OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
nphominoid

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby nphominoid » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:26 am

oldhippie wrote:
canuckofchicago wrote:How did people prepare for their LSAT's since I presume most of all you were preocuppied with life's other demands?

I planning to retake it, but giving myself some time to mentally recuperate.

Richard

i did sections of PTs on the weekdays, tried for 1-2 sections a day, then every saturday morning for a couple months i had a lovely ritual of getting up early and doing an entire timed PT...

i did pretty much the same but wish i had spent more time doing the full timed tests in exactly the same way as the actual test, i.e. 5 sections, no breaks between first three, 15 minute break before last two, writing sample, etc. i work full-time and cut myself some slack on the full PTs due to end-of-week exhaustion and wish i hadn't, found the actual test much more draining than i expected.

oldhippie

Postby oldhippie » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:28 am

that is excatly why i did the full test under the real circumstances (As much as possible) - 5 sections, one 15 minute break, all that jazz...i needed to be sure i had the stamina to keep focused for the entire time. i know it helped a lot for me...7 point increase on my 2nd try (first try was with only 3 weeks practicing only LG)...

JeNeRegretteRien

Postby JeNeRegretteRien » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:40 am

oldhippie wrote:that is excatly why i did the full test under the real circumstances (As much as possible) - 5 sections, one 15 minute break, all that jazz...i needed to be sure i had the stamina to keep focused for the entire time. i know it helped a lot for me...7 point increase on my 2nd try (first try was with only 3 weeks practicing only LG)...

I agree. I actually second zenof180.com's recommendation of taking two four section blocks (basically two PTs) under test like conditions (4 timed sections, 15 min break, 4 timed sections). Do that a couple/three times a week and the real exam will feel comparatively easy.
Last edited by JeNeRegretteRien on Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

nphominoid

Postby nphominoid » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:33 pm

oldhippie wrote:that is excatly why i did the full test under the real circumstances (As much as possible) - 5 sections, one 15 minute break, all that jazz...i needed to be sure i had the stamina to keep focused for the entire time. i know it helped a lot for me...7 point increase on my 2nd try (first try was with only 3 weeks practicing only LG)...

yes, this is what i should have done. plus i'm a smoker and while practicing gave myself a smoke break between first and second sections, which of course i didn't get on the day of the LSAT itself. by the end of the test i could barely see the logic games as my brain was filled with visions of my first post-LSAT cigarette...

Leira7905

Postby Leira7905 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:37 pm

nphominoid wrote:

yes, this is what i should have done. plus i'm a smoker and while practicing gave myself a smoke break between first and second sections, which of course i didn't get on the day of the LSAT itself. by the end of the test i could barely see the logic games as my brain was filled with visions of my first post-LSAT cigarette...

I'm a smoker too... I KNOW I would have scored five points higher if I would have been allowed to have just one cigarette during break. DAMN YOU Marlboro!

sidhesadie

Postby sidhesadie » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:37 pm

nphominoid wrote:

On this note, I cannot stress enough to limit your fluid intake and go to the restroom RIGHT before you start, particularly if you're a woman who's had kids, lolol.
Seriously, I had to raise my hand and go at the end of section 2 (even though I DID go right before we started) because there was NO WAY I was going to make it through another whole section, and I was terrified the next one would be LG.
In the end that section (2) that I took a break in DID turn out to be my worst score after LG, (which was always bad, lol) but if I'd scored more typically in that section I'd have a 170 instead of a 167.

Moral of the story: STOP THE COFFEE AT LEAST AN HOUR BEFORE YOU LEAVE YOUR HOUSE!!!!!!! I drank it in the car on the way to the test center and that's what killed me.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:49 pm

sidhesadie wrote:
nphominoid wrote:

On this note, I cannot stress enough to limit your fluid intake and go to the restroom RIGHT before you start, particularly if you're a woman who's had kids, lolol.
Seriously, I had to raise my hand and go at the end of section 2 (even though I DID go right before we started) because there was NO WAY I was going to make it through another whole section, and I was terrified the next one would be LG.
In the end that section (2) that I took a break in DID turn out to be my worst score after LG, (which was always bad, lol) but if I'd scored more typically in that section I'd have a 170 instead of a 167.

Moral of the story: STOP THE COFFEE AT LEAST AN HOUR BEFORE YOU LEAVE YOUR HOUSE!!!!!!! I drank it in the car on the way to the test center and that's what killed me.

Stories like this crack me up. It's not like we were performing a 16-hour neurosurgery procedure or orbiting the moon in an Apollo capsule! It wasn't even the longest test I'd ever taken. (That honor goes to the 8-hour Fundies of Engineering.) I didn't notice any significant difference between a 4 section PT and the real thing, except I got to do 2 LGs and they are the most entertaining for me, so I was actually slightly less bored on the real thing.

canuckofchicago

Postby canuckofchicago » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:56 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
sidhesadie wrote:
nphominoid wrote:

Stories like this crack me up. It's not like we were performing a 16-hour neurosurgery procedure or orbiting the moon in an Apollo capsule! It wasn't even the longest test I'd ever taken. (That honor goes to the 8-hour Fundies of Engineering.) I didn't notice any significant difference between a 4 section PT and the real thing, except I got to do 2 LGs and they are the most entertaining for me, so I was actually slightly less bored on the real thing.

I can relate to these stories. My test in December I had to wait until 10:00am to start my test. Even though it says test time is 8:30, people just started to file in. I got in the at 8:00am and since we are not allowed to exit the room I wasn't able to go to the washroom/eat until the first break which was around 1:00pm. I lost all the adreline waiting for 90 minutes to start the test..ugg

sidhesadie

Postby sidhesadie » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:28 pm

Oh, totally. I go four hours without peeing all the time. Daily, in fact.

But you add nervousness onto post childbirth bladder (some of you ladies know what I'm talking about here) and it's all over.
I never had to stop and go during a PT, but I wasn't nervous. And it wasn't 7am with me guzzling coffee.

And they have...methods for the space shuttle! lol

er doctor

Postby er doctor » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:15 am

sidhesadie wrote:Oh, totally. I go four hours without peeing all the time. Daily, in fact.

But you add nervousness onto post childbirth bladder (some of you ladies know what I'm talking about here) and it's all over.
I never had to stop and go during a PT, but I wasn't nervous. And it wasn't 7am with me guzzling coffee.

So here I am working a shift in the ER and I realize that I frequently work 12 hours without peeing while guzzling cup after cup of coffee. Maybe that's why I did so well on the LSAT.....

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:45 am

er doctor wrote:
sidhesadie wrote:Oh, totally. I go four hours without peeing all the time. Daily, in fact.

So here I am working a shift in the ER and I realize that I frequently work 12 hours without peeing while guzzling cup after cup of coffee. Maybe that's why I did so well on the LSAT.....

So you're putting in stitches all jittery and thinking about your bladder?

er doctor

Postby er doctor » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:34 pm

homestyle28 wrote:
er doctor wrote:

Oh please there isn't enough coffee in the world to make me jittery. And my bladder can hold a week's worth of urine. That's what being an ER doc for a decade will do to you. (not to mention premature grey in the hair)

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:20 pm

er doctor wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:
er doctor wrote:

Oh please there isn't enough coffee in the world to make me jittery. And my bladder can hold a week's worth of urine. That's what being an ER doc for a decade will do to you. (not to mention premature grey in the hair)

I'm horrified by the visual of your giant bladder, I'm picturing something like a camel's hump. But ditto on the coffee, I'm going to try to cut back this summer before LS, see if I can't recapture the punch.

er doctor

Postby er doctor » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:56 pm

sidhesadie wrote:I'm horrified by the visual of your giant bladder, I'm picturing something like a camel's hump. But ditto on the coffee, I'm going to try to cut back this summer before LS, see if I can't recapture the punch.

Unfortunately more like a beer gut than a camel hump :)

delusional

Postby delusional » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:30 pm

31 yr. old father of two checking in... Also studied mostly after work and bedtime... My wife gave me Thursday nights and/or Sunday mornings for full tests... If I was an X-Man, I'd be the one with the supernaturally resilient bladder, so that was no problem, though I did go just before and during the break to be safe.

I was lucky enough to pull a great score on my retake, so I'd ordinarily be safe, but my age related issues are finances during school - I'll be lucky if savings can cover a second car to commute and a school laptop, and after that it's loans loans loans. Also, I don't have much flexibility - if I can't get a really good scholarship from a T14 in my area, I'll have to go on hold for ANOTHER year, and I've been diligently burning all my bridges at work, so I'd need to think about a temporary job, too.

I have to say that my kids were a pretty strong part of my inspiration to go to LS, and it's been fun going over the details of the application process with my six year old.

Anybody else researching government assistance for when you'll be down a salary? I've always taken pride in being self sufficient - is it awful to put my kids on government health care once I'm in school? What other government assistance is available for people who make roughly half of what it takes for a family of four?

sidhesadie

Postby sidhesadie » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:55 pm

Depends on your state and its programs.

I know here, if you're under 133% of poverty level (which varies by family size) your kids can be on the Oregon Health Plan. I think that's pretty typical. It's near impossible for an adult to get on it now though, regardless of income (if you aren't already on it) , it's based on a lottery system now.

oldhippie

Postby oldhippie » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:54 am

well, we met with a realtor this weekend and made the decision to not sell...we're going to rent instead for at least a couple years, no way we can take the hit we'd take if we sold right now....
so, now a search for a property manager who can handle my obsessive concern about what some yahoo tenants will do to the house we love and have cared for so carefully....and i'll be going back a few pages ITT to find the links to the refinancing programs to see if we can reduce our payments at all.....

kch3684

Postby kch3684 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:38 pm

So I get -2 on RC since I'm not 30 BUT I've been lurking here and this seems to be the thread for house advice as well since most elsewhere are coming straight out of undergrad.
I own my house in VT, heat with wood - anyone ever rent a house with wood heat? If so did the owner supply/stack the wood, just hand you the guy they had used phone number and how many cords they usually ordered, or let you figure it out on your own? Also are you going thru a rental agency or using classified and craigslist to rent?

oldhippie

Postby oldhippie » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:47 pm

when i rented a house with wood heat i had deal with the firewood thing on my own, but i don't know if that's standard.
as for the other question, i am definitely going with a property management company - i want someone else to screen tenants, do the credit check, be the one fielding the phone call when something breaks, collecting $$, all that good stuff. i don't think the fees are outrageous and the comfort of knowing someone is looking out for the place when i'm across the country is worth it for me...

kch3684

Postby kch3684 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:53 pm

Thank you!

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:54 pm

Completely off-topic, but Hippie? I thought MY Schope-Tar was the bomb... !!!!!!
LURVS the buffalo. :D

oldhippie

Postby oldhippie » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:55 pm

nygrrrl wrote:Completely off-topic, but Hippie? I thought MY Schope-Tar was the bomb... !!!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
i know!!! i friggin love it! it may end up being permanent :mrgreen:

albanach

Postby albanach » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:12 pm

oldhippie wrote:well, we met with a realtor this weekend and made the decision to not sell...we're going to rent instead for at least a couple years, no way we can take the hit we'd take if we sold right now....

I like to think I was always a careful tenant, but I'd expect a substantial number of renters are less careful than property owners. It's a fine idea as long as your emergency fund can cover things like a new range, dishwasher, water heater and/or AC unit.

Does the management company charge a markup on repairs or is it a fixed fee for organizing the repair and then you pay the repair company directly?

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:18 pm

oldhippie wrote:
nygrrrl wrote:Completely off-topic, but Hippie? I thought MY Schope-Tar was the bomb... !!!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
i know!!! i friggin love it! it may end up being permanent :mrgreen:

There is a babytar in the queue!

Leira7905

Postby Leira7905 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:45 pm

I wanted to let my fellow thirty-somethings know that I just got accepted to UT today... Super excited... I may be older, but I'm still in the game :-)

Return to “Choosing a Law School”