OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
nygrrrl

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby nygrrrl » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:14 pm

elterrible78 wrote:I had breakfast with Richard Epstein a few weeks ago, and he asked that question at the table. When I told him I was born in 1978, he just asked me what the hell I was doing at law school at my age. He wasn't joking.

Ugh. I hate it when people ask it that way. Luckily, I only had one or two people ask me that (and btw I never told anyone at school my age: I look younger than I am, so I figured letting people assume whatever they wanted was best... :) ) I had one professor who was clearly not happy having a student who was close to his age; otherwise, it was a non-issue.
Does bring up a good point, though: when you're doing OCI or applying for jobs, you WILL get asked about why you went back to school, so having a crisp, on point elevator speech is key.

Rotor

Postby Rotor » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:02 pm

elterrible78 wrote:In Civ Pro early in the year, the instructor (maybe a year or two older than me) was talking about a Supreme Court opinion, and said "Isn't it ironic, don't you think? (pause). A little *too* ironic?"

Crickets. First time in my life I ever felt old.

Holy moly. Hogans' Heroes is one thing, but Alanis?? The 90s weren't that long ago!

sidhesadie

Postby sidhesadie » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:08 pm

elterrible78 wrote:In Civ Pro early in the year, the instructor (maybe a year or two older than me) was talking about a Supreme Court opinion, and said "Isn't it ironic, don't you think? (pause). A little *too* ironic?"

The first time I really felt old in law school was in Con Law, talking about Bush v. Gore , and everyone talking about how they 'definitely remembered' all the hubbub about it because they remembered their parents letting them STAY UP PAST THEIR BEDTIME to watch the election returns come in. Most of them were in 4th or 5th grade.

Not only did I vote in that election, it was not even close to my first one.

sidhesadie

Postby sidhesadie » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:09 pm

Rotor wrote:

Holy moly. Hogans' Heroes is one thing, but Alanis?? The 90s weren't that long ago!

One of my classmates was BORN in 1992. Yes, she was really young for law school (19 as a 1L, she did the college credits all through high school thing, so she only had to do one year of college to get her degree). But regardless, yeah.

cron1834

Postby cron1834 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:39 pm

Hello, ya'll.

Consider this a tag.

RCSOB657

Postby RCSOB657 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:35 am

I'll be 30 in August. Applying this cycle.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:11 am

So it's been a while since I posted here. 2013 grad, 34, married, one kid, currently practicing at a boutique firm. If anyone has any questions, happy to do my best to answer them.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:12 am

welcome RCS!

I'm a recent grad studying for the bar, happy to answer questions.

I know a fair amount about public interest and studying at a local state school while working and having 2 kids.

anon sequitur

Postby anon sequitur » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:34 pm

As someone mentioned a while back, I think that 30+ have no problems at all getting good PI jobs relative to their younger peers. I didn't get that feeling so much for Biglaw jobs, but I think that's because I had a very non-businessy, free spirit background (I had a biglaw interviewer say to me "It looks like you've lived a very interesting life. Do you think you'll be able to adjust to the drudgery of working at a law firm?"). I don't think someone with 10 years of solid business experience would be at a disadvantage.

konoha

Postby konoha » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:14 am

Great thread, new member, read all pages, interested in LS, and happy to be amongst the 'old school'. How's everyone?!

Details about me: late 30s, cs degree, ~12 years software engineering experience, 2 years software patent examiner experience, married with kids, and interested in law school to keep future flexible. I plan on spending the next 9 months studying hard for the LSAT. I look forward to watching this thread grow.

sarahh

Postby sarahh » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:01 pm

anon sequitur wrote:As someone mentioned a while back, I think that 30+ have no problems at all getting good PI jobs relative to their younger peers. I didn't get that feeling so much for Biglaw jobs, but I think that's because I had a very non-businessy, free spirit background (I had a biglaw interviewer say to me "It looks like you've lived a very interesting life. Do you think you'll be able to adjust to the drudgery of working at a law firm?"). I don't think someone with 10 years of solid business experience would be at a disadvantage.

Agree. I took off six years between undergrad and law school. Do not think that the 6 years itself was a problem, but many law firms seemed to have a problem with the fact that I spent those six years working for non-profits. I got asked about it a lot in a negative tone. I think that is one of the reasons I did not do as well at OCI as I was told I would do based on my grades. But I did get a job at a great firm that did not care about my non-profit background.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:33 am

konoha wrote:Great thread, new member, read all pages, interested in LS, and happy to be amongst the 'old school'. How's everyone?!

Details about me: late 30s, cs degree, ~12 years software engineering experience, 2 years software patent examiner experience, married with kids, and interested in law school to keep future flexible. I plan on spending the next 9 months studying hard for the LSAT. I look forward to watching this thread grow.

This thread seriously died for a while. Needs more olds to keep it going for sure.

I wouldn't spend all 9 months studying for the LSAT by the way. You'll just burn out. 6 months part time study at the most.

Honestly, I studied about half the time what TLS recommends and went from a 156 initial PT to a 165 on game day. So don't kill yourself if you don't have to. If you are PTing at or above your target schools' 75th percentile you can probably slack off quite a bit until the month before the exam.

BuddyHoller

Postby BuddyHoller » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:49 am

I have been lurking this thread and meaning to check in. 30, starting law school next month.

Hand

Postby Hand » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:20 pm

Last edited by Hand on Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ookoshi

Postby ookoshi » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:07 pm

konoha wrote:Great thread, new member, read all pages, interested in LS, and happy to be amongst the 'old school'. How's everyone?!

First, take a practice test and get a diagnostic score to find out where you're at. I only spent 3 months studying for the LSAT, but then again my diagnostic was a 167, I studied to get my PT's up to around 173, and then ended up with a 167 on game day, but since I was really only looking at part time programs my LSAT requirements were much lower so a 167 was fine.

In any case, find out how much studying you actually *need* to do before you plan out your cycle.

flat-fifth

Postby flat-fifth » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:07 pm

Late 30's and beginning 1L in 3 weeks. I've been told that shaving my beard makes me look 10 years younger. Definitely going hairless during OCI :roll:

Lying Lawyer

Postby Lying Lawyer » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:59 pm

Finally a thread I can talk to people I have something in common with. I'm a 36 year old male, married with 3 kids. Considering taking the plunge too. I was working on it a few years back but my wife got pregnant so I put it aside as going to school with a newborn was going to be difficult. At the time real estate was slow and I was looking for other paths. I never discovered my passion for law til I started flipping real estate about 10 years back. Shortly after my daughter was born real estate (at least for me) started making a turn for the better and I've been successful every since. However, I still get the itch every time I have to go to court for a Writ of Possession or something like that. I am not going to move my family either. I live in South Florida. U. of Miami is the highest ranked school down here but it's full time. I can't do full time. I have another public university that is local (Florida International) and I maybe consider that one. Talking to other lawyers it's not getting a chance at a firm down here, but rather early on while you prove yourself, other lawyers you work against will make it harder on you. My biggest issue is the thought of working for someone else to gain experience. I know that I could work doing real estate law, foreclosure and a few others and be happy. My biggest issue is just the thought of taking the step back and possibly working for someone else.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:28 pm

Do not go to Florida International.

Find a way to finance Miami. You're welcome in advance.

sbalive

Postby sbalive » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:18 pm

I haven't posted in forever but needed to ask a question over in the employment forum. My one big piece of advice: consider clerking. Age/experience pre-law school may be a barrier for some judges, I don't know -- but it definitely serves as a plus for more than it would be a negative (even at SCOTUS) so definitely do not hesitate to go for it post-law school and do what you need to do during law school (i.e. RA, etc.). It's a bit of a $ hit but you can make that back with the bonus.

Good luck everyone! Law school is a blast and the job is fun too, even if it can definitely be stressful as well.

regulartime

Postby regulartime » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:26 pm

Another old-schooler here. 36 yr old single dad. Taking the LSAT in September and applying that cycle. Currently a teacher. Gotta get out. Decided on teaching instead of law school when I got out of the military. Wanna get into criminal law. Having to stay local or move back to where my family is due to my son. Want to go full time, but unless a full scholarship is in the cards, will have to do part time and teach. Only have 12 months of 100% post 9/11 GI Bill left.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:55 pm

regulartime wrote:Another old-schooler here. 36 yr old single dad. Taking the LSAT in September and applying that cycle. Currently a teacher. Gotta get out. Decided on teaching instead of law school when I got out of the military. Wanna get into criminal law. Having to stay local or move back to where my family is due to my son. Want to go full time, but unless a full scholarship is in the cards, will have to do part time and teach. Only have 12 months of 100% post 9/11 GI Bill left.

Not trying to tell you your business, but you need to think very, very carefully about going to law school. I would not recommend doing so based on what you've said above.

regulartime

Postby regulartime » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:56 pm

kalvano wrote:
regulartime wrote:Another old-schooler here. 36 yr old single dad. Taking the LSAT in September and applying that cycle. Currently a teacher. Gotta get out. Decided on teaching instead of law school when I got out of the military. Wanna get into criminal law. Having to stay local or move back to where my family is due to my son. Want to go full time, but unless a full scholarship is in the cards, will have to do part time and teach. Only have 12 months of 100% post 9/11 GI Bill left.

Not trying to tell you your business, but you need to think very, very carefully about going to law school. I would not recommend doing so based on what you've said above.

I appreciate the advice. What specifically are you referring to? Thanks

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:03 pm

regulartime wrote:
kalvano wrote:

It's hard to say without knowing geographic location, but you'll be looking at not a lot more money for criminal law work than you probably make teaching plus a lot more irregular hours (think 2:30am jail runs to get some drunk out of holding), not to mention 4 years (PT) of essentially working 7:30am until around 9:00pm. As a single parent, you'll be starting over at age 40 in a job with worse hours, less time off, and not a huge increase in pay. That's going to be really rough.

regulartime

Postby regulartime » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:07 pm

kalvano wrote:
regulartime wrote:
kalvano wrote:

It's hard to say without knowing geographic location, but you'll be looking at not a lot more money for criminal law work than you probably make teaching plus a lot more irregular hours (think 2:30am jail runs to get some drunk out of holding), not to mention 4 years (PT) of essentially working 7:30am until around 9:00pm. As a single parent, you'll be starting over at age 40 in a job with worse hours, less time off, and not a huge increase in pay. That's going to be really rough.

Geographic location is St. Louis/ South Western Illinois. You make very good points.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:12 pm

regulartime wrote:Geographic location is St. Louis/ South Western Illinois. You make very good points.

I don't know enough about that market to speak intelligently on the job prospects or schools, but from what I've read on TLS, the market is fairly to moderately depressed. There are quite a number of schools in that area though.

Why do you want to do criminal law? What appeals to you? What do you dislike so much about teaching?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”