OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
BLin98

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby BLin98 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:01 am

firemed wrote: You didn't mention it, so I have to ask:

The SO and child cannot move with you? Because in your position I would take the T2 with lower tuition. I understand not wanting to spend time away... which is why I ask why they cannot come with.

That may be in the cards later. We talked about finding a place halfway between so we both just commute 30-45 mins a day if it gets too rough. Going into 1L with 5 years of marriage and 11 years together total so we aren't exactly newlyweds who can't be apart.

The problem with just up and moving is we still have the house to dump for a loss, use for storage or rent out. Plus then instead of spending 200-300 a month for a spare bedroom in the local student ghetto just for me we are going to have to find our own place in a nicer neighborhood.

Not to even mention having to find a new pediatrician and a new daycare.

Leira7905

Postby Leira7905 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:59 am

BLin98 wrote:
firemed wrote: You didn't mention it, so I have to ask:

The SO and child cannot move with you? Because in your position I would take the T2 with lower tuition. I understand not wanting to spend time away... which is why I ask why they cannot come with.

That may be in the cards later. We talked about finding a place halfway between so we both just commute 30-45 mins a day if it gets too rough. Going into 1L with 5 years of marriage and 11 years together total so we aren't exactly newlyweds who can't be apart.

The problem with just up and moving is we still have the house to dump for a loss, use for storage or rent out. Plus then instead of spending 200-300 a month for a spare bedroom in the local student ghetto just for me we are going to have to find our own place in a nicer neighborhood.

Not to even mention having to find a new pediatrician and a new daycare.

I have a child as well. Her father and I are divorced and he lives in my current city. I was accepted at my top choice (UT), but it is an hour and a half drive from my house. I think I'm leaning towards making the daily commute to school in order to avoid having to sell my house. I also don't want uproot my daughter (she loves her current school), and I think it's important to keep her close to her father. The long drive every day will be tough, but I just don't want to have to deal with the ramifications of having to move right now. Plus, I think it will be worth it for UT.

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:04 pm

Leira7905 wrote:
I have a child as well. Her father and I are divorced and he lives in my current city. I was accepted at my top choice (UT), but it is an hour and a half drive from my house. I think I'm leaning towards making the daily commute to school in order to avoid having to sell my house. I also don't want uproot my daughter (she loves her current school), and I think it's important to keep her close to her father. The long drive every day will be tough, but I just don't want to have to deal with the ramifications of having to move right now. Plus, I think it will be worth it for UT.

Hey - is there ANY way that you could to this by bus/some kind of public transportation? I have to say, having 3 hours per day where you could read or sleep would actually be HUGELY beneficial. I mean, I would KILL for that.

Leira7905

Postby Leira7905 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:06 pm

nygrrrl wrote:
Leira7905 wrote:

Hey - is there ANY way that you could to this by bus/some kind of public transportation? I have to say, having 3 hours per day where you could read or sleep would actually be HUGELY beneficial. I mean, I would KILL for that.

Good idea! I hadn't even thought of that. Hmmm... I have some checking around to do....

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:09 pm

Leira7905 wrote:Good idea! I hadn't even thought of that. Hmmm... I have some checking around to do....

Leira, I'm so serious about that? I would run the numbers on PAYING someone to do the driving.
I'm a 1L right now, work FT, doing PT/evening program. Have to travel on business, Friday. When they told me I had to take this trip (about 3:15 each way) I was ECSTATIC - all I could think was, "6 hours???? I am SO getting all of my reading done for Torts and Property!!!")
:lol:

Leira7905

Postby Leira7905 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:19 pm

nygrrrl wrote:
Leira7905 wrote:Good idea! I hadn't even thought of that. Hmmm... I have some checking around to do....

Leira, I'm so serious about that? I would run the numbers on PAYING someone to do the driving.
I'm a 1L right now, work FT, doing PT/evening program. Have to travel on business, Friday. When they told me I had to take this trip (about 3:15 each way) I was ECSTATIC - all I could think was, "6 hours???? I am SO getting all of my reading done for Torts and Property!!!")
:lol:

I just checked, and they have something called "VanPool" in my area! I'll be signing up for that! Thanks for the idea!

firemed

Postby firemed » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:05 pm

Leira7905 wrote:
I just checked, and they have something called "VanPool" in my area! I'll be signing up for that! Thanks for the idea!

I live 40-50 minutes from my school. Like y'all, dumping the house is pretty much impossible. I haven't decided yet because we have to get my kiddo to school somehow, but if I can I am gonna try to ride the bus. The extra hour would be nice, and would let me get some work done. And riding the city bus is free for students here in town (student id=bus pass).

So I totally hear you guys. Now I just need to figure out how to get the kiddo to school. So far nothing has popped up.

emhellmer

Postby emhellmer » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:17 pm

So much love for this thread! I love reading about people agonizing over changing their kid's daycare. It's kind of a problem for me too. I LOVE the Montessouri school my daughter is at right now, and I promised myself that I wouldn't move her unless I found somewhere just as good. So now that I have narrowed down my list of schools, her list of schools looks like it is going to be the deciding factor. I've gone from obsessing over law schools to obsessing over the PK-3 curriculum and tuition at area Montessouri schools. LOL!

dj666

Postby dj666 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:23 pm

emhellmer wrote:So much love for this thread! I love reading about people agonizing over changing their kid's daycare. It's kind of a problem for me too. I LOVE the Montessouri school my daughter is at right now, and I promised myself that I wouldn't move her unless I found somewhere just as good. So now that I have narrowed down my list of schools, her list of schools looks like it is going to be the deciding factor. I've gone from obsessing over law schools to obsessing over the PK-3 curriculum and tuition at area Montessouri schools. LOL!

This sums up my life. We found a perfect school for our daughter here in Portland, but also found a fantastic Montessori program down in Berkeley. Haven't heard from Berkeley yet (and am bracing myself for the worst), but I'm honestly more obsessed with my daughter's schooling options than anything.

And if that's not enough to obsess over, there's always a long, painful visit to craigslist to check out rental prices near schools on my list. Information overkill.

Plus my incredible wife delivered our second daughter just two weeks ago, so, like, lots to think about.

oldhippie

Postby oldhippie » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:25 pm

congrats dj!! so many things to consider.......and i thought i had thought things out pretty clearly, but all the little details and realities definitely pile up....
and for y'all with kids it's exponentially more to consider, so i guess i won't complain (too much :wink: )

emhellmer

Postby emhellmer » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:34 pm

dj666 wrote:
emhellmer wrote:So much love for this thread! I love reading about people agonizing over changing their kid's daycare. It's kind of a problem for me too. I LOVE the Montessouri school my daughter is at right now, and I promised myself that I wouldn't move her unless I found somewhere just as good. So now that I have narrowed down my list of schools, her list of schools looks like it is going to be the deciding factor. I've gone from obsessing over law schools to obsessing over the PK-3 curriculum and tuition at area Montessouri schools. LOL!

This sums up my life. We found a perfect school for our daughter here in Portland, but also found a fantastic Montessori program down in Berkeley. Haven't heard from Berkeley yet (and am bracing myself for the worst), but I'm honestly more obsessed with my daughter's schooling options than anything.

And if that's not enough to obsess over, there's always a long, painful visit to craigslist to check out rental prices near schools on my list. Information overkill.

Plus my incredible wife delivered our second daughter just two weeks ago, so, like, lots to think about.

Haven't heard from Berkeley yet either, but if I hear something good I may be asking you for information about that program. The other terrible thing is looking at rental prices and realizing that the affordable studio in the shady part of town is completely out of the question. There is a HUGE price difference between places I would be willing to live while in school versus places you can realistically think about having your children live.

Congratulations on the new baby!

firemed

Postby firemed » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:39 pm

dj666 wrote:

Congrats dj!!!

And @ oldhippie: seriously, all the little things do add up don't they? Sometimes I still wish I was 22 simply because it would be sooo much simpler to go to school. No mortgage, no dogs, only 2 cats, no kids, no wife, no car payment, no furniture I cared about.... pretty much the only thing I would've had to worry about would have been my book collection and my cats.

oldhippie

Postby oldhippie » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:46 pm

firemed wrote:And @ oldhippie: seriously, all the little things do add up don't they? Sometimes I still wish I was 22 simply because it would be sooo much simpler to go to school. No mortgage, no dogs, only 2 cats, no kids, no wife, no car payment, no furniture I cared about.... pretty much the only thing I would've had to worry about would have been my book collection and my cats.

yup....getting a crappy studio apartment within walking distance of everything and not thinking twice about it....that woulda been me 15 years ago...and now here i am with a freaking mortgage so far underwater it's below the mariana trench and a truck payment that would have paid my rent 15 years ago!
whatever, i know in the end it will work out, i'll be in a new place with new circumstances and a new reality and before i know it, it'll be my new normal.
oldhippie the landlady. whodathunkit?

sarahh

Postby sarahh » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:51 pm

firemed wrote: And @ oldhippie: seriously, all the little things do add up don't they? Sometimes I still wish I was 22 simply because it would be sooo much simpler to go to school. No mortgage, no dogs, only 2 cats, no kids, no wife, no car payment, no furniture I cared about.... pretty much the only thing I would've had to worry about would have been my book collection and my cats.

Plus, we would have graduated in a better economy. But I was not certain of what I wanted to do when I was 22. And my my husband, who I met in college, said he would have dumped me if I went to law school right after college.

firemed

Postby firemed » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:18 pm

sarahh wrote:Plus, we would have graduated in a better economy. But I was not certain of what I wanted to do when I was 22. And my my husband, who I met in college, said he would have dumped me if I went to law school right after college.

To the thing about the economy: true that.

To the thing about leaving you: What? Why?

sarahh

Postby sarahh » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:23 pm

firemed wrote:
sarahh wrote:Plus, we would have graduated in a better economy. But I was not certain of what I wanted to do when I was 22. And my my husband, who I met in college, said he would have dumped me if I went to law school right after college.

To the thing about the economy: true that.

To the thing about leaving you: What? Why?

He wanted to go back home to be near his family and was not interested in going anywhere else. I followed him. Luckily, he is willing to move now.

dj666

Postby dj666 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:40 pm

Thanks to all for the well wishes. It's been a great year so far.

On a side note, the baby sleeps through the night. Awesome.

oldhippie

Postby oldhippie » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:45 pm

dj666 wrote:Thanks to all for the well wishes. It's been a great year so far.

On a side note, the baby sleeps through the night. Awesome miraculous.

FTFY :mrgreen:

sidhesadie

Postby sidhesadie » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:48 pm

On the public assistance issue, I know for me as a single parent, because I am in college I have to ALSO be working 20 hours a week to be eligible for food stamps. (I am on them now so I'm REALLY familiar with the program). I don't know how much it varies by state bc SNAP is a federal program but it's administered by the state office. (here its DHS - Department of Human Svcs).

If I am not working 20 hours a week in addition to full time school, I lose my food stamps.
However, if I were NOT in school, I could be unemployed and sit on my butt all day, no work requirement then. Just if you're in college.

firemed

Postby firemed » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:51 pm

sidhesadie wrote:On the public assistance issue, I know for me as a single parent, because I am in college I have to ALSO be working 20 hours a week to be eligible for food stamps. (I am on them now so I'm REALLY familiar with the program). I don't know how much it varies by state bc SNAP is a federal program but it's administered by the state office. (here its DHS - Department of Human Svcs).

If I am not working 20 hours a week in addition to full time school, I lose my food stamps.
However, if I were NOT in school, I could be unemployed and sit on my butt all day, no work requirement then. Just if you're in college.

WTF? Don't answer that, rhetorical question. Hmmm.... I'll have to look into that more.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:53 pm

sidhesadie wrote:On the public assistance issue, I know for me as a single parent, because I am in college I have to ALSO be working 20 hours a week to be eligible for food stamps. (I am on them now so I'm REALLY familiar with the program). I don't know how much it varies by state bc SNAP is a federal program but it's administered by the state office. (here its DHS - Department of Human Svcs).

No work requirement for PA, unless having an infant/toddler exempt you.

Leira7905

Postby Leira7905 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:53 pm

WoW! I didn't know that! That seems really unfair! You'd think they'd want to give the money to people who are trying to better themselves...... :?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:00 pm

Leira7905 wrote:
WoW! I didn't know that! That seems really unfair! You'd think they'd want to give the money to people who are trying to better themselves...... :?

Actually this is intuitively correct since full-time students are supposed to be supported by financial aid programs (cost of living included - which include meals).

sidhesadie

Postby sidhesadie » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:16 pm

I know, I found it sort of baffling. I do understand the idea of financial aid (which is really loans, LOL) being intended to cover meals, but that's only for ME. They (the school) don't give me extra for my son. My EFC is 0 whether my family size is 1 or 2, so I didn't get any more money to cover HIS meals, but still, I had to prove 20 hours per week of work in addition to full time school. If I quit school I could quit work.
I did also have to provide the financial aid award letter from the college so they could see how much I was awarded and factor that in.
I can understand (sort of) why a single person in school might not qualify based on the whole financial aid for meals thing, but I don't understand if you have dependents. But I am most decidedly NOT a math/economics major so I'm sure there's something I'm not grasping.

Either way, I haven't been getting 20 hours a week and my re-evaluation is coming up so I'm going to lose them. (every year you have to re-prove everything, I even had to bring in my schedules from work last time and a letter from the owner). Fun times. I really don't know how people game this system, though I know they do. It takes an absurd amount of time to get coverage even when you're being truthful. I can't imagine if you were full of it, lol.

edited just to add: the form just for the food stamps is 15 pages long.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:31 pm

No good.
Last edited by r6_philly on Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”