OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
northwood

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby northwood » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:15 pm

can we make houses of out cake and flip little people ( circus style) into the cakes from different heights?

firemed

Postby firemed » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:56 am

northwood wrote:can we make houses of out cake and flip little people ( circus style) into the cakes from different heights?

You. I like you.

oldhippie

Postby oldhippie » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:34 am

northwood wrote:can we make houses of out cake and flip little people ( circus style) into the cakes from different heights?

it's like TLC meets angry birds. i love it.

sidhesadie

Postby sidhesadie » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:04 am

This thread is so much better than all the other threads!

oldhippie

Postby oldhippie » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:10 am

oh lord. i need immunization records. my pediatrician is no longer in practice (is he even alive?) and his office doesn't have my records ("must have been before this computer system"). my high school doesn't seem to know i existed ("no, you are not in our computer"). guess i need to try my undergrad next. anyone else have any ideas? this is a bit insane and it's not helping to have people say "WHAT is your year of birth?" sounding shocked. i'm not THAT old!!!

ETA - UF saves the day. they still know i exist and will supposedly fax my records tomorrow :D

Iconoclast

Postby Iconoclast » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:49 am

oldhippie wrote:oh lord. i need immunization records. my pediatrician is no longer in practice (is he even alive?) and his office doesn't have my records ("must have been before this computer system"). my high school doesn't seem to know i existed ("no, you are not in our computer"). guess i need to try my undergrad next. anyone else have any ideas? this is a bit insane and it's not helping to have people say "WHAT is your year of birth?" sounding shocked. i'm not THAT old!!!

ETA - UF saves the day. they still know i exist and will supposedly fax my records tomorrow :D

Glad you got it sorted out. I had a similar problem tracking shot records down, and finally realized it was all in my military health record. Took a copy of it to my doc and he put all the old stuff from that onto a new form along with my more recent ones.

oldhippie

Postby oldhippie » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:10 pm

Iconoclast wrote:
oldhippie wrote:oh lord. i need immunization records. my pediatrician is no longer in practice (is he even alive?) and his office doesn't have my records ("must have been before this computer system"). my high school doesn't seem to know i existed ("no, you are not in our computer"). guess i need to try my undergrad next. anyone else have any ideas? this is a bit insane and it's not helping to have people say "WHAT is your year of birth?" sounding shocked. i'm not THAT old!!!

Glad you got it sorted out. I had a similar problem tracking shot records down, and finally realized it was all in my military health record. Took a copy of it to my doc and he put all the old stuff from that onto a new form along with my more recent ones.

geez, i should have thought of that! but it's all good now...and my record is in a box in a pod somewhere for now....

BLin98

Postby BLin98 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:02 pm

Rules will vary from state to state but you may just be able to object to the injections/immunizations and send in the paperwork and save yourself some time. I.E. The state that I am in allows you to do this with the understanding/agreement that if there is an outbreak I will be barred from attending classes until such time as I obtain the immunizations.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:05 am

BLin98 wrote:Rules will vary from state to state but you may just be able to object to the injections/immunizations and send in the paperwork and save yourself some time. I.E. The state that I am in allows you to do this with the understanding/agreement that if there is an outbreak I will be barred from attending classes until such time as I obtain the immunizations.

I did this at my state ug but not at Penn (they made me obtain the required immunizations and tests, but I suppose it's not a bad thing). I wonder if private institutions can set their own rules?

northwood

Postby northwood » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:14 am

but what if yo uare so old you were around before the immunizations were even necessary ( like you remember the days when the disease didnt exist)? 8)

all joking aside, i think if you shown that you got some part of them, you are allright. but if you are still unclear, contact the admissions dept at your school soon.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:19 am

Many immunizations needs to be updated, and some of the really old ones has since been proven ineffective so you need to get updated ones.

Most of the time school will place a hold after your sign up for first semester classes preventing you to register for 2nd semester. You would have to to get the hold cleared with student health. Just take it seriously when you get the notification. I had to jump through several loops to get everything satisfied and it actually took 3-4 months. I had to satisfy the first few steps, had them temporarily clear the hold so I can register for 2nd semester classes, then had the hold put back on until I finished all the shots (Hep B for example requires 3 shots spanning several months). Added to the complication was the fact that I had my own insurance ...

firemed

Postby firemed » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:36 am

r6_philly wrote:Many immunizations needs to be updated, and some of the really old ones has since been proven ineffective so you need to get updated ones.

Most of the time school will place a hold after your sign up for first semester classes preventing you to register for 2nd semester. You would have to to get the hold cleared with student health. Just take it seriously when you get the notification. I had to jump through several loops to get everything satisfied and it actually took 3-4 months. I had to satisfy the first few steps, had them temporarily clear the hold so I can register for 2nd semester classes, then had the hold put back on until I finished all the shots (Hep B for example requires 3 shots spanning several months). Added to the complication was the fact that I had my own insurance ...

I am so glad I work a job that not only requires immunizations, but more immunizations than are really necessary. Much like the military actually, only they get even more. The records are easily accessable to me, thank gawd.

rupret1

Postby rupret1 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:16 pm

r6_philly wrote:
BLin98 wrote:Rules will vary from state to state but you may just be able to object to the injections/immunizations and send in the paperwork and save yourself some time. I.E. The state that I am in allows you to do this with the understanding/agreement that if there is an outbreak I will be barred from attending classes until such time as I obtain the immunizations.

I did this at my state ug but not at Penn (they made me obtain the required immunizations and tests, but I suppose it's not a bad thing). I wonder if private institutions can set their own rules?

This is what I did. I had the immunizations but my childhood Dr. had gone out of business and no way was I getting 30+ immunizations again. It's all governed by state law and to my understanding private institutions can't set their own rules about immunization exemptions, so you should be good to go unless you are heading to Mississippi or West Virginia (which are the only two states that don't allow you to object to immunizations).

Lawst

Postby Lawst » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:56 am

northwood wrote:but what if yo uare so old you were around before the immunizations were even necessary ( like you remember the days when the disease didnt exist)? 8)

all joking aside, i think if you shown that you got some part of them, you are allright. but if you are still unclear, contact the admissions dept at your school soon.

I had this happen with the Hep B vaccine, which takes three shots over six months - I just realized that I needed it last weekend. I started it this week and they're not going to lock me out over it as long as I follow up. Whew.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:47 am

rupret1 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

This is what I did. I had the immunizations but my childhood Dr. had gone out of business and no way was I getting 30+ immunizations again. It's all governed by state law and to my understanding private institutions can't set their own rules about immunization exemptions, so you should be good to go unless you are heading to Mississippi or West Virginia (which are the only two states that don't allow you to object to immunizations).

Who requires 30+ immunizations? That sounds like a nightmare. New York state requires MMR and something stating you either received or declined a meningococcal vaccine, and that's it.

At any rate, I have no idea how my mother still has my MMR records from a million years ago, but she does. I wish I'd inherited some of those organizational genes - everyday I leave the house forgetting at least one critical item. I have "files" that consist of two banker's boxes of completely unorganized junk ranging from old cellphone bills to tax returns. And I'm effectively denied access to them, because they're so dusty I go into sneezing fits when I open them. Hell I could have those immunization records myself, and not only do I have no idea but I'd never be able to find them.

tibbs1179

Postby tibbs1179 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:20 pm

RE: Having kids while in law school

(NOTE: Please feel free to read only the first paragraph below before offering any advice, if you'd rather not read such a lengthy post).

Hi all. First time posting in this thread. I'm 31 and will be applying to LS for Fall 2012. I have a problem that I am hoping at least some of you, my fellow "more-seasoned" folks, could help me out with. I've seen a lot of the posts in this thread about going to LS while taking care of kids, but what about having kids while in LS? Has anyone done so and can offer advice on making it work or any soothing words that might convince my girlfriend that it's definitely possible to do so?

Here's some background on my situation (again, the basic info is above, so feel free to skip the rest of this post if you'd rather not read something so lengthy). I've been with my girlfriend now for over two years, and we both love each other very much. But this decision of mine to seriously consider LS has really strained our relationship to the point where it may be ending, which I am devastated about. She is 36, and she really wants to have children. The problem is that she is very insecure about having children while I am in LS, should I decide to go. She thinks it will be too much to handle and that she could not cope with the struggle. She has some health issues that she is worried about as well and has concerns about pregnancy possibly making them worse. I've told her that I would always put her and our future kids first, and that if I needed to drop out of LS, I would. But then she'd be worried about me finding a job and being able to take care of her and our potential children if she couldn't work. In other words, she really seems to need stability in her life right now and wants to know that she'd be taken care of should the worst happen (i.e. that I could be the sole breadwinner).

However, I feel that I have no choice at this point in my life but to make a drastic career change. This past January, I was again laid off from my job as a sales executive for a financial software firm. I say "again" because it was the second time it happened in the span of two years. Both times, I was actually glad to get laid off because I hated both jobs. In fact, I was even more miserable in the second job than I was in the first one. I had initially thought after the first job that maybe it was just because of the company, but after working for the second company, I realized that I just didn't fit into the entire industry. Finance and financial technology were things that I just kind of fell into, and I never really intended to pursue a career in either. They were really just a means to an end while I pursued acting jobs in NYC (I studied Econ in college but also minored in Theatre). But as time went on, I found myself being sucked into these jobs more and more until they ate up all of my time and energy. And I hated them. God did I hate them. I also fell out of love with acting. I now want to pursue a career where I can put the accumulated financial and technological knowledge that I have attained in my previous careers to use while doing some good, and I strongly feel that law is the best way to go about that, specifically as a county, state, or federal prosecutor or federal regulator (Dept. of Justice, SEC, FTC, etc.), working on cases involving white collar crime, business fraud, insider trading, and/or the like. I feel very passionately about justice, more passionately than I have ever felt about any career option I have ever considered.

Of course, right now my resume just screams "financial software sales executive." I absolutely cannot go back to that. I would be miserable, no matter how good my home life is. And regardless of that, it's clear that I am not good at it and am not cut out for it (being laid off twice in two years seems to be ample of evidence of that). If I do go back, I'm convinced that the same cycle of working a few months and getting laid off will repeat itself over and over. That's not stable for either me or my girlfriend.

So even if I don't go to LS for some reason, any career change I embark upon will require some kind of school or retraining. But again, my girlfriend has such a strong desire for a stable home life for her to have children. She does have a very good, stable job right now, but even with that she is worried. I am currently drawing unemployment and have enough saved up from my previous jobs so that I would not have to go into debt to pay for LS except for maybe a semester. We could even hire a nanny and still come out with very little debt compared to other LS students. I am trying to convince her that we can make this work, that any struggles we have would be minimal, and that they'd all be worth it in the end. Trading three years of difficulty for a lifetime of happiness seems like a good trade-off to me. But I cannot seem to convince her of this.

We've been going back and forth like this for months now. I don't know what to do. I really want to be with her and have a family with her, but at this point the only way for me to have a good stable career with which to support them is to go to some kind of graduate or professional school that will enable me to get a job in something that I will be good at and that can provide the kind of lifestyle we both want. I'm hoping that maybe if we heard from other people who went through similar circumstances, I could use their stories to convince her that things really won't be that bad; that it IS possible to have children in LS and still be more than okay in the end.

So how about it, TLS? Any stories about having children while you or your significant other were in LS? Any and all advice would be GREATLY appreciated!

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:29 pm

tibbs1179 wrote:RE: Having kids while in law school

I'm not precisely in your situation (for better or worse), but I'm similarly making a career change because it was high time for a change. You make it sound like there will be no security if you stay on you current career path, beyond the fact that it makes you miserable. So for you yourself, the move seems nigh well inevitable.

The question becomes how much security going to law school will provide you and your SO. Have you gotten in somewhere, and will that school "guarantee" you a job (to the extent that any school does)? I mean, if you're enrolling in Stanford, I'd explain to her that you have the entire world at your feet. If you're looking at significantly lower tier school, I'd think this scenario becomes much more complex.

DocHawkeye

Postby DocHawkeye » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:39 pm

ahduth wrote:

I'm not precisely in your situation (for better or worse), but I'm similarly making a career change because it was high time for a change. You make it sound like there will be no security if you stay on you current career path, beyond the fact that it makes you miserable. So for you yourself, the move seems nigh well inevitable.

The question becomes how much security going to law school will provide you and your SO. Have you gotten in somewhere, and will that school "guarantee" you a job (to the extent that any school does)? I mean, if you're enrolling in Stanford, I'd explain to her that you have the entire world at your feet. If you're looking at significantly lower tier school, I'd think this scenario becomes much more complex.

I am in the thick of this very situation. I decided last summer to apply to law school after being laid off from a part-time academic position. I've only ever been able to secure part-time employment in academia and have been living on partial unemployment for a couple of years after working for a short time in insurance. So we decided to take the plunge.

I am also recently married and my wife and I (both in our early 30's) have deided we have a small window in which to have a child. In December, we found out that we were pregnant. We were hoping to concieve earlier so that the baby would be born in the summer. As it stands, the baby is due just after school is set to start in the fall (about the 5th week or so of the semester). I can't really offer much advice but I can offer my empathy. We have dicided to take the plunge and do the best we can. I'll let you know how it turns out.

tibbs1179

Postby tibbs1179 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:40 pm

ahduth wrote:

Thanks for your reply! True, nothing is ever guaranteed. I just took the LSAT for the first time last Monday, so my score will determine where I apply. My dad is a very well-respected lawyer, so if all else fails, while he could not explicitly guarantee me a job, he could definitely give me a significant advantage in finding one. But if I can't get into a school that's at least in the Top 30, I'll have to seriously reconsider even going. I'd even say that Fordham would be my floor level (although CUNY is a strong possibility as well due to my sole interest in public interest law).

tibbs1179

Postby tibbs1179 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:43 pm

DocHawkeye wrote:
ahduth wrote:

I am in the thick of this very situation. I decided last summer to apply to law school after being laid off from a part-time academic position. I've only ever been able to secure part-time employment in academia and have been living on partial unemployment for a couple of years after working for a short time in insurance. So we decided to take the plunge.

I am also recently married and my wife and I (both in our early 30's) have deided we have a small window in which to have a child. In December, we found out that we were pregnant. We were hoping to concieve earlier so that the baby would be born in the summer. As it stands, the baby is due just after school is set to start in the fall (about the 5th week or so of the semester). I can't really offer much advice but I can offer my empathy. We have dicided to take the plunge and do the best we can. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Thanks man. And best of luck! I'm glad your wife decided to take the plunge with you. Unfortunately, my GF may not be as willing.... I don't blame her at all, but I also know that we can make this work. I just wish there was a way to convince her.

Rotor

Postby Rotor » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:45 pm

Tibbs: The key thing seems to me is that regardless of whether it's law school or not, your job situation is going to be a bit chaotic. Law school may actually HELP that by providing a somewhat cookie-cutter approach to the hiring pipeline for graduates, though probabilities at the end of that pipeline vary as others have noted. Plenty of folks deal with kids in LS; one friend of mine has 5. Another commutes 1hr+ each way and has 3. And as for taking care of your wife if she does have complications, I have a friend whose husband is a disabled vet (VA-rating on the disability 100%). One common theme with those friends-- all three women are kicking butt in school, so it can be done.

Obviously, only you can know the personal factors are in your relationship. But don't use a potentially tough situation to scare you from reaching for a brass ring if that's what you really want to do with your life.

tibbs1179

Postby tibbs1179 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:11 pm

Rotor wrote:Tibbs: The key thing seems to me is that regardless of whether it's law school or not, your job situation is going to be a bit chaotic. Law school may actually HELP that by providing a somewhat cookie-cutter approach to the hiring pipeline for graduates, though probabilities at the end of that pipeline vary as others have noted. Plenty of folks deal with kids in LS; one friend of mine has 5. Another commutes 1hr+ each way and has 3. And as for taking care of your wife if she does have complications, I have a friend whose husband is a disabled vet (VA-rating on the disability 100%). One common theme with those friends-- all three women are kicking butt in school, so it can be done.

Obviously, only you can know the personal factors are in your relationship. But don't use a potentially tough situation to scare you from reaching for a brass ring if that's what you really want to do with your life.

Thanks Rotor. I'm not scared of the tough situation, but my GF is. I have told her that LS is probably the LEAST chaotic option for me at this point. I really don't want to lose her, but if she needs me to be absolutely stable right now, then I most likely won't be able to provide that. I just hope I can convince her that it will be worth the short-term difficulties. Cheers.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:10 am

Hi all my 30+ friends. Just got into NU off of the waitlist and am torn. I had kind of gotten used to the idea of waiting one more year and working, but this seems like something I cannot pass up. The nerves are really starting to set in.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:10 am

Hi all my 30+ friends. Just got into NU off of the waitlist and am torn. I had kind of gotten used to the idea of waiting one more year and working, but this seems like something I cannot pass up. The nerves are really starting to set in.

sidhesadie

Postby sidhesadie » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:30 am

tibbs1179 wrote:
DocHawkeye wrote:
ahduth wrote:

Thanks man. And best of luck! I'm glad your wife decided to take the plunge with you. Unfortunately, my GF may not be as willing.... I don't blame her at all, but I also know that we can make this work. I just wish there was a way to convince her.

You haven't really said what your girlfriend wants you to do (other than not go to law school).

As a parent, I can tell you that it takes a really, really long time to raise kids. LOL. In some ways it goes by fast, but at the same time, when you wake up and can't believe they're 18, you also will be in disbelief that you're 50. Where did it go? My point here is that if what your girlfriend really wants is for you to continue with a job that makes you miserable so that she can feel 'safe' when you have the means and opportunity to do something different, and if she's really that insecure about the idea of pregnancy and child rearing...well...I would just think really carefully about the next 20 years of your life. Kids make you scared like you've never been scared before (are they safe? will anything happen to them?) They get hurt with alarming frequency if you're not used to being around kids. They are expensive, something is always coming up to do/pay for. There's always something they need for school they didn't tell you until the last minute.

I don't say this to discourage you from having kids, lol, but rather just to really think about your girlfriend's personality and whether she's going to be a steady, strong mother for your children. You're very worried about what you can be for her, and that's sweet and shows your good character, but there's more to consider than just that. Law school with having kids is TOTALLY doable (I know a number of women who were the law students themselves who had babies in 2L or 3L) but whether it's totally doable with HER? I don't know about that.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”