OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
rupret1

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby rupret1 » Fri May 13, 2011 1:37 pm

I'm just finding this thread, but it's nice to see some folks in my shoes voicing the same things I'm feeling! I'm excited one day, scared shitless the next, but I know this is never going to happen if I don't just do it.

I'm giving up a 10 year career as a corporate controller and the stability (and income) that comes with it. My employer thinks I'm crazy. Most of my friends think I'm crazy. Hell, sometimes I even think I'm crazy. However, I know I've wanted to do this for as long as I can remember, and I also know that I'm not getting any younger.

Complicating my situation are 3 children who don't want to leave their friends and a spouse that is going to be making some extreme sacrifices (probably the extent of which he doesn't realize or he might never have agreed to this...).

One good thing is that we have sold our home, which was a giant concern starting this process. Now we have to find short term housing while I finish up the fiscal year here at work, which has added another layer of stress. One step at a time, I guess.

Glad to have found you guys!

delusional

Postby delusional » Fri May 13, 2011 2:18 pm

ArghItsBlarg wrote:Man. Today is my last day of work. After today, I will (hopefully) never be a legal assistant again, and it will end 10 years of solid, full-time employment. Weird, weird day.

Congratulations! Good luck!

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Fri May 13, 2011 3:35 pm

rupret1 wrote:I'm just finding this thread, but it's nice to see some folks in my shoes voicing the same things I'm feeling! I'm excited one day, scared shitless the next, but I know this is never going to happen if I don't just do it.

I'm giving up a 10 year career as a corporate controller and the stability (and income) that comes with it. My employer thinks I'm crazy. Most of my friends think I'm crazy. Hell, sometimes I even think I'm crazy. However, I know I've wanted to do this for as long as I can remember, and I also know that I'm not getting any younger.

Complicating my situation are 3 children who don't want to leave their friends and a spouse that is going to be making some extreme sacrifices (probably the extent of which he doesn't realize or he might never have agreed to this...).

One good thing is that we have sold our home, which was a giant concern starting this process. Now we have to find short term housing while I finish up the fiscal year here at work, which has added another layer of stress. One step at a time, I guess.

Woot! Go team controllership. I never came anywhere near being the controller, but I worked a couple different controllership jobs in a big corporation for awhile. I'm hoping my understanding of the internal mechanics of corporations assists me in my legal career.

sbalive

Postby sbalive » Fri May 13, 2011 7:54 pm

Great to visit this thread and see it alive and well. Just finished 2L and heading out to my BigLaw SA soon. 8) Can't believe there's only 1 year left! :shock:

You guys are going to have such a blast. There are ups and downs... but the most important advice I can think of giving is --

(1) Don't take things too seriously. You're all experienced enough to know that minor ups and downs in school don't have a lifetime impact, and there's no mistake that can't be compensated for over time.

(2) Indeed, do feel free to make mistakes and learn from them. You don't have to know everything anymore -- you're starting from scratch in a new field, and when you start from scratch, you get to mess up all over again. This is a privilege; while you're at law school & working as an intern, you should embrace the chance to change the way you work and think in a way that you never can during the course of an actual career.

(3) On the one hand, don't lose yourself and feel like you have to get caught up in everything you have to do in law school (moot courts are essential! law review is essential! if you don't apply to X you will never get Y!). But, at the same time, do always feel like you can do any of these things -- you're never too old to clerk, to to mock interview, sign up to RA, or to write on to law review, go to bar review, or participate in law revue.

Have fun!!

firemed

Postby firemed » Sun May 15, 2011 10:52 am

sbalive wrote:Great to visit this thread and see it alive and well. Just finished 2L and heading out to my BigLaw SA soon. 8) Can't believe there's only 1 year left! :shock:

You guys are going to have such a blast. There are ups and downs... but the most important advice I can think of giving is --

(1) Don't take things too seriously. You're all experienced enough to know that minor ups and downs in school don't have a lifetime impact, and there's no mistake that can't be compensated for over time.

(2) Indeed, do feel free to make mistakes and learn from them. You don't have to know everything anymore -- you're starting from scratch in a new field, and when you start from scratch, you get to mess up all over again. This is a privilege; while you're at law school & working as an intern, you should embrace the chance to change the way you work and think in a way that you never can during the course of an actual career.

(3) On the one hand, don't lose yourself and feel like you have to get caught up in everything you have to do in law school (moot courts are essential! law review is essential! if you don't apply to X you will never get Y!). But, at the same time, do always feel like you can do any of these things -- you're never too old to clerk, to to mock interview, sign up to RA, or to write on to law review, go to bar review, or participate in law revue.

Have fun!!

Thanks sbalive, nice to hear some advice from somone who has done what we are about to do.

Lawst

Postby Lawst » Sun May 15, 2011 11:05 am

sbalive wrote:(2) Indeed, do feel free to make mistakes and learn from them. You don't have to know everything anymore -- you're starting from scratch in a new field, and when you start from scratch, you get to mess up all over again. This is a privilege; while you're at law school & working as an intern, you should embrace the chance to change the way you work and think in a way that you never can during the course of an actual career.

Thank you - I hadn't even thought about this and it's so true. You've saved me from at least one major panic/meltdown in my first semester.

Lawst

Postby Lawst » Sun May 15, 2011 11:16 am

rupret1 wrote:I'm just finding this thread, but it's nice to see some folks in my shoes voicing the same things I'm feeling! I'm excited one day, scared shitless the next, but I know this is never going to happen if I don't just do it.

Good luck! I know what you mean. I remember springing this on my parents back when I signed up for the LSAT a year ago and I braced for their reaction. They were really supportive and I was pleasantly surprised. Then about a month later, they called back and were like "Uh, you're still keeping your job, though, right?" Haha. Oops.
I've been with the same company for 12 years, so it's a big leap into the unknown, but I'm as ready as I can be. Most of my co-workers don't know yet that I'm leaving, so their reaction will be, uh, interesting, I'm sure.

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Sun May 15, 2011 11:51 am

sbalive wrote:Great to visit this thread and see it alive and well. Just finished 2L and heading out to my BigLaw SA soon. 8) Can't believe there's only 1 year left! :shock:

Have fun!!

ALL of what he said, especially the bolded! In 36 hours I'll be done with 1L and I agree with sbalive on all of this. What a great post. :D

oldhippie

Postby oldhippie » Mon May 16, 2011 8:15 am

nygrrrl wrote:

Have fun!!

ALL of what he said, especially the bolded! In 36 hours I'll be done with 1L and I agree with sbalive on all of this. What a great post. :D

thanks, both of you, for reminding us of what we already know but needed to remember!! i'm getting psyched for this next journey!!! and i'll be unemployed in 45 days :shock:

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Mon May 16, 2011 9:16 am

B/c I know my fellow older peeps will appreciate this: our home is in contract! Woot!

oldhippie

Postby oldhippie » Mon May 16, 2011 9:22 am

homestyle28 wrote:B/c I know my fellow older peeps will appreciate this: our home is in contract! Woot!

congrats!!!!! that is huge!

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Mon May 16, 2011 9:37 am

oldhippie wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:B/c I know my fellow older peeps will appreciate this: our home is in contract! Woot!

congrats!!!!! that is huge!

yeah, we're excited...not too many more obstacles to clear before the move!

northwood

Postby northwood » Mon May 16, 2011 10:01 am

Congrats Homes!

Rotor

Postby Rotor » Mon May 16, 2011 10:29 am

Congrats! I have an idea of your excitement. We just accepted an offer on my mother in law's house in rural NH (moving to assisted care; aging parents another thing some of us older folks have to deal with). Thought we'd never find anyone for that place. Crossing fingers it doesn't fall through.

Again CONGRATS!

rupret1

Postby rupret1 » Mon May 16, 2011 11:10 am

Lawst wrote:

Good luck! I know what you mean. I remember springing this on my parents back when I signed up for the LSAT a year ago and I braced for their reaction. They were really supportive and I was pleasantly surprised. Then about a month later, they called back and were like "Uh, you're still keeping your job, though, right?" Haha. Oops.
I've been with the same company for 12 years, so it's a big leap into the unknown, but I'm as ready as I can be. Most of my co-workers don't know yet that I'm leaving, so their reaction will be, uh, interesting, I'm sure.

Good luck to you, too! I ended up telling my company pretty early because I knew they wouldn't try to ease me out, and I also knew it was going to take a while to find and train my replacement. The corporation I work for is fully owned by a family, and they have been supportive but the wife keeps crying asking me not to leave which is almost worse than if they had been terrible to me about it. "If it doesn't work out with law school, you can always keep your position here..." :(

rupret1

Postby rupret1 » Mon May 16, 2011 11:11 am

Congrats! We are going through the same process. This is our first time selling a house and it's been more of a headache than I anticipated. Packing up and moving when you are having to pay for it yourself instead of a your company doing it is a bit of an adjustment. I guess it's time to get used to being poor again.

northwood

Postby northwood » Mon May 16, 2011 11:13 am

Rupret- take the fact that the company values you and while they want yo uto be happy, at least you know you have a back up plan if down the road you decide to change your mind. that peace of mind is very valuable

oldhippie

Postby oldhippie » Mon May 16, 2011 11:23 am

northwood wrote:Rupret- take the fact that the company values you and while they want yo uto be happy, at least you know you have a back up plan if down the road you decide to change your mind. that peace of mind is very valuable

no doubt!!
i'm also lucky enough to have an amazing boss who i told about this almost 2 years ago but who has told me many times that if i ever change my mind and want mu job back, she'll make it happen. feels REALLY good to have that backup, although i think i'd rather so almost anything other than come back...

northwood

Postby northwood » Mon May 16, 2011 11:34 am

anyone else second quessing themselves for going to a state thats not as close to where they currently are? I dindt realize how big of a pain it is to go visit apartments in my new city- and i turned down a school ( for around the same price) that is closer to my current location where I could easily go look and come back ( its only a hour and a half drive, as opposed to a 4 hour drive to the school i deposited at). I know once i get this done- and i have blocked enough time to allow myself to move and explore so I wont be totally lost when school starts, but its really a thorn in my side ( especially since my job is weather dependant, and with all of the rain weve been getting, ive been forced to work weekends, and my weekends become rain days- so its hard to forcast when ill have time off). Its also the beginning of our peak time- and were getting really backlogged so time off is going to be difficult to get ( they know Im leaving in august, but need me to stay and train and run the show, and consequently wont give me time off, bc other than my bosses no one is getting any time off, except for emeregencies- if you no show you no longer work there unless you are going to the hospital, are getting married that day- and no one is, or have a family emergency).

end rant. at least i know why i hate my job so much. Being weather dependant is so frustrating at times

oldhippie

Postby oldhippie » Mon May 16, 2011 11:38 am

it is a COMPLETE pain to look for housing from far away. i had a minor breakdown when we were visiting CO and the house we wanted that was available suddenly became unavailable - this after weeks of looking and a 3 day visit to see them in person and sign a lease. we got oh so lucky that the property manager took pity on me and gave us the first shot at the house, lease is signed and we're ready to go. but i feel your pain. for me, though, a main motivator in this whole process is to get away from where i am now and start a new chapter, so it's totally worth the angst (i say this now that we found a place, now sure i could have said it a couple months ago)...
good luck, something will work out and the sun will come out tomorrow :wink: :mrgreen:

northwood

Postby northwood » Mon May 16, 2011 11:44 am

thanks hippie. the sun always comes out ( sometimes its just hidden by clouds and rain). Its just a pain, but alas the pain is temporary and once i get the lease signed, ill be good to go.

But one plus is that since im moving far away- i dont have to worry about lugging heavy furniture. My bedroom set is both heavy and broken( the drawers dont shut all of the way) so its staying at my rents house- and when i get a new one, the poor saps at the furniture store will have to lug it into the apt. Note to self, I will make sure to get a light piece, as moving heavy stuff sucks.

totally ready to start a new chapter

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Mon May 16, 2011 12:33 pm

rupret1 wrote:

Congrats! We are going through the same process. This is our first time selling a house and it's been more of a headache than I anticipated. Packing up and moving when you are having to pay for it yourself instead of a your company doing it is a bit of an adjustment. I guess it's time to get used to being poor again.

Home selling has been SOOOO much more complicated/emotional than home buying. I knew it wasn't going to be fun, but sheesh.

firemed

Postby firemed » Mon May 16, 2011 8:35 pm

homestyle28 wrote:
rupret1 wrote:

Home selling has been SOOOO much more complicated/emotional than home buying. I knew it wasn't going to be fun, but sheesh.

I hear you.

Presently in the process of refinancing the house. Cleaning so the appraiser doesn't burn it down and tell me to call the insurance company.

This blows.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon May 16, 2011 8:37 pm

firemed wrote:Presently in the process of refinancing the house. Cleaning so the appraiser doesn't burn it down and tell me to call the insurance company.

This blows.

That may be the easier route in this market. I am keeping my house regardless. I think I am going to try to sell it in 5 years and make some money then.

firemed

Postby firemed » Mon May 16, 2011 9:24 pm

r6_philly wrote:
firemed wrote:Presently in the process of refinancing the house. Cleaning so the appraiser doesn't burn it down and tell me to call the insurance company.

This blows.

That may be the easier route in this market. I am keeping my house regardless. I think I am going to try to sell it in 5 years and make some money then.

Yeah. Hopefully it will be better in 5 years. If my house can simply appreciate equal to inflation for the next 5 years I can make 50K off it. A good down payment and 10K for the kid's college fund.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”