OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
Justathought
Posts: 977
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:16 pm

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby Justathought » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:24 pm

JazzOne wrote:
delusional wrote:
JazzOne wrote:I should also note that I came from a teaching job, and it was difficult (i.e., impossible) to tie that into a law career. However, I also had some previous experience managing a mortgage company, so I thought that would help me with the corporate firms. It didn't. They were really suspicious of my career changes, and one partner asked me flat out why I wouldn't be a flight risk for his firm. By that point, I was so tired of the bullshit and rejections, that I just blurted out the truth. I said, "Look, I've made a lot of mistakes in my life, and now I'm fixing them." His jaw hit the ground, and he told me not to say that again in another interview. Then he hired me. Go figure.

I wonder how risky that is in general. Would it work on personal statements and background essays? I kind of struggled with it - I mean, let's be honest, people don't leave undergrad planning to work for seven years, and then uproot their family to go into law. If you're over 30-ish, it's because you either made mistakes and want to correct them, or at least learned some lessons in the school of hard knocks. But you don't want to say that in your applications, do you? because that undermines your whole background, if you're turning your back on it.

This particular partner had a prior career before law. He gave me some advice for the rest of my interviews. He said to respond like this: "I am not a flight risk because I have experienced different fields of work, and now that I have those experiences, I can make a mature choice about what I'd look to do going forward." I'm paraphrasing here. Basically, you need to start acting like a lawyer now. Never admit that you have any professional weaknesses. Always turn them around into a positives.


So safe. So credited. So not as awesome as what you said! :wink:

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby JazzOne » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:25 pm

Justathought wrote:
JazzOne wrote:
delusional wrote:
JazzOne wrote:I should also note that I came from a teaching job, and it was difficult (i.e., impossible) to tie that into a law career. However, I also had some previous experience managing a mortgage company, so I thought that would help me with the corporate firms. It didn't. They were really suspicious of my career changes, and one partner asked me flat out why I wouldn't be a flight risk for his firm. By that point, I was so tired of the bullshit and rejections, that I just blurted out the truth. I said, "Look, I've made a lot of mistakes in my life, and now I'm fixing them." His jaw hit the ground, and he told me not to say that again in another interview. Then he hired me. Go figure.

I wonder how risky that is in general. Would it work on personal statements and background essays? I kind of struggled with it - I mean, let's be honest, people don't leave undergrad planning to work for seven years, and then uproot their family to go into law. If you're over 30-ish, it's because you either made mistakes and want to correct them, or at least learned some lessons in the school of hard knocks. But you don't want to say that in your applications, do you? because that undermines your whole background, if you're turning your back on it.

This particular partner had a prior career before law. He gave me some advice for the rest of my interviews. He said to respond like this: "I am not a flight risk because I have experienced different fields of work, and now that I have those experiences, I can make a mature choice about what I'd look to do going forward." I'm paraphrasing here. Basically, you need to start acting like a lawyer now. Never admit that you have any professional weaknesses. Always turn them around into a positives.


So safe. So credited. So not as awesome as what you said! :wink:

lol

It would not have worked with a different partner. This guy was a former spy for the defense department. He told me at the end of my interview that he appreciates honesty and that he can smell bullshit a mile a way.

pkt63
Posts: 282
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:06 pm

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby pkt63 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:14 pm

delusional wrote:
JazzOne wrote:I should also note that I came from a teaching job, and it was difficult (i.e., impossible) to tie that into a law career. However, I also had some previous experience managing a mortgage company, so I thought that would help me with the corporate firms. It didn't. They were really suspicious of my career changes, and one partner asked me flat out why I wouldn't be a flight risk for his firm. By that point, I was so tired of the bullshit and rejections, that I just blurted out the truth. I said, "Look, I've made a lot of mistakes in my life, and now I'm fixing them." His jaw hit the ground, and he told me not to say that again in another interview. Then he hired me. Go figure.

I wonder how risky that is in general. Would it work on personal statements and background essays? I kind of struggled with it - I mean, let's be honest, people don't leave undergrad planning to work for seven years, and then uproot their family to go into law. If you're over 30-ish, it's because you either made mistakes and want to correct them, or at least learned some lessons in the school of hard knocks. But you don't want to say that in your applications, do you? because that undermines your whole background, if you're turning your back on it.

This was basically my situation and I used it in my personal statement. I had a full decade for one employer (but changing slightly departments, and progressing quickly up the ladder) and I talked about the irony of leaving that fantastic job where I was making a lot of money (probably more than I will start at in 3 years) in the worst economy since the GD. (I already left it, am not leaving for law school). I didn't say this baldly in the statement, but I was no longer happy with that job no matter how great it looked on paper, and I had some interesting other (temporary) opportunities. So, I tried to kind of spin it that life is taking a different direction, but also one that is built upon that decade long career I had (because I could tie in a lot of the work I did to some degree). It was risky, but I wasn't willing to completely lie and say that I loved my career and I just needed this degree to take it to the next level, but I also didn't want to completely say that I hated it and needed a respectable change. Neither is true, and the truth is it really is somwhere in the middle. I learned a lot of great things at my career. I just didn't want to do that particular job anymore. I have no doubt it will be an invaluable background for me, but I don't want it to pigeonhole me going forward, either. Let's hope it doesn't sound too wishy washy for my other two schools, but I am already in at what may be my perfect fit, so, I'm hoping I can keep being fairly honest and make it work for the new career.

User avatar
KMaine
Posts: 862
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:57 pm

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby KMaine » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:55 pm

KMaine wrote:
kalvano wrote:My previous job was sales, and I was told that was a plus by people "in the know". Especially for being in a courtroom.


Then you should sell sales, it seems logical to me.


I will say that firms did not seem to be impressed that I was a successful admissions director at a private high school, a college athlete, or the coach of a nationally ranked high school soccer team. Also, people who do not do hiring seem to seriously underestimate how hard it is to get a job these days. Not trying to be a downer; I would take the risk of law school again, but I do feel that I was extremely fortunate to snag a SA considering my age.

ArghItsBlarg
Posts: 204
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:21 pm

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby ArghItsBlarg » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:41 pm

This thread has sat stagnant far too long. I thought old people liked to talk interminably!

I'm currently going mad while waiting for feedback on a full-ride scholarship at Chicago-Kent and Northwestern's financial aid offer in general. Currently hoping against hope that I'll be one of the lucky scholarshipped at NU.

I'm also now wondering if I should have applied to another school or two for scholarship leveraging. My plan had been to bargain the 3 Chicago T2s against each other, but Kent offered me more than DePaul or Loyola and DePaul isn't negotiating scholarships this year at all. So unless Loyola (a rather stingy school in general) coughs up a substantial bump in its offer, the only leverage I'll have at Kent will be my NU admission, plus whatever offer they make. Is it really so much to ask to go to law school for free? Some schools just aren't being very considerate.

User avatar
oldhippie
Posts: 538
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:41 pm

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby oldhippie » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:48 pm

:lol:
agreed! i'm waiting anxiously for ANY offer of $ from CU and it just ain't happening yet....i'd love to be able to be done with this process already!!!
but the good news is we managed to rent our house and the tenants are older stable-seeming folks so hopefully they'll stick around. one step closer....................

User avatar
homestyle28
Posts: 2314
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:48 pm

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby homestyle28 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:48 pm

ArghItsBlarg wrote:This thread has sat stagnant far too long. I thought old people liked to talk interminably!

I'm currently going mad while waiting for feedback on a full-ride scholarship at Chicago-Kent and Northwestern's financial aid offer in general. Currently hoping against hope that I'll be one of the lucky scholarshipped at NU.

I'm also now wondering if I should have applied to another school or two for scholarship leveraging. My plan had been to bargain the 3 Chicago T2s against each other, but Kent offered me more than DePaul or Loyola and DePaul isn't negotiating scholarships this year at all. So unless Loyola (a rather stingy school in general) coughs up a substantial bump in its offer, the only leverage I'll have at Kent will be my NU admission, plus whatever offer they make. Is it really so much to ask to go to law school for free? Some schools just aren't being very considerate.


Way to revive it...I'm just whiling away the days until NU's ASW. Hoping against hope for scholly cash, but not counting on it...I'm also doing some chi-town research, so maybe you can help...what are some affordable, but not too far away burbs that I should be house hunting in? I've been eyeing Berwyn b/c of the glut of affordable bungalows, and from what I'v read if you stay away from Cicero it's not a bad place to live..other thoughts or suggestions? After owning and now with a kid in tow, renting seems lame to me!

too old for this sh*
Posts: 124
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:48 pm

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby too old for this sh* » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:00 pm

ArghItsBlarg wrote:This thread has sat stagnant far too long. I thought old people liked to talk interminably!


well, we do...sometimes. Other times, we get forgetful. :lol:

Just wait...you too will be stricken with CRS* later in your life








*Can't Remember Shit

ArghItsBlarg
Posts: 204
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:21 pm

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby ArghItsBlarg » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:50 pm

Unfortunately, I know jack-all about City/near-City living, as I live way out in the boonies. I can tell you that the northern areas/burbs tend toward the more expensive, with the west to south being more working class and affordable. It goes without saying that if you want a yard, you have to go to the suburbs. I can ask some of the younger folks in my firm who live hereabouts though...

#1 says stay around the red or blue lines of the El. Brown line is nice too, but more expensive. On the blue line, he says neighborhoods are great until around Logan Square, and then the further out you get from the City, the cheaper it gets but the quality starts to go down too. On the red line, Wicker Park area is decent.

#2 doesn't know the area as well, but knows that probably the nicest/safest area is Lincoln Park. Naturally it's more expensive too. She lives in Lakeview, specifically Wrigleyville, and the area itself is nice, but the rents run the gamut.

#3 lives in Andersonville in a 2-flat and actually rents out the top flat. She'd like to know what your price range is, as they'll be doing some renovation this summer and will likely be looking for a good tenant. Andersonville is a little pricier in general, but a very nice, safe area. She also mentioned Lincoln Park.

User avatar
homestyle28
Posts: 2314
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:48 pm

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby homestyle28 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:59 pm

ArghItsBlarg wrote:Unfortunately, I know jack-all about City/near-City living, as I live way out in the boonies. I can tell you that the northern areas/burbs tend toward the more expensive, with the west to south being more working class and affordable. It goes without saying that if you want a yard, you have to go to the suburbs. I can ask some of the younger folks in my firm who live hereabouts though...

#1 says stay around the red or blue lines of the El. Brown line is nice too, but more expensive. On the blue line, he says neighborhoods are great until around Logan Square, and then the further out you get from the City, the cheaper it gets but the quality starts to go down too. On the red line, Wicker Park area is decent.

#2 doesn't know the area as well, but knows that probably the nicest/safest area is Lincoln Park. Naturally it's more expensive too. She lives in Lakeview, specifically Wrigleyville, and the area itself is nice, but the rents run the gamut.

#3 lives in Andersonville in a 2-flat and actually rents out the top flat. She'd like to know what your price range is, as they'll be doing some renovation this summer and will likely be looking for a good tenant. Andersonville is a little pricier in general, but a very nice, safe area. She also mentioned Lincoln Park.


Thanks for the info. Our price range will likely be pretty modest, as I suspect we'll try to stick with what we can afford solely based on wife's income for loan approval purposes (she works in higher ed administration/academic advising, so not making big bucks)...I'd love a lincoln park condo near a park, but that's out of our range for desired size...we'll see as a lot of this remains up in the air until the wife actually gets a job!

sarahh
Posts: 610
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:36 pm

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby sarahh » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:07 pm

homestyle28 wrote:After owning and now with a kid in tow, renting seems lame to me!


After watching my home drop over $150,000 in value over the course of three years, and having to deal with being a long-distance landlord during law school, and possibly having to wait several years before I can actually sell the place, just being a renter sounds like heaven.

User avatar
oldhippie
Posts: 538
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:41 pm

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby oldhippie » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:14 pm

sarahh wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:After owning and now with a kid in tow, renting seems lame to me!


After watching my home drop over $150,000 in value over the course of three years, and having to deal with being a long-distance landlord during law school, and possibly having to wait several years before I can actually sell the place, just being a renter sounds like heaven.

no kidding!!! my experience is almost exactly yours and i'm kind of loving the idea of renting and not being responsible for all of the other stuff...except for the constant worry about how our house is being treated and the potential for a tenant to break the lease, but hey, what is life without a little stress? :wink:

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13918
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:19 pm

oldhippie wrote:
sarahh wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:After owning and now with a kid in tow, renting seems lame to me!


After watching my home drop over $150,000 in value over the course of three years, and having to deal with being a long-distance landlord during law school, and possibly having to wait several years before I can actually sell the place, just being a renter sounds like heaven.

no kidding!!! my experience is almost exactly yours and i'm kind of loving the idea of renting and not being responsible for all of the other stuff...except for the constant worry about how our house is being treated and the potential for a tenant to break the lease, but hey, what is life without a little stress? :wink:


+10000
Except my condo wasn't worth enough to begin with to lose $150K in value. It has lost about 20% of peak value, though.

My condo contract doesn't allow me to lease it--only month-to-month rent. Sucks.

My one bright spot is that my dad lives nearby and will be able to do the landlord-y stuff.

User avatar
homestyle28
Posts: 2314
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:48 pm

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby homestyle28 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:22 pm

sarahh wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:After owning and now with a kid in tow, renting seems lame to me!


After watching my home drop over $150,000 in value over the course of three years, and having to deal with being a long-distance landlord during law school, and possibly having to wait several years before I can actually sell the place, just being a renter sounds like heaven.


This is a solid point. I wouldn't buy if I thought I'd have to turn around and sell after LS.

firemed
Posts: 1195
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:36 pm

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby firemed » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:38 pm

My house has dropped mildly in value. So I wouldn't mind selling it... except that NO ONE WILL BUY IN THIS MARKET! Sucks so bad.

So we are trying to make the best of it. By the end of the month it will have been cleaned, new flooring put in (goodbye disgusting carpet, hello laminate!), downstairs bathroom fixed, new TV, new couch, and repainted. Plus we are getting rid of a bunch of crap we don't need.

It is a lot like moving (we are giving stuff away or selling it on craigslist) but we are staying here. Hopefully the new feel of the place will make it seem like an awesome fresh new start to our new lives.

Or, you know, not so much. We'll see. :mrgreen:

ArghItsBlarg
Posts: 204
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:21 pm

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby ArghItsBlarg » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:03 pm

Yeah, no buyers here either. We'd likely have to end up selling it for about 80% of what we bought it for 7 years ago. At least we're not underwater on our mortgage. I'd love to move closer to the City, but no dice.

CP2323
Posts: 67
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:25 pm

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby CP2323 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:46 pm

What does ITT stand for in the title?

sidhesadie
Posts: 454
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby sidhesadie » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:58 pm

sarahh wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:After owning and now with a kid in tow, renting seems lame to me!


After watching my home drop over $150,000 in value over the course of three years, and having to deal with being a long-distance landlord during law school, and possibly having to wait several years before I can actually sell the place, just being a renter sounds like heaven.


+1000

I can honestly say, at almost 35 years old...I don't give a rip if I ever own a house again. I did not buy at the peak (way before the bubble) I did not have a crappy loan (30 year fixed, thank you) and I did not buy more house than I could afford.I never took out a HELOC.

I STILL LOST MY @SS because I HAD to move and HAD to sell, and NO ONE IS BUYING because the bazillion people who did all the above stupid stuff tanked the values for EVERYONE. I bought prebubble and my house was STILL worth 30% less than I paid for it.

Super awesome. I'm bitter. LOL

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13918
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:04 pm

CP2323 wrote:What does ITT stand for in the title?

In This Thread

User avatar
Justathought
Posts: 977
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:16 pm

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby Justathought » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:16 pm

CP2323 wrote:What does ITT stand for in the title?


Shhhh, you're making us look bad!

Anyway, I'm off to read Twilight, watch Jersey Shore, listen to Paramore, funnel a beer, play some guitar hero, and do all the other stuff us people who are totally young and not old at all do. ttyl!

User avatar
oldhippie
Posts: 538
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:41 pm

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby oldhippie » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:43 pm

Justathought wrote:
CP2323 wrote:What does ITT stand for in the title?


Shhhh, you're making us look bad!

Anyway, I'm off to read Twilight, watch Jersey Shore, listen to Paramore, funnel a beer, play some guitar hero, and do all the other stuff us people who are totally young and not old at all do. ttyl!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ArghItsBlarg
Posts: 204
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:21 pm

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby ArghItsBlarg » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:30 pm

I like Guitar Hero...

User avatar
Leira7905
Posts: 384
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:42 pm

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby Leira7905 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:35 pm

ArghItsBlarg wrote:I like Guitar Hero...


Seconded.

User avatar
Stringer Bell
Posts: 1924
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:43 pm

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby Stringer Bell » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:38 pm

Leira7905 wrote:
ArghItsBlarg wrote:I like Guitar Hero...


Seconded.


What's funny about this is that Guitar Hero has been discontinued. If you want a "young" game, you probably need to move to "Call of Duty: Black Ops" or something.

notanumber
Posts: 485
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:28 pm

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby notanumber » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:44 pm

Stringer Bell wrote:
Leira7905 wrote:
ArghItsBlarg wrote:I like Guitar Hero...


Seconded.


What's funny about this is that Guitar Hero has been discontinued. If you want a "young" game, you probably need to move to "Call of Duty: Black Ops" or something.


*puts on old person hat*
Meh. Most of the new video games I've played, Fallout excepted, rest too heavily on fancy graphics and technological bells and whistles and give narrative short shrift.

I'll take the story and challenge of Monkey Island or Chrono Trigger over the latest "kill everything shoot 'em up" any day.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Christinabruin, Google Adsense [Bot], MZaf, r2d2111 and 2 guests