spleenworship wrote:run26.2 wrote:CAteacherguy wrote:My dream job is to work as an attorney in the Dept. of Ed's Office of Civil Rights. What I'm trying to figure out is which school is going to give me the most viable possibility of making that happen.
I question whether this goal is a viable possibility out of any of the schools you listed. Government jobs are hard to get coming out of any school, and especially hard out of any outside of H/Y/S. You need to be high up in the class. If you simply want any government job, then you open more doors (but it will still be tough!).
So you should think about what your back-up plan would be if you don't get a government job. I.e. would you be happy working in private practice if it weren't "biglaw?" I would suggest that a public interest job is not really a good fallback plan, because those jobs are also pretty hard to get.
Just something to keep in mind.
Disagree with this advice. About 10-15% of my crappy T2 3Ls get's PI jobs, including (but not limited to) DOJ, USAtty, and IRS every year. While the majority is stuff like PD/DA/JAG/Legal Aid, it is totally doable from a crappier school, even ITE.
You would call 10-15% totally doable? I would not. Even if you factor in a few more percent for biglaw and clerkships (say 15% total), that's still a max of 30%. I don't think that's a good bet either.
At my school, people who were in the top 10-15% were not able to get PI jobs in DC that they wanted. In DC, people who are selective w/r/t PI are going to have trouble. To your point about the types of PI people get, PD/DA jobs in DC are going to be very competitive. Maybe the poster can get something that no one else wants to do, but it probably will not pay very well (not that any of these jobs, with the exception of DA, is going to do much to help the poster afford living in DC). And even if some less desirable PI is reasonably obtainable, that supports the point I was making, which is that the poster needs to think about whether these alternatives to her/his "dream job" are ones that she/he is interested in doing.
To return to the poster's particular question about which school would make this option most viable, the truth is that the chances of the poster's dream job happening from even an elite school is very low, and from any of the aforementioned schools, even lower. GULC would probably give the best chance, but still, the odds would be very much against achieving this particular outcome.