GWU PT worth sticker

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
androstan

GWU PT worth sticker

Postby androstan » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:05 pm

Got into GWU PT with a 2.9/163/167 - accept/169. Doubt very heavily I'll get any $ since I think I slipped in by the skin of my teeth on a strong PS and some strong softs.

Patent BAR eligible, taking it in a couple months. Accepted at GMU, AU, IIT (15k/yr), UNH (35k/year). Waiting to hear from GULC PT ED (pretty sure autoding) and BU (slim chance).

Married, 27 years old. Is GWU worth the hefty price tag, considering it gets overshadowed in its own region by at least GULC and UVA, and probably most of the rest of the top 14?

bk1

Re: GWU PT worth sticker

Postby bk1 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:07 pm

Would you be working during the day? If so, how much debt would you actually have at graduation?

I've heard that GW is not a bad idea if you plan on doing IP.

androstan

Postby androstan » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:19 pm

bk1 wrote:Would you be working during the day? If so, how much debt would you actually have at graduation?

I've heard that GW is not a bad idea if you plan on doing IP.

I suppose that would mitigate the debt somewhat. However, I don't plan on working full time. That would just be shooting myself in the foot for class rank and GPA.

My wife would be making 40k/year in a residency for at least the 1st year, possibly 1st and 2nd. I would probably make around 15k in the first year teaching at a community college part-time as an adjunct. I suppose that more or less covers the 1st year of tuition and living expenses.

We already have 100k in student loans from her pharm school though haha.

ran12

Postby ran12 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:32 pm

If you do work during the day, even if it's not full time, GW would be good at sticker for IP. People say most schools aren't worth sticker, DC market sucks, and other stuff like that but GW still does well enough and the city is full of GW grads. Also, I don't think GW is really behind UVA for placement in DC. I went to GW undergrad and have met a lot of lawyers and people in gov't, and the general consensus is that GW is well respected.

androstan

Postby androstan » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:50 pm

ran12 wrote:If you do work during the day, even if it's not full time, GW would be good at sticker for IP. People say most schools aren't worth sticker, DC market sucks, and other stuff like that but GW still does well enough and the city is full of GW grads. Also, I don't think GW is really behind UVA for placement in DC. I went to GW undergrad and have met a lot of lawyers and people in gov't, and the general consensus is that GW is well respected.

Thanks for sharing your personal experience ran. I'm almost certain I'm going here next fall. Unless I get into BU too, that'll be a serious decision to make.

Teoeo

Postby Teoeo » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:56 pm

I think your choice is between GM and GW. I am not sure which is the objectively right move, but I don't think going to GW would be a mistake because we do especially well in IP. Having said that, I think you would be justified in saving some money and going to GM.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:01 pm

If you work during the day and are IPSECURE, not a bad idea.

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:03 pm

Last edited by Big Shrimpin on Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

androstan

Postby androstan » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:09 pm

Teoeo wrote:I think your choice is between GM and GW. I am not sure which is the objectively right move, but I don't think going to GW would be a mistake because we do especially well in IP. Having said that, I think you would be justified in saving some money and going to GM.

I am not in-state to GM.

androstan

Postby androstan » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:14 pm

rad law wrote:If you work during the day and are IPSECURE, not a bad idea.

What's "IPSECURE"?

androstan

Postby androstan » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:22 pm

Big Shrimpin wrote:GW is a good choice if you want IP. Keep in mind, though, that you'll still need to do pretty well if you want a biglaw jorb. Of course, as is with IP, your work experience and UG degree will be almost as important as your grades. If you've got an in-demand degree, good WE, and you interview really well, then you've probably got a pretty good shot at a biglaw gig if you're grades aren't stellar.

FWIW, all the IP people I know here (that's like 5 or 6, so take this advice with a grain of salt) have biglaw jorbs lined up next summer. GW's OCI was spectacular for IP gigs (I used up ALL my bids on firms looking solely for science/technical background people...that's like 35ish bids). PM me for more information about my cycle if you want.

Out of the schools you listed, GW is TCR. Your GPA is going to hurt you, unless you retake and apply to NW (if you've got good WE). Other than that, you've got a tough road to hoe at most other T14s.

GL!

My UG is in chemistry and chem engr and my master's is in chem.

It's hard for me to estimate how well I'll do in law school. My graduate GPA was 3.64 and my UGPA my last year was around the same. My last year was intense, I took senior level chemistry and chem engr. My graduate work was pretty intense too, statistical mechanics, quantum mechanics, kinetics, etc.

My work experience is not stellar, I manage chemical databases at NIST.

Are there appreciable opportunities outside biglaw for people in my situation? What if I get middling grades and am not the greatest interviewer?

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:23 pm

androstan wrote:

What's "IPSECURE"?

It means you have the necessary background and ability to do IP, which is actually somewhat in demand. Refers to the ability of IP people to snag biglaw jorbz.

androstan

Postby androstan » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:05 pm

rad law wrote:
androstan wrote:

What's "IPSECURE"?

It means you have the necessary background and ability to do IP, which is actually somewhat in demand. Refers to the ability of IP people to snag biglaw jorbz.

That's what I'm hoping...

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:13 pm

I don't plan on working full time. That would just be shooting myself in the foot for class rank and GPA.

This is so bogus. The people who do the best out of these PT programs are the smartest people, usually the patent law clerks, who are working full time.

If you have a job I would stay at it full time. That is a 100% chance of making a living right there. Slowing down to focus all your efforts on GW law school gives you about a 33% chance of making a living, according to the consensus I hear.

androstan

Postby androstan » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:33 pm

MrAnon wrote:
I don't plan on working full time. That would just be shooting myself in the foot for class rank and GPA.

This is so bogus. The people who do the best out of these PT programs are the smartest people...

Brilliant.

MrAnon wrote:If you have a job I would stay at it full time. That is a 100% chance of making a living right there. Slowing down to focus all your efforts on GW law school gives you about a 33% chance of making a living, according to the consensus I hear.

I have no job security where I'm at. It's not a permanent position and I don't really wanna stay here anyway. I hate what I do and there is little room for advancement.

I've applied to the USPTO, still waiting and hoping, but not really getting my hopes up. They're deluged with applications and my UGPA just isn't very good. However, if I were to get a position there I would take it in a heartbeat and do as you said. The actual work experience with chemical patents would be priceless. Worth more than the few tenths of a GPA point.

androstan

Postby androstan » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:00 pm

The USPTO has an intern/extern program over the summer I might do before I enter GW. It's unpaid, which sucks, but could boost my chances for a good 1L summer job?

thegor1987

Postby thegor1987 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:09 pm

Congratulations on your acceptance! I am trying to figure out my next move on getting into IP. I have thought about going to a PT program while working full-time as an option. i think GW is about the best option you can possibly have when it comes to going PT for IP

I think you mentioned chemical patents, are you Chem. E or Chemistry?

androstan

Postby androstan » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:11 pm

thegor1987 wrote:Congratulations on your acceptance! I am trying to figure out my next move on getting into IP. I have thought about going to a PT program while working full-time as an option. i think GW is about the best option you can possibly have when it comes to going PT for IP

I think you mentioned chemical patents, are you Chem. E or Chemistry?

Thanks! I was really stoked about the acceptance. As bad as the economy is, GW is still pretty strong.

GULC is probably your best bet to go PT, even for IP, but GW is good too.

I have a BS in chemistry and chem engr, a master's in chemistry. I'm up for either.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”