OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
too old for this sh*

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby too old for this sh* » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:03 am

rinkrat19 wrote:
nygrrrl wrote:
oldhippie wrote:
lolschool2011 wrote:You know you belong in the OLD SCHOOL thread if......

1. You have fond memories of playing Oregon Trail in grade school.

2. You remember life without MTV and the excitement of the MTV debut.

You remember using a rotary phone.

And a turntable.

I'll see your turntable and raise you the reel-to-reel followed by the newfangled 8-track player...

lawgunner75

Postby lawgunner75 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:06 am

What does "ITT" mean?

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:36 am

lawgunner75 wrote:What does "ITT" mean?

In this thread

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:37 am

too old for this sh* wrote:I'll see your turntable and raise you the reel-to-reel followed by the newfangled 8-track player...

I can vaguely remember an 8 track from my early youth. Wow.

too old for this sh*

Postby too old for this sh* » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:13 am

Quick now...who remembers

TOLEDO WINDOW BOX

:mrgreen:

firemed

Postby firemed » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:21 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
nygrrrl wrote:
oldhippie wrote:
lolschool2011 wrote:You know you belong in the OLD SCHOOL thread if......

1. You have fond memories of playing Oregon Trail in grade school.

2. You remember life without MTV and the excitement of the MTV debut.

You remember using a rotary phone.

And a turntable.

And hacking in basic, dialing the phone for your modem, and hooking onto a BBS to share your code with the 15 other geeks in your city who also did this (and could afford a modem).

Or maybe that was just me. How about video game with 16 GLORIOUS COLORS!

lolschool2011

Postby lolschool2011 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:24 pm

too old for this sh* wrote:Quick now...who remembers

TOLEDO WINDOW BOX

Have to admit, I'm only 32 so had to google this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toledo_Window_Box

With that said, it sounds hysterical.

too old for this sh*

Postby too old for this sh* » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:26 pm

lolschool2011 wrote:

TOLEDO WINDOW BOX

Have to admit, I'm only 32 so had to google this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toledo_Window_Box

It was and still is :lol:

firemed

Postby firemed » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:35 pm

too old for this sh* wrote:
lolschool2011 wrote:

TOLEDO WINDOW BOX

It was and still is :lol:

Heard it, didn't know the title. In highschool I spent a lot of time listening to Carlin and... doing, you know... things that would make memory fuzzy... like, what was that word... oh well.

sidhesadie

Postby sidhesadie » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:37 pm

I was all 'hey we're not really getting old' ...until this last page. Oh yeah..I remember when MTV came on! Oh, I had a turntable, or, WE did, it was in the kitchen and I would blast "dress you up in my love" by Madonna and keep turning it up until I couldn't hear the TV my dad was watching in the living room. (in hindsight, he gets many points for allowing this) Oh, we had a rotary phone. With a cord that was 25 feet long so I could stretch it across the kitchen and lock myself in our (one) bathroom to talk on the phone. My brother loved me. lol.

I also remember "WILL IT BE BETA OR VHS!!"
And how we had to rent the VCR WITH the movies, because nobody actually HAD a vcr!!!

oldhippie

Postby oldhippie » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:50 pm

wow. even the whole concept of "be kind, rewind" would be alien to the young'uns....how many times did i drive frantically back home to rewind the damned tape before returning it?!?

and we were fancy, i had a beta AND vhs :D

lolschool2011

Postby lolschool2011 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:53 pm

I remember as a child I thought every lawyer was instantly rich.... like at law school graduation a partner would come around with the keys to a bmw, an envelope with money in it, and a case of shiny hair product for that "shark" look. I also (briefly) believed in Santa Claus and OJ's innocence, so it's clear my judgment was shit back then.

In any case, on the topic of the good old days... I sort of miss when everyone wasn't addicted to staring at LCD screens dozens of hours per day. LCD, LED, and other types of electronic displays are this generations new crack.... we are continuously staring at electronic screens. It's sort of Matrix'esque.

From LCD ads on buses, to your phone screens, to your laptops/desktops, to your Ipod screens, to your flat screen TV's at home, Ipads, digital navigation screens in your car, etc, etc, etc.... we are becoming absolute LCD sceen zombies.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:56 pm

Upgrade to plasma, brah.

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:00 pm

sidhesadie wrote:I was all 'hey we're not really getting old' ...until this last page. Oh yeah..I remember when MTV came on! Oh, I had a turntable, or, WE did, it was in the kitchen and I would blast "dress you up in my love" by Madonna and keep turning it up until I couldn't hear the TV my dad was watching in the living room. (in hindsight, he gets many points for allowing this) Oh, we had a rotary phone. With a cord that was 25 feet long so I could stretch it across the kitchen and lock myself in our (one) bathroom to talk on the phone. My brother loved me. lol.

And how we had to rent the VCR WITH the movies, because nobody actually HAD a vcr!!!

ALL OF THIS (the phone cord!!! hahaha - I still have one of those in my kitchen, just because...)
And my beloved Atari. The beginning of my love of video games. *le sigh*

mala2

Postby mala2 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:05 pm

lolschool2011 wrote: I sort of miss when everyone wasn't addicted to staring at LCD screens dozens of hours per day. LCD, LED, and other types of electronic displays are this generations new crack.... we are continuously staring at electronic screens. It's sort of Matrix'esque.

From LCD ads on buses, to your phone screens, to your laptops/desktops, to your Ipod screens, to your flat screen TV's at home, Ipads, digital navigation screens in your car, etc, etc, etc.... we are becoming absolute LCD sceen zombies.

I'm almost old school and I totally agree, I'm trying to limit screen time of all types, it's so hard, it's like quitting smoking and coffee in one. I could live without it, but it's such a habit. I remember as a kid I could have a whole empty afternoon and finish a book. Now if I'm not doing 10 things at once badly, with background noise, I don't know what to do. I think we've forgotten how to be still.

Leira7905

Postby Leira7905 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:05 pm

nygrrrl wrote:
sidhesadie wrote:I was all 'hey we're not really getting old' ...until this last page. Oh yeah..I remember when MTV came on! Oh, I had a turntable, or, WE did, it was in the kitchen and I would blast "dress you up in my love" by Madonna and keep turning it up until I couldn't hear the TV my dad was watching in the living room. (in hindsight, he gets many points for allowing this) Oh, we had a rotary phone. With a cord that was 25 feet long so I could stretch it across the kitchen and lock myself in our (one) bathroom to talk on the phone. My brother loved me. lol.

ALL OF THIS (the phone cord!!! hahaha - I still have one of those in my kitchen, just because...)
And my beloved Atari. The beginning of my love of video games. *le sigh*

OmG! Atari!!! My mom still has one at her house... lol Pitfall! is seriously one of my favorite games of all time!

fflewddur

Postby fflewddur » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:11 pm

JazzOne wrote:Upgrade to plasma, brah.

Nah ... LCD is more energy efficient.

lolschool2011

Postby lolschool2011 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:14 pm

fflewddur wrote:
JazzOne wrote:Upgrade to plasma, brah.

Nah ... LCD is more energy efficient.

And lighter, thinner, and no burn-in. Plasma is going the way of compact disks...

sidhesadie

Postby sidhesadie » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:17 pm

We didn't have Atari, we had Coleco. I remember the game with the snake pit (pitfall?) and I LOVED FROGGER.

too old for this sh*

Postby too old for this sh* » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:27 pm

lolschool2011 wrote: I also (briefly) believed in Santa Claus and OJ's innocence, so it's clear my judgment was shit back then.

damn, now I really feel old...when the OJ verdict came in, I was working in the regional office of a large State agency. My convicts (I had two porters in my office) were watching the TV we had in the office and called the verdict as soon as the jury was shown walking back into the box. My biggest peeve with the OJ ordeal was the fact that he pulled his freeway cruise in the middle of a Rockets finals...

video games...I wanted to get Coleco at one point. Instead I had the Magnavox Odyssey2 (actually still do, although it has not been hooked up in years).

I also still have the old 286 that thought it was a 386...I had it running Windows 3.1.1 for workgroups for a while. It is like a cockroach...nothing seems to kill it off.

Another sad note though was that it appears my trusty HP41-CV finally died...and HP no longer does repair work on them. I had the notebook full of synthetic programming materials and stuff like that as well.

delusional

Postby delusional » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:19 pm

The video games I remember are those handheld LCD screens with a character in a few preprogrammed positions. Like the folding donkey kong, and those Tiger sports games where your football player went beep beep beep all the way down the field.

Anyway, more seriously, folks, I recently went through JR1 at HLS (insane, I know) and I'm thinking that I may, should the opportunity arise, drop the H-bomb, and the "let's move to Boston" bomb, on my wife and kids.

Advice? Suggestions? Financial difference thresholds with the rest of the T14?

notanumber

Postby notanumber » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:41 pm

I love how quickly the old farts thread degenerated into reminiscing about the "good ole days."

Also, http://www.handheldmuseum.com/Tiger/Ske ... rriors.htm <- I can still vividly remember wearing out the buttons of this game.
Last edited by notanumber on Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

delusional

Postby delusional » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:44 pm

notanumber wrote:I love how quickly the old farts thread degenerated into reminiscing about the "good ole days."

Alternatively, you can discuss the family related issue that I raised in my last post.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:47 pm

delusional wrote:The video games I remember are those handheld LCD screens with a character in a few preprogrammed positions. Like the folding donkey kong, and those Tiger sports games where your football player went beep beep beep all the way down the field.

Anyway, more seriously, folks, I recently went through JR1 at HLS (insane, I know) and I'm thinking that I may, should the opportunity arise, drop the H-bomb, and the "let's move to Boston" bomb, on my wife and kids.

Advice? Suggestions? Financial difference thresholds with the rest of the T14?

"It's fucking HARVARD, woman!"

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:48 pm

delusional wrote:
notanumber wrote:I love how quickly the old farts thread degenerated into reminiscing about the "good ole days."

Alternatively, you can discuss the family related issue that I raised in my last post.

Would love to but not exactly sure what you were asking. I mean, Boston is a great place to raise a family.... (and BIG congrats on the JR1!!!) - what do you want to know? (I have family there, really thought about BU - investigated options for my fam.)

Return to “Choosing a Law School”