UVA (sticker) vs Vanderbilt ($$)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

UVA or Vanderbilt

UVA (Sticker)
41
49%
Vandy (Half Tuition)
43
51%
 
Total votes: 84

duckmoney
Posts: 886
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:21 pm

UVA (sticker) vs Vanderbilt ($$)

Postby duckmoney » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:19 pm

Surprised no one has done a thread on this before.

Somewhat hypothetical at this point because financial aid offers haven't come out yet for me, but I'm expecting little if any money from UVA and a decent amount (half tuition ish) from Vandy.

Any thoughts on whether Virginia would be worth the extra $$?

About me:
Not huge prestige whore
Want to work in a decent-paying firm in the Southeast or TX, and especially Florida (Jax would be awesome)
Federal Clerkship ambitions

User avatar
Cavalier
Posts: 1994
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: UVA (sticker) vs Vanderbilt ($$)

Postby Cavalier » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:24 pm

I think the right amount of money could make Vanderbilt the better choice for some, but not a half-tuition scholarship. The majority of students at UVA will get big law, and I don't think that's true for Vanderbilt. And UVA's federal clerkship placement is also much better. Without more money, UVA is the clear winner.

User avatar
joeshmo39
Posts: 533
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:15 am

Re: UVA (sticker) vs Vanderbilt ($$)

Postby joeshmo39 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:30 pm

Cavalier wrote:I think the right amount of money could make Vanderbilt the better choice for some, but not a half-tuition scholarship. The majority of students at UVA will get big law, and I don't think that's true for Vanderbilt. And UVA's federal clerkship placement is also much better. Without more money, UVA is the clear winner.


Will we? I'm more skeptical. At this point it's sort of a toss-up I think and I could see picking either one. It would involve more knowledge of the reputation of UVA and Vandy in your target markets. I know where I am know one knows UVA and someone literally told me they had not heard of it. I mean that's super weird to just have not heard of a state school, our existence sort of stands to reason.

albanach
Posts: 1011
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:05 pm

Re: UVA (sticker) vs Vanderbilt ($$)

Postby albanach » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:39 pm

joeshmo39 wrote:I know where I am know one knows UVA and someone literally told me they had not heard of it. I mean that's super weird to just have not heard of a state school, our existence sort of stands to reason.


Were they a potential legal employer?

ksimon2007
Posts: 532
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:23 pm

Re: UVA (sticker) vs Vanderbilt ($$)

Postby ksimon2007 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:45 pm

I will likely be looking at a similar situation. I would like to work in Virginia or D.C. and have spent my undergraduate years in the state so UVA makes the most sense on several levels, but I do like Vandy quite a bit and will visit both places before deciding. Furthermore, prestige whore or not there is something special about going to one of the top 10 law schools in the country. UVA offers flexibility not offered by Vanderbilt I would guess.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: UVA (sticker) vs Vanderbilt ($$)

Postby Grizz » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:56 pm

I'm not a big fan of sticker outside HYSCCN. But UVA has undeniable better job prospects, biglaw and clerkship. If you MUST have DC, go to UVA. If you MUST have NY, take UVA.

But for markets like Jax, it's not as clear cut. I'm from FL, and in smaller, more insular markets, a lot of it comes down to ties, connections, and networking. Where do you have connections? Without meaningful connections to Texas, it's gonna be really tough. Same with Jax probably. UVA is still more prestigious, yes, but in this kind of environment, I don't know that it's worth paying for.

If you had the numbers to get into UVA RD, enjoy big money from Vandy I expect. They throw out gobs of cash. Wait on the money, but with your career goals, I'm leaning Vandy.

User avatar
Cavalier
Posts: 1994
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: UVA (sticker) vs Vanderbilt ($$)

Postby Cavalier » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:05 pm

joeshmo39 wrote:
Cavalier wrote:I think the right amount of money could make Vanderbilt the better choice for some, but not a half-tuition scholarship. The majority of students at UVA will get big law, and I don't think that's true for Vanderbilt. And UVA's federal clerkship placement is also much better. Without more money, UVA is the clear winner.


Will we? I'm more skeptical. At this point it's sort of a toss-up I think and I could see picking either one. It would involve more knowledge of the reputation of UVA and Vandy in your target markets. I know where I am know one knows UVA and someone literally told me they had not heard of it. I mean that's super weird to just have not heard of a state school, our existence sort of stands to reason.

While career services hasn't released the data, I'd be extremely surprised if a majority of students in the class of 2012 did not get big law. And things will only improve from here.

User avatar
vamedic03
Posts: 1579
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:50 am

Re: UVA (sticker) vs Vanderbilt ($$)

Postby vamedic03 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:00 pm

joeshmo39 wrote:
Cavalier wrote:I think the right amount of money could make Vanderbilt the better choice for some, but not a half-tuition scholarship. The majority of students at UVA will get big law, and I don't think that's true for Vanderbilt. And UVA's federal clerkship placement is also much better. Without more money, UVA is the clear winner.


Will we? I'm more skeptical. At this point it's sort of a toss-up I think and I could see picking either one. It would involve more knowledge of the reputation of UVA and Vandy in your target markets. I know where I am know one knows UVA and someone literally told me they had not heard of it. I mean that's super weird to just have not heard of a state school, our existence sort of stands to reason.


Don't make your career decisions based on lay persons. UVA has been ranked within the T-14 since US News first released the ranking system in the 1980's. Further, UVA's undergrad has consistently been ranked the #1 or #2 public university by US News for the past 2 decades. Finally, Thomas Jefferson. (The man felt so proud of his creating UVA that it's one of the 3 accomplishments he wanted placed on his gravestone.)

User avatar
buckilaw
Posts: 840
Joined: Fri May 07, 2010 1:27 am

Re: UVA (sticker) vs Vanderbilt ($$)

Postby buckilaw » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:59 pm

With your goals I think you should try to keep your debt down. So the extra prestige of UVA is likely not worth the extra money for your situation. Though if you really want to clerk I imagine UVA would be the better choice.

User avatar
RVP11
Posts: 2774
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:32 pm

Re: UVA (sticker) vs Vanderbilt ($$)

Postby RVP11 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:33 pm

rad law wrote:If you MUST have DC, don't go to law school


FTFY, bro.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: UVA (sticker) vs Vanderbilt ($$)

Postby Grizz » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:38 am

RVP11 wrote:
rad law wrote:If you MUST have DC, don't go to law school


FTFY, bro.


I agree wholeheartedly

SrLaw
Posts: 588
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:10 pm

Re: UVA (sticker) vs Vanderbilt ($$)

Postby SrLaw » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:02 pm

Vandy

User avatar
drylo
Posts: 291
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:41 am

Re: UVA (sticker) vs Vanderbilt ($$)

Postby drylo » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:17 am

rad law wrote:But for markets like Jax, it's not as clear cut. I'm from FL, and in smaller, more insular markets, a lot of it comes down to ties, connections, and networking. Where do you have connections? Without meaningful connections to Texas, it's gonna be really tough. Same with Jax probably. UVA is still more prestigious, yes, but in this kind of environment, I don't know that it's worth paying for.


I basically agree with this. I'm not a huge fan of paying full price anyway, but in this case, I think it comes down to the fact that both Vandy and UVA are higher-ranked schools than any in the state of Florida. Because of that, I think the difference between the two is probably not that important. In either case (assuming good grades), you will stand out from applicants at UF or FSU (or wherever else in-state). If you want to be in Jax, I would take money at Vandy over UVA.

I have to clarify that the most important part of getting a job in Jax is likely having ties to Jax, though. If you aren't from there, spouse from there, etc., I would expect you to have a hard time from either Vandy or UVA.

duckmoney
Posts: 886
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: UVA (sticker) vs Vanderbilt ($$)

Postby duckmoney » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:57 pm

So tl;dr version of this thread seems to be:

If you want Jax and have ties (I do), take the money and run.
If you want pretty much anything else, go to UVA.

Sound about right?

User avatar
drylo
Posts: 291
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:41 am

Re: UVA (sticker) vs Vanderbilt ($$)

Postby drylo » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:32 pm

duckmoney wrote:So tl;dr version of this thread seems to be:

If you want Jax and have ties (I do), take the money and run.
If you want pretty much anything else, go to UVA.

Sound about right?


Well... I wouldn't go that far.

I think the part about Jax is right on.

Regarding "if you want pretty much anything else"... Cavalier says: "Without more money [than half-tuition at Vanderbilt], UVA is the clear winner." I say: I turned down full tuition at UVA to go to Vanderbilt. Granted, my decision is rather unconventional, and the fact that I was interested in practicing in Nashville (although not exclusively interested in Nashville) factored into my law school decision. However, my argument would be that the law school decision process is way too nuanced for across-the-board statements. It is all about what you want. If you want to work at a gigantic firm in DC, you probably have a slightly better chance (statistically speaking) to do that out of UVA... although a number of people also do that every year out of Vandy. Arguably, Vandy even has some advantages because of a smaller class size (and maybe (?) more people like me who don't want to work 80 hours/week at the biggest firm in the biggest city) means that instead of competing against 200 classmates for that DC job, you are only competing against 100.

But at any rate, the point is that UVA will set you up better for some goals than others. Vandy will set you up better for some goals than others. The money is also a consideration, and you are likely to be have to pay less to go to Vandy. And that may largely answer the question by itself for some people, while others may not care.

Honestly, if your goal is to do the Jax thing, my previous two paragraphs are meaningless. If you have other goals, throw them out there for discussion, but I don't think the consensus on this thread (and certainly not from me) was that UVA is definitely the best option for any other goal.

duckmoney
Posts: 886
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: UVA (sticker) vs Vanderbilt ($$)

Postby duckmoney » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:38 pm

Thanks for the thorough response Drylo. I'm visiting both schools in the next few weeks so I might rekindle the thread w/ new information.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests