OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT) Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Outofonesmind

New

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Post by Outofonesmind » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:47 pm

I just turned 36 and planning to go to law school next year. I have been studying for the LSAT like a manic I moved from Atlanta to Houston along with studying for the LSAT. I have been using the LG Bible but I wanted to know if anyone tried the Manhattan LR can anyone tell me which is easier for me to use.

OLitch

Bronze

Post by OLitch » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:41 pm

Outofonesmind wrote:I just turned 36 and planning to go to law school next year. I have been studying for the LSAT like a manic I moved from Atlanta to Houston along with studying for the LSAT. I have been using the LG Bible but I wanted to know if anyone tried the Manhattan LR can anyone tell me which is easier for me to use.
7sage was my favorite place for LG! I did the Powerscore LG bible first but I kept missing/skipping around 4-6 questions. After 7sage I was missing 0-1 questions each PT.

LR was my strongest area.
Powerscore's LR was awesome! I also took the full course after I worked through the bibles. I would recommend skipping the course if you are doing well with self studying. A couple of hours with a tutor could help polish up some of your problem areas.

Does Manhattan use real tests and real test questions? If not, don't use them!

Sonar80

Bronze

Post by Sonar80 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:49 am

Outofonesmind wrote:I just turned 36 and planning to go to law school next year. I have been studying for the LSAT like a manic I moved from Atlanta to Houston along with studying for the LSAT. I have been using the LG Bible but I wanted to know if anyone tried the Manhattan LR can anyone tell me which is easier for me to use.
I found Manhattan to be the best for LR. I too used 7sage for LG. I went -2/-3 in June's LSAT for LR. Manhattan really helped me get there.

seashell.economy

Bronze

Post by seashell.economy » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:55 am

Last edited by seashell.economy on Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Outofonesmind

New

Post by Outofonesmind » Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:45 pm

Thanks for the heads up I actually have both of them I find Manhattan a lot easier for me to comprehend.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Htexasguy

New

Post by Htexasguy » Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:41 am

edit
Last edited by Htexasguy on Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tigersunite

New

Post by tigersunite » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:24 am

Last edited by tigersunite on Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OLitch

Bronze

Post by OLitch » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:23 am

tigersunite wrote:I also hope the age requirement permits me to post here. I'm almost 29 1/2, will be 30 when I matriculate. I anticipate not attending too many parties and envying my classmates their ability to pull all-nighters. But I think the maturity and discipline I've gained in the past several years will be a huge help. There are plenty of early 20-somethings who really have their heads set straight, but I - alas - was not one of them. It's taken me this long to be truly ready for law school.
I think you have to be 31 at heart.

What do you all want to do after law school?

elterrible78

Silver

Post by elterrible78 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:33 am

tigersunite wrote:I also hope the age requirement permits me to post here. I'm almost 29 1/2, will be 30 when I matriculate. I anticipate not attending too many parties and envying my classmates their ability to pull all-nighters. But I think the maturity and discipline I've gained in the past several years will be a huge help. There are plenty of early 20-somethings who really have their heads set straight, but I - alas - was not one of them. It's taken me this long to be truly ready for law school.
My case was similar, except I didn't get around to law school until age 35! (Although I did have my head screwed on straight a bit earlier than that...but only a bit.) Good luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

tigersunite

New

Post by tigersunite » Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:20 pm

Last edited by tigersunite on Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chicharon

Silver

Post removed...

Post by chicharon » Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:37 am

Post removed...
Last edited by chicharon on Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OLitch

Bronze

Post by OLitch » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:18 am

chicharon wrote:Can I check in? I'm 28, but my concerns (marriage, kids, savings, first home, retirement) align a lot better with the 30+ crowd :lol:
Welcome!

I wish this thread was a little more active.

Maybe I can get things heated up by saying that the whole work-life-balance thing is a lie. There is no balance. There is just guilt and compromise.

unsweetened

Silver

Post by unsweetened » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:59 am

work-life balance is a myth

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

totesTheGoat

Silver

Post by totesTheGoat » Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:34 pm

OLitch wrote: I wish this thread was a little more active.

Maybe I can get things heated up by saying that the whole work-life-balance thing is a lie. There is no balance. There is just guilt and compromise.
I'll jump in to help. I'm only 27, but I'm married, live in the suburbs, and work during the day (going to school during the night). I had a career before law school, and I tried to pull an all-nighter the other night, but fell asleep by 12:30. :lol:

I'm still looking for the unicorn: a 6-figure paying law job that has a semblance of work-life balance. I want to be averaging under 55/week, and not having 75+/week become a regular occurrence.

RCSOB657

Gold

Post by RCSOB657 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:44 am

I remember back in my day when over 30 meant exactly that. Lol ;-)

OLitch

Bronze

Post by OLitch » Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:45 am

RCSOB657 wrote:I remember back in my day when over 30 meant exactly that. Lol ;-)
...and this thread is so active that we are turning people away! "Lol"

OLitch

Bronze

Post by OLitch » Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:49 am

Does anyone on here have kids?

I do. I must admit that I'm worried about my kids adjusting to our move on top of less mommy time. Parenting guilt is awesome!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

RCSOB657

Gold

Post by RCSOB657 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:50 am

OLitch wrote:Does anyone on here have kids?

I do. I must admit that I'm worried about my kids adjusting to our move on top of less mommy time. Parenting guilt is awesome!

Don't have, do want though.

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:03 pm

I had 1 kid who was 1 y.o. when I started law school, had 2nd during 2L summer...Unless you're a stay at home mom/dad, LS doesn't necessarily take that much more time than work, and you get more breaks/flexibility. Plus your kids will think visits to the law school are fun.

hokie6260

New

Post by hokie6260 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:19 pm

Chiming in for an old guy....37 married with 2 kids...just got a surprise acceptance so I am super pumped..Has anyone ever had to have lived at school which is away from where your family is going to be living? That's the boat I am in now, but still excited about the opportunity.

haus

Gold

Post by haus » Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:26 pm

My daughter was 5 years old when I started.

With work and part time school, time is short. My wife does the heavy lifting, but I try to make myself useful when/where I can (which over the last two weeks with travel for work and exams for school has not been often).

eta: for the first few years of my daughter's life I was working on graduate degree part time, so (sadly) this does not seem all that unusual to her.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

OLitch

Bronze

Post by OLitch » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:34 am

hokie6260 wrote:Chiming in for an old guy....37 married with 2 kids...just got a surprise acceptance so I am super pumped..Has anyone ever had to have lived at school which is away from where your family is going to be living? That's the boat I am in now, but still excited about the opportunity.
This is the reason I delayed law school for 10 years.

Is the geo-baching temporary or the whole time you're in school?

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:36 am

Started law school without kids, ending school with 3 toddlers. It is difficult but becoming a dad during law school was better I think than waiting til after when I'd have no time.

Basically 1L is hell but after that it's pretty easy to find a balance if you have a good partner and support system.

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:40 am

homestyle28 wrote:Plus your kids will think visits to the law school are fun.
hahaha no

OLitch

Bronze

Post by OLitch » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:07 pm

Capitol_Idea wrote:

Started law school without kids, ending school with 3 toddlers. It is difficult but becoming a dad during law school was better I think than waiting til after when I'd have no time.

Basically 1L is hell but after that it's pretty easy to find a balance if you have a good partner and support system.
3 toddlers!!! Triplets? Are you superhuman?
I'm inspired.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”