OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
a_evans89
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:04 pm

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby a_evans89 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:25 pm

Another old person here..39, married, one kid.

Question for Jazz and KMaine: How do you (having been through an OCI) see someone my age (43 upon graduation) being looked at in an interview. FYI: my w/e is as a civil construction estimator...also, does being a veteran help at all?

User avatar
homestyle28
Posts: 2312
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:48 pm

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby homestyle28 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:28 pm

JazzOne wrote:I am a 33-year-old 2L. I took a full scholarship at my state school (UT). I didn't apply anywhere else because I wanted to practice in Texas and my SO moved with me to Austin. I am taking on very little debt for law school. I had a real tough time at OCI despite having terrific grades. I often suspected that my age had something to do with it. I got the impression that the firms were looking for something specific, and I was constantly having to explain my career moves. I was a teacher prior to law school. I finally snagged a biglaw gig after I became tired of all the BS and I finally just told a hiring partner the truth about my career mistakes. Instead of trying to put a positive spin on my background, I just said, "Look, I made a mistake, and now I'm fixing it." I only got three or four callbacks (out of like 30 screening interviews). I got two offers, and one of them is with a high-profile litigation boutique. I am very excited about that particular job offer.


I'm hoping I have the sack to say this.

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby JazzOne » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:34 pm

a_evans89 wrote:Another old person here..39, married, one kid.

Question for Jazz and KMaine: How do you (having been through an OCI) see someone my age (43 upon graduation) being looked at in an interview. FYI: my w/e is as a civil construction estimator...also, does being a veteran help at all?

I personally think it hurts a lot at big firms. Biglaw firms are kind of like fraternities. They are trying to build a cool little community in addition to working associates to death so the partners can make gobs of money. I think they are skeptical of older applicants because we have options, and we don't have to take someone's shit who's a 29-year-old senior associate know-it-all. I could go back to teaching in a heartbeat if I hated firm life. I was lucky enough to find a firm I clicked with. But I really suspect that my age and experience hurt me at other firms.

A lot of my friends who are getting biglaw jobs have been planning this career move for a long time. They either went into UG knowing that LS was on the horizon. Or else they had parents or family members in biglaw. I am one of the few people who came from a completely different background and actually landed a biglaw job. If the obstacles I observed are real, you can overcome them by carefully researching your job prospects. Make sure you know what you want. Don't walk into an interview and say you don't know whether you want transactional work or litigation. I recommend a serious dose of networking as well. Legal hiring is not a meritocracy.
Last edited by JazzOne on Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ScottRiqui
Posts: 3640
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:09 pm

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby ScottRiqui » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:35 pm

a_evans89 wrote:Another old person here..39, married, one kid.

Question for Jazz and KMaine: How do you (having been through an OCI) see someone my age (43 upon graduation) being looked at in an interview. FYI: my w/e is as a civil construction estimator...also, does being a veteran help at all?


Well, I'm hoping that if nothing else, it will explain what I've been doing for the past 20 years since finishing my undergrad!

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby JazzOne » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:36 pm

homestyle28 wrote:
JazzOne wrote:I am a 33-year-old 2L. I took a full scholarship at my state school (UT). I didn't apply anywhere else because I wanted to practice in Texas and my SO moved with me to Austin. I am taking on very little debt for law school. I had a real tough time at OCI despite having terrific grades. I often suspected that my age had something to do with it. I got the impression that the firms were looking for something specific, and I was constantly having to explain my career moves. I was a teacher prior to law school. I finally snagged a biglaw gig after I became tired of all the BS and I finally just told a hiring partner the truth about my career mistakes. Instead of trying to put a positive spin on my background, I just said, "Look, I made a mistake, and now I'm fixing it." I only got three or four callbacks (out of like 30 screening interviews). I got two offers, and one of them is with a high-profile litigation boutique. I am very excited about that particular job offer.


I'm hoping I have the sack to say this.

I said that after 20+ unsuccessful interviews in which I tried to spin it positively. The hiring partner at the firm was a counterinsurgency spy during the Reagan administration. He told me that he appreciated my honesty, and he also told me never to say that again in an interview. Then he explained how to frame my background in a positive light for the rest of my interviews. His spin was basically: "I have experienced several different industries, so I have sufficient perspective to determine that law is the right one for me." I think he was genuinely shocked that I just came clean and admitted my honest feelings. I am really looking forward to working with this guy.

User avatar
Iconoclast
Posts: 193
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 10:10 pm

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby Iconoclast » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:44 pm

I guess I'll chime in as well. I'm 40 and am in my second semester (first class tonight) at SMU. Unlike Kalvano, I'm in the evening (part time) program so I am continuing to work through school.

My experience has been that age isn't a handicap socially as long as you don't feel the need to take up class time telling a story about something in your past that relates to the topic of discussion. By all means, tie things in with your personal experience, but do it on your own. You'll find that when discussing electronic discovery in civil procedure, your classmates will get irritated if you feel the need to chime in every 10 minutes about how "your company" accesses archived data.

For me, the biggest challenge has been trying to find the time for a 3/4 load at achool (11 hours), a full time job, and keeping my family from breaking out the pitchforks and torches. I leave the house at 5:30 in the morning and get home after 10 monday through thursday, and that is just for work and class). All studying/reading/etc... has to be done outside those hours... so my weekends are pretty full.

My home-work-school-home round trip is 100 miles per day, so I "lose" between 2 and 3 hours per day depending on traffic/construction, but I've found that my "car time" is where I keep up on current events and unwind so it's not so bad.

I guess my biggest "words of wisdom" are that it's a major time/financial commitment, so you need to make sure your family is on-board. I couldn't do it if I didn't have the backing of my family.

Oh... related to the thread title. My oldest daughter (going off to college next year) once said to me, "Dad, you're not old school... you're just old!"

User avatar
KMaine
Posts: 862
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:57 pm

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby KMaine » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:48 pm

I mostly agree with JazzOne. I am fairly positive that my combination of age, family status, ties to a particular region, lack of business or technical experience eliminated me from consideration at some firms despite my grades and school. All you can do is do the best research you can, and (as much as possible in the short time frame of OCI) continually critique yourself and try to make your answers fit.

It is interesting that bluntness seemed to improve the results for both myself and JazzOne. I had always been successful in job interviews before and had great luck with my less aggressive answers in the small city market I interviewed with over the summer. All in all, I was about 0-12 in NYC getting callbacks, 4-7 in Boston (2 offers, 1 rejection), 5-5 in Portland Maine (3 offers, withdrew 2), 1-1 in Manchester NH (withdrew before callback).

Some firms will give you a chance, be on the top of your game when they do. As stated before I too am really happy where I wound up.

User avatar
KMaine
Posts: 862
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:57 pm

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby KMaine » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:50 pm

And I do think being a veteran helps. It shows a level of discipline and is a good excuse for not exploring law earlier (I could have left teaching anytime I wanted to).

trudat15
Posts: 900
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:57 pm

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby trudat15 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:28 pm

KMaine wrote:Short version is "I know I am an unusual applicant but I know I will be a great lawyer, and here are all the ways that I used all the skills it takes to be a good lawyer in my previous job as an English teacher." Worked like magic. I went from 1 callback in 18 big city interviews to callbacks at 3/3 of the firms I interviewed with. I will say I am really happy with the firm I ended up with, so it all worked out for the best.


JazzOne wrote:I said that after 20+ unsuccessful interviews in which I tried to spin it positively. The hiring partner at the firm was a counterinsurgency spy during the Reagan administration. He told me that he appreciated my honesty, and he also told me never to say that again in an interview. Then he explained how to frame my background in a positive light for the rest of my interviews. His spin was basically: "I have experienced several different industries, so I have sufficient perspective to determine that law is the right one for me." I think he was genuinely shocked that I just came clean and admitted my honest feelings. I am really looking forward to working with this guy.



Thanks. I know I'll be facing this question a lot in the next few years, so great to hear some answers that worked for you guys.

sbalive
Posts: 399
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:05 pm

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby sbalive » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:56 pm

Interesting thread, would have liked this while I was applying -- I'm a 2L now. In the course of 1L receptions and later in OCI/callbacks, I've met a fair number of 30-something associates, as well as BigLaw partners who started out as 30-somethings. (Of course, a lot of this is by virtue of who I was, since I either sought out people with backgrounds like mine or was directed to them.)

In my experience, when it came to employment, the age factor had its biggest impact on screening interviews where the screener was a late 20s associate. I luckily didn't have a lot of these (mostly they came for NYC offices while I was looking elsewhere), but in the few that I did have, there was sort of an inherent awkwardness that was hard to overcome, despite our best efforts. With BigLaw partners, there was no question about the power dynamic. Regardless of how accomplished I was before law school, they were at least my age or older + they had successful BigLaw careers and were far more clearly senior. Callbacks were fine -- I had a great time at lunches with first years who were like 10 years younger than me in some cases. I do think having hung out with other law students all year pretty much made me shed any pretentions of being wiser & more mature :roll: that can be the unfortunate consequence of aging.

Anyway, I'd say work experience will help with BigLaw. I do suspect older grads often avoid BigLaw since the lifestyle is really brutal and those of us with more experience have a better sense of what working all those hours really means. But, I do feel like I'm too old for LRAP, unfortunately, and I want it on my resume.

Feel free to PM, especially if you have a tech background.

Oh, I'd also like to stress the importance of law school rank if you do want to do BigLaw. If you don't, then don't worry about disrupting your family. Otherwise, go to the best law school you possibly can, since it's all about maximizing your shots at firms. Also, not having to stress out too much about grades is huge -- I do admit stressing out a bit, since I still have my pride -- but I'm glad I don't have to compete with those 24 year olds who live and breathe law school. 8)

secondcareer
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:19 am

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby secondcareer » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:57 pm

ScottRiqui wrote:40 now, will be 44 when (if) I start law school. I transfer to my last duty station in the Navy in September and then will be retiring in 2014 after 20 years in, so I've started to consider "what I want to be when I grow up" :lol:

I have a BS in engineering and MS in physics, but law's always interested me, and I've had a little experience with it during my time in the Navy. I'm mostly just hanging out here on TLS for the LSAT advice and to get a feel for the legal job market prospects. I suspect that I won't make my final decision until I see what kind of offers I get in other fields when I get closer to retiring, but I'm still going to take the LSAT, collect LORs, etcetera in the meantime.



I am with ya on the figuring out what I want to be when I grow up. I'll be applying to law school the same time as you do.

sbalive
Posts: 399
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:05 pm

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby sbalive » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:59 pm

dj666 wrote:
NonTradHealthLaw wrote:
dj666 wrote:The issue I'm facing is deciding between attending the local T2 school (which is an excellent school, by all means), or packing up the family and moving for three years to attend a T14 school.


Amen, x10. It was much easier to pull the trigger 10 years ago. I don't want my better half to be left picking up the collateral damage.


Fortunately, my better half and I agree on pretty much everything. We both waffle about what to do. She has a sister in Philly, so Penn is looking like a really strong option. Not sure about schools for the kids there, though.


If you live near Penn, your kids could go to Penn Alexander, which is one of the best public elementary schools anywhere.

User avatar
dj666
Posts: 64
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:33 am

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby dj666 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:34 pm

sbalive wrote:If you live near Penn, your kids could go to Penn Alexander, which is one of the best public elementary schools anywhere.


Definitely true. This is where the line gets blurry, though, and is emblematic of the life of a non-trad. See, my older daughter is in a Mandarin immersion preschool right now. There are a couple of those here in town, but none that we can find in Philly. Furthermore, there are two elementary schools in Philly that offer some mandarin instruction, but neither is full language immersion (her current school is full immersion through 5th grade, then transitions to part-time language instruction for middle school). This means that our daughter would essentially be a full year behind her classmates at her current school by the time we return (assuming we return, which is a question mark).

In short, it's often impossible to check every quality-of-life item off the list cleanly. There are certainly good schools in Philly, but we'd be making some sacrifice or adjustment that will have a long-term impact on our daughter's schooling. Is it worth it? Hard to say. This element of my personal cost/benefit analysis was not nearly as crucial when I was 22. And that's not a complaint.

User avatar
homestyle28
Posts: 2312
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:48 pm

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby homestyle28 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:58 pm

JazzOne wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:
JazzOne wrote:I am a 33-year-old 2L. I took a full scholarship at my state school (UT). I didn't apply anywhere else because I wanted to practice in Texas and my SO moved with me to Austin. I am taking on very little debt for law school. I had a real tough time at OCI despite having terrific grades. I often suspected that my age had something to do with it. I got the impression that the firms were looking for something specific, and I was constantly having to explain my career moves. I was a teacher prior to law school. I finally snagged a biglaw gig after I became tired of all the BS and I finally just told a hiring partner the truth about my career mistakes. Instead of trying to put a positive spin on my background, I just said, "Look, I made a mistake, and now I'm fixing it." I only got three or four callbacks (out of like 30 screening interviews). I got two offers, and one of them is with a high-profile litigation boutique. I am very excited about that particular job offer.


I'm hoping I have the sack to say this.

I said that after 20+ unsuccessful interviews in which I tried to spin it positively. The hiring partner at the firm was a counterinsurgency spy during the Reagan administration. He told me that he appreciated my honesty, and he also told me never to say that again in an interview. Then he explained how to frame my background in a positive light for the rest of my interviews. His spin was basically: "I have experienced several different industries, so I have sufficient perspective to determine that law is the right one for me." I think he was genuinely shocked that I just came clean and admitted my honest feelings. I am really looking forward to working with this guy.

I'd love to hear your perspective on life and biglaw as an older person w/more commitments. (I don't think you have kids, but an SO). It's not the shear number of hours that worries me, but the unpredictability. Are you worried about balance, etc.? What does your SO think about the biglaw life?

sarahh
Posts: 610
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:36 pm

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby sarahh » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:14 pm

I am only a young 28, but I have a house and a husband, so I feel that I am somewhat in the same boat as you all. With the way admissions have panned out, it looks like we will be moving cross country. I feel guilty about making my husband leave a job he loves - especially because I got into a nearby school - and worried about how quickly he will find a new one, but he has been very supportive and feels it is the best move for me. We are going to rent out our place. We put down a large down payment that I do not want to lose, and there are a lot of renters in the area. I am not sure if it makes more sense to move all of our stuff cross country or try to sell it and get new stuff. I wish I could just do a swap with someone.

User avatar
Ford Prefect
Posts: 475
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:30 pm

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby Ford Prefect » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:22 pm

I'll be 34 when I start next year. I'm a divorced father of two, so I'd like to go somewhere that's close to the kids but...that's kind of hard since they aren't in the same place. Like Jazz, I've taught for most of my professional life and I'd go back to it if I thought it was the better opportunity once LS is over.

There is the chance that at one of the schools I'm hoping for I will be a classmate of some old students. So I've got that going for me. :|

User avatar
nygrrrl
Posts: 4948
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:01 am

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby nygrrrl » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:26 pm

Hello all! I thought I'd join the party. Out of school 15 + years (you do the math), 2 little kids, just finished my first semester of 1L. Absolutely loving law school. Sometimes it's odd being the oldest one in class, but usually I completely forget that it's the case (as someone else posted, I'm pretty immature so it works out well...) and I definitely feel I have an easier, better rapport with the professors than some of my classmates do. I'm in a PT program and still working during the days (about 35 hrs/wk); time management is key but so far, it's been a blast.

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby JazzOne » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:30 pm

homestyle28 wrote:
JazzOne wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:
JazzOne wrote:I am a 33-year-old 2L. I took a full scholarship at my state school (UT). I didn't apply anywhere else because I wanted to practice in Texas and my SO moved with me to Austin. I am taking on very little debt for law school. I had a real tough time at OCI despite having terrific grades. I often suspected that my age had something to do with it. I got the impression that the firms were looking for something specific, and I was constantly having to explain my career moves. I was a teacher prior to law school. I finally snagged a biglaw gig after I became tired of all the BS and I finally just told a hiring partner the truth about my career mistakes. Instead of trying to put a positive spin on my background, I just said, "Look, I made a mistake, and now I'm fixing it." I only got three or four callbacks (out of like 30 screening interviews). I got two offers, and one of them is with a high-profile litigation boutique. I am very excited about that particular job offer.


I'm hoping I have the sack to say this.

I said that after 20+ unsuccessful interviews in which I tried to spin it positively. The hiring partner at the firm was a counterinsurgency spy during the Reagan administration. He told me that he appreciated my honesty, and he also told me never to say that again in an interview. Then he explained how to frame my background in a positive light for the rest of my interviews. His spin was basically: "I have experienced several different industries, so I have sufficient perspective to determine that law is the right one for me." I think he was genuinely shocked that I just came clean and admitted my honest feelings. I am really looking forward to working with this guy.

I'd love to hear your perspective on life and biglaw as an older person w/more commitments. (I don't think you have kids, but an SO). It's not the shear number of hours that worries me, but the unpredictability. Are you worried about balance, etc.? What does your SO think about the biglaw life?

In addition to my SO, I have a daughter from a previous relationship. My daughter lives with her mother and step father. Her step father is a soldier, so I thought he would get stationed somewhere else and my daughter would be moving. They haven't moved yet, but the writing is on the wall. I tried to stay in my hometown to be near my daughter, but once her mother married, I decided it was time to go back to school. This has been a real nightmare for my family. The uncertainty about the hiring process created a ton of stress for me. It took me a while to find a 2L job, and I'm sure that my stress caused stress for my family too. My SO has been through hell. She moved 600 miles across the state. She had to find a job and look into the schooling opportunities here. Then she had to live in a strange city alone last summer while I went to Dallas for my 1L SA. Now it looks like we'll be moving to Dallas permanently, and she was really hoping we could stay in Austin. I can't believe the sacrifices she has made. I had no idea what I was asking her to do, and I sometimes feel guilty about it.

User avatar
KMaine
Posts: 862
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:57 pm

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby KMaine » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:40 pm

I can be somewhat more positive than JazzOne. Worked for a professor last summer. It was portable so I could go "home" with my family last summer. This one will be a little more tricky as the fam will have to stay behind in NY for about 3 weeks when I start my SA in Boston. But my kids are in a great public school here, and being a student, I get to spend lots of time with them for now. LS is easy compared to real work . . . though you do stress a little about grades and jobs. In terms of Biglaw hours, we will play it as it comes. I feel confident I could transition to a smaller firm with fewer hours if I need to. Am looking forward to finally having some money though.

stevededalus
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Dec 25, 2008 2:33 pm

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby stevededalus » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:31 pm

I'm weighing the decision at age 33, with a wife and young child. Glad to know I'm not alone; the challenges are certainly different at this stage.

How many of you are choosing between moving for a top school versus staying local and going to the best school in the area? So many things would make it easier to stay local - wife's job, house, family, daycare options, etc. - but the job search is pretty dicey right now for grads from the local T1 and T2 schools. Not that there are any guarantees from the top schools, but the odds are better. I'm not entirely convinced it's the right decision; I want to become a lawyer, but the opportunity costs are very high over the next three years.

I would have to borrow for tuition in either case. We have a decent amount of savings, but I'd prefer to keep that in reserve for living expenditures rather than use it for tuition. Also considering whether to dip into my retirement account to avoid debt.

User avatar
ScottRiqui
Posts: 3640
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:09 pm

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby ScottRiqui » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:42 pm

stevededalus wrote:
How many of you are choosing between moving for a top school versus staying local and going to the best school in the area? So many things would make it easier to stay local - wife's job, house, family, daycare options, etc. - but the job search is pretty dicey right now for grads from the local T1 and T2 schools. Not that there are any guarantees from the top schools, but the odds are better. I'm not entirely convinced it's the right decision; I want to become a lawyer, but the opportunity costs are very high over the next three years.


I'm in kind of the same boat. When I retire from the Navy, my wife and I want to go back to the Dallas/Ft. Worth area, so that's where I'd be practicing. The GI Bill would give me a full ride at UT, but my undergraduate GPA from 1994 is hanging around my neck like an albatross, so I don't know if I can get in. SMU would be another option, but with the recent changes to the GI Bill, it would only pay for $17,500/year at SMU rather than covering the entire cost.

Then there's the opportunity cost of not working for three years and just pulling in my military pension (and my wife's paycheck), so honestly, if I can land a job right after retirement in the $85k/year range, I may forget about law school entirely.

The Real Jack McCoy
Posts: 279
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:55 pm

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby The Real Jack McCoy » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:46 pm

notanumber wrote:
trudat15 wrote:For those of you already in LS - did you go with any scholly money, or just loans? How do you feel about taking a full load of loans (200K) to attend school in this economy and at your age, and how are you faring in OCI?

Thanks


I'm going to be taking out loans. Thankfully not the full amount, because I'm poor and past the age where one's parents income counts for anything (in both financial aid and life). It's daunting - I've prided myself on working my way though college and never being in debt - but I sat down and did a cost/benefit calculation and things should even out within about 5 years after graduation. If I wasn't going to a school with a very good low income plan I'd have taken the money no questions.

I'd love to know how older folk have been fairing at OCI - especially people who may have advanced degrees. I'm worried that potential employers will see me as an academic flight-risk.*

* Full disclosure: I'll not turn 30 until a few months into 1L - so feel free to chase me out of your TLS nursing-home :wink: .


+1 on everything but age (though that too is close enough). Anyone with OCI stories, especially for older students with academic backgrounds, would be appreciated.

stevededalus
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Dec 25, 2008 2:33 pm

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby stevededalus » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:53 pm

ScottRiqui wrote:I'm in kind of the same boat. When I retire from the Navy, my wife and I want to go back to the Dallas/Ft. Worth area, so that's where I'd be practicing. The GI Bill would give me a full ride at UT, but my undergraduate GPA from 1994 is hanging around my neck like an albatross, so I don't know if I can get in. SMU would be another option, but with the recent changes to the GI Bill, it would only pay for $17,500/year at SMU rather than covering the entire cost.

Then there's the opportunity cost of not working for three years and just pulling in my military pension (and my wife's paycheck), so honestly, if I can land a job right after retirement in the $85k/year range, I may forget about law school entirely.

Scott, I was in the same situation regarding my GPA. I had good reasons at the time for having a middling GPA related to getting work experience for the career I currently have. The good news is, if you score high enough on the LSAT, some top schools seem willing to look past your undergrad transcript of 10+ years ago. Not sure where UT falls, but I imagine they'd give weight to your Navy career. Best of luck deciding what to do.

User avatar
ScottRiqui
Posts: 3640
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:09 pm

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby ScottRiqui » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:00 am

stevededalus wrote:
ScottRiqui wrote:I'm in kind of the same boat. When I retire from the Navy, my wife and I want to go back to the Dallas/Ft. Worth area, so that's where I'd be practicing. The GI Bill would give me a full ride at UT, but my undergraduate GPA from 1994 is hanging around my neck like an albatross, so I don't know if I can get in. SMU would be another option, but with the recent changes to the GI Bill, it would only pay for $17,500/year at SMU rather than covering the entire cost.

Then there's the opportunity cost of not working for three years and just pulling in my military pension (and my wife's paycheck), so honestly, if I can land a job right after retirement in the $85k/year range, I may forget about law school entirely.

Scott, I was in the same situation regarding my GPA. I had good reasons at the time for having a middling GPA related to getting work experience for the career I currently have. The good news is, if you score high enough on the LSAT, some top schools seem willing to look past your undergrad transcript of 10+ years ago. Not sure where UT falls, but I imagine they'd give weight to your Navy career. Best of luck deciding what to do.


Thanks for the encouragement - I'm certainly going to try. UT is notoriously unfriendly to low-GPA applicants, but when you're talking about a 44-year old applicant with a 20-year old undergrad GPA, coupled with a 20-year military career, an MS degree and hopefully a very strong LSAT, there really aren't very many historical data points out there to base a prediction on, so I'm not going to let myself get discouraged.

User avatar
emhellmer
Posts: 183
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:53 am

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby emhellmer » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:07 am

sbalive wrote:Oh, I'd also like to stress the importance of law school rank if you do want to do BigLaw. If you don't, then don't worry about disrupting your family. Otherwise, go to the best law school you possibly can, since it's all about maximizing your shots at firms. Also, not having to stress out too much about grades is huge -- I do admit stressing out a bit, since I still have my pride -- but I'm glad I don't have to compete with those 24 year olds who live and breathe law school. 8)


It's interesting; I have been out of college for 8 years now, and like most with a liberal arts BA, I have come to realize that no one cares where you went to school, and no one cares about your grades. I've had great jobs, but most of the people who hired me had never heard of my alma mater, and never once asked to see all the A's on my transcript! Anyway, it's been a little difficult to wrap my mind around the importance of prestige and high grades again, but I guess there really is something to it.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: echonov, Google [Bot] and 4 guests