OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
weee

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby weee » Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:39 pm

Is anyone else working part time while doing full time law school to support a family or to minimize debt post graduation? I figured it wasn't worth it as a 1L but now that 2L is here and I don't have any major extracurriculars to worry about I have the time to work part time.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:51 pm

weee wrote:Is anyone else working part time while doing full time law school to support a family or to minimize debt post graduation? I figured it wasn't worth it as a 1L but now that 2L is here and I don't have any major extracurriculars to worry about I have the time to work part time.

Keep in mind that the ABA limits full-time law students to 20 hours or less of work per week, and some schools have even lower limits.

I'm sure people do it, but you have to consider whether it's worth it. What kind of part-time job can you get, and would 20 hours/wk there really make that much of a difference? Is the difference worth the possible drop in grades? 20 hours/wk at minimum wage doesn't seem worth it to me, but if you could find something that paid better, it might be.

weee

Postby weee » Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:06 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
weee wrote:Is anyone else working part time while doing full time law school to support a family or to minimize debt post graduation? I figured it wasn't worth it as a 1L but now that 2L is here and I don't have any major extracurriculars to worry about I have the time to work part time.

Keep in mind that the ABA limits full-time law students to 20 hours or less of work per week, and some schools have even lower limits.

I'm sure people do it, but you have to consider whether it's worth it. What kind of part-time job can you get, and would 20 hours/wk there really make that much of a difference? Is the difference worth the possible drop in grades? 20 hours/wk at minimum wage doesn't seem worth it to me, but if you could find something that paid better, it might be.

Library RA job at my school pays roughly $16/hour and several people do it to make pocket cash. That's a good option but other things like working part time in the industry you were in prior to law school as a likely non-trad could conceivably make you a lot more than minimum wage as well.

I think I just found that not having made Law Review and opting not to do moot court my 2L schedule feels open enough to have some time to work. I had the option of working part time at my old job during 1L and opted not to do it even though it was decent money for the reason that you stated of keeping up grades, so I definitely agree with you that there's some countervailing concerns to take into account.

sarahh

Postby sarahh » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:23 pm

delusional wrote:I think that having a family and living away from the campus are an advantage and a disadvantage. It is hard to socialize when you're only there as long as you have work to do, and I find it hard to get back to the area of campus when people are getting together. I think it's most difficult when it comes to the actual work - I see others forming study groups and stuff, but I don't really have the time, nor the social interaction to try it.

I think this describes the experience pretty well. I don't do as much socializing as others, and when I bring my husband to things, he often sits there bored because we are talking about school. No study group for me either. But I think it is more efficient to study by myself anyway. We have not had any problems with the renters so far, but my husband has been having problems finding a job. He got rejected for one job in a field that he has years of experience in, and he has a few interview this week, but they are all for commission-based jobs.

DocHawkeye

Postby DocHawkeye » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:37 pm

I just have to say that I just finished a draft of my closed memo assignment a whole week before it is due. I'm stoked.

Not that this post has anything to do with the content of this thread. That is all...

northwood

Postby northwood » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:39 am

i found that a study group of more than 2 other people is just an inviation to procrastinate and talk... if you keep it to one or maybe 2 other people it can work...

and why for the love of all that is sane must people talk about lawl school when we go out drinking?? id rather talk about something other than that... even for just a few fleeting hours ( and they wonder why i pound my beers and try my earnest to changte it to a fun topic)

mmk33

Postby mmk33 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:59 pm

Hey everyone, so I'm taking the LSAT this saturday. I first took the LSAT in December 2000 (wow), but I ended up not applying to law school and instead getting a PhD, which in many ways was a great and rewarding experience. Now I'm about to sit for my first standardized test in a decade. I've been taking PTs and scoring between 167-174, and I'm hoping to be on the higher end of that spectrum for the actual exam since I'm applying to Duke and UVA. Anyone have any pearls of wisdom for the exam?

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:33 pm

mmk33 wrote:Hey everyone, so I'm taking the LSAT this saturday. I first took the LSAT in December 2000 (wow), but I ended up not applying to law school and instead getting a PhD, which in many ways was a great and rewarding experience. Now I'm about to sit for my first standardized test in a decade. I've been taking PTs and scoring between 167-174, and I'm hoping to be on the higher end of that spectrum for the actual exam since I'm applying to Duke and UVA. Anyone have any pearls of wisdom for the exam?

If you've been PTing under real conditions you should be good to go. Try not to get in your own head on test day, don't give up points worrying about a LG you already finished, etc., Stick to your usual breakfast routine, make sure you trust your directions to the testing center, get there early etc., don't freakout if the desks aren't optimal.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:38 pm

DocHawkeye wrote:I just have to say that I just finished a draft of my closed memo assignment a whole week before it is due. I'm stoked.

Not that this post has anything to do with the content of this thread. That is all...

That is impressive.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:42 pm

mmk33 wrote:Hey everyone, so I'm taking the LSAT this saturday. I first took the LSAT in December 2000 (wow), but I ended up not applying to law school and instead getting a PhD, which in many ways was a great and rewarding experience. Now I'm about to sit for my first standardized test in a decade. I've been taking PTs and scoring between 167-174, and I'm hoping to be on the higher end of that spectrum for the actual exam since I'm applying to Duke and UVA. Anyone have any pearls of wisdom for the exam?

Relax as much as possible. Don't drink too much coffee or water before you go in (I learned this the hard way since we ended up starting almost an hour late at one of my sittings). Don't get hung up on an individual question or section./cliches

One big piece of advice, don't let how you feel when you first walk out of the test dictate if you cancel or not. I almost cancelled a 173, but it was my third test so I didn't have any more attempts, thank goodness.

pkt63

Postby pkt63 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:53 pm

PTs are great. That was all I did in the weeks leading up, such that on the day of, I felt like I was sitting down to do what I had been sitting down to do for the last few weeks. I actually didn't even do a whole PT together, I would just do like 2 analytical sections on one day, 1 games the next, etc. My last PTs ranged from 172-175 and I got a 173, so it still wasn't on the best side, but it was wholly consistent. Also, I sometimes ran close to the time limit on some sections, but this wasn't a problem on the day of at all. The bottom line being, you will probably really do as well as you are doing on the PTs, just keep doing it and coast through it.

Oh wait, when you say PTs, you do mean you are doing actual old LSATs right? Because other ones I did not find helpful, but I swear to god that on the actual LSAT I ran into several questions that were the exact same from questions on old tests, but with slightly different facts and people's names. LIke even the wording was the same.

mmk33

Postby mmk33 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:05 pm

pkt63 wrote:PTs are great. That was all I did in the weeks leading up, such that on the day of, I felt like I was sitting down to do what I had been sitting down to do for the last few weeks. I actually didn't even do a whole PT together, I would just do like 2 analytical sections on one day, 1 games the next, etc. My last PTs ranged from 172-175 and I got a 173, so it still wasn't on the best side, but it was wholly consistent. Also, I sometimes ran close to the time limit on some sections, but this wasn't a problem on the day of at all. The bottom line being, you will probably really do as well as you are doing on the PTs, just keep doing it and coast through it.

Oh wait, when you say PTs, you do mean you are doing actual old LSATs right? Because other ones I did not find helpful, but I swear to god that on the actual LSAT I ran into several questions that were the exact same from questions on old tests, but with slightly different facts and people's names. LIke even the wording was the same.

I've been doing full-length 5 section PTs under test conditions. I've averaged 171 and my last six scores (most recent tests) have been 172, 172, 167, 171, 174, 170. I'm really encouraged to hear what you guys are saying. I'm planning to do done review tomorrow and Thursday, then take Friday off to be fresh from the test. To be honest I feel some pressure because I really want duke or UVA, a lot rides on the LSAT number, the average numbers for accepted applicants is formidable, and it's not clear how much my prior education and teaching might help overall. It's great to hear from those of you who've been though this!

delusional

Postby delusional » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:16 pm

Great OWLS reception the other day at HLS. Was anyone here, um, there?

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:28 am

Icculus wrote:

Relax as much as possible. Don't drink too much coffee or water before you go in (I learned this the hard way since we ended up starting almost an hour late at one of my sittings). Don't get hung up on an individual question or section./cliches

One big piece of advice, don't let how you feel when you first walk out of the test dictate if you cancel or not. I almost cancelled a 173, but it was my third test so I didn't have any more attempts, thank goodness.

Damn, this, this, a million times this. The proctors took forever to get their shit together (it was a large administration center), and having to take time away to pee can be bad. In that vein I'd actually aim for a small testing center if possible.

On a completely separate topic, I can't tell you how glad I am Lawyering (legal writing and such) is ungraded here. Our professor brings us cookies and candy instead of grades, it's really the way to go.

sarahh

Postby sarahh » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:39 am

delusional wrote:Great OWLS reception the other day at HLS. Was anyone here, um, there?

I was there. It was fun, but a lot of people there were not that old. I was hoping to talk to more people about the challenges of being an older student.

Lisi

Postby Lisi » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:19 am

I've formed one study group, which is actually a study pair. We split up some outlining / review work for the stuff we've covered so far in Civ Pro. Other than that, I've been working on my own. I'm not quite sure I see the point of study groups... our homework is just read, read, and read some more. So I read the CB, read the supplements, and have tried to outline a couple of things or do CALI lessons in my "free time." What are people actually doing in study groups????
Oh, I gave up on briefing cases after week 1 of law school.

Sarahh - my boyfriend has tried once to hang out with my classmates, and it felt pretty awkward to me. In fact, I find it's a lot easier to hang out with his colleagues. I guess I'm not really seeing how law school brings people of different ages together. When in school, I can talk to all the median-age-24 y/os, but, when it comes to socializing outside of school, it feels a little odd.

jpal13

Postby jpal13 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:05 pm

I am 30, I am leaving a good job with a future to go to law school, I am also going to have to sell my home and my fiance and I are now going to have to put off getting me pregnant till we figure out where I will go. So.... I am scared. What if this doesn't work. I am doing good but I am in sales and I hate it.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:53 pm

jpal13 wrote:I am 30, I am leaving a good job with a future to go to law school, I am also going to have to sell my home and my fiance and I are now going to have to put off getting me pregnant till we figure out where I will go. So.... I am scared. What if this doesn't work. I am doing good but I am in sales and I hate it.

All you can do as try to find as good and objective advice about your decision, i.e. balancing debt with school rank, etc. You hate your current job, so that's at least a reason to leave it. Is it safe to assume you've talked to some lawyers about what they do and that you think you'll be happy with a career in it. It IS scary, there's nothing you can do to eliminate that and the unknowns that drive it, but you can make smart decisions now to minimize it. Hopefully by now you realize you won't be the only 30+ person there, people have kids in law school every year, you can figure that out too. It can all be fine, just be smart now.

pkt63

Postby pkt63 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:19 pm

I also left a good job, lots o' $$, that I didn't like. I'm not really taking out loans to come here, so that made my decision easier in some ways. Also, we don't want kids, so there's another non-factor. Obviously, no one's situation is just like yours, but leaving a good job you hate to pay for education in an uncertain (at best) economy is not always a terrible thing, as some people may tell you. I LOVE law school. Like, almost every day I just marvel at how happy I am to be here, having this experience, feeling good about the decision I made, and optimistic about how much I will like the actual job I end up with in the future. I can't guarantee the same thing for you, but whatever you choose to do, I do hope you get that same feeling of satisfaction!

oldhippie

Postby oldhippie » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:46 pm

hey all!
just popping in to say that so, far, so good! i'm the second oldest in my class but there are a lot more not fresh out of undergrads than i thought, so it doesn't feel too awkward. i don't relaly socialize with them much, hell, i'm going to sleep when they're getting started, but the upside is i get more sleep than they do:)
i pretty much love law school and i have not really questioned by decision to come. life is a great adventure sometimes:)

best to you all!!

AlexanderSupertramp

Postby AlexanderSupertramp » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:03 pm

jpal13 wrote:I am 30, I am leaving a good job with a future to go to law school, I am also going to have to sell my home and my fiance and I are now going to have to put off getting me pregnant till we figure out where I will go. So.... I am scared. What if this doesn't work. I am doing good but I am in sales and I hate it.

I turned 31 the second week of law school. My house didn't sell so that was a bummer and a major expense of having to pay both rent in the new city and mortgage on my old house until I can get renters in there. My kids were 8, 4, and 2 months old when I started. It was tough and I feel a real disconnect from my younger classmates but I am so happy I decided to go. I love law school also.

sasuke

Postby sasuke » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:24 pm

I'm not 30 yet but I'm non-trad 0L. I've applied to a lot of schools outside of my local area but the thought of picking up and moving across the country is unsettling.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:45 pm

Hey it's finals time fellow oldies...everyone excited? Also, overnighted papers to close on selling our house...finally only 9 months on the market and 4 offers that fell through...

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:59 pm

oldhippie wrote:hey all!
just popping in to say that so, far, so good! i'm the second oldest in my class but there are a lot more not fresh out of undergrads than i thought, so it doesn't feel too awkward. i don't relaly socialize with them much, hell, i'm going to sleep when they're getting started, but the upside is i get more sleep than they do:)
i pretty much love law school and i have not really questioned by decision to come. life is a great adventure sometimes:)

best to you all!!

How did I miss this, until now? Congrats! I pretty much love it, too. Best of luck on exams - I suspect you'll kill 'em. :)

delusional

Postby delusional » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:27 pm

homestyle28 wrote:Hey it's finals time fellow oldies...everyone excited? Also, overnighted papers to close on selling our house...finally only 9 months on the market and 4 offers that fell through...

I think that this is the time that we might be at a disadvantage. I tried to get a leg up by outlining ahead, but I wasn't able to maintain it. So I'm starting almost from scratch and I don't have the discretionary time that everyone else does.

Here's to killing it anyway!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”