OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
YoungFogey

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby YoungFogey » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:55 pm

run26.2 wrote:
What is the pessimistic view of which you speak?

Maybe that wasn't the right word. I was referring to their experience, that, while they got jobs, they felt that they didn't do as well as they would have if they had been younger. (KMaine saying "but think I would have gotten more offers if I were younger", JazzOne saying "I had a real tough time at OCI despite having terrific grades. I often suspected that my age had something to do with it," etc.)

This was not my experience. Mine was quite the opposite where I felt I was getting more opportunities. Since the best we can do here is give anecdotes, I just wanted to share my experience that the vast majority of employers (all BigLaw) I interviewed with responded very well to my non-trad resume -- better than my grades would have predicted.

I'm not trying to argue with other's experiences, or even with the point that non-trads (actually everyone, I think) should look their resume and play up strengths and minimize possible weaknesses. All I was trying to do was throw another data point up there.

Now that being said, I think I may be more pessimistic than most about whether or not law school as a non-trad is a good idea, even if you do get the job in the end. :lol:

legal10101

Postby legal10101 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:53 pm

In short, I am doing this because it is going to make me happy, which is something my current career is not doing for me.[/quote]

I think it is awesome that you want to obtain a law degree. I only know of one physician that has an MD and a JD, and honestly, if you stay in the healthcare world, that will be huge. Now if you understand the regulatory side like the clinical side, that is a HUGE plus.... good for you!!

I actually thought about getting my RN for the hell of it. One of the attorneys I work with is also a LD nurse. To have the clinical knowledge with it is sooooo huge.

er doctor

Postby er doctor » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:02 pm

legal10101 wrote:In short, I am doing this because it is going to make me happy, which is something my current career is not doing for me.

I think it is awesome that you want to obtain a law degree. I only know of one physician that has an MD and a JD, and honestly, if you stay in the healthcare world, that will be huge. Now if you understand the regulatory side like the clinical side, that is a HUGE plus.... good for you!!

I actually thought about getting my RN for the hell of it. One of the attorneys I work with is also a LD nurse. To have the clinical knowledge with it is sooooo huge.[/quote]

Thanks for the support! Reading this thread has left me a little wary of my employment options (I am a doctor - being humble comes very hard to me).

Miracle

Postby Miracle » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:13 pm

I will graduate law school when I'm 28 and I feel that is too old! :cry:

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:14 pm

Miracle wrote:I will graduate law school when I'm 28 and I feel that is too old! :cry:

wrong thread, homie

er doctor

Postby er doctor » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:41 pm

Miracle wrote:I will graduate law school when I'm 28 and I feel that is too old! :cry:

i have shoes older than you.

Leira7905

Postby Leira7905 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:54 pm

Thanks for making me feel even older, Sport.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:33 am

er doctor wrote:

What kind of doctor are you again? :lol:

er doctor

Postby er doctor » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:41 am

r6_philly wrote:
er doctor wrote:

What kind of doctor are you again? :lol:

I'm the kind of doctor who occasionally gets blood/vomit/pus on his shoes at work. I am currently wearing 5 year old sneakers. I envy the doctors who wear Italian loafers to work.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:44 am

er doctor wrote:I'm the kind of doctor who occasionally gets blood/vomit/pus on his shoes at work. I am currently wearing 5 year old sneakers. I envy the doctors who wear Italian loafers to work.

Orthopedics? :lol: them guys can wear flip flops and/or golf shoes.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:05 am

sbalive wrote:At the same time, yeah, I wasn't in the ballgame for the real elitist grinders, i.e. V5, but certainly V10 on down I didn't encounter much skepticism.

This - I'm not bidding on Skadden, Cravath and other sweatshops anyhow. Any I mistakenly bid on I hope I get dinged out of upon OCI/EWI.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:10 am

GTFO

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:25 am

paulinaporizkova wrote:

wrong thread, homie

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:32 am

nygrrrl wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:

wrong thread, homie

Man we're grumpy. More fiber and coffee everyone, we'll feel better.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:39 am

KMaine wrote:From my personal perspective, my background in education was not seen as a plus until I figured out exactly how to frame it and pushed VERY HARD to overcome the negatives that potential employers perceived in my background. I have a firm job that I am very pleased with, so it is certainly not all doom and gloom, it is just good for people to know that potential employers are not necessarily going to be thrilled that you are over 30 and want to work for their firm.

As one who will (hopefully) be in a similar position (I hope to begin school in the fall), how exactly do you frame a career in education? I am currently a teacher and I would love some insight in to thinking about this. Also, prior to teaching I spent about three years in finance and I hold a real estate license (needed to work through grad school with a flexible schedule), from your experience as a non-trad would this much diversity in my work experience be considered too much by many firms.

Also wanted to thank everyone for this thread, I have found it very helpful and it's made me pretty excited to get back to school!

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:42 am

homestyle28 wrote:
nygrrrl wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:

wrong thread, homie

Man we're grumpy. More fiber and coffee everyone, we'll feel better.

Feh. Why won't these damn kids get off my lawn?
My pills... where are my PILLS????
NURSE!

oldhippie

Postby oldhippie » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:49 am

dang whippersnappers...
**shakes cane**

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:55 am

I should have been in this thread a long time ago.

Is anyone willing to speculate about whether the issues related to non-trads are mitigated a bit at Northwestern? Interviewers coming to OCI at that place have to know they're going to get a lot of non-trads. Sorry if the question is handled elsewhere.

sidhesadie

Postby sidhesadie » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:21 pm

Ohhh, I LOVE this thread! I'm 34, will be 35 in the fall when I start LS. Single mom of a 10 year old.
I do, fortunately, have an uber-supportive boyfriend with a good solid job.

I'm also in Oregon (represent!) and although I applied to a number of schools (LSAC fee waiver, lol) my choices truly are limited to L&C (who still refuse to send me my info even though I can log into the admitted students site) and Willamette. (from where I live, it's only about 45 minutes to Salem). I got a near full scholarship offer from Willamette which I'm relatively sure I can bump to full ride with a bit of negotiation. But even if not it only leaves me a couple K a year to pay.

My ex husband is a lawyer and I worked in his firm (he was owner/sole shareholder, small multi attorney firm) as a legal secretary for a number of years (I've also been a hairstylist/makeup artist and a real estate broker). I'd like to work in criminal prosecution but if the market stays as it is and hiring freezes continue I'm prepared to hang a family law shingle as well, my ex did criminal defense and family law so I'm already pretty comfortable with those areas but criminal defense is not something I'm interested in.
Taking on more than about 10K total in debt is not something I'm willing to do, fortunately with the willamette offer I won't have to, but I'm hoping for a little more love from L&C. If not, so be it. Definitely not paying sticker or taking on massive loans.

While I'm not looking at BigLaw, I think that age is a factor in any firm. I'm planning to just not mention it. Due to a huge gap between the first two years and last two years of undergrad, I actually get my B.S. in June 2011, so that won't tip anything off, and I look like I'm in my mid 20's. (not my opinion, but the opinion of all the 20 somethings I'm in undergrad with, including the adorable 22 year old boys who hit on me lol). However, I will definitely be utilizing the ideas in this thread for answering those difficult questions should they arise..

I also think that anyone under 30 who posts in this thread despite the clear thread title should lose 2 points off their LSAT reading comprehension score.

er doctor

Postby er doctor » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:26 pm

sidhesadie wrote:I also think that anyone under 30 who posts in this thread despite the clear thread title should lose 2 points off their LSAT reading comprehension score.

This.

oldhippie

Postby oldhippie » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:26 pm

sidhesadie wrote:I also think that anyone under 30 who posts in this thread despite the clear thread title should lose 2 points off their LSAT reading comprehension score.

:lol: :lol:

welcome and good luck!!

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:30 pm

oldhippie wrote:

:lol: :lol:

welcome and good luck!!

canuckofchicago

Postby canuckofchicago » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:19 pm

Hello everyone and thank you to OldHippie for inviting me to this topic discussion.

Finally I found a place where I can talk to other students or potential students that might be the same boat as I am.

I am hoping to either start or get involved in a discussion with a non-traditional student(s) regarding law school. Most of the time people talk about doing only Biglaw for whatever reason, but I hoping there are some potential students that are looking at maybe going into the Public Defender's office or working on Wrongful conviction cases, which is where I eventually want to work and want to do.

I will be (hopefully) starting Loyola Law School - Chicago when I am 35, which is 3 years from now. I will also be moving from Toronto to Chicago with my wife (who is from Chicago).

Does anyone think at 38 (when I graduate) is to old for the PD's office or working on Wrongful conviction cases? I have been fully committed in my University/Adult life to researching, writing, presenting on wrongful convictions, and even volunteering at one of the organizations up here that is dedicated to helping those wrongfully imprisoned.

As I said before I am looking to start a dialogue with people.

Thanks
Richard aka CanuckofChicago

haus

Postby haus » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:46 pm

canuckofchicago wrote:Does anyone think at 38 (when I graduate) is to old for the PD's office or working on Wrongful conviction cases? I have been fully committed in my University/Adult life to researching, writing, presenting on wrongful convictions, and even volunteering at one of the organizations up here that is dedicated to helping those wrongfully imprisoned.

Richard,

I do not think that your age will be the primary issue here (If things go as planned I am looking at starting at 40-41).

One thing that could be an issue is finances. This will depend on many things, your current wealth, the cost of your upcoming legal education, the payment requirements for any loans that you might take out, the cost of living you experience both in and after law school, and the wages that you will make on your new path.

Although I am sure their are variations around the country, the general rule seems to be that PDs are generally not earning large amounts of money. This is fine, as long as you are in a position that you are not dependent on a large income.

If you have sat down, ran the numbers and are confident that you can live within the budget that your goal is likely leading to, then I see no reason why you should not pursue it.

Happy Hunting,

firemed

Postby firemed » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:04 pm

:lol:
haus wrote:Richard,

I do not think that your age will be the primary issue here (If things go as planned I am looking at starting at 40-41).

One thing that could be an issue is finances. This will depend on many things, your current wealth, the cost of your upcoming legal education, the payment requirements for any loans that you might take out, the cost of living you experience both in and after law school, and the wages that you will make on your new path.

Although I am sure their are variations around the country, the general rule seems to be that PDs are generally not earning large amounts of money. This is fine, as long as you are in a position that you are not dependent on a large income.

If you have sat down, ran the numbers and are confident that you can live within the budget that your goal is likely leading to, then I see no reason why you should not pursue it.

Happy Hunting,

+1

Also, for a variety of reasons they are much less likely to discriminate based on age. Same is probably true for the majority of goverment and PI positions.

ETA: Does anyone else feel wierd sometimes posting in here? Like, I regularly think of myself as young still, despite the fact that I am in my thirties. Knowing me, I probably still will at 65! :lol:

Return to “Choosing a Law School”