Georgetown sticker vs Duke sticker Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
ran12

Silver

Re: Georgetown sticker vs Duke sticker

Post by ran12 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:35 pm

Never pick a school based on their LRAP. The reason for this is that you may be interested in PI but it makes so much more sense to go into biglaw or clerkship then lateral to big law than starting with PI; which you prob would have to do for 10 years to get your loans paid off. If you really wanna do PI, make your money first then do it once you have a comfortable life. You can't help others if you can't help yourself first.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:41 pm

ran12 wrote:Never pick a school based on their LRAP. The reason for this is that you may be interested in PI but it makes so much more sense to go into biglaw or clerkship then lateral to big law than starting with PI; which you prob would have to do for 10 years to get your loans paid off. If you really wanna do PI, make your money first then do it once you have a comfortable life. You can't help others if you can't help yourself first.
You make it sound like they just hand out biglaw and clerkships.

Heck, you're advocating not only to not choose based on LRAP, but never to use it. You do realize how insane biglaw is? There are a lot of people who really don't want to put in those hours and there is nothing wrong with that.

johnnyutah

Gold

Post by johnnyutah » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:43 pm

bk187 wrote:You do realize how insane biglaw is? There are a lot of people who really don't want to put in those hours and there is nothing wrong with that.
And even more who want it, but don't get it.

ran12

Silver

Post by ran12 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:47 pm

bk187 wrote:
ran12 wrote:Never pick a school based on their LRAP. The reason for this is that you may be interested in PI but it makes so much more sense to go into biglaw or clerkship then lateral to big law than starting with PI; which you prob would have to do for 10 years to get your loans paid off. If you really wanna do PI, make your money first then do it once you have a comfortable life. You can't help others if you can't help yourself first.
You make it sound like they just hand out biglaw and clerkships.

Heck, you're advocating not only to not choose based on LRAP, but never to use it. You do realize how insane biglaw is? There are a lot of people who really don't want to put in those hours and there is nothing wrong with that.
I'm just saying you never know what will happen and to pick a school that gives you the best opportunities, and I believe Duke has better opportunities. I guess I went a little overboard saying never pick based on LRAP but there are tons of people who want to do PI but end up doing something else for whatever reason. Plus, from what I've heard, to get PI positions, you have to have pretty good grades and you don't know what will happen. In case you graduate below median, Duke degree is better than Gtown one.

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:52 pm

bk187 wrote:What's a 30k scholarship when you're already close to or over 200k worth of debt?

That's why I called the CoL difference negligible.
This is stupid. The difference is $30,000, which must still be paid, with interest.

The fact that you have six figures of debt doesn't make it monopoly money debt.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:53 pm

if you want to do public interest just go get a job in the field now. Deciding which school to go to based on which school has the better program to forgive your debts is about the silliest thing ever heard of. public interest needs leaders and executives, not lawyers.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:05 pm

ran12 wrote:I'm just saying you never know what will happen and to pick a school that gives you the best opportunities, and I believe Duke has better opportunities. I guess I went a little overboard saying never pick based on LRAP but there are tons of people who want to do PI but end up doing something else for whatever reason. Plus, from what I've heard, to get PI positions, you have to have pretty good grades and you don't know what will happen. In case you graduate below median, Duke degree is better than Gtown one.
PI is hard to get, so is biglaw. It's not like you can miss out on PI and then just fall back on biglaw. Graduating below median at Duke or GULC with sticker debt is going to be really rough no matter what. The difference for somebody below median between those two schools is largely negligible.
sundance95 wrote:This is stupid. The difference is $30,000, which must still be paid, with interest.

The fact that you have six figures of debt doesn't make it monopoly money debt.
My point was more along the lines that whether you have $180k or $210k debt, you're going to basically need biglaw or LRAP to dig you out of it in any sort of reasonable time. 30k is negligible because it doesn't give you the option to be any lower in your class and being okay with missing out on PI or biglaw (i.e. take a lower paying job than biglaw or one that LRAP covers, like a smalllaw position).

ran12

Silver

Post by ran12 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:06 pm

I didn't mean fall back on biglaw if you can't get PI. I mean't that if you don't do well then you'll have to go into small or mid law and in that instance, Duke is better b/c I believe Duke has better opportunities.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:08 pm

ran12 wrote:I didn't mean fall back on biglaw if you can't get PI. I mean't that if you don't do well then you'll have to go into small or mid law and in that instance, Duke is better b/c I believe Duke has better opportunities.
Better opportunities for small and midlaw? You're under soulcrushing debt and going into smalllaw/midlaw, you're fucked no matter what.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

johnnyutah

Gold

Post by johnnyutah » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:17 pm

ran12 wrote:I didn't mean fall back on biglaw if you can't get PI. I mean't that if you don't do well then you'll have to go into small or mid law and in that instance, Duke is better b/c I believe Duke has better opportunities.
Small law = PI salary without the LRAP.
Mid law = nothing.

ran12

Silver

Post by ran12 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:18 pm

bk187 wrote:
Better opportunities for small and midlaw? You're under soulcrushing debt and going into smalllaw/midlaw, you're fucked no matter what.
That may be the case but if you can't get PI or biglaw, you still need a job. Worse case scenario is that you end up in small or mid law and Duke is the better option. That's why I'm arguing don't pick school based on LRAP b/c you never know what will happen. There's no safety net for loans so might as well pick the better school.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:20 pm

ran12 wrote:That may be the case but if you can't get PI or biglaw, you still need a job. Worse case scenario is that you end up in small or mid law and Duke is the better option. That's why I'm arguing don't pick school based on LRAP b/c you never know what will happen. There's no safety net for loans so might as well pick the better school.
You're saying that you're more likely to be employed out of Duke than GULC?

Or are you saying that you're likely to end up at a better small/midlaw place coming from Duke than GULC?

Whichever, the difference seems negligible.

ran12

Silver

Post by ran12 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:23 pm

bk187 wrote:
ran12 wrote:That may be the case but if you can't get PI or biglaw, you still need a job. Worse case scenario is that you end up in small or mid law and Duke is the better option. That's why I'm arguing don't pick school based on LRAP b/c you never know what will happen. There's no safety net for loans so might as well pick the better school.
You're saying that you're more likely to be employed out of Duke than GULC?

Or are you saying that you're likely to end up at a better small/midlaw place coming from Duke than GULC?

Whichever, the difference seems negligible.
I'm saying you're more likely to be employed overall out of Duke. It's my opinion and others can have theirs. I respect your viewpoint on it. But logically since Duke's classes are so much smaller and it does have pretty good prestige, it's more likely to be employed coming out of it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mrmangs

Silver

Post by mrmangs » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:40 pm

How has QuakerOats not posted here yet? In this case, he'd be right.

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:03 pm

ran12 wrote:
I'm saying you're more likely to be employed overall out of Duke. It's my opinion and others can have theirs. I respect your viewpoint on it. But logically since Duke's classes are so much smaller and it does have pretty good prestige, it's more likely to be employed coming out of it.
That's not really an opinion so much as an assertion of fact, that is in this case unsubstantiated. And the idea that smaller class size = more opportunities would make sense "logically" only if you assume that around the same numbers of employers are going to recruit there for around the same number of jobs, which isn't the case.

It may very well be the case that opportunities are better out of duke (though if they are, the difference is probably negligible), but no one has provided any information to indicate that.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:48 pm

Marionberry wrote:
ran12 wrote:
That's not really an opinion so much as an assertion of fact, that is in this case unsubstantiated.
This.

@ran12: You're also discounting alumni base as a plus for GULC. Even if you are more likely to be generally employed out of Duke, the difference is likely negligible. Even so, once you start hitting submedian, it is more about hustling than the fact that you go to Duke rather than GULC.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”