IUB vs. Depaul vs. Chicago-Kent

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
nadiab420

IUB vs. Depaul vs. Chicago-Kent

Postby nadiab420 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:08 pm

Accepted to Depaul w/ 45k
Kent w/ 30k
IU-B w/ 105k.

I'd ideally want to practice in Chicago, and I've been hearing Indiana places a good amount of grads into Chi. Question is--would it be smarter to go to school in Chicago or take my chances with the higher ranked school + more money?

ArchRoark

Re: IUB vs. Depaul vs. Chicago-Kent

Postby ArchRoark » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:10 pm

nadiab420 wrote:Accepted to Depaul w/ 45k
Kent w/ 30k
IU-B w/ 105k.

I'd ideally want to practice in Chicago, and I've been hearing Indiana places a good amount of grads into Chi. Question is--would it be smarter to go to school in Chicago or take my chances with the higher ranked school + more money?

Easy choice... IU-B. Solid T1 in the region you want to practice with a larger scholly vs T2 with a much lower scholly.

lolschool2011

Postby lolschool2011 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:11 pm

nadiab420 wrote:Accepted to Depaul w/ 45k
Kent w/ 30k
IU-B w/ 105k.

wtf? IUB gave you MORE than DePaul and Kent? That seems ass-backwards, but great job. I'd definitely go w/IUB.

Postby 09042014 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:18 pm

IUB probably doesn't place any better than the Depaul or Kent in chicago. But being so much cheaper it's the clear choice.

lolschool2011

Postby lolschool2011 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:05 pm

Desert Fox wrote:IUB probably doesn't place any better than the Depaul or Kent in chicago. But being so much cheaper it's the clear choice.

Yes, but I think it would place better throughout the midwest and in other markets. I know OP said "ideally like to practice in Chicago" but that can change after 3 years and it's good to have the most options. In any case, IUB is clear winner over other two, even if the $$ was reversed, imo.

Postby 09042014 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:09 pm

lolschool2011 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:IUB probably doesn't place any better than the Depaul or Kent in chicago. But being so much cheaper it's the clear choice.

Yes, but I think it would place better throughout the midwest and in other markets. I know OP said "ideally like to practice in Chicago" but that can change after 3 years and it's good to have the most options. In any case, IUB is clear winner over other two, even if the $$ was reversed, imo.

IUB places much worse than it's ranking implies. Loyola and Kent did better than IUB in the NLJ250 for Class of 2009.

nadiab420

Postby nadiab420 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:44 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
lolschool2011 wrote:

IUB places much worse than it's ranking implies. Loyola and Kent did better than IUB in the NLJ250 for Class of 2009.

Yeah that's what I was afraid of, IUB seems to be quite overranked. And apparently Kent places a little better than it's ranking implies. Would you all suggest negotiating money out of either Chicago school and what would be enough to consider going? I probably wouldn't get a full match of the Indiana offer. I was waitlisted at Illinois, but am not counting on an acceptance because my stats are just too low from what I see they are admitting. So my best shot at Chicago is pretty much these 3 schools. Thanks for any suggestions!

Postby 09042014 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:55 pm

nadiab420 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
lolschool2011 wrote:

Yeah that's what I was afraid of, IUB seems to be quite overranked. And apparently Kent places a little better than it's ranking implies. Would you all suggest negotiating money out of either Chicago school and what would be enough to consider going? I probably wouldn't get a full match of the Indiana offer. I was waitlisted at Illinois, but am not counting on an acceptance because my stats are just too low from what I see they are admitting. So my best shot at Chicago is pretty much these 3 schools. Thanks for any suggestions!

You can try to negotiate.

However some of IUB's lack of placement in NLJ250 could be explained that Chicago medium sized firms are NLJ250, and a lot of Indiana firms are just too small.

IUB probably has cost of living savings you should factor as well. Chicago is expensive to live in.

Try negotiating for more money.

ArghItsBlarg

Postby ArghItsBlarg » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:53 pm

Definitely look to negotiate more money. It certainly doesn't hurt. Looking at your numbers (and speaking as a 0L with no experience in actually doing this) I'd say first contact Kent and mention your scholarships to the other two. When/If you get more from Kent, present that to DePaul or Indiana, and then finally to the third. I would suggest that, should you have one school in particular that you like best, save that one for last.

Historically Kent seems to be a bit more generous than DePaul, so I'm surprised to see the opposite in your numbers. On a personal level, having visited both schools, I hands-down prefer the campus of Kent over DePaul.

Both DePaul and Kent have tremendous alumni networks in Chicago (I can't speak to Indiana as I never looked at going there). Given the market's high level of over-saturation, I would say go where you get the most money so as to minimize your debt coming out of school.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:00 pm

Cheapest option (so that means IUB), but I say that because of debt and because having Indiana as a backup option is much better than being screwed if you strike out of Chicago (like what could happen at DePaul or Kent).

If you really want Chicago and nothing else then try to haggle with DePaul and Kent for more $, but IUB is definitely the best/safest option overall.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”