OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Iconoclast

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby Iconoclast » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:16 am

haus wrote:@nygrrrl

At your school, how many nights per week did/do you attend classes per week as a 1L?

(Also open to answers from any other PT students...)

At SMU is it Monday through Thursday.

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:25 am

haus wrote:@nygrrrl

At your school, how many nights per week did/do you attend classes per week as a 1L?

(Also open to answers from any other PT students...)

4 nights per week. Approximately 12 hours of class, plus another 24 hours or so per week in study time (they aren't kidding when they tell you to plan 2-3 study hours per in-class hour).

haus

Postby haus » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:48 am

Thank you for your responses, it seems that four days avweek for PT 1Ls is fairly common, and it is more or less what I have been planning for mentally.

Although one school that I have strongly considered applying to (GMU) appears to be at 5 nights a week. Perhaps I am overthinking this, but it seems that being in class every weeknight sounds like it would be exceedingly difficult to work around a full time job and family.

Do either of you have any thoughts on what impact an extra night of classes per week on your efforts?

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:52 am

haus wrote:Do either of you have any thoughts on what impact an extra night of classes per week on your efforts?

I don't think I could do it. Missing 4 nights with my family is bad enough, 5 would be the tipping point (for me, that is.) At that stage I would consider a FT program instead. (Honestly, as my kids get older I may look into switching to FT anyway: it might be easier on all of us if we were all in school at the same time!)

Iconoclast

Postby Iconoclast » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:00 am

nygrrrl wrote:
haus wrote:Do either of you have any thoughts on what impact an extra night of classes per week on your efforts?

I don't think I could do it. Missing 4 nights with my family is bad enough, 5 would be the tipping point (for me, that is.) At that stage I would consider a FT program instead. (Honestly, as my kids get older I may look into switching to FT anyway: it might be easier on all of us if we were all in school at the same time!)

I agree that the 5th night would be killer.

I leave the house well before anyone else is up and don't get home till around 10pm Monday through Thursday (that's actually an hour earlier than last semester). I spend a good portion of both Saturday and Sunday studying. That leaves Friday nights for family time. We are on an alternating schedule. One Friday is date night with the wife... the next is Family night.

If they took my Fridays, the wife and kids would bust out the torches and pitchforks.

haus

Postby haus » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:34 am

Once again thanks you for your input.

wards agreement with you both. While a slightly shorter commute and in state tuition is tempting, it just seems to be a a rough haul to not have a single night to see my wife or daughter during the workweek

firemed

Postby firemed » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:00 pm

Reading the above makes me wonder if I should have gone PT. Oh well. I added it up and it only comes to $10K more borrowed to go FT.

Sigh.

On another note... I am now 33.

oldhippie

Postby oldhippie » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:01 pm

happy birthday!!!! it's all uphill from 33 :wink:

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:02 pm

firemed wrote:Reading the above makes me wonder if I should have gone PT. Oh well. I added it up and it only comes to $10K more borrowed to go FT.

Sigh.

On another note... I am now 33.

Congratulations, young 'un. :wink:

emhellmer

Postby emhellmer » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:03 pm

The debate on cutting back on your kids is certainly valid. Grrrr...it's a tough one! I just went to visit a town that I LOVE where I received a full scholarship to the most reputable regional school. I looked at housing options, and thought "my god, I can't take my child from the nice home we have now and move her into something like this!" It's so silly; by the time I graduate she'll be six, which is probably too young to even notice or care about that sort of thing. But it still bothered me enough to start looking at other cities that might have better housing options. Then there is the matter of school. I LOVE the Montessori school she is in now ($$$$$$$), and promised myself that if I couldn't find a school as good for her, I wouldn't go. Again, she's only two; in the big scheme of things it probably isn't a big deal. After all, she'll thank me when I'm paying sticker for her to go to Princeton, right? Still can't make that very sound reasoning stick in my mind.

Ah well. Oh yeah, the reason keeping her in the same school and staying in the same nice home isn't an option is because I hate living in the suburbs of Houston, and after much internal agonization have decided that a happy mommy is a good mommy. I advise anyone else to take their own happiness into consideration when thinking about these choices, even though I know it can be hard sometimes :lol:

sidhesadie

Postby sidhesadie » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:08 pm

nygrrrl wrote:

This is why I'm doing FT and going where the $$ is (which, fortunately for me, is a well regarded local school which will place me well in this region). My son starts middle school when I start law school. Since I'm no longer with his father, doing this when he was younger wouldn't have been feasible. As it is, it should work out fine. I can pick up work on the weekends if I need to.

I could never have done it with younger kids unless I had a wife! LOL.

emhellmer

Postby emhellmer » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:11 pm

I wish I had one of those too!

oldhippie

Postby oldhippie » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:12 pm

emhellmer wrote:

sign me up!!! :D

sidhesadie

Postby sidhesadie » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:18 pm

emhellmer wrote:

I know, it's enough to make me consider switching teams! lol

My boyfriend put a sticky note on the dishwasher the other day that said "run me".
Now, wouldn't it have taken exactly the same amount of time to PUSH THE BUTTON YOURSELF? (less, actually)

DocHawkeye

Postby DocHawkeye » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:40 pm

sidhesadie wrote:
emhellmer wrote:

My boyfriend put a sticky note on the dishwasher the other day that said "run me".
Now, wouldn't it have taken exactly the same amount of time to PUSH THE BUTTON YOURSELF? (less, actually)

That made me laugh. Since I work part-time as a college teacher and my wife works full-time as a teacher in the public schools, I end up doing most of the laundry, dishes, cooking, and child care. This semester my take home pay is more than hers is (this is abnormal), but she pays for the health insurance (which I can't get from my employer). I call it a fair split. We are counting or her income to cover most of the living expenses while I'm in school again, but I plan on working to pay some of the bills.

firemed

Postby firemed » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:55 pm

emhellmer wrote:The debate on cutting back on your kids is certainly valid. Grrrr...it's a tough one! I just went to visit a town that I LOVE where I received a full scholarship to the most reputable regional school. I looked at housing options, and thought "my god, I can't take my child from the nice home we have now and move her into something like this!" It's so silly; by the time I graduate she'll be six, which is probably too young to even notice or care about that sort of thing. But it still bothered me enough to start looking at other cities that might have better housing options. Then there is the matter of school. I LOVE the Montessori school she is in now ($$$$$$$), and promised myself that if I couldn't find a school as good for her, I wouldn't go. Again, she's only two; in the big scheme of things it probably isn't a big deal. After all, she'll thank me when I'm paying sticker for her to go to Princeton, right? Still can't make that very sound reasoning stick in my mind.

Ah well. Oh yeah, the reason keeping her in the same school and staying in the same nice home isn't an option is because I hate living in the suburbs of Houston, and after much internal agonization have decided that a happy mommy is a good mommy. I advise anyone else to take their own happiness into consideration when thinking about these choices, even though I know it can be hard sometimes :lol:

Um, IMO, full scholly = win. I mean, full scholly means that while she would have to live in so-so housing and go to a so-so pre-school... you will have the option to help her through college and be in sooooo much less debt.

Also, seriously, isn't it more important at her age that she is with you than being in a nicer house? I mean, the school argument is a tough one, but might be workable. For instance the school we send our kid to is awesome, and because we are members of the synagogue, super cheap. Maybe something like that could work for you?

Here's how I justify staying in NM to myself: Go to a student loan repayment calculator. Open a second window with this. Put in the amount of debt you will take with the cheaper option... and then put in the amount you will take with the more expensive option. Put the two windows next to each other. Bingo. Just think about making the more expensive payments when your kid is in high school.

ETA: I re-read your post and see that you basically agree with me, but since I have some good ways to justify your decision and such, I left my post as is.

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:01 pm

sidhesadie wrote:
nygrrrl wrote:

This is why I'm doing FT and going where the $$ is (which, fortunately for me, is a well regarded local school which will place me well in this region). My son starts middle school when I start law school. Since I'm no longer with his father, doing this when he was younger wouldn't have been feasible. As it is, it should work out fine. I can pick up work on the weekends if I need to.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Yeah, my kids are younger. Big one is in 1st grade. That's why I'm thinking I could maybe switch next year... but on the fence. Money is a big issue (i.e., my need to earn it!) As for the wife? My husband - who had never cooked anything more advanced than scrambled eggs - is now actually getting into it! Thank you, Trader Joe's, for your prepared foods and your easy-to-follow instructions.... !

lolschool2011

Postby lolschool2011 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:11 pm

nygrrrl wrote:
sidhesadie wrote:
nygrrrl wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: Yeah, my kids are younger. Big one is in 1st grade. That's why I'm thinking I could maybe switch next year... but on the fence. Money is a big issue (i.e., my need to earn it!) As for the wife? My husband - who had never cooked anything more advanced than scrambled eggs - is now actually getting into it! Thank you, Trader Joe's, for your prepared foods and your easy-to-follow instructions.... !

Yes - I sanction Trader Joe's to be the official grocer of the OLD SCHOOL thread - so much better/cheaper than whole (paycheck) foods. I just made their chicken sausage w/peppers last night and it was a revelation.

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:14 pm

lolschool2011 wrote:Yes - I sanction Trader Joe's to be the official grocer of the OLD SCHOOL thread - so much better/cheaper than whole (paycheck) foods. I just made their chicken sausage w/peppers last night and it was a revelation.

What I've learned - in addition to what you just said - is that they package the stuff so well that the Spouse gets intrigued... then he reads the directions (!!???!!!!) and thinks, "I could do that" and the next thing you know, DAYUM: he's doing hot and sour chicken with jasmine rice. :lol:

blacklawboss

Postby blacklawboss » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:25 pm

I'm 35 and will turn 36 a month into my 1st semester of law school! its now or never!!!!!

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:34 pm

lolschool2011 wrote:Yes - I sanction Trader Joe's to be the official grocer of the OLD SCHOOL thread - so much better/cheaper than whole (paycheck) foods. I just made their chicken sausage w/peppers last night and it was a revelation.

I demur. Trader Joe's staff not so helpful imo. Farmer's Market ftw.

lolschool2011

Postby lolschool2011 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:34 pm

blacklawboss wrote:I'm 35 and will turn 36 a month into my 1st semester of law school! its now or never!!!!!

I'm a little younger... but here's the way I see it: If we focus on being healthy/active and medical science continues to advance... even if one started LS at 40, you can work a good 30 years before you decide to devote your time to your hobbies/grandchildren/etc. What is "retirement" anyway? There's plenty of 70+ year olds in law/business. (look at most CEO's) This is a terrible example (and I WISH he'd retire) but consider someone like Rupert Murdoch who is 79 and heads News Corp. 30's are definitely the new 20's... and the more I think of it, the more I realize I'm infinitely better suited for law school now than I was immediately after UG.

lolschool2011

Postby lolschool2011 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:41 pm

homestyle28 wrote:

I demur. Trader Joe's staff not so helpful imo. Farmer's Market ftw.

What do you need help for? Their products are self explanatory, delicious, well packaged, well priced, and their bananas are so cheap, they actually pay you to take them. Farmer's markets are often way overpriced, and reek of that hippie pretension/green propagandist vibe. Chicago has a farmers market near the lake and I've never paid more for a bag of rotten peaches in my life. The guy wearing patchouli assured me they were picked earlier that morning though. Trader Joe's ftw.

LilMonsterAnnie

Postby LilMonsterAnnie » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:14 pm

sidhesadie wrote:
emhellmer wrote:

sorry, but he wins the putz award

firemed

Postby firemed » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:49 pm

I hate, in principle, to agree with lolschool... but the dude is right. Trader Joes makes so much inexpensive food that not only tastes incredible but takes less than three minutes to prep. And it is usually healthier.

Eff any other supermarkets. Why pay twice as much to cook it myself? When I got into schools in Canada, a major factor against moving was the fact that there is no TJs up there.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”