OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT) Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
r6_philly

Diamond

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Post by r6_philly » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:32 pm

fflewddur wrote:
Perhaps going to law school is symptomatic of a gambling problem?
Maybe not a "problem" but definitely a predisposition to gambling. :mrgreen:

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:32 am

r6_philly wrote:
fflewddur wrote:
Perhaps going to law school is symptomatic of a gambling problem?
Maybe not a "problem" but definitely a predisposition to gambling. :mrgreen:

I told three lawyers this weekend I was going to law school. Then I got the lectures. Sigh.

I AM AWARE THE MARKET IS SHITTY AND PROBABLY WILL BE FOR UP TO A CENTURY, THANK YOU!

I didn't scream at them... oh well.

Oh, and then they suggested I go into patent law. Um... yeah, I have a BA and have no interest in taking 6 more upper division chem classes to get a BS. Chem is cool and all, but no.

oldhippie

Silver

Post by oldhippie » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:05 am

yeah, the last time i told an attorney i was going to law school, i got the whole "why would you do that" lecture.....as he was leaving work at 10am to go golfing with some VIPs. i almost told him to kiss my ass but i resisted.

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:22 am

oldhippie wrote:yeah, the last time i told an attorney i was going to law school, i got the whole "why would you do that" lecture.....as he was leaving work at 10am to go golfing with some VIPs. i almost told him to kiss my ass but i resisted.
All the lawyers that work around here went to regional t4s, so at first they give me that "why would you" look, but then I tell them I'm not Ohio Northern bound and they tell me to pay whatever $$ it takes to go to a t-14.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:37 am

The most successful attorney I know went to Miami. He told me not to become one.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

unc0mm0n1

Gold

Post by unc0mm0n1 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:28 am

stugots26 wrote:Hey lol - thanks for starting this thread.

I'll be 31 on Superbowl Sunday (woohoo!) heading to law school in Chicago in the fall. I'm currently working as a professor in the city colleges and plan to continue to adjunct while attending (one class, the exact same class, over and over and over ad infinitum) so I'll still have a foot in the door elsewhere should the legal job market shrink further.
I have a PhD in synthetic organic chemistry and plan on going into intellectual property law, specifically patent prosecution.

I definitely think my time at the front of the classroom - both as a TA and a prof - will help me with the classes. I've always kept writing prose as a pastime, and developed proficient technical writing skills in my graduate work (although I understand that I'll have to learn a different syntax for legal writing). The idea of combining scientific knowledge and writing into one career and being able to protect other scientists' discoveries really appeals to me.

Best of luck to all!

And Chicago is doing a great job with the snow. To blame the city for keeping Lake Shore Drive open, for example, when people knew exactly when the storm would hit days in advance and still chose to use it, is ridiculous.
Hope you had a great b-day!!!!!!!!

emhellmer

Bronze

Post by emhellmer » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:55 pm

Both lawyers I know went to t-14s and are filthy stinking rich. They've both been very encouraging. I have some old college freinds who went to T3s, they seem to be doing alright these days. I keep meaning to get back in touch with them...

Leira7905

Bronze

Post by Leira7905 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:14 pm

emhellmer wrote:Both lawyers I know went to t-14s and are filthy stinking rich. They've both been very encouraging. I have some old college freinds who went to T3s, they seem to be doing alright these days. I keep meaning to get back in touch with them...

I know several attorneys, and though a couple did warn me of the risks involved, none of them discouraged me from going. They've all been very supportive. I guess it depends on who you ask.

Leira7905

Bronze

Post by Leira7905 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:24 pm

Okay, so as we've all discussed, being an older LS student has some advantages (WE, maturity, better sense of self, etc.) but it also has its disadvantages, namely age-discrimination from potential employers who may be looking for a younger demographic. However, I hadn't really considered being discriminated against by other (younger) students, until I read this thread:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=146907

What do ya'll think? Does it make you feel uncomfortable to know that some of your classmates will feel this way?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:42 pm

Leira7905 wrote:Okay, so as we've all discussed, being an older LS student has some advantages (WE, maturity, better sense of self, etc.) but it also has its disadvantages, namely age-discrimination from potential employers who may be looking for a younger demographic. However, I hadn't really considered being discriminated against by other (younger) students, until I read this thread:

What do ya'll think? Does it make you feel uncomfortable to know that some of your classmates will feel this way?

Dude is a moron. I can't say this enough: THIS IS A PROFESSIONAL SCHOOL, NOT A PARTY HOUSE!

Leira7905

Bronze

Post by Leira7905 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:44 pm

firemed wrote:
Leira7905 wrote:Okay, so as we've all discussed, being an older LS student has some advantages (WE, maturity, better sense of self, etc.) but it also has its disadvantages, namely age-discrimination from potential employers who may be looking for a younger demographic. However, I hadn't really considered being discriminated against by other (younger) students, until I read this thread:

Dude is a moron. I can't say this enough: THIS IS A PROFESSIONAL SCHOOL, NOT A PARTY HOUSE!
I couldn't agree more... thanks for posting in that thread! I needed the back-up... I was starting to feel like I should forgo LS and go move into a nursing home! lol.

notanumber

Bronze

Post by notanumber » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:47 pm

Eh. The joke is on them. They'll not be young forever.

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:16 pm

Yeah, one of the schools I was accepted at last cycle had an average age of 23 and more of a party LS reputation. I think it would have been less enjoyable, but I'm not really headed to LS just to make friends (though of course I hope to make some). And really, do you think you'd care about that attitude in real life?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:21 pm

homestyle28 wrote: Yeah, one of the schools I was accepted at last cycle had an average age of 23 and more of a party LS reputation. I think it would have been less enjoyable, but I'm not really headed to LS just to make friends (though of course I hope to make some). And really, do you think you'd care about that attitude in real life?
I think it will be amusing to watch their attitude turn into desperation when they realize they should have taken some focused classes and networked more seriously.

I have a lot of friends who graduated from a lower T1. They spent all their time partying and taking classes that interested them. Most of them didn't even take an internship. One specialized in Admiralty law and then moved to a landlocked state.

Now 40% of them are unemployed, and 20% are underemployed. All of them say they wished they had been more like their older colleagues in LS and had taken it more seriously. That is, in fact, their advice to me: Take focused classes, specializing in advance, and make sure you take every internship you can so that you can find a job afterwards. It is more important to do well than to make friends.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:12 pm

He's stupid. It makes no difference. The older students here don't tend to go out with everyone else as much, but aside from that, no one cares.

We are all in the same boat, regardless of age.

pkt63

Bronze

Post by pkt63 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:14 pm

I'm a little nervous about being around so many people younger than me as peers. I am used to being the youngest one in my peer group at work (I was the youngest director, youngest chair of various community boards, etc) so I sure as heck know how to deal with people my age and older. But, mostly when I have related to people younger than me, it is as a boss or as an adviser (to a collegiate group on campus). I don't think I will be all lecture-y or anything, but I think I will have some lower expectations of them. Even with the outstanding young woman I work with on the campus I advise at, and the excellent young professionals that I manage, I am always surprised at how much they need help with things that I think are easy or common sense. I guess I am just reminding myself that I need to be open-minded and that, like going into the professional workplace taught me to interact with older people, this will teach me to work with younger people in a totally new way. Crazy.

Also a little scared just because I think I will like being the youngest one impressing people more than I like being the older one that is starting a new career "late" in life.

haus

Gold

Post by haus » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:20 pm

@pkt63,

Just consider it another fun. Having been the 'young' one everywhere you should know how the young ones will feel, making it easier to relate... :)

Have fun with your journey.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:27 pm

pkt63 wrote:Even with the outstanding young woman I work with on the campus I advise at, and the excellent young professionals that I manage, I am always surprised at how much they need help with things that I think are easy or common sense.
Funny, that's how I feel about the older people in my office, even my bosses, much of the time. ("Rinkrat, can you come show me how to do that thing in Excel again?" Seriously? Again?) But I try to sound a little less patronizing. :P

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:36 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
pkt63 wrote:Even with the outstanding young woman I work with on the campus I advise at, and the excellent young professionals that I manage, I am always surprised at how much they need help with things that I think are easy or common sense.
Funny, that's how I feel about the older people in my office, even my bosses, much of the time. ("Rinkrat, can you come show me how to do that thing in Excel again?" Seriously? Again?) But I try to sound a little less patronizing. :P

I think being 27-47 is probably about perfect. Young enough to be up to date with technology, but old enough to have real life experience. Too much older than that and I have noticed some (not all) people have trouble keeping up, younger than that and all I see is spermatozoa walking around trying to talk to me about how they almost got laid last night, but then they drank too much and lost track of the hot guy/girl/sheep they were tracking.

ArghItsBlarg

Bronze

Post by ArghItsBlarg » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:12 pm

Them sheep are crafty devils.

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:19 pm

ArghItsBlarg wrote:Them sheep are crafty devils.
I'm more of a herder than a tracker.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:18 pm

JazzOne wrote:
ArghItsBlarg wrote:Them sheep are crafty devils.
I'm more of a herder than a tracker.
Why do scotsmen wear kilts?

Because the sheep can hear a zipper going down from miles away.

delusional

Silver

Post by delusional » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:53 pm

Part of what happened as I aged was that I stopped caring about what people think about me.

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:09 pm

firemed wrote: Why do scotsmen wear kilts?
You're just jealous.

Scotsmen wear kilts because, frankly, they look damn good in them.

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:16 pm

delusional wrote:
Leira7905 wrote:
Part of what happened as I aged was that I stopped caring about what people think about me.
I don't know. While I don't care in the sense that I don't take it personally (seriously, I couldn't give a fuck)... I do care in the sense that it changes the interactions I have, the kinds of interactions I have, and the opportunities available to me. Being a firefighter in a house with 4 other guys/gals for 1/3 of my life has seriously shown me firsthand how social interactions can make a huge difference in life quality.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”