OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT) Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Leira7905

Bronze

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Post by Leira7905 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:02 pm

I'm 31 AND a single mom. I've been working as a Paralegal for over four years, so law school has been in my plans for a while now. My big issue is that my ex-husband lives in the same city where I live now, so if I moved too far away for law school, it would create a problem with his having regular visitation. I live in Texas so I've confined my law school prospects to this state. I'm hoping for UT Austin (only an hour and half from where I live), but it's a reach with my numbers (165, 3.51)... my number 2 choice is U of Houston, but that's three hours away! I just know my ex will pitch a fit if I try to go there.... Ugh.

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:08 pm

Leira7905 wrote:I'm 31 AND a single mom. I've been working as a Paralegal for over four years, so law school has been in my plans for a while now. My big issue is that my ex-husband lives in the same city where I live now, so if I moved too far away for law school, it would create a problem with his having regular visitation. I live in Texas so I've confined my law school prospects to this state. I'm hoping for UT Austin (only an hour and half from where I live), but it's a reach with my numbers (165, 3.51)... my number 2 choice is U of Houston, but that's three hours away! I just know my ex will pitch a fit if I try to go there.... Ugh.
Are there legal restrictions on where you can live?

Leira7905

Bronze

Post by Leira7905 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:15 pm

homestyle28 wrote:
Leira7905 wrote:I'm 31 AND a single mom. I've been working as a Paralegal for over four years, so law school has been in my plans for a while now. My big issue is that my ex-husband lives in the same city where I live now, so if I moved too far away for law school, it would create a problem with his having regular visitation. I live in Texas so I've confined my law school prospects to this state. I'm hoping for UT Austin (only an hour and half from where I live), but it's a reach with my numbers (165, 3.51)... my number 2 choice is U of Houston, but that's three hours away! I just know my ex will pitch a fit if I try to go there.... Ugh.

I have no geographical restriction in my Divorce Decree, so short answer is "No"
However, if I up and move, there's nothing stopping him from filing to modify the decree, or, worse yet, suing for custody.
I want to go to court, but as a lawyer, not as a client.... lol.

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:17 pm

Leira7905 wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:

I have no geographical restriction in my Divorce Decree, so short answer is "No"
However, if I up and move, there's nothing stopping him from filing to modify the decree, or, worse yet, suing for custody.
I want to go to court, but as a lawyer, not as a client.... lol.
Just go pro se then ;) Seriously though good luck on UT.

ScottRiqui

Gold

Post by ScottRiqui » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:29 pm

40 now, will be 44 when (if) I start law school. I transfer to my last duty station in the Navy in September and then will be retiring in 2014 after 20 years in, so I've started to consider "what I want to be when I grow up" :lol:

I have a BS in engineering and MS in physics, but law's always interested me, and I've had a little experience with it during my time in the Navy. I'm mostly just hanging out here on TLS for the LSAT advice and to get a feel for the legal job market prospects. I suspect that I won't make my final decision until I see what kind of offers I get in other fields when I get closer to retiring, but I'm still going to take the LSAT, collect LORs, etcetera in the meantime.
Last edited by ScottRiqui on Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MURPH

Silver

Post by MURPH » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:37 pm

I am a 35 yr old 1L. It is fun. My wife and kids are supportive. I go to UCLA. If anyone has any questions let me know.

emhellmer

Bronze

Post by emhellmer » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:44 pm

lolschool2011 wrote:I think we need a thread of our own to discuss and share considerations of the over-30 LS bound set. There seems to be an additional range or layer of variables involved in our decision to head back to LS, so I'd like to start the discussion here.....

If you care to share, how do plan to leverage your work experience both while in LS and afterwards when it's time to interview? (including summer work)
Fantastic idea! I'll be 30 when I start, and I often read through these threads looking for information and feel like an old lady.

As far as work experience, I have been a social worker in various fields for 6 years. I plan on emphasizing my clinical training and experience as it relates to gathering information, listening to what is NOT said, presenting options, and in general working with people who are struggling and in need of direction. I also know a lot about community resources and programs available for almost every kind of need, and I feel that that will help me aid clients from a variety of backgrounds. Given my personality, I think the only realistic career option in which I would be happy is one in which I work directly with clients, so I hope this experience helps me find a job in my new career as a lawyer.

Ditto to chuckling when people freak out about the market for legal employment :-)

kopper

New

Post by kopper » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:54 pm

Fortunately, my better half and I agree on pretty much everything. We both waffle about what to do. She has a sister in Philly, so Penn is looking like a really strong option. Not sure about schools for the kids there, though.

Also note that, though my posts make it sound like I have poop in my pants, I'm really excited and lucky to be facing such a decision.[/quote]

I see you got into Penn and are considering Philly. I am nontrad student currently 1L. I am born and raised in Philly. If you have any questions on the area or being a late 30's law student let me know. In short, I highly recommend law school if you feel it is right for you and the Philly area. Schools can be a challenge if you live in the city however very good schools in the surrounding suburbs that can also be easy access into Center City via the train. Good luck!

trudat15

Silver

Post by trudat15 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:07 pm

For those of you already in LS - did you go with any scholly money, or just loans? How do you feel about taking a full load of loans (200K) to attend school in this economy and at your age, and how are you faring in OCI?

Thanks

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dj666

New

Post by dj666 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:23 pm

kopper wrote:I see you got into Penn and are considering Philly. I am nontrad student currently 1L. I am born and raised in Philly. If you have any questions on the area or being a late 30's law student let me know. In short, I highly recommend law school if you feel it is right for you and the Philly area. Schools can be a challenge if you live in the city however very good schools in the surrounding suburbs that can also be easy access into Center City via the train. Good luck!
Thanks! My wife and I are very city-oriented, and the thought of moving to the suburbs disorients us a bit. We have heard good things about a few of the city elementary schools, but the preschool options are confusing. My niece recently enrolled in a preschool in Queen Village, but I get the impression that her parents chose it based on availability rather than any sort of affinity for the school itself. Anyway, it's good know that you highly recommend law school. It feels like the right move for me. And Philly is awesome.

notanumber

Bronze

Post by notanumber » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:23 pm

trudat15 wrote:For those of you already in LS - did you go with any scholly money, or just loans? How do you feel about taking a full load of loans (200K) to attend school in this economy and at your age, and how are you faring in OCI?

Thanks
I'm going to be taking out loans. Thankfully not the full amount, because I'm poor and past the age where one's parents income counts for anything (in both financial aid and life). It's daunting - I've prided myself on working my way though college and never being in debt - but I sat down and did a cost/benefit calculation and things should even out within about 5 years after graduation. If I wasn't going to a school with a very good low income plan I'd have taken the money no questions.

I'd love to know how older folk have been fairing at OCI - especially people who may have advanced degrees. I'm worried that potential employers will see me as an academic flight-risk.*

* Full disclosure: I'll not turn 30 until a few months into 1L - so feel free to chase me out of your TLS nursing-home :wink: .

lolschool2011

Bronze

Post by lolschool2011 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:25 pm

notanumber wrote: * Full disclosure: I'll not turn 30 until a few months into 1L - so feel free to chase me out of your TLS nursing-home :wink: .
You are hereby granted a temporary pass into this nursing home of law, but only if you drink some ovaltine tonight.

oldhippie

Silver

Post by oldhippie » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:27 pm

lolschool2011 wrote:
notanumber wrote: * Full disclosure: I'll not turn 30 until a few months into 1L - so feel free to chase me out of your TLS nursing-home :wink: .
You are hereby granted a temporary pass into this nursing home of law, but only if you drink some ovaltine tonight.

this made me lol :lol:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:32 pm

oldhippie wrote:
lolschool2011 wrote:

I'd chase him out, but I get winded after about 20 yards anymore. Instead I'll sit on my porch and shake my fist!

oldhippie

Silver

Post by oldhippie » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:36 pm

dang hooligans!!
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:37 pm

I'm a 1L, 30, married, homeowner, all that jazz, at SMU. Left a pretty successful sales career to go to lawl skool.

Let me know if anyone has any questions about stuff.

lolschool2011

Bronze

Post by lolschool2011 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:40 pm

kalvano wrote:I'm a 1L, 30, married, homeowner, all that jazz, at SMU. Left a pretty successful sales career to go to lawl skool.

How are you feeling about your decision? What does it feel like having 20 somethings will far less life experience as peers? How's the work load relative to a full time sales career?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Leira7905

Bronze

Post by Leira7905 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:41 pm

homestyle28 wrote:
oldhippie wrote:
lolschool2011 wrote:

I'd chase him out, but I get winded after about 20 yards anymore. Instead I'll sit on my porch and shake my fist!
Lmfao

NonTradHealthLaw

Bronze

Post by NonTradHealthLaw » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:48 pm

kalvano - i may be incorrect in my memory, but did you say in a previous thread that you have a pretty serious commute? is that the case, and if so, how has that affected your 1L experience?

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:51 pm

lolschool2011 wrote:
kalvano wrote:I'm a 1L, 30, married, homeowner, all that jazz, at SMU. Left a pretty successful sales career to go to lawl skool.

How are you feeling about your decision? What does it feel like having 20 somethings will far less life experience as peers? How's the work load relative to a full time sales career?

1) Fine. I got a nice scholarship, so I won't have near as much debt as others. I wish I had been able to sell my house and leave Texas, but oh well.

2) Law school is new to basically everybody, so your life experience really isn't much of an advantage over classmates. Everyone is in the same boat, really. However, sales helped with stuff like negotiation competitions, writing client letters, etc. The professional experience makes some of that stuff painfully obvious to me, but not to 22-year-olds.

Aside from that, the age difference isn't really a big deal. I get along with most people, and according to my wife, am basically 12 years old anyway. I don't go out on a lot of the 1L bar reviews and such, but people seem understanding that it's not that I don't want to hang out with them, it's that I'd rather be with my wife.

3) I was working 60-70 hours a week. This is much easier for me. I do most of my weeks reading on the weekends, with a little reading during the week. Closer to finals, that changed. But if you've worked a real job before law school, it won't seem that bad at all.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:53 pm

NonTradHealthLaw wrote:kalvano - i may be incorrect in my memory, but did you say in a previous thread that you have a pretty serious commute? is that the case, and if so, how has that affected your 1L experience?

Yeah. 41 miles one-way. It sucks a little bit because I'm not close to the school for stuff like running to the library, or tonight, when I have to go home, let dogs out, change, then come back downtown for a reception.

But I prefer to study at home, and if I need the library, I stay late.

I feel a little more disconnected than some of my peers, but nothing major. It's not like I am completely cut off from everyone.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

KMaine

Silver

Post by KMaine » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:53 pm

trudat15 wrote:For those of you already in LS - did you go with any scholly money, or just loans? How do you feel about taking a full load of loans (200K) to attend school in this economy and at your age, and how are you faring in OCI?

Thanks
Was lucky to get about a 1/2 scholly to my current school, which was a deciding factor in me choosing the school. However, have taken out additional $ to cover insurance for kids + increased COL stipend (wife works 30+ hours at a Montessori School). Got 2 offers in my city of choice (and 4 in a smaller "local market") but think I would have gotten more offers if I were younger, had a technical background or had a better answer to the "why the career change" question. Note: I thought I had a good answer to the question until I got no callbacks out of my first 12 or so interviews and realized I needed to be a little more aggressive in my answer.

trudat15

Silver

Post by trudat15 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:07 pm

KMaine wrote:

Thanks
Was lucky to get about a 1/2 scholly to my current school, which was a deciding factor in me choosing the school. However, have taken out additional $ to cover insurance for kids + increased COL stipend (wife works 30+ hours at a Montessori School). Got 2 offers in my city of choice (and 4 in a smaller "local market") but think I would have gotten more offers if I were younger, had a technical background or had a better answer to the "why the career change" question. Note: I thought I had a good answer to the question until I got no callbacks out of my first 12 or so interviews and realized I needed to be a little more aggressive in my answer.
THanks. If you dont mind sharing, what was your answer and new more aggressive answer? It cant be something like, I love law! Right?

KMaine

Silver

Post by KMaine » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:13 pm

trudat15 wrote:
KMaine wrote:

Thanks
THanks. If you dont mind sharing, what was your answer and new more aggressive answer? It cant be something like, I love law! Right?

Short version is "I know I am an unusual applicant but I know I will be a great lawyer, and here are all the ways that I used all the skills it takes to be a good lawyer in my previous job as an English teacher." Worked like magic. I went from 1 callback in 18 big city interviews to callbacks at 3/3 of the firms I interviewed with. I will say I am really happy with the firm I ended up with, so it all worked out for the best.

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:18 pm

I am a 33-year-old 2L. I took a full scholarship at my state school (UT). I didn't apply anywhere else because I wanted to practice in Texas and my SO moved with me to Austin. I am taking on very little debt for law school. I had a real tough time at OCI despite having terrific grades. I often suspected that my age had something to do with it. I got the impression that the firms were looking for something specific, and I was constantly having to explain my career moves. I was a teacher prior to law school. I finally snagged a biglaw gig after I became tired of all the BS and I finally just told a hiring partner the truth about my career mistakes. Instead of trying to put a positive spin on my background, I just said, "Look, I made a mistake, and now I'm fixing it." I only got three or four callbacks (out of like 30 screening interviews). I got two offers, and one of them is with a high-profile litigation boutique. I am very excited about that particular job offer.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”