OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
qisma

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby qisma » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:37 am

uci2013 wrote:
qisma wrote: But I'm also deeply pragmatic, and I don't want to end up with a crushing debt load. I knew that when I landed my current job, I was going to do everything I could to hold onto it. I make over six figures with bonus, 3 weeks of vacation, all holidays, a week of sick time and generous benefits. I have a great work-life balance (9-5, i can also work from home) and though the company is a bit on the older side, they are good to their employees. Our department has a family feel to it. It's just that I've had this itch inside me to not only do more intellectually stimulating work, but to position myself so that I'd have a graduate degree that I could leverage to boost my earnings potential and transition my career into something better in the future. As much as I love my current job, I know that its a dead-end for me at this point, with no potential to be promoted to a higher title for at least the next 5 years and only COL raises.

I think it would be very hard to give up a 9-5 job with good work-life balance that pays 6 figures. Can you go to law school part-time and keep your job? Given the likelihood of attending a regional school, it might be better to go part-time, see if you like it and if you do well, and go from there. And do you care if you make less than your current job? The odds are stacked against you starting out making more than you make now. And keep in mind that no matter what kind of law you do, the hours will likely be long. We have had lawyers doing all kinds of law come and speak at our school and they all worked long hours, regardless of the pay. Only you can decide what you want. If the challenge and growth potential matter more than the money and the lifestyle, then maybe law school is right for you. But I think most on here would not go to law school if they already had a 6 figure job with a good work-life balance and good benefits.

Thanks for your advice. I think I'm going to go for the prep class this summer and take the LSAT and see how it goes. The part time schools here are TTT, which is another reason I hesitate to apply but if I score high enough, maybe I could consider a better school. But I still don't want to lose my job, so it brings me back to the part time options only. Don't know...

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:15 am

qisma wrote:
uci2013 wrote:
qisma wrote: But I'm also deeply pragmatic, and I don't want to end up with a crushing debt load. I knew that when I landed my current job, I was going to do everything I could to hold onto it. I make over six figures with bonus, 3 weeks of vacation, all holidays, a week of sick time and generous benefits. I have a great work-life balance (9-5, i can also work from home) and though the company is a bit on the older side, they are good to their employees. Our department has a family feel to it. It's just that I've had this itch inside me to not only do more intellectually stimulating work, but to position myself so that I'd have a graduate degree that I could leverage to boost my earnings potential and transition my career into something better in the future. As much as I love my current job, I know that its a dead-end for me at this point, with no potential to be promoted to a higher title for at least the next 5 years and only COL raises.

I think it would be very hard to give up a 9-5 job with good work-life balance that pays 6 figures. Can you go to law school part-time and keep your job? Given the likelihood of attending a regional school, it might be better to go part-time, see if you like it and if you do well, and go from there. And do you care if you make less than your current job? The odds are stacked against you starting out making more than you make now. And keep in mind that no matter what kind of law you do, the hours will likely be long. We have had lawyers doing all kinds of law come and speak at our school and they all worked long hours, regardless of the pay. Only you can decide what you want. If the challenge and growth potential matter more than the money and the lifestyle, then maybe law school is right for you. But I think most on here would not go to law school if they already had a 6 figure job with a good work-life balance and good benefits.

Thanks for your advice. I think I'm going to go for the prep class this summer and take the LSAT and see how it goes. The part time schools here are TTT, which is another reason I hesitate to apply but if I score high enough, maybe I could consider a better school. But I still don't want to lose my job, so it brings me back to the part time options only. Don't know...

Here is a thought as well..... If you get your LSAT high enough and had a good UG GPA then you might be able to get a full scholarship at one of those TTT part time schools.... Then, keep the day job and give LS a shot. Some TTTs do have a potential to get you a good job within the local area..... (I didn't see where you were from so not sure if one of your local schools would or wouldn't be worth the time) Anyway, it would be tough but that would allow you to keep the day job and get the JD without going into debt to do it....

Just a thought....

jim-green

Postby jim-green » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:15 pm

Any over-30s who gave up a full-time job to go to law school and now regret it? Any engineers who feel that way? What are the reasons you regret it? If you prefer, I could PM you.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:24 pm

jim-green wrote:Any over-30s who gave up a full-time job to go to law school and now regret it? Any engineers who feel that way? What are the reasons you regret it? If you prefer, I could PM you.

I gave up a full time job to go to law school. I am so incredibly happy I did. It is hard to not have a paycheck, and to feed my kids with food stamps.... but it is worth it all the same. I am summering right now and I love my new job. And if things work out I could realistically find myself in a job that makes more than double what I made before.

I know you were asking about people who regret it, but I thought I would throw in my 2 cents anyway in case it was helpful.

delusional

Postby delusional » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:00 pm

spleenworship wrote:
jim-green wrote:Any over-30s who gave up a full-time job to go to law school and now regret it? Any engineers who feel that way? What are the reasons you regret it? If you prefer, I could PM you.

I gave up a full time job to go to law school. I am so incredibly happy I did. It is hard to not have a paycheck, and to feed my kids with food stamps.... but it is worth it all the same. I am summering right now and I love my new job. And if things work out I could realistically find myself in a job that makes more than double what I made before.

I know you were asking about people who regret it, but I thought I would throw in my 2 cents anyway in case it was helpful.
I didn't ask the question but... tell us more. Are you concerned that your debt will be unmanageable with kids? Did you have to move to go to school, and did your kids have to adapt to a new place?

jim-green

Postby jim-green » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:16 pm

spleenworship wrote:
I gave up a full time job to go to law school. I am so incredibly happy I did. It is hard to not have a paycheck, and to feed my kids with food stamps.... but it is worth it all the same. I am summering right now and I love my new job. And if things work out I could realistically find myself in a job that makes more than double what I made before. I know you were asking about people who regret it, but I thought I would throw in my 2 cents anyway in case it was helpful.
Thanks so much, this is really helpful!

MissJewsbury

Postby MissJewsbury » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:51 pm

Today, I'm kinda wishing I was young and footloose (again). I am about to turn down a great, great school for a good regional school because I'll be graduating with less than $25k in debt and won't have to move my family. Great, great school would be pushing six figures of debt.

Adult responsibilities like a family and mortgage, concerns about biglaw employment at my age, and knowing how hard it would be to earn and then give back $75,000 are driving me to do the unthinkable: turn down my dream school.

I'm feeling surprisingly calm and relieved by this recent turn of events (regional school increasing scholly).

Who else made this choice? Happy? Regret it?

delusional

Postby delusional » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:00 pm

MissJewsbury wrote:Today, I'm kinda wishing I was young and footloose (again). I am about to turn down a great, great school for a good regional school because I'll be graduating with less than $25k in debt and won't have to move my family. Great, great school would be pushing six figures of debt.

Adult responsibilities like a family and mortgage, concerns about biglaw employment at my age, and knowing how hard it would be to earn and then give back $75,000 are driving me to do the unthinkable: turn down my dream school.

I'm feeling surprisingly calm and relieved by this recent turn of events (regional school increasing scholly).

I went the other way, although, TBF, the choices were TT with 50K debt, T14 w/ 6 figs, and T3 w/ about 20k more than T14. Which is the really great school? Maybe I'll change your mind.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:07 pm

delusional wrote:
MissJewsbury wrote:Today, I'm kinda wishing I was young and footloose (again). I am about to turn down a great, great school for a good regional school because I'll be graduating with less than $25k in debt and won't have to move my family. Great, great school would be pushing six figures of debt.

I went the other way, although, TBF, the choices were TT with 50K debt, T14 w/ 6 figs, and T3 w/ about 20k more than T14. Which is the really great school? Maybe I'll change your mind.

I chose T-14 with $200k+ in debt over full ride at TTTT (rregional Tier1 gave me no $$$, would have been 120k in debt)...now that I have grades I feel better about my decision, but ask me again in October.

relevant: http://abovethelaw.com/2012/06/law-scho ... gh-reward/

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:12 pm

I am using the military GI Bill to pay for school. It will pay 100% at some schools but not all of them.... When I started chasing this midlife change of career thing I only looked at schools where it would pay the full costs. I had some other considerations as well because of my spouse.....

I do not regret those limitations at all and simply set my "dream school" goals within the group that met my specific criteria.... (Criteria, GI Bill pays at 100% and in the greater NYC area.....) I was happy when I got in at my strong #2 choice which was Rutgers Newark and about passed out with joy when I was accepted at Fordham which is my dream school.... NYU and CLS would require me to go into substantial debt regardless of what I scored on an LSAT retake so they were never on the table.....

I am quite happy with my choice.

JC

Hutz_and_Goodman

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:21 pm

I chose a T40 with no debt over a T14 with $125,000+ in debt. I haven't started school yet, but I'm happy with the decision. Living in the town of the T40 (not moving), my wife works here. For me, it was partly due to my age and family circumstances, but I would say primarily due to the fact that various people told me it would be better to have no debt and a good shot at law review/solid grades. A professor at the T14 actually took me aside and said "if I were you I'd go to the T40, have no debt, make law review/graduate at the top of your class, and then you can try for big law or pursue a range of other options." It was a tough decision even with all of this, because of the prestige of the T14 and the scary prospects for most students at the T40.

uci2013

Postby uci2013 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:14 am

Depending on your definition of great, great school - I turned down two T14s and withdrew from the waitlists of others to avoid $160K in debt. And I did it to attend a new unaccredited, arguably regional (but I am not sure it will be in the end) school. And I have a biglaw SA this summer FWIW. Haven't decided between pursuing government work vs taking biglaw if I get an offer, but I feel lucky to have the biglaw opportunity at my age and without $160K in debt. Also - if it means anything, I am not top 5-10%, closer to top 25%, although we don't rank so hard to know exactly. I could be as low as top 40% for all I know.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:18 am

I could probably get in to a number of the T14 but didn't apply because I didn't want to uproot my family.
School choice was always going to be limited by scholarship offers, so I knew from the start I'd be making that decision.
(except if my hail mary to Yale would have worked - some schools you don't turn down)

MissJewsbury

Postby MissJewsbury » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:46 am

Thanks for the responses.

Perhaps I was a little emotional when I said "great, great school" and "my dream school." But, still the school is nationally respected, the best school I applied to, and admittance is difficult. Bottom line, I would love to go there.

A few days ago I was actually withdrawing from TT to go to Dream School when they upped the scholly. I realize that many, many people face this choice: top school with big debt vs. regional with small-0 debt. Thinking that I could graduate with less than $25K makes me think I might actually enjoy (ok, maybe not the best word choice) law school and enjoy my life and family while I'm in school. I mean, the stress of loans was already starting to work on me. I have already taken a huge financial/professional risk once and it didn't play out very well. I survived, but the stress of owing a huge debt + feeling like there are huge forces at work that I could not control nor combat...well, that is a path I do not want to walk again. Of course, that might not be my path at dream school, but it could be.

Thanks again for sharing your stories.

UltraNonTraditional

Postby UltraNonTraditional » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:24 am

I'm closer to 40 than 30, I'll put it like that. :lol: I'm single and I don't have any dependents, so for the most part, my decision might be a little easier to make since I don't have to consider uprooting a family or the financial effects my decision might have on my family. However, I also don't have anyone to share in the burden of loan repayment (not suggesting that those of you who are married will share your financial burdens with your spouses; I'm just saying that for me, it's not even an option).

That said, when I start law school (or the Joint JD/PhD program I hope to do) in 2013, I will have to quit my job. I've heard stories of folks who are earning 6 figure incomes, and I guess that minimizes the effect of my own story since I don't quite make that much, but it's still HUGE to me. And again, I'm single. So there's no one to pay my bills while I'm in school. Not only will I give up nearly $225k in salary while in school, I'll acquire debt, which will just basically SCREW my net worth. LOL. And to boot, when I'm finished, I may not even get a job that pays what I'm making now. So yeah, it's all pretty scary, but not scary enough to deter me. I've never been one to value material things, so as long as I can afford to pay my debt and keep a roof over my head, I'll be happy.

If I regret it, I'll be sure to come back and let you know. LOL.

jim-green

Postby jim-green » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:27 pm

I've been trying to decide on giving up my job and going to law school or not for 2 years now, talking to in-house attorneys, lawyers at firms, professors, friends, relatives in good jobs, and folks on TLS. So today, when I picked up our 3-year-old from pre-school, I asked him, "Do you think I should go to law school?" and he said without hesitation, "No." Taken aback, I asked, "Why not, Jonah?" and he gave me this withering look like I was over-the-hill and said, "It's the weekend, Daddy. Law school's closed."

DocHawkeye

Postby DocHawkeye » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:38 am

jim-green wrote:I've been trying to decide on giving up my job and going to law school or not for 2 years now, talking to in-house attorneys, lawyers at firms, professors, friends, relatives in good jobs, and folks on TLS. So today, when I picked up our 3-year-old from pre-school, I asked him, "Do you think I should go to law school?" and he said without hesitation, "No." Taken aback, I asked, "Why not, Jonah?" and he gave me this withering look like I was over-the-hill and said, "It's the weekend, Daddy. Law school's closed."

Law school NEVER closes. It's summer, I'm not enrolled in classes and I still have homework.

UltraNonTraditional

Postby UltraNonTraditional » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:41 pm

jim-green wrote:I've been trying to decide on giving up my job and going to law school or not for 2 years now, talking to in-house attorneys, lawyers at firms, professors, friends, relatives in good jobs, and folks on TLS. So today, when I picked up our 3-year-old from pre-school, I asked him, "Do you think I should go to law school?" and he said without hesitation, "No." Taken aback, I asked, "Why not, Jonah?" and he gave me this withering look like I was over-the-hill and said, "It's the weekend, Daddy. Law school's closed."

I love Jonah. I think HE should go to law school. Y'know... in a few years...

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:52 pm

delusional wrote:
spleenworship wrote:I gave up a full time job to go to law school. I am so incredibly happy I did. It is hard to not have a paycheck, and to feed my kids with food stamps.... but it is worth it all the same. I am summering right now and I love my new job. And if things work out I could realistically find myself in a job that makes more than double what I made before.

I didn't ask the question but... tell us more. Are you concerned that your debt will be unmanageable with kids? Did you have to move to go to school, and did your kids have to adapt to a new place?

I chose a regional school with in-state tuition and low debt prospects. All the same, in the end, I am looking at 80-90K in total debt. I do worry the debt will burden my family as a whole and hurt my kids' ability to go to college or to good schools or whatever. All the same, if things work out they'll be in a better position, despite the debt. And, God forbid, things don't work out I guess we'll muddle through. So yeah, sometimes that keeps me up at night and gives me panic attacks. But I think it will be OK. I am so much happier now working in a law office this summer than I ever was at my old job that I can't imagine going back voluntarily. As for moving, I got to stay in the same house, thank goodness, so my kids and wife didn't have to adapt. I do have to commute 40 minutes each way though, which kind of blows, but it is worth it for the family.

I went with the regional school with the in-state tuition and a 50% scholly (which I am in danger of losing, BTW). I still think I made the best choice ever for two reasons: 1) my family is better served by this. Moving my kids, and my wife, to a new city with new schools and a new job would have been really bad (not to mention selling the house in the market would be a bitch). More importantly by doing this I probably saved a solid $100K in debt. $100K is over a grand a month in loan payments I avoid- which means I am better able to contribute to my family through savings funds for college or payments on a better house some day. It also allows me to save for our eventual retirement much better. 2) I have found that the regional schools have a better environment after having talked to people at multiple T14s over the past year. Myself and another friend at a state school are both very happy- we like our professors and classmates about 10 times as much as our T14 homies. While every law school is liberally sprinkled with douchebags, it seems like the strong regional schools tend to recieve or attract people who are just a lot more down to earth which is a godsend for us older students.

ETA: this is not to say I wouldn't have taken HYS if I had had the GPA and LSAT for them. Some schools, as mentioned above, you just can't turn down. Haaavaaaad I would probably have shot my mom (in the foot) for.
Last edited by spleenworship on Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jim-green

Postby jim-green » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:57 pm

UltraNonTraditional wrote:
I love Jonah. I think HE should go to law school. Y'know... in a few years...
THANKS! I'll pass this on to my spouse.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:41 pm

Multiple people now have asked about how to go about getting food stamps, or if they likely qualify.

Let me just put this here then:

This is general advice. There are 50 States, and each state (and DC) has their own specific rules about who can apply, who is qualified, and how to apply. However, after talking to others and having gone through my own state's process and compared it to the experiences of those in other states, I have noticed some trends.

First, how to apply- generally your state will have a health and human services, or social services, or some such department website that tells you how and where to apply for medicaid and food stamps and such. These websites also frequently list the qualifications to recieve aid (and some even have little programs that allow you to enter some data and find out anonymously if you qualify). Most states require that you go down in person for an interview to recieve aid. You will have to take birth certificates, social security cards, paycheck stubs, proof of enrollment in school, driver's licenses, etc. (ad nauseum) with you to prove you are "teh poorz." You generally don't have to bring your children (but you do have to bring the above documents for them). Arriving early is better than late for the interview because the really cracked out moms with their neck-tatooed boyfriends are usually passed out until noon, so you are more likely to get seen early. With this economy, however, don't assume that skanks and neck-tatoos are all you will see there. You will also see retirees, men in suits looking for jobs, and upper middle class women who were, until a month ago, sending their kids to private school. In any case expect to be there 1 to 8 hours before you are done.

Second, qualifications- this also varies widely by state. I have noticed that some (but not all) states require that you be working at least part time or actively looking for work in order to recieve assistance. This does not apply to your kids, however, who can get medicaid and food stamps even if you are unemployed provided you otherwise qualify. Most states set the percentage of poverty level you need to be at or under at 125% of the poverty line for your family size, though I have heard of states who set it right at the poverty line, or even lower. State budgets are pretty tight right now. Most states will look at your total assets, including savings and cash on hand, cars, computers jewelry, etc. and expect you to use/sell that first before they will give you assistance. $10-15,000 in assets is probably a soft maximum, FYI. They do NOT count your house in that as an asset. They also subtract what you are spending montly on necessitites such as your house, utilities, and food and do something with your income in their calculations.... I couldn't quite figure out what they were doing, honestly. Finally, I have noted the higher your family size (and the more children) the better your chances of getting assistance are- mostly because it effect the poverty line for you (they count into family size, but obviously aren't working). Oh, and a warning- if your mom or uncle or something is sending a check to you every month to pay for your kid's daycare or whatever that counts as your income (as does child supoort recieved). The social worker advised us to have that check sent by the mother to the day care directly.

One last thing: Please do not allow a sense of shame to stop you from helping your kids out. They deserve to eat something better than ramen, and they deserve to not have you paying for that ramen for 25 years at 8% interest from your grad plus loans. Everyone in here with kids has paid taxes for years to subsidize medicaid and food stamps. And as soon as everyone here is done with law school I know they firmly intend to pay back student loans with interest and pay their taxes and pay back for the food stamps and medicaid help they recieved (hopefully with more taxes since they hopefully went up a tax bracket). This is the kind of help no one should be ashamed of taking- you are helping yourself and your kids have a brighter, more educated future, and you just need a few years of help from the government to do it. So go, get food stamps, and buy your kids some vegetables and get them immunized.

ETA: I forgot to say that retirement accounts are not considered part of your assets. And if you have your parents provide a college account for your kids, and you donate some of your savings to that, then that also won't count against your assets for assistance.

ookoshi

Postby ookoshi » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:48 am

I am 33 and just took the LSAT yesterday (and just joined this forum today). Planning on starting the application process for Fall 2013 soon. I have a UG degree in Computer Science, and I've been working in IT for about 8-9 years total.

I'm making enough money that it doesn't make sense to quit my job (unless something really spectacular comes along, like I manage to get into a T14). More than likely, I'm going to do part time at a in-state T2 school, and graduate without any debt.

Of course, I'll have a better idea in 3 weeks.

Engaged, not married, no kids. That's the only reason I can still get away with this. :)

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:08 pm

ookoshi wrote:I am 33 and just took the LSAT yesterday (and just joined this forum today). Planning on starting the application process for Fall 2013 soon. I have a UG degree in Computer Science, and I've been working in IT for about 8-9 years total.

I'm making enough money that it doesn't make sense to quit my job (unless something really spectacular comes along, like I manage to get into a T14). More than likely, I'm going to do part time at a in-state T2 school, and graduate without any debt.

Of course, I'll have a better idea in 3 weeks.

Engaged, not married, no kids. That's the only reason I can still get away with this. :)

34, married, kids, top 25%. It is doable either way.

Part time sounds like a good idea. All the same, consider just going full time for 3 years and getting it over with. You will have the summers to do legal work, and it will be easier to focus on classes. But, whatever works for you.

Also, consider taking the patent bar. Good, relatively well available work, that pays well in that field. A Master's in CS, a JD, and a patent bar cert and you could be making $200K a year in a few years.

Deevan

Postby Deevan » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:35 am

Can I be provisionally accepted to this thread? I hit the big 30 in Sept. :P

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:09 pm

Deevan wrote:Can I be provisionally accepted to this thread? I hit the big 30 in Sept. :P

Close enough I would guess.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”