OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
northwood

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Postby northwood » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:32 pm

Lisi wrote:mdwannabejd - a lot of younger people probably don't understand that when you're older (and thinking of doing something new), you've probably already given thought to the idea that you're older. The post you included in this thread seems to be almost telling you: by the way, you're 40. Um.... really? Imagine that :) ! I've spent the past few years teaching very bright undergraduates, and, frankly, some of them can be total know-it-alls simply because they don't have enough experience under their belts to realize that they don't know everything and should probably shy away from making sweeping generalizations about people in general, people they don't know, and the goals of people they don't know. A lot of people on this website go on and on about Big Law, which I find interesting (since many of these people have never worked anything close to the number of hours they will be working if they go into Big Law). Anyway, at the NYU ASW, I asked the dean in charge of PI (and other panel members) why it is that so few students actually go into PI. The response was basically two-fold: 1) private firms (and Big Law) are easier to get in the sense that it takes less individual planning and initiative to find a job with them if you are otherwise qualified, and 2) a lot of students are addicted to prestige and perceived accomplishment, which becomes naively associated with money and firm name. This attitude is perceivable in the response you got and posted in this thread. The respondent addressed your chances for Big Law (as though that would be the obvious route from law school) and the idea that the MD/MBA/JD would be really cool. Most people who have worked for higher degrees don't think about them as a diploma sitting on their office wall. There's just a sort of silliness to that kind of interpretation of your career trajectory and interests. What is nice about this thread is that people think through questions like lifestyle and individual goals (and are also very supportive!). I find that TLS provides a lot of young people with the opportunity to air their insecurities in round-about ways. When you're not aware that that is what is going on, posts can seem really harsh and sometimes rude. It took me a little while to adjust my attitude toward certain types of posts on TLS.

this is a fantastic post. IM 2 years too young to post here, but illbe 31 when i graduate. that being said i wish i read this post when i first got on here.

kaelgrai

Postby kaelgrai » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:00 pm

Kaelgrai, are you interested in working in Silicon Valley after graduating? I would not go to Rutgers unless you want to work in New Jersey. Yeah, most people have heard of Rutgers, but I don't think their law schools have a strong national reputation. If you want to work in California, people are probably going to wonder why the heck you went there. I would retake the LSAT. Hopefully you could raise your score enough so that you could get into Hastings or Davis or perhaps even Berkeley or Stanford. What is your GPA? If it is low, that will restrict where you can get in even if you kill the LSAT.

Hi Sarrah,
thanks for the reply. my UG GPA is 3.52 from UC Berkeley. It's admittable, but I think I would still very much need to kill the LSAT. I could see retaking the LSAT and reapplying earlier in the cycle as advantageous, but also a gamble with some potential oppty costs. has anyone here reapplied successfully?

thanks!

delusional

Postby delusional » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:04 am

firemed wrote:
Leira7905 wrote:Okay, so I put down my seat deposit, and now I'm freaking out just a little.
LS is what I want. Texas is the school I want/need (I can't leave this state because of my daughter). But the debt is giving me cold feet.

Anyone else freaking out more about this as it gets closer to "go time"?

Oh yes.... "go time" is freaking me the eff out. :lol: :lol:

OMFG I'm going crazy. Every day I get closer to making a decision, and to killing myself. $210,000 in debt is what I'm looking at and it terrifies me, but without LS, I'll be pushing pencils my whole life for a pittance.

I try to rationalize this path by thinking that in three years of (boots on the ground, borderline blue collar) WE, I got nowhere, but six months after starting to study or the LSAT, I was in at several T14s. And then I think, yeah, and they want to make you pay $200,000 for a 50% chance at the opportunity to work in a sweatshop. But I think I'm in too far to ever go back to selling and hauling stuff for $35,000 a year.

KimboSlice

Postby KimboSlice » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:35 am

Does anyone on this topic also feel like they are "failure to launch" on paper? I've taken a decade to get a bachelors and will have just finished a masters before entering law school (should I be accepted). I have consistent work experience, but nothing related to law. I'm not yet thirty (but would def be over by the time I passed the bar!!), married, homeowner, "stable" (translation- boring, way over the college party phase). But I look like a "dumb kid" should people judge on appearance and application alone. Yet I have had some pretty maturing life/work experiences that people wouldn't know about me unless they knew me personally. At least some of the old school people on here have legit work exp, families, and other qualities that def put them in the non-tradtl group. How about those of us stuck in the middle?? Any advice?
I know age is just a number. However, I feel like I am constantly trying to sell people-myself- on my theory :wink:

delusional

Postby delusional » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:41 am

KimboSlice wrote:Does anyone on this topic also feel like they are "failure to launch" on paper? I've taken a decade to get a bachelors and will have just finished a masters before entering law school (should I be accepted). I have consistent work experience, but nothing related to law. I'm not yet thirty (but would def be over by the time I passed the bar!!), married, homeowner, "stable" (translation- boring, way over the college party phase). But I look like a "dumb kid" should people judge on appearance and application alone. Yet I have had some pretty maturing life/work experiences that people wouldn't know about me unless they knew me personally. At least some of the old school people on here have legit work exp, families, and other qualities that def put them in the non-tradtl group. How about those of us stuck in the middle?? Any advice?
I know age is just a number. However, I feel like I am constantly trying to sell people-myself- on my theory :wink:

I'm an 0L but who the hell knows? If you've got it, you've got it, if you don't, you don't. I did nothing (okay, rounding down a little bit) with my life until the LSAT, but I'll be starting law school with people who dewormed cancerous orphan babies in Malaysia. I have a laundry list of reasonable excuses, and equally heavy apprehension that it's not the world, it's me. But if I show up to LS and kick ass, the past won't matter.

firemed

Postby firemed » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:34 am

delusional wrote:
firemed wrote:
Leira7905 wrote:Okay, so I put down my seat deposit, and now I'm freaking out just a little.
LS is what I want. Texas is the school I want/need (I can't leave this state because of my daughter). But the debt is giving me cold feet.

Anyone else freaking out more about this as it gets closer to "go time"?

Oh yes.... "go time" is freaking me the eff out. :lol: :lol:

OMFG I'm going crazy. Every day I get closer to making a decision, and to killing myself. $210,000 in debt is what I'm looking at and it terrifies me, but without LS, I'll be pushing pencils my whole life for a pittance.

I try to rationalize this path by thinking that in three years of (boots on the ground, borderline blue collar) WE, I got nowhere, but six months after starting to study or the LSAT, I was in at several T14s. And then I think, yeah, and they want to make you pay $200,000 for a 50% chance at the opportunity to work in a sweatshop. But I think I'm in too far to ever go back to selling and hauling stuff for $35,000 a year.

Amen... tell it.

If it helps, I find this [going to law school thingie] more scary than running into an inferno. Seriously.

Does that help?
Last edited by firemed on Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

firemed

Postby firemed » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:40 am

KimboSlice wrote:Does anyone on this topic also feel like they are "failure to launch" on paper? I've taken a decade to get a bachelors and will have just finished a masters before entering law school (should I be accepted). I have consistent work experience, but nothing related to law. I'm not yet thirty (but would def be over by the time I passed the bar!!), married, homeowner, "stable" (translation- boring, way over the college party phase). But I look like a "dumb kid" should people judge on appearance and application alone. Yet I have had some pretty maturing life/work experiences that people wouldn't know about me unless they knew me personally. At least some of the old school people on here have legit work exp, families, and other qualities that def put them in the non-tradtl group. How about those of us stuck in the middle?? Any advice?

It took me 13 years to get a bachelors degree. I am sure that (had I the grades to even apply) that might have been an issue at the T14... but below there I had no issues with that. Ditto with the lack of relation to law in my WE.

And as for the "dumb kid" issue I would say that this is what your PS is for... to let you paint a picture of yourself as someone cool despite first appearances.

Honestly... one of the few things that the kids on this site get right is the fact that the hands down most important part of your application is GPA + LSAT. You could be the most boring mother-effer on the planet... but if you have a 4.0 and a 180 you are still getting into at least 50% of the T14. With schollys and possibly sexual favors. Trust me.

Try not to let all the other stuff worry you too much. Just get the best LSAT you can (if you haven't already) and apply. I guarantee it will work out for you somewhere.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:30 am

Last edited by Lawquacious on Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:56 pm

firemed wrote:

It took me 13 years to get a bachelors degree. I am sure that (had I the grades to even apply) that might have been an issue at the T14... but below there I had no issues with that. Ditto with the lack of relation to law in my WE.

And as for the "dumb kid" issue I would say that this is what your PS is for... to let you paint a picture of yourself as someone cool despite first appearances.

Honestly... one of the few things that the kids on this site get right is the fact that the hands down most important part of your application is GPA + LSAT. You could be the most boring mother-effer on the planet... but if you have a 4.0 and a 180 you are still getting into at least 50% of the T14. With schollys and possibly sexual favors. Trust me.

Try not to let all the other stuff worry you too much. Just get the best LSAT you can (if you haven't already) and apply. I guarantee it will work out for you somewhere.

I don't understand the question. My WE isn't bad, but it's not exactly scintillating. They really don't care unless you've cured cancer or have some extremely compelling story of personal accomplishment. Otherwise you will most likely hit your medians exactly. My numbers hit exactly the schools I was supposed to get into.

In other words your age isn't doing you an dis/favor unless you did something pretty great or pretty awful.

oldhippie

Postby oldhippie » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:20 am

just chiming in here to say ohmygod it is much more difficult to manage living with my mother than i had imagined. i have realized that i am no longer good at being told what to do over and over again. and i'm a pretty easy-going person!!
ok, end of rant. i am saving enough money to move 2 time zones away. that is some comfort :mrgreen:

firemed

Postby firemed » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:49 am

oldhippie wrote:just chiming in here to say ohmygod it is much more difficult to manage living with my mother than i had imagined. i have realized that i am no longer good at being told what to do over and over again. and i'm a pretty easy-going person!!
ok, end of rant. i am saving enough money to move 2 time zones away. that is some comfort :mrgreen:

I totally feel you on this!

Due to a really odd set of circumstances I ended up living with my mother for 5 months... about the same time as I started dating my wife. Ugh. It was, hands down, one of the most trying and potentially humiliating situations... ever. She tried, and I tried, but in the end... it was not good.

oldhippie

Postby oldhippie » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:57 am

yep, we knew it would be a challenge, but you just don't know until you do it!!! i'm just hoping we still like each other by july :mrgreen:

haus

Postby haus » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:26 am

oldhippie wrote:just chiming in here to say ohmygod it is much more difficult to manage living with my mother than i had imagined. i have realized that i am no longer good at being told what to do over and over again. and i'm a pretty easy-going person!!

Hang in there, this is simply a bit of turbulence on a far greater journey.

oldhippie

Postby oldhippie » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:39 am

haus wrote:

Hang in there, this is simply a bit of turbulence on a far greater journey.

amen to that :D i was having a weak moment....if my mom is the biggest challenge i face this summer, i'm in great shape!! :mrgreen:
i just can't believe that i'm 38 and dealing with this! whodathunkit? life is great :mrgreen:

northwood

Postby northwood » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:11 pm

its allright. I just moved back home to mom and dad's house to save some more money ( and my apt. lease was up in april and it made financial sense not to sign a month to month lease- they are more expensive) before i move 5 hours away on august first. Its a total lifestyle change and shocker- but its only for 12 weeks and 3 days ( 87 days but whose couinting). On the plus side- all of my things are allready packed so thats one less thing to worry about!

firemed

Postby firemed » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:32 pm

northwood wrote:

its allright. I just moved back home to mom and dad's house to save some more money ( and my apt. lease was up in april and it made financial sense not to sign a month to month lease- they are more expensive) before i move 5 hours away on august first. Its a total lifestyle change and shocker- but its only for 12 weeks and 3 days ( 87 days but whose couinting). On the plus side- all of my things are allready packed so thats one less thing to worry about!

Everyone who lives with their parents as an adult is counting. I counted. I even had a calendar I marked. Ugh... I think I am having flashbacks.

oldhippie

Postby oldhippie » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:40 pm

i have resisted marking the calendar. i think mom might take that as an insult:)
but the countdown keeps me sane!

Ford Prefect

Postby Ford Prefect » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:41 pm

Oh thank god for this. I moved back in about a month ago. I'd hoped to stay in my old place until just before school but my now-former-roommate decided his girlfriend would make a better living companion than a couple of his college buddies did. That seems crazy to me.

sarahh

Postby sarahh » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:46 pm

If I get a summer job in NYC during law school, I will probably wind up staying with my mother. Not looking foward to it. I stayed with her when I visited NYU, and she made me wear her gigantic coat because she said mine was too light. I was burning up! Um mom, I think I am old enough to decide on my own what to wear.

oldhippie

Postby oldhippie » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:52 pm

sarahh wrote:If I get a summer job in NYC during law school, I will probably wind up staying with my mother. Not looking foward to it. I stayed with her when I visited NYU, and she made me wear her gigantic coat because she said mine was too light. I was burning up! Um mom, I think I am old enough to decide on my own what to wear.

right!?!?!
apparently, this will never stop :) it's just easier to listen to over the phone than in person!!

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:34 pm

I'll be aiming for summer jobs either in Chicago or back at home in Portland. Since my condo will (hopefully) be rented out, that would mean moving back in with dad. Ummm...yay? :?

firemed

Postby firemed » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:51 pm

oldhippie wrote:
sarahh wrote:If I get a summer job in NYC during law school, I will probably wind up staying with my mother. Not looking foward to it. I stayed with her when I visited NYU, and she made me wear her gigantic coat because she said mine was too light. I was burning up! Um mom, I think I am old enough to decide on my own what to wear.

right!?!?!
apparently, this will never stop :) it's just easier to listen to over the phone than in person!!

How good my relationship is with my mother is directly proportional to the distance I live from her. Shame that free child care become inconvenient with large distances.

northwood

Postby northwood » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:50 pm

As much as i love my parents i am so glad that i am going to school 5 hours away from them. Close enough to visit via car ( and for a quick weekend trip) but far enough where they will have to make plans first.

Lawst

Postby Lawst » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:09 pm

I can only stand about one week tops around my parents. You guys are seriously stoic.

northwood

Postby northwood » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:11 pm

Lawst wrote:I can only stand about one week tops around my parents. You guys are seriously stoic.

i just constantly remind myself that im saving money. saving money. saving money. and counting down the days until i depart

Return to “Choosing a Law School”