OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
canuckofchicago
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:08 pm

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby canuckofchicago » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:12 pm

It may feel weird sometimes but for me I love it. Finding students that are in the same age bracket as I am. Sometimes when you read law school boards you feel out of place, because people are younger and cannot relate to my or this thred's situation.

Sometimes I feel bummed out because I started everything in life a little later than I wanted to because not out of choice but out of necessity.

firemedicprelaw wrote::lol:
haus wrote:Richard,

I do not think that your age will be the primary issue here (If things go as planned I am looking at starting at 40-41).

One thing that could be an issue is finances. This will depend on many things, your current wealth, the cost of your upcoming legal education, the payment requirements for any loans that you might take out, the cost of living you experience both in and after law school, and the wages that you will make on your new path.

Although I am sure their are variations around the country, the general rule seems to be that PDs are generally not earning large amounts of money. This is fine, as long as you are in a position that you are not dependent on a large income.

If you have sat down, ran the numbers and are confident that you can live within the budget that your goal is likely leading to, then I see no reason why you should not pursue it.

Happy Hunting,



+1

Also, for a variety of reasons they are much less likely to discriminate based on age. Same is probably true for the majority of goverment and PI positions.

ETA: Does anyone else feel wierd sometimes posting in here? Like, I regularly think of myself as young still, despite the fact that I am in my thirties. Knowing me, I probably still will at 65! :lol:

firemed
Posts: 1195
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:36 pm

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby firemed » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:18 pm

canuckofchicago wrote: Sometimes when you read law school boards you feel out of place, because people are younger and cannot relate to my or this thread's situation.


Yeah, I hear that. I have found a lot of the 22 years olds to be surprisingly supportive.... but they definitely don't really get it!

User avatar
oldhippie
Posts: 538
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:41 pm

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby oldhippie » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:20 pm

i may be an anomoly, but i freaking love being in my 30s. still young enough to have fun, feel good physically (for the most part), somewhat in touch with trends and current events and such, but SOOOO much smarter about life and reality and priorities and what actually matters. and i know more about what i don't know which opens me up to continue learning every day...my 30s have been exponentially better than my 20s, and i'm counting on that trend to continue :D

Miracle
Posts: 929
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:25 pm

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby Miracle » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:49 pm

Leira7905 wrote:
Miracle wrote:I will graduate law school when I'm 28 and I feel that is too old! :cry:


Thanks for making me feel even older, Sport.


So sorry. I didn't mean to. I was just implying that I know how all of you feel. I feel the same way. I was just trying to be
kind.

Isn't an average age in law school 24? I will be 25 walking in-graduating 28/29. That's old!

I wish I was graduating at 25.

User avatar
KMaine
Posts: 862
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:57 pm

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby KMaine » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:56 pm

Miracle wrote:
Leira7905 wrote:
Miracle wrote:I will graduate law school when I'm 28 and I feel that is too old! :cry:


Thanks for making me feel even older, Sport.


So sorry. I didn't mean to. I was just implying that I know how all of you feel. I feel the same way. I was just trying to be
kind.

Isn't an average age in law school 24? I will be 25 walking in-graduating 28/29. That's old!

I wish I was graduating at 25.


Why? I would not trade my pre-LS career for anything. Am glad I will have had 2 careers. Going back to school later, I appreciate it even mroe.

User avatar
canuckofchicago
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:08 pm

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby canuckofchicago » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:09 pm

How did people prepare for their LSAT's since I presume most of all you were preocuppied with life's other demands?

I planning to retake it, but giving myself some time to mentally recuperate.

Richard

User avatar
oldhippie
Posts: 538
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:41 pm

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby oldhippie » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:11 pm

Miracle wrote:So sorry. I didn't mean to. I was just implying that I know how all of you feel. I feel the same way. I was just trying to be
kind.

Isn't an average age in law school 24? I will be 25 walking in-graduating 28/29. That's old!I wish I was graduating at 25.

:lol: you really can't say something like that in this thread... you're going to get a bunch of responses saying that's not old and they'll all be right...

User avatar
oldhippie
Posts: 538
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:41 pm

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby oldhippie » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:12 pm

canuckofchicago wrote:How did people prepare for their LSAT's since I presume most of all you were preocuppied with life's other demands?

I planning to retake it, but giving myself some time to mentally recuperate.

Richard


i did sections of PTs on the weekdays, tried for 1-2 sections a day, then every saturday morning for a couple months i had a lovely ritual of getting up early and doing an entire timed PT...

sidhesadie
Posts: 454
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby sidhesadie » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:12 pm

Miracle:
Aww, I don't think any of us thought you had any ill will.

It's sweet you are trying to commiserate, but the fact is, you don't know how we feel...you think you do, but you don't.

I can understand, because 10 years ago I didn't think there was that much difference between 25 and 35 either.

But hon, when you were graduating highschool, your peers were freshman in highschool. When I was graduating highschool, your second grade teacher was schooling you in cursive. When the folks around 40 were graduating high school, you were learning to WALK. Or gestating.

See what I mean? It's a completely different peer group. I appreciate that you feel a bit beyond your 'a few years younger' peers because you've finished some things they're starting. But it's just really, really not the same. It would be like me telling a 60 year old I understand how it feels to be working when your peers are retiring. No, I don't. I can empathize, but that's not the same thing.

User avatar
oldhippie
Posts: 538
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:41 pm

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby oldhippie » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:14 pm

^^^^very well stated

User avatar
KMaine
Posts: 862
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:57 pm

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby KMaine » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:16 pm

oldhippie wrote:
canuckofchicago wrote:How did people prepare for their LSAT's since I presume most of all you were preocuppied with life's other demands?

I planning to retake it, but giving myself some time to mentally recuperate.

Richard


i did sections of PTs on the weekdays, tried for 1-2 sections a day, then every saturday morning for a couple months i had a lovely ritual of getting up early and doing an entire timed PT...


I did about 1-2 sections a day, never took a complete test until the day of the exam. I did this for about 4 months.

sidhesadie
Posts: 454
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby sidhesadie » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:19 pm

oldhippie wrote:
canuckofchicago wrote:How did people prepare for their LSAT's since I presume most of all you were preocuppied with life's other demands?

I planning to retake it, but giving myself some time to mentally recuperate.

Richard


i did sections of PTs on the weekdays, tried for 1-2 sections a day, then every saturday morning for a couple months i had a lovely ritual of getting up early and doing an entire timed PT...



I did as many pt's as I could, which wasn't as many as I wished I could've. I tried to really focus on my weak points, which helped to some degree, but I'll be honest: 2 days before the test, I drove to my mom's house (town where the test was) and arrived to find her foot swollen to 3x its normal size because her cat attacked it (Seriously.) So I spent that whole day in the ER and taking care of her. Then that night my son was scared grandma was going to die and couldn't sleep. I was so exhausted the next day that my plan of drilling logic games all day (because in practice I learned that unlike the other sections, the more logic games I did in a row the easier they got) went out the window, I could barely see straight. Then that night, I got 4 random wrong number drunk dials on my phone around 2am, in a row. So, needless to say, my performance was probably not what it could have been. I ended up scoring at my cold diagnostic.

I think my point is study as much as you can, but when you get to that point where your pt's are consistent, just remember that CONTROLLING TEST WEEK ENVIRONMENT IS CRITICAL!!!!!!!!!
If I had it to do over, I'd have taken the test nowhere near anyone I know, and rented a hotel room. Seriously. Particularly if you have kids. They WILL pick the night before the LSAT to have night terrors or puke all over you. They will.

User avatar
oldhippie
Posts: 538
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:41 pm

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby oldhippie » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:21 pm

yeah, i managed to get a herniated disk the day before my LSAT. there's an old lady problem for ya! i just strapped on one of those heating pads that shaq sells and hobbled my way into the test...
be prepared for the unexpected!

Miracle
Posts: 929
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:25 pm

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby Miracle » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:25 pm

oldhippie wrote:
Miracle wrote:So sorry. I didn't mean to. I was just implying that I know how all of you feel. I feel the same way. I was just trying to be
kind.

Isn't an average age in law school 24? I will be 25 walking in-graduating 28/29. That's old!I wish I was graduating at 25.

:lol: you really can't say something like that in this thread... you're going to get a bunch of responses saying that's not old and they'll all be right...


Lol just because they say it doesn't mean it's right

Miracle
Posts: 929
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:25 pm

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby Miracle » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:27 pm

sidhesadie wrote:Miracle:
Aww, I don't think any of us thought you had any ill will.

It's sweet you are trying to commiserate, but the fact is, you don't know how we feel...you think you do, but you don't.

I can understand, because 10 years ago I didn't think there was that much difference between 25 and 35 either.

But hon, when you were graduating highschool, your peers were freshman in highschool. When I was graduating highschool, your second grade teacher was schooling you in cursive. When the folks around 40 were graduating high school, you were learning to WALK. Or gestating.

See what I mean? It's a completely different peer group. I appreciate that you feel a bit beyond your 'a few years younger' peers because you've finished some things they're starting. But it's just really, really not the same. It would be like me telling a 60 year old I understand how it feels to be working when your peers are retiring. No, I don't. I can empathize, but that's not the same thing.


The way you worded this post, you're coming across as if you are 40-50, and not 30-40

User avatar
Icculus
Posts: 1421
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:02 am

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby Icculus » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:30 pm

oldhippie wrote:i may be an anomoly, but i freaking love being in my 30s. still young enough to have fun, feel good physically (for the most part), somewhat in touch with trends and current events and such, but SOOOO much smarter about life and reality and priorities and what actually matters. and i know more about what i don't know which opens me up to continue learning every day...my 30s have been exponentially better than my 20s, and i'm counting on that trend to continue :D


+1

User avatar
KMaine
Posts: 862
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:57 pm

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby KMaine » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:39 pm

Miracle wrote:
oldhippie wrote:
Miracle wrote:So sorry. I didn't mean to. I was just implying that I know how all of you feel. I feel the same way. I was just trying to be
kind.

Isn't an average age in law school 24? I will be 25 walking in-graduating 28/29. That's old!I wish I was graduating at 25.

:lol: you really can't say something like that in this thread... you're going to get a bunch of responses saying that's not old and they'll all be right...


Lol just because they say it doesn't mean it's right


No, what makes it right is that 28-29 is the ideal age to land a firm job: old enough to have some experience, but not too old to be damaged goods.

User avatar
nygrrrl
Posts: 4948
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:01 am

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby nygrrrl » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:48 pm

Miracle wrote:The way you worded this post, you're coming across as if you are 40-50, and not 30-40

Some of us ARE 40-50.
Go play outside before you get sent to your room.

Miracle
Posts: 929
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:25 pm

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby Miracle » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:50 pm

KMaine wrote:
Miracle wrote:
oldhippie wrote:
Miracle wrote:So sorry. I didn't mean to. I was just implying that I know how all of you feel. I feel the same way. I was just trying to be
kind.

Isn't an average age in law school 24? I will be 25 walking in-graduating 28/29. That's old!I wish I was graduating at 25.

:lol: you really can't say something like that in this thread... you're going to get a bunch of responses saying that's not old and they'll all be right...


Lol just because they say it doesn't mean it's right


No, what makes it right is that 28-29 is the ideal age to land a firm job: old enough to have some experience, but not too old to be damaged goods.


Now that might be true, but not everyone is able to get work experience due to the bad economy.

sidhesadie
Posts: 454
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby sidhesadie » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:56 pm

I vote we continue to talk about the issues we are in this thread to talk about and not devolve into arguing with a 25 year old about whether or not he understands what it's like to be in his 30's and older.


One of the advantages of getting a little older is it becomes abundantly clear to you what you don't know, and you stop trying to convince everyone that you do.

Back on topic, what are any of the other single parents/working partner parents planning for childcare during 1L? I'm mildly concerned about how late I might end up being on a pretty consistent basis.

edited to add: how did the childcare thing work for those in the thread who are already in law school? Any suggestions?
Last edited by sidhesadie on Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
nygrrrl
Posts: 4948
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:01 am

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby nygrrrl » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:57 pm

Miracle wrote:Now that might be true, but not everyone is able to get work experience due to the bad economy.

Well, this RC problem you have is definitely going to be a hinderance, for you...

Also, what sidhesadie said. :)
To that end... what we do is have a FT babysitter (needed one anyway, cuz we both work) who has changed her hours so that she stays until my spouse gets home (letting me leave for class straight from work.) I am in school 4 nights/wk, spouse does dinner/bed/etc those 4 nights. Weekends are rough. Basically, this whole process is rough on your S.O. if you have kids.

sidhesadie
Posts: 454
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby sidhesadie » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:58 pm

nygrrrl wrote:Well, this RC problem you have is definitely going to be a hinderance, for you...



oh my, that made me giggle out loud!

Miracle
Posts: 929
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:25 pm

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby Miracle » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:11 pm

nygrrrl wrote:
Miracle wrote:Now that might be true, but not everyone is able to get work experience due to the bad economy.

Well, this RC problem you have is definitely going to be a hinderance, for you...

Also, what sidhesadie said. :)
To that end... what we do is have a FT babysitter (needed one anyway, cuz we both work) who has changed her hours so that she stays until my spouse gets home (letting me leave for class straight from work.) I am in school 4 nights/wk, spouse does dinner/bed/etc those 4 nights. Weekends are rough. Basically, this whole process is rough on your S.O. if you have kids.


How do I have a RC problem?

sidhesadie
Posts: 454
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby sidhesadie » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:28 pm

nygrrrl wrote: Basically, this whole process is rough on your S.O. if you have kids.



That's pretty much what I figured. Particularly fun for my S.O since the kid is mine from a previous marriage, LOL.
I just promised him that he can retire first. ;)

firemed
Posts: 1195
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:36 pm

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby firemed » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:06 am

nygrrrl wrote:To that end... what we do is have a FT babysitter (needed one anyway, cuz we both work) who has changed her hours so that she stays until my spouse gets home (letting me leave for class straight from work.) I am in school 4 nights/wk, spouse does dinner/bed/etc those 4 nights. Weekends are rough. Basically, this whole process is rough on your S.O. if you have kids.



I am hoping that the fact that I have been gone for 1/3 of the last several years, and spent a significant amount of my time studying to finish my UG during those years as well when I was home will have sort of prepped the wife for this. Of course, we have good daycare options too. And next year every saturday and half of every sunday I will have to take care of the kiddo all by myself. And we might have my kiddo spend the night at grandma's on sunday night too so that we can both study. Ugh. When I write it out like this I feel bad for my kid, not for my wife.

Oh, and oldhippie, +100 to your comment about being 30!




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: jeffcooon and 5 guests