Which environmental law school?? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
jackson28

New

Which environmental law school??

Post by jackson28 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:10 pm

I've started late in the game, but I really want to pursue environmental law.

I took the December test and scored a 158 (had a bad test day all my PTs were 162-165).
Im a triple major UG (in journalism, environmental geography, and history) at Syracuse and I have a 3.75 gpa

These are the schools I'm applying to:
--Univ Colorado
--Univ Maryland
--Lewis and Clark College
--Pace
--Univ Oregon

What are my chances at the top50 ones (CU and maryland)?
Also would it serve me best to attend the best law school I get accepted to, or to attend a lower tier school like Lewis&Clark or Pace that has a top3 environmental law program?
Should I take the Feb Lsat? Should I wait a year?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

bk1

Diamond

Re: Which environmental law school??

Post by bk1 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:13 pm

Wait a year and retake is the best advice. If Feb is too soon then just go for June.

The specialty rankings don't mean anything. If you had to choose between these schools, you would be best off deciding based on how big a scholarship you got and/or where you want to practice (i.e. do you want to work in Maryland or Oregon or wherever) because these degrees are not portable.

jackson28

New

Post by jackson28 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:42 pm

So would a JD from CU or Maryland would strongly outweigh the benefits of a JD from Pace?

I'm content with practicing in Maryland, Oregon, or Colorado. Also, are my chances good (>60-70%) of getting into the best of these schools this cycle?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:45 pm

Check http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com to compare your numbers to others and see how likely it was for them to get into those schools.

Even so, I'd recommend taking this cycle off and retake/reapply next cycle.

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:48 pm

Based on your current numbers I'd say you have poor chances at CU.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Perch

Silver

Post by Perch » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:05 pm

Oregon, they have a sweet brochure. :)

concurrent fork

Silver

Post by concurrent fork » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:09 pm

please retake

zonto

Bronze

Post by zonto » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:06 am

Semi-longshot, but University of Washington has a good environmental law (re: hippie) program I hear.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:31 am

Specialty rankings are meaningless. Do not make decisions based on them. Make decisions based on $ and where you want to end up working.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

whitman

Silver

Post by whitman » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:45 am

zonto wrote:Semi-longshot, but University of Washington has a good environmental law (re: hippie) program I hear.
What does this mean exactly? Where do they place these environmental lawyers? Firms in Seattle? Seattle PI? Serious questions.

zonto

Bronze

Post by zonto » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:51 pm

whitman wrote:
zonto wrote:Semi-longshot, but University of Washington has a good environmental law (re: hippie) program I hear.
What does this mean exactly? Where do they place these environmental lawyers? Firms in Seattle? Seattle PI? Serious questions.
Sorry, didn't see your response until today. I honestly haven't looked into the program much since it doesn't interest me much, but here's what I found today:

UW Environmental Law homepage -- Note the links in the left sidebar to find more info there

Externship information -- Also talks about ties with organizations, possible employment opportunity there (in addition to externship/summer work)

Class of 2008 Employers -- Vast majority in Seattle, then the rest of Washington, a few in California, some JAG stuff and other federal positions as well.

Top-Law-Schools blurb on UW -- Synopsis: "The University of Washington Law School has long been considered the finest law school in the Northwest, and perpetuates this reputation with its continued access to the region’s top law firms and clerkship opportunities. Especially for applicants hoping to secure employment in Seattle and the state of Washington, UW is a great place to pursue a legal education."

irishvt14

Bronze

Post by irishvt14 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:12 pm

I realize you are shooting for a school with a good ranking, but have you even considered Vermont Law? It has an increidble environmental law program. And you'd have a good chance of getting a hefty scholarship with your numbers (they don't give out many, so it might be too late in the cycle for you).
--LinkRemoved--

Adjudicator

Silver

Post by Adjudicator » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:14 pm

rad law wrote:Specialty rankings are meaningless. Do not make decisions based on them. Make decisions based on $ and where you want to end up working.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jackattack17

Bronze

Post by jackattack17 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:14 pm

check out tulane and florida state, though they might be reaches for you. tulane is less regional than the others you're looking at and has a really good program.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:17 pm

irishvt14 wrote:I realize you are shooting for a school with a good ranking, but have you even considered Vermont Law? It has an increidble environmental law program. And you'd have a good chance of getting a hefty scholarship with your numbers (they don't give out many, so it might be too late in the cycle for you).
--LinkRemoved--
Adjudicator wrote:
rad law wrote:Specialty rankings are meaningless. Do not make decisions based on them. Make decisions based on $ and where you want to end up working.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”