OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby r6_philly » Mon May 02, 2011 5:13 pm

ahduth wrote:
northwood wrote:anyone else getting cold feet? im all set to go- got everything in order- but while i hate my current job and career outlook- the idea of going into debt and not working for at least a year is daunting. especially since ive been out of school for a while.


Naw. I'm ready to kill it. I'd like to start today.


I second this sentiment. I think cramming a master's in a year is a good preparation for law school, now I am fully in the swing of things (at the same school no less).

I will keep working though (just less), despite the young'uns calling me stupid.
Last edited by r6_philly on Mon May 02, 2011 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sidhesadie
Posts: 454
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby sidhesadie » Mon May 02, 2011 5:17 pm

I'm terrified about the cost. And the possibility of ending up in three years without significantly better job prospects but a whole lot more debt. I think we'd be insane if at our age we didn't at least think about it (at least for those of us with a spouse or kids) You don't just make decisions for yourself anymore. I would be WAY less scared if I didn't have a kid. I'd probably make different choices without a child or SO to consider, as well.

However, I have started businesses before and if I have to do it again, so be it. I'm prepared for the possibility of going solo practitioner (or doing an office share type deal). My ex husband (an attorney) started his own firm while we were married, I saw what worked and what didn't. He's still doing well, even through the recession while a lot of the people with the 'safe' firm jobs got laid off. I think age (and the accompanying experience both in life and in business) is an advantage as much as it can be a disadvantage.

sarahh
Posts: 610
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:36 pm

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby sarahh » Mon May 02, 2011 5:52 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
northwood wrote:anyone else getting cold feet? im all set to go- got everything in order- but while i hate my current job and career outlook- the idea of going into debt and not working for at least a year is daunting. especially since ive been out of school for a while.


Every time I pay my mortgage+HOA, I think about how screwed I'll be if I can't find a renter for my condo and I get a sick feeling in my stomach. I'd sell it in an instant if I could, but a couple of foreclosure/auctions in the complex have recently sold for about 60% of what I paid for it.


Me too. But someone put up a for rent sign a few weeks ago and it was down within a week. That made me feel better. I am so glad we bought a place two blocks from the commuter train. The landlord book I have been reading has me a bit scared, though. One gem: a landlord is required to provide a tub and clothesline for a mentally ill tenant whose anxiety about machines makes him unable to use the washer and dryer.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby kalvano » Mon May 02, 2011 6:26 pm

northwood wrote:anyone else getting cold feet? im all set to go- got everything in order- but while i hate my current job and career outlook- the idea of going into debt and not working for at least a year is daunting. especially since ive been out of school for a while.



Almost done with my first year. Totally worth it.

firemed
Posts: 1195
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:36 pm

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby firemed » Mon May 02, 2011 6:28 pm

I want to get there.

I am the same way about tests, fires, fights, what have you. Waiting for it to start is profoundly anxiety provoking. Just unbearable.

One the shit gets real though... then I can relax and just fight my hardest until I see it through.

Hurry up August.

User avatar
er doctor
Posts: 290
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:35 am

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby er doctor » Mon May 02, 2011 8:34 pm

firemed wrote:I want to get there.

I am the same way about tests, fires, fights, what have you. Waiting for it to start is profoundly anxiety provoking. Just unbearable.

One the shit gets real though... then I can relax and just fight my hardest until I see it through.

Hurry up August.


this

User avatar
oldhippie
Posts: 538
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:41 pm

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby oldhippie » Tue May 03, 2011 7:44 am

er doctor wrote:
firemed wrote:I want to get there.

I am the same way about tests, fires, fights, what have you. Waiting for it to start is profoundly anxiety provoking. Just unbearable.

One the shit gets real though... then I can relax and just fight my hardest until I see it through.

Hurry up August.


this

absofreakinglutely this.
BRING IT ON.

ArghItsBlarg
Posts: 204
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:21 pm

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby ArghItsBlarg » Tue May 03, 2011 5:36 pm

I start my accelerated classes in less than two weeks. Excitement is mounting.

firemed
Posts: 1195
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:36 pm

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby firemed » Tue May 03, 2011 9:05 pm

ArghItsBlarg wrote:I start my accelerated classes in less than two weeks. Excitement is mounting.



YAY!!!

delusional
Posts: 1190
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby delusional » Thu May 12, 2011 7:32 pm

I hope it's okay if I use this thread to rant a little. I'm getting fed up with law school and it's 0L May. I made my decision a few weeks back, and it's been such a drain - it seems like every option carries with it so much weight. Do I prestige-whore and uproot my family? Commute to a closer (but still far) school, allowing everything to remain stable in exchange for a few US News rungs? So I harassed one school to up their offer, another to answer me faster. I felt like a jerk to them, and the horse trading took a toll on me, but I figured that once I decided, things would become more clear.

And I decided. But the decision really didn't make it easier. Now I'm back to the same grind - working all day and trying to find the time to navigate housing, insurance, schools, etc. in a city that's a plane ride away. And they need ANOTHER copy of my undergraduate transcripts and my medical records, and I suck at red tape. I am trying not to be self centered; it freaking drives me insane when people say things like, boo hoo, my BMW got scratched. I know I'm fortunate to be in the position I am - flexible enough (although barely), grounded enough to make it work, surrounded by mostly supportive family.

My daughter is not thrilled about moving, although my wife was wise enough to lay the groundwork (we visited a friend of a friend who lived near the school, and she befriended the girl next door, before we even decided to move.) I'm looking to rent out my condo, which, as we've discussed ITT would otherwise involve taking a big loss, and frankly, would result in us burning through the money during law school. Wife and I are going to need to continue working until like August 15 to keep us fed, clothed, and insured, and then we will need to enlist neighbors, friends, and relatives to load up a UHaul which I will then unload myself; beds, bookcases, sofas and all - a couple days before orientation. Forget LEEWS and GTM; I'll be lucky if I know what books I'll need for class. And that is when I expect the real difficulties to start. I was prepared to work hard, but seriously, Arrow, Xeoh and MegaTTTron? With a wife and kids, while my bones are aching from moving an entire three bedroom house? I know I'm doing this in pursuit of more security and a better life, but it's getting harder and harder, and the payoff, hell, the investment even, seems to be getting further and further away. Oh well. Back to your regularly programmed cynicism and snark.

User avatar
Lawst
Posts: 504
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:02 am

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby Lawst » Thu May 12, 2011 8:36 pm

Eh, rants are normal. I don't have a spouse or kids, but I'm starting to get a little freaked out. Except for the few months after undergrad, I've been employed my whole life since age 14, and I'm about to turn 38. I've had health insurance my whole life. I am doing well in my current career and am leaving the job I've had for 12 years. I will almost certainly take a pay cut to practice PI law - if I can get a job - and then there's debt. Sure, if I keep my scholarship, I should be able to stay just under six figures when the cost of living, etc. adds up. But 90K in debt is not nothing, either. Also, will I be able to do OK coming out of Tier 2 in a saturated market?
What it comes down to is this: I've always harbored this desire to go to law school and it's never left me. I think it will be rewarding if I'm able to stay above the negativity and doubts and remember why I wanted to do this in the first place, to help people. The truth is that no one really knows what it's like to be a lawyer until you are one. So, it's a risk. But if you want to grow as a person, you have to take risks.
The good thing for us older students is that we know that life goes on, no matter what happens in school or work or wherever. Things work out. Grades are important, but not everything. I'm glad that I'm not doing this at 22. I don't think I would handle it so well.
Now let's kick some ass out there come August. :twisted:

User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby northwood » Thu May 12, 2011 9:58 pm

Rants are normal and healthy. This is a huge undertaking that is full of uncertainty. Add a family to look out for- and the risk and stress levels rise to the upper stratosphere of the planet Pluto ( Pluto was a planet when I went to school and in my mind it will always be a planet). I would say if you werent nervous and didnt re think this for a bit- then you should be worried, but if you are nervous and you did re think this- and it still made sense to you then you are fine. Its hard, especially leaving a job and career where you are valued and konw, and have a well established routine. The past few days Ive been thinking about how nice it is to have a routine- knowing full well that in 3 short months I will have to establish a new routine in a new city- and be around total strangers, when I have been working with the same people for a long time. Thats the beauty and the beast of this- you have to give up your routine, and your families routine to pursue this adventure. I think this is where being older is an advantage- as you know that your life will be flipped upside down, and in 3 short years will be flipped upside down again. You also know how to roll with lifes unexpectedness and respond to this- and no matter what you have done, you have a unique skill set- and knoweldge base that will help you be a great lawyer. Sure it may have nothing to do with law, but by being a bit older, and being outside the academic bubble- you have that perspective. This will help when you need it the most- because knowing that things rarely go as planned will help you respond and persevere through those unplesent times.

User avatar
nygrrrl
Posts: 4948
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:01 am

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby nygrrrl » Thu May 12, 2011 10:01 pm

kalvano wrote:Almost done with my first year. Totally worth it.


THIS.
Fucking THIS.

(And congrats, Kalvano! SO CLOSE... delusional? forget about following the Arrows of this site - you'll find your own way to do it. Take bits from their strategies, let the rest go. I made a decision early on in this process to ENJOY it, even if it meant not being top 25%. Law school is wicked hard and TOTALLY worth it.)

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby r6_philly » Thu May 12, 2011 10:03 pm

I tried to get my ducks in a role and do some research while I still have plenty of time, and the school told me to relax and wait for September. I guess I am set to be a gunner.

User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby northwood » Thu May 12, 2011 10:10 pm

r6_philly wrote:I tried to get my ducks in a role and do some research while I still have plenty of time, and the school told me to relax and wait for September. I guess I am set to be a gunner.



gunners are TTT. Aim to be a sniper- you know the one who looks like they arent paying attention- but really is, the one who gives vague answers- but read each case- the one who doesnt fret too much about the exams and ends up booking them. Be friendly wiht your peers- then quietly shoot down their boasts of greatness and dreams of being number 1.

Just remember after you get your tests back yell Yall been Sniped!

User avatar
Lawst
Posts: 504
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:02 am

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby Lawst » Thu May 12, 2011 11:26 pm

northwood wrote:Rants are normal and healthy. This is a huge undertaking that is full of uncertainty. Add a family to look out for- and the risk and stress levels rise to the upper stratosphere of the planet Pluto ( Pluto was a planet when I went to school and in my mind it will always be a planet). I would say if you werent nervous and didnt re think this for a bit- then you should be worried, but if you are nervous and you did re think this- and it still made sense to you then you are fine. Its hard, especially leaving a job and career where you are valued and konw, and have a well established routine. The past few days Ive been thinking about how nice it is to have a routine- knowing full well that in 3 short months I will have to establish a new routine in a new city- and be around total strangers, when I have been working with the same people for a long time. Thats the beauty and the beast of this- you have to give up your routine, and your families routine to pursue this adventure. I think this is where being older is an advantage- as you know that your life will be flipped upside down, and in 3 short years will be flipped upside down again. You also know how to roll with lifes unexpectedness and respond to this- and no matter what you have done, you have a unique skill set- and knoweldge base that will help you be a great lawyer. Sure it may have nothing to do with law, but by being a bit older, and being outside the academic bubble- you have that perspective. This will help when you need it the most- because knowing that things rarely go as planned will help you respond and persevere through those unplesent times.


Exactly.

User avatar
oldhippie
Posts: 538
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:41 pm

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby oldhippie » Fri May 13, 2011 7:56 am

Lawst wrote:What it comes down to is this: I've always harbored this desire to go to law school and it's never left me. I think it will be rewarding if I'm able to stay above the negativity and doubts and remember why I wanted to do this in the first place, to help people. The truth is that no one really knows what it's like to be a lawyer until you are one. So, it's a risk. But if you want to grow as a person, you have to take risks.
The good thing for us older students is that we know that life goes on, no matter what happens in school or work or wherever. Things work out. Grades are important, but not everything. I'm glad that I'm not doing this at 22. I don't think I would handle it so well.
Now let's kick some ass out there come August. :twisted:

this is just soooo how i feel that i had to quote it. yep, i have moments of being scared. but mostly i'm looking at the challenge and the excitement and the chance to push myself and gain a set of skills that will be useful whether i practice law or return back to my current job. but THINGS WORK OUT and i trust this path as much as i've trusted the others i've taken...some of them have been hard as HELL but they have always paid off, sone way or another....

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby r6_philly » Fri May 13, 2011 9:40 am

northwood wrote:gunners are TTT. Aim to be a sniper- you know the one who looks like they arent paying attention- but really is, the one who gives vague answers- but read each case- the one who doesnt fret too much about the exams and ends up booking them. Be friendly wiht your peers- then quietly shoot down their boasts of greatness and dreams of being number 1.

Just remember after you get your tests back yell Yall been Sniped!


Ahh sniper, that's what I am. Quietly doing the work that everyone will be doing in November.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby kalvano » Fri May 13, 2011 9:51 am

nygrrrl wrote:
kalvano wrote:Almost done with my first year. Totally worth it.


THIS.
Fucking THIS.

(And congrats, Kalvano! SO CLOSE... delusional? forget about following the Arrows of this site - you'll find your own way to do it. Take bits from their strategies, let the rest go. I made a decision early on in this process to ENJOY it, even if it meant not being top 25%. Law school is wicked hard and TOTALLY worth it.)



Done now. I remain firmly convinced that, even not being in the top 10% / yadda / yadda / yadda, I will be in a better position after graduation than I was before.

Law school sucks sometimes. But other times it's fun. I've met a lot of really awesome, nice people that are great fun to be around, and the work itself is actually kind of fun. Exams aren't fun, but some of the classes are really interesting. I get to work with a criminal judge this summer, and I feel like that is going to be an absolute blast.

Also, for the married folks - my wife read a bunch of stuff about how awful it is for spouses of law school students and stuff like that. She was really dreading it. But, like I reminded her, most people don't start a blog or whatever about how happy they are. I asked after the year was over, and she said it was nowhere near as bad as she thought it was going to be.

You will take a little time to figure it out, but there is a nice school / life balance that you will find that will allow you to both study and to enjoy yourself.

User avatar
Lisi
Posts: 124
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:50 pm

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby Lisi » Fri May 13, 2011 10:43 am

northwood wrote:
r6_philly wrote:I tried to get my ducks in a role and do some research while I still have plenty of time, and the school told me to relax and wait for September. I guess I am set to be a gunner.



gunners are TTT. Aim to be a sniper- you know the one who looks like they arent paying attention- but really is, the one who gives vague answers- but read each case- the one who doesnt fret too much about the exams and ends up booking them. Be friendly wiht your peers- then quietly shoot down their boasts of greatness and dreams of being number 1.

Just remember after you get your tests back yell Yall been Sniped!


This is exactly the attitude I was taught to have growing up. In grad school, I read all about it -- sprezzatura (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sprezzatura)

User avatar
Leira7905
Posts: 384
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:42 pm

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby Leira7905 » Fri May 13, 2011 11:10 am

Lisi wrote:This is exactly the attitude I was taught to have growing up. In grad school, I read all about it -- sprezzatura (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sprezzatura)


Sweet 8)

User avatar
ahduth
Posts: 2468
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:55 am

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby ahduth » Fri May 13, 2011 12:47 pm

r6_philly wrote:
northwood wrote:gunners are TTT. Aim to be a sniper- you know the one who looks like they arent paying attention- but really is, the one who gives vague answers- but read each case- the one who doesnt fret too much about the exams and ends up booking them. Be friendly wiht your peers- then quietly shoot down their boasts of greatness and dreams of being number 1.

Just remember after you get your tests back yell Yall been Sniped!


Ahh sniper, that's what I am. Quietly doing the work that everyone will be doing in November.


Can I be the guy who doesn't actually pay attention, yet still kills the exams?

ArghItsBlarg
Posts: 204
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:21 pm

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby ArghItsBlarg » Fri May 13, 2011 1:08 pm

Man. Today is my last day of work. After today, I will (hopefully) never be a legal assistant again, and it will end 10 years of solid, full-time employment. Weird, weird day.

User avatar
homestyle28
Posts: 2312
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:48 pm

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby homestyle28 » Fri May 13, 2011 1:19 pm

ArghItsBlarg wrote:Man. Today is my last day of work. After today, I will (hopefully) never be a legal assistant again, and it will end 10 years of solid, full-time employment. Weird, weird day.


Congrats! Enjoy the early start at NU and prepare to laugh at us noobs when we arrive in August!

User avatar
Leira7905
Posts: 384
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:42 pm

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby Leira7905 » Fri May 13, 2011 1:34 pm

ArghItsBlarg wrote:Man. Today is my last day of work. After today, I will (hopefully) never be a legal assistant again, and it will end 10 years of solid, full-time employment. Weird, weird day.


Congrats! I'm sticking with my boss till August 1st... Been his paralegal for several years. I almost feel guilty for leaving him.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], carlos_danger, stratton_oakmont and 5 guests