OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
rufus&miles
Posts: 124
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:37 pm

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby rufus&miles » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:16 am

nouseforaname123 wrote:[
1. What do you want to do with your law degree and where do you want to practice?

2. Where are you from and what other areas do you have significant ties to?


I want to do patent law and I'd prefer to end up in Boston, but I am not opposed to practicing anywhere and the DC area seems like a great place to be for IP.

My husband and I are both from Massachusetts, so we don't have great ties to any areas outside of MA.

User avatar
Icculus
Posts: 1421
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:02 am

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby Icculus » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:24 am

rufus&miles wrote:
nouseforaname123 wrote:[
1. What do you want to do with your law degree and where do you want to practice?

2. Where are you from and what other areas do you have significant ties to?


I want to do patent law and I'd prefer to end up in Boston, but I am not opposed to practicing anywhere and the DC area seems like a great place to be for IP.

My husband and I are both from Massachusetts, so we don't have great ties to any areas outside of MA.


Honestly, your best bet is to go to school where you want to work, and if you want Boston then BU is the answer (though risky without a pretty decent scholarship).

User avatar
rufus&miles
Posts: 124
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:37 pm

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby rufus&miles » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:30 am

Icculus wrote:
Honestly, your best bet is to go to school where you want to work, and if you want Boston then BU is the answer (though risky without a pretty decent scholarship).


Thanks! That is kind of how I am leaning (of course I am hoping I can negotiate a decent scholarship), but I know my husband can get a job in Boston, or commute to his current job a few hours away if needed, and some how that seems a little less scary than taking a scholarship and hoping he can get a job. I know this is all premature, but I wanted some kind of sanity check.

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby spleenworship » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:18 pm

rufus&miles wrote:
Icculus wrote:
Honestly, your best bet is to go to school where you want to work, and if you want Boston then BU is the answer (though risky without a pretty decent scholarship).


Thanks! That is kind of how I am leaning (of course I am hoping I can negotiate a decent scholarship), but I know my husband can get a job in Boston, or commute to his current job a few hours away if needed, and some how that seems a little less scary than taking a scholarship and hoping he can get a job. I know this is all premature, but I wanted some kind of sanity check.



We ended up not moving to make my wife's job doable for us. Also because my mom is here to give us free child care.

That outweighed going somewhere else for us. Of course, it didn't hurt that this ended up being the second cheapest school for me after schollys added up.

What I would do in your situation is: Add up husband's salary for 3 years (or more, if he has a career/profession that a potential 3 year break would kill). Then add up the scholly money you got over 3 years at a location. Whichever one is bigger, go with that.

nouseforaname123
Posts: 336
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:32 pm

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby nouseforaname123 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:28 pm

spleenworship wrote:
rufus&miles wrote:
Icculus wrote:
Honestly, your best bet is to go to school where you want to work, and if you want Boston then BU is the answer (though risky without a pretty decent scholarship).


Thanks! That is kind of how I am leaning (of course I am hoping I can negotiate a decent scholarship), but I know my husband can get a job in Boston, or commute to his current job a few hours away if needed, and some how that seems a little less scary than taking a scholarship and hoping he can get a job. I know this is all premature, but I wanted some kind of sanity check.



We ended up not moving to make my wife's job doable for us. Also because my mom is here to give us free child care.

That outweighed going somewhere else for us. Of course, it didn't hurt that this ended up being the second cheapest school for me after schollys added up.

What I would do in your situation is: Add up husband's salary for 3 years (or more, if he has a career/profession that a potential 3 year break would kill). Then add up the scholly money you got over 3 years at a location. Whichever one is bigger, go with that.


Nah. It sounds like she's trying to go biglaw and she needs every advantage she can get. She has to consider location as part of the equation. I'm not suggesting she pay full sticker for BU/BC over substantial scholarships at a Midwest T25. Having said that, IUB, even if it costs less, isn't going to be as good for her goals as BU/BC/GW. She also has to factor in her ties to the markets these schools feed.

I'm not sure where the exact tipping point is, but if BU/BC are around $50k more expensive than the other options, I would still take BU/BC (after factoring in financial aid and the husband's job).

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby spleenworship » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:19 pm

nouseforaname123 wrote:
spleenworship wrote:
rufus&miles wrote:
Icculus wrote:
Honestly, your best bet is to go to school where you want to work, and if you want Boston then BU is the answer (though risky without a pretty decent scholarship).


Thanks! That is kind of how I am leaning (of course I am hoping I can negotiate a decent scholarship), but I know my husband can get a job in Boston, or commute to his current job a few hours away if needed, and some how that seems a little less scary than taking a scholarship and hoping he can get a job. I know this is all premature, but I wanted some kind of sanity check.



We ended up not moving to make my wife's job doable for us. Also because my mom is here to give us free child care.

That outweighed going somewhere else for us. Of course, it didn't hurt that this ended up being the second cheapest school for me after schollys added up.

What I would do in your situation is: Add up husband's salary for 3 years (or more, if he has a career/profession that a potential 3 year break would kill). Then add up the scholly money you got over 3 years at a location. Whichever one is bigger, go with that.


Nah. It sounds like she's trying to go biglaw and she needs every advantage she can get. She has to consider location as part of the equation. I'm not suggesting she pay full sticker for BU/BC over substantial scholarships at a Midwest T25. Having said that, IUB, even if it costs less, isn't going to be as good for her goals as BU/BC/GW. She also has to factor in her ties to the markets these schools feed.

I'm not sure where the exact tipping point is, but if BU/BC are around $50k more expensive than the other options, I would still take BU/BC (after factoring in financial aid and the husband's job).



If she is doing IP, then she doesn't have to worry about location quite as much. A good T1 school with patent bar passage is prolly gonna get the job done, IMO. Hell, I'm at a T2 and someone in IP here got a job with an IP firm in Dallas doing biglaw.

nouseforaname123
Posts: 336
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:32 pm

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby nouseforaname123 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:48 pm

spleenworship wrote:
nouseforaname123 wrote:
Nah. It sounds like she's trying to go biglaw and she needs every advantage she can get. She has to consider location as part of the equation. I'm not suggesting she pay full sticker for BU/BC over substantial scholarships at a Midwest T25. Having said that, IUB, even if it costs less, isn't going to be as good for her goals as BU/BC/GW. She also has to factor in her ties to the markets these schools feed.

I'm not sure where the exact tipping point is, but if BU/BC are around $50k more expensive than the other options, I would still take BU/BC (after factoring in financial aid and the husband's job).



If she is doing IP, then she doesn't have to worry about location quite as much. A good T1 school with patent bar passage is prolly gonna get the job done, IMO. Hell, I'm at a T2 and someone in IP here got a job with an IP firm in Dallas doing biglaw.


You're right that she doesn't have to worry about location as much, but she should consider it. IP people do have it easier, but IP is far from a sure thing. Thus, I don't think this comes down to a simple cost analysis. She's from New England and is probably going to be going for biglaw work. I don't know where the tipping point is, but I think BU/BC (and perhaps GW) are worth some extra cost over, say, IUB.

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby spleenworship » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:10 pm

nouseforaname123 wrote:
spleenworship wrote:
nouseforaname123 wrote:
Nah. It sounds like she's trying to go biglaw and she needs every advantage she can get. She has to consider location as part of the equation. I'm not suggesting she pay full sticker for BU/BC over substantial scholarships at a Midwest T25. Having said that, IUB, even if it costs less, isn't going to be as good for her goals as BU/BC/GW. She also has to factor in her ties to the markets these schools feed.

I'm not sure where the exact tipping point is, but if BU/BC are around $50k more expensive than the other options, I would still take BU/BC (after factoring in financial aid and the husband's job).



If she is doing IP, then she doesn't have to worry about location quite as much. A good T1 school with patent bar passage is prolly gonna get the job done, IMO. Hell, I'm at a T2 and someone in IP here got a job with an IP firm in Dallas doing biglaw.


You're right that she doesn't have to worry about location as much, but she should consider it. IP people do have it easier, but IP is far from a sure thing. Thus, I don't think this comes down to a simple cost analysis. She's from New England and is probably going to be going for biglaw work. I don't know where the tipping point is, but I think BU/BC (and perhaps GW) are worth some extra cost over, say, IUB.



Fair enough.

User avatar
Pip42
Posts: 143
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:25 am

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby Pip42 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:08 pm

I was wondering what insight my fellow 30+ folks could give me on my situation. I have been accepted to a number of schools that are between 1.5 - 3 hours away. Does anyone have experience of doing a longish distance weekly commute for law school? What I mean by that is that I would live in the law school city during the week but drive home for the weekends/holidays/breaks etc. I own a home, have a wife and a dog, etc. My wife has a job and would prefer not to move.

Has anyone done this or something similar?

anonstudent
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:26 pm

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby anonstudent » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:32 pm

spleenworship wrote:
bluecouch wrote:
spleenworship wrote:
bluecouch wrote:Just found this thread and checking in! I'm 30, married, and have a toddler. A little nervous about doing 1L with a kid, but I'm really excited to start next year.


Its not as hard as you fear it will be, provided you are willing to lose a little sleep. Welcome and good luck!


Thanks! Good to hear. Definitely used to losing sleep at this point :)



I even did OK when my second arrived at the beginning of spring semester. You just don't let your mind and body tell you what to do and power through it and you'll be OK. I honestly believe it is impossible to be top 5% with kids (no one I know with kids is that high), but top 10% is possible, though unlikely (only 1 person out of 20 or so in my class with kids made top 10%). That said, above median and even top 25% are totally possible even with kids and zero sleep. You just have to manage your time better than the 24 year old lucky ass childless bastards (and jealousy, you have to manage that as well, which I'm not so good at).

I've even maintained top 25% while maintaining a relationship with my kids and wife. It's hard sometimes, but you can do it.

Tabemaju
Posts: 27
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:42 pm

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby Tabemaju » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:58 pm

Resurrecting this thread. I was all set to go this year, but our living plans fell through, and my total debt burden increased about 50k to around 110-120k once I'm done with school and now I don't know what to do. I'll probably put it off another year, like I do every year. There's no way I can make that 100k T4 debt-turd smell good in a mid-market city.

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby spleenworship » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:22 pm

Tabemaju wrote:Resurrecting this thread. I was all set to go this year, but our living plans fell through, and my total debt burden increased about 50k to around 110-120k once I'm done with school and now I don't know what to do. I'll probably put it off another year, like I do every year. There's no way I can make that 100k T4 debt-turd smell good in a mid-market city.


Sorry to hear, but it sounds like you are making a good decision.

Void
Posts: 857
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:56 am

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby Void » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:57 am

<-- 31 year old married 3L, reporting for duty and feeling older than dry shit.

User avatar
danitt
Posts: 1984
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:40 pm

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby danitt » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:59 am

Void wrote:<-- 31 year old married 3L, reporting for duty and feeling older than dry shit.

At least you're a 3L. I'm turning 32 in my first 1L semester. Sometimes I worry that I waited too long.

Void
Posts: 857
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:56 am

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby Void » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:04 am

danitt wrote:
Void wrote:<-- 31 year old married 3L, reporting for duty and feeling older than dry shit.

At least you're a 3L. I'm turning 32 in my first 1L semester. Sometimes I worry that I waited too long.


Nah-you'll be fine. It was a little weird for me being 6-7 years older than my peers. It doesn't sound like much but when I think back to being 23 years old I was such a stupid, different person then. But I made friends with the youngins and dont think too much about it now. In terms of hiring, it's never even come up for me. I think people just sort of assume you're around the same age as everyone else.

User avatar
chem!
Posts: 9380
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:03 pm

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby chem! » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:21 am

danitt wrote:
Void wrote:<-- 31 year old married 3L, reporting for duty and feeling older than dry shit.

At least you're a 3L. I'm turning 32 in my first 1L semester. Sometimes I worry that I waited too long.

You are both infants compared to me. I question my sanity everyday. I won't be surprised if I'm the oldest 1L at SMU.

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 22842
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:36 pm

chem! wrote:
danitt wrote:
Void wrote:<-- 31 year old married 3L, reporting for duty and feeling older than dry shit.

At least you're a 3L. I'm turning 32 in my first 1L semester. Sometimes I worry that I waited too long.

You are both infants compared to me. I question my sanity everyday. I won't be surprised if I'm the oldest 1L at SMU.

I was 39 when I started, and I was the oldest woman in my class (there were 2 guys in their 40s). And my contracts prof kept mixing up me and the second-oldest-woman in the class, even though we looked NOTHING alike. :roll:

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby spleenworship » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:03 pm

chem! wrote:
danitt wrote:
Void wrote:<-- 31 year old married 3L, reporting for duty and feeling older than dry shit.

At least you're a 3L. I'm turning 32 in my first 1L semester. Sometimes I worry that I waited too long.

You are both infants compared to me. I question my sanity everyday. I won't be surprised if I'm the oldest 1L at SMU.



Meh. I have two 50 year old women and a 41 year old woman in my 2L class. Also got a 67 year old man and another in his mid fortys. Several of us are in our 30s as well. While some schools have higher k-JD ratios, I'd be surprised if there wasn't at least one other student aproximately your age.

User avatar
chem!
Posts: 9380
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:03 pm

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby chem! » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:10 pm

spleenworship wrote:
chem! wrote:
danitt wrote:
Void wrote:<-- 31 year old married 3L, reporting for duty and feeling older than dry shit.

At least you're a 3L. I'm turning 32 in my first 1L semester. Sometimes I worry that I waited too long.

You are both infants compared to me. I question my sanity everyday. I won't be surprised if I'm the oldest 1L at SMU.



Meh. I have two 50 year old women and a 41 year old woman in my 2L class. Also got a 67 year old man and another in his mid fortys. Several of us are in our 30s as well. While some schools have higher k-JD ratios, I'd be surprised if there wasn't at least one other student aproximately your age.

I'm hoping for older so I can feel youthful. :lol:

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby spleenworship » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:27 am

chem! wrote:I'm hoping for older so I can feel youthful. :lol:



I saw the pic of you during that one thread. IIRC, you could be mistaken for 29 easily.

rebexness
Posts: 4163
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:24 am

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby rebexness » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:29 am

danitt wrote:
Void wrote:<-- 31 year old married 3L, reporting for duty and feeling older than dry shit.

At least you're a 3L. I'm turning 32 in my first 1L semester. Sometimes I worry that I waited too long.


I turn 30 right before I become a 1L. Luckily I look 23.

User avatar
chem!
Posts: 9380
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:03 pm

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby chem! » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:52 am

spleenworship wrote:
chem! wrote:I'm hoping for older so I can feel youthful. :lol:



I saw the pic of you during that one thread. IIRC, you could be mistaken for 29 easily.

TYTY. We just got home last night from your fair state. If I thought I could get a good job there, I'd move there in a hot second. The appeal of actually having outdoor activities is huge.

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby spleenworship » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:56 pm

chem! wrote:
spleenworship wrote:
chem! wrote:I'm hoping for older so I can feel youthful. :lol:



I saw the pic of you during that one thread. IIRC, you could be mistaken for 29 easily.

TYTY. We just got home last night from your fair state. If I thought I could get a good job there, I'd move there in a hot second. The appeal of actually having outdoor activities is huge.


I'll hire you for my firm after you graduate if you want. I'm planning to make enough to retire 20 years post graduation doing plaintiffs' work. Chem & Spleen, LLC. Attys at Law. :lol:

Think about it!

User avatar
chem!
Posts: 9380
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:03 pm

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby chem! » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:20 pm

spleenworship wrote:
chem! wrote:
spleenworship wrote:
chem! wrote:I'm hoping for older so I can feel youthful. :lol:



I saw the pic of you during that one thread. IIRC, you could be mistaken for 29 easily.

TYTY. We just got home last night from your fair state. If I thought I could get a good job there, I'd move there in a hot second. The appeal of actually having outdoor activities is huge.


I'll hire you for my firm after you graduate if you want. I'm planning to make enough to retire 20 years post graduation doing plaintiffs' work. Chem & Spleen, LLC. Attys at Law. :lol:

Think about it!

The name has a certain je ne sais quoi about it. :mrgreen:

Void
Posts: 857
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:56 am

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby Void » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:54 pm

Chem, Spleen & Void, maybe? :)




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Dodocogon, jjcorvino, Socratease and 2 guests