OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
historyman7

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby historyman7 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:06 am

Gotcha. Nope, aiming for Tier 1. I live in Virginia, so I have a variety of options. Keep your fingers crossed that they like my application.

spencercross

Postby spencercross » Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:05 pm

Glad to have found a thread of kindred spirits. I'm 40, will be 41 by the start of school next year. Greatly relieved to have finished my LSAT retake yesterday, though disappointed knowing that I didn't do my absolute best (damn that fourth logic game). In LA-area and target schools are UCLA and USC, but probably also applying to UCI and Davis. Would've considered schools in other regions, but real estate concerns and my wife's job make moving out of state problematic.

cc78

Postby cc78 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:15 pm

spencercross wrote:Glad to have found a thread of kindred spirits. I'm 40, will be 41 by the start of school next year. Greatly relieved to have finished my LSAT retake yesterday, though disappointed knowing that I didn't do my absolute best (damn that fourth logic game). In LA-area and target schools are UCLA and USC, but probably also applying to UCI and Davis. Would've considered schools in other regions, but real estate concerns and my wife's job make moving out of state problematic.

Good luck! I'm 35 (about to turn 36) and re-taking my cycle two years later. I am one of those weirdos to have made it to this age without kids or really any other things to hold me down, so I am applying widely and hoping for the best outcome of school quality and cost. It is great to see that there are other folks on this side of 30 chasing the law school dream.

elterrible78

Postby elterrible78 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:08 pm

cc78 wrote:
spencercross wrote:Glad to have found a thread of kindred spirits. I'm 40, will be 41 by the start of school next year. Greatly relieved to have finished my LSAT retake yesterday, though disappointed knowing that I didn't do my absolute best (damn that fourth logic game). In LA-area and target schools are UCLA and USC, but probably also applying to UCI and Davis. Would've considered schools in other regions, but real estate concerns and my wife's job make moving out of state problematic.

Good luck! I'm 35 (about to turn 36) and re-taking my cycle two years later. I am one of those weirdos to have made it to this age without kids or really any other things to hold me down, so I am applying widely and hoping for the best outcome of school quality and cost. It is great to see that there are other folks on this side of 30 chasing the law school dream.

I started law school at age 35, no kids (although I am married and my wife lives in a different city while I'm not in school). Not having kids definitely was a benefit during 1L (I realize that sounds crass). You're in a great position, baggage-wise. Good luck!

BVest

Postby BVest » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:30 pm

elterrible78 wrote:I started law school at age 35, no kids (although I am married and my wife lives in a different city while I'm not in school). Not having kids definitely was a benefit during 1L (I realize that sounds crass). You're in a great position, baggage-wise. Good luck!

I went to the airport and they told me I'd have to pay extra for my baggage... I said, "But my wife already has a ticket." /hennyyoungman

But yes, not having kids during 1L was helpful. Having a kid during 2L was certainly manageable, but also required lots of help at finals time.

historyman7

Postby historyman7 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:31 pm

Well, I submitted three of my five applications yesterday! Number four goes out this afternoon and number five, hopefully, tomorrow. Please cross your fingers for me!

spencercross

Postby spencercross » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:33 pm

historyman7 wrote:Well, I submitted three of my five applications yesterday! Number four goes out this afternoon and number five, hopefully, tomorrow. Please cross your fingers for me!

Excellent, good luck! It's killing me to sit here waiting on an LSAT score, but at least it gives me time to really polish my various addenda.

historyman7

Postby historyman7 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:45 pm

Good luck to you, too! Keep on polishing. That's what I am working on right now as well.

konoha

Postby konoha » Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:52 am

evesmum wrote:konoha - Thanks! My LSAT was right at Duke's median, 169. I definitely think my softs helped. I have 10 years of biotech experience - pretty heavy engineering and project management. I did not submit a "Why Duke" essay, and my PS focused on why I have decided to go back to school.

navykev - that's great! I interview with Georgetown soon…keeping my fingers crossed; although Duke is my top pick.

Nice! Duke is awesome and COL is nice as well. Thanks for sharing.

historyman7

Postby historyman7 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:12 pm

Accepted at the University of Richmond today and told that a financial package is forthcoming! This is a very nice Christmas present, if I do say so! Have a great day everyone!

navykev

Postby navykev » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:20 pm

historyman7 wrote:Accepted at the University of Richmond today and told that a financial package is forthcoming! This is a very nice Christmas present, if I do say so! Have a great day everyone!

Congrats -- visited the campus last month -- gorgeous place!

hokie6260

Postby hokie6260 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:40 pm

Glad I found this thread! First off, good luck to all those applying this cycle! I will be applying next cycle when I am 36, and deciding to get out of the military. I will be taking the LSAT in June, and hopefully won't need to retake. Married with two kids, but wife has a very stable job and will afford me all the time I need for school...if someone will let me in. I have a pretty strong GPA (3.69), but I've worked on my degree throughout my military career. Hopefully that will not count against me too much.

I look forward to hearing everyone's good news with this cycle! I'll be in your shoes this time next year!

Cheers.

navykev

Postby navykev » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:48 pm

hokie6260 wrote:Glad I found this thread! First off, good luck to all those applying this cycle! I will be applying next cycle when I am 36, and deciding to get out of the military. I will be taking the LSAT in June, and hopefully won't need to retake. Married with two kids, but wife has a very stable job and will afford me all the time I need for school...if someone will let me in. I have a pretty strong GPA (3.69), but I've worked on my degree throughout my military career. Hopefully that will not count against me too much.

I look forward to hearing everyone's good news with this cycle! I'll be in your shoes this time next year!

Cheers.

Welcome brother! I am headed to law school after 20 years in the military -- I'll be 40 when I start. My degree was all online and I got it over a 10 year period from various institutions -- dont think it hurt me -- got into my first choice law school in October! I think they understand that us enlisted guys can't get our degrees the traditional way. Good luck to you -- our GI Bill makes just about every law school free -- so knock that LSAT out of the park!

Rotor

Postby Rotor » Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:31 am

hokie6260 wrote:Glad I found this thread! First off, good luck to all those applying this cycle! I will be applying next cycle when I am 36, and deciding to get out of the military. I will be taking the LSAT in June, and hopefully won't need to retake. Married with two kids, but wife has a very stable job and will afford me all the time I need for school...if someone will let me in. I have a pretty strong GPA (3.69), but I've worked on my degree throughout my military career. Hopefully that will not count against me too much.

Cheers.

I agree with NavyKev. Any negative impressions of the non traditional degree (if any whatsoever) will be more than offset by the leadership and experience of service.

Ex Cearulo

Postby Ex Cearulo » Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:24 am

Hi, all. Checking in. I'll be 33 or 34 when I start (depending on the cycle) with a little over a decade of military service. Married w/ 2 kids.

It's great to see all the anecdotes of age not being a factor for employment. My wife's natural reaction is that I'm crazy for even wanting to go and that I'll be laughed out of interviews because of my age. Nice to be able to to show her lots of examples to the contrary.

First question for my fellow geriatrics, particularly those in their late 30s/early 40s when they graduated/will graduate: What are your career goals and do you think they're different now than they would have been if you started back in your mid 20s?

Other question, this time for those with families: Is there anyone with first-hand experience of getting the COL raised to account for having a family? How difficult was it and can you give examples of how much the school increased it? GI Bill will pay for tuition and housing, and I'll hopefully have a bit of supplemental income from a traditional Guard or Reserve job, but COL loans will probably be a necessity.

bretby

Postby bretby » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:18 am

Thought I'd pass this along - a recruiter at Vandy told me that older students with WE that involved research/writing were much more successful at landing clerkships than were younger students with similar/better grades.

Postby 2807 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:03 pm

I could write a long post about life and law school... but I will make it short.

I turned 40 in my 1L year. ( TTT, average student) <---TLS nightmare.

I graduated, passed the CA Bar, and a year after passing the bar I had both my dream jobs in the palm of my hand and just recently had to pick one.
That was an incredible moment.

So, yes, it can be done.

But, I heard NO (or nothing at all) many, many times ... before I heard yes, twice.
It was a long, long, year....

During that year, my career goal changed from a specific goal to... "anything please"

But, in the end, it was my absolute dream that came true.
However, my previous experience played a major part in this.
So, persevere, and play the cards you have.
If you have no cards, be very aware of the costs and what you are getting involved in.
PLENTY of that info here on TLS

Feel free to ask (or PM me) for advice on life in "law-law land" ... aka: law school.

hokie6260

Postby hokie6260 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:21 pm

2807 wrote:I could write a long post about life and law school... but I will make it short.

I graduated, passed the CA Bar, and a year after passing the bar I had both my dream jobs in the palm of my hand and just recently had to pick one.

So, yes, it can be done.

But, I heard NO (or nothing at all) many, many times ... before I heard yes, twice.

During that year, my career goal changed from a specific goal to... "anything please"

If you have no cards, be very aware of the costs and what you are getting involved in.

Feel free to ask (or PM me) for advice on life in "law-law land" ... aka: law school.

Congrats on your success! Very much an inspiration to me as I start this journey! Thanks!

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:24 pm

Ex Cearulo wrote:First question for my fellow geriatrics, particularly those in their late 30s/early 40s when they graduated/will graduate: What are your career goals and do you think they're different now than they would have been if you started back in your mid 20s?

I'm pretty sure that if I'd gone to school in my mid-20s (especially if I'd gone straight out of college), I would have aimed for biglaw and everything that's conventionally "prestigious." I tend to be a conformist and at that time I didn't know enough about myself to know what I would/wouldn't like to do. I doubt I'd have stayed in biglaw/ended up a partner or anything, but I think I would have tried that route. (I also think it would have been a bit more likely/more of an option - I'm pretty sure I would have done better on the LSAT back then; I aced the GRE's old "logic games" section and was in prime "standardized test" mode).

Now I litigate for the feds and I'm very happy not to be working for a firm. I didn't go to a biglaw-feeder school, so it wasn't something that was going to fall in my lap anyway, but I think it was a bit easier to chart my own path more, as an older student. I also think that while being older/having the experience I had pre-law school didn't necessarily make me a better law student/lawyer than anyone else out there, it definitely made me a better law student/lawyer than I would have been if I'd gone K-JD or even in my mid-20s.

haus

Postby haus » Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:56 pm

Ex Cearulo wrote:First question for my fellow geriatrics, particularly those in their late 30s/early 40s when they graduated/will graduate: What are your career goals and do you think they're different now than they would have been if you started back in your mid 20s?

Before dropping out of college I was on an entirely different track. At the time I was studying sports medicine, the concept of studying law was not on my radar screen at all, so it is hard to imagine an alternate scenario.

My side trip into the Corps had quite a few surprises for me, including finding out the my interest in computers could actually lead to a career. Later down the road, the clearances and military background gave me a shot at working on many different gov computer projects, eventually leading to InfoSec.

Before I started my grad work and moving from being an individual contributor to leading teams/projects, I had been convinced that most security problems could/should be resolved by technical solutions. But the last decade as changed my view, I now believe many major issues do not have technical solutions, instead they are issues of contractual or regulatory nature, and in many if not most organizations the communication between the contract procurement teams, the lawyers, and the computer geeks is horrible as few understand what the others are trying to tell them.

My hope is that I will be able to find a way to leverage this education, with my existing background to try to unravel some of these problems in a manner that I cannot do with technical skills alone. With a little bit of luck, I may even be able to make this career change while continuing to work for my current organization.

captainplanet

Postby captainplanet » Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:31 pm

Good luck to everyone applying this year! I'm a current student in Northwestern's Accelerated JD program and I highly recommend the program for older students. It's a 2-year JD program designed for older students with work experience. I am 29 and most of my classmates are in their late 20s and early 30s, with ages ranging from 24 to 40s and 50s.

When I was applying to law school, I worried about being older than the average law student and being in a different stage of life than many of my classmates. I was really glad that I found this program. Most of my classmates have several years of work experience under their belts, helping us approach law school with maturity and perspective. Some are married, some have kids, some have graduate degrees, and many have already found success in previous careers.

Because the program is specifically geared toward students with work experience, we basically skip the 1L summer. Instead, we take the majority of our 1L classes during 1 summer semester, and then join the 2L class and work our second summer. Essentially we're doing 6 semesters of work in 5 semesters over 2 years. The first semester is for AJD students only (typically there are about 28 students in the program), and the remainder of our classes are integrated with the 3-year students.

I'm happy to answer any questions about the AJD program or Northwestern. The AJD application deadline is January 15. For more information: http://www.law.northwestern.edu/academics/degree-programs/jds/ajd/.

navykev

Postby navykev » Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:39 pm

2807 wrote:I could write a long post about life and law school... but I will make it short.

So, yes, it can be done.

Great stuff - thanks for sharing!

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:14 pm

captainplanet wrote:Good luck to everyone applying this year! I'm a current student in Northwestern's Accelerated JD program and I highly recommend the program for older students. It's a 2-year JD program designed for older students with work experience. I am 29 and most of my classmates are in their late 20s and early 30s, with ages ranging from 24 to 40s and 50s.

I think a 2-year JD program is a great option for many folks. I'm glad that captainplanet shared his story here. But I have a different perspective based on my own law school experience.

I went to law school in my mid-30s after a successful professional career in another field. After more than 10 years out of school, it took me awhile to get used to studying for and taking exams. I got mediocre grades my first semester. I did much, much better my second semester, and eventually finished in the top 10% of my class. I ended up with great job options, and I'm very happy where I am. But if I had been on a two-year track, I'm not sure things would have turned out as well. I wouldn't have had as much time to make up for my lousy first semester.

Even when you're in a three-year program, a lot rides on your first set of grades. If you're in a two-year program, I imagine that pressure is even greater. It's something to keep in mind if you're one of those "old school" students who might have some test-taking rust to scrape off.

storpappa

Postby storpappa » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:00 pm

Grats on the success.

It is a lot easier to handle the no's while working on that dream yes as a non-traditional. For some, that no might be their first time dealing with it in life.

Lillet71

Postby Lillet71 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:07 pm

Checking in! Congratulations to all the recent admits :)

I'm 38, married, mother of 3 boys. My youngest boy will start kindergarten this fall, so I thought it would be a great time to go back to school. Law has been an interest of mine for many years, but I wanted to have children while in my 20's more than have a career at that time, so that's what we did! Hopefully I won't be older than all of my professors, lol!

So glad to have found this thread! And many thanks to all the service men and women on this board!!!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”