OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT) Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
DB1

New

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Post by DB1 » Sun May 22, 2011 3:51 pm

[/quote]

My advice is also to apply to other places in the same general ranking as the georgia schools... you can use any scholly offers to negotiate for $$$ at the schools in state. And what the heck, you might even find a great offer out of state that would make it worth it to move.[/quote]

That's funny you mentioned that Firemed, as the wife and I just sat down over breakfast and made of list schools she'd like to see me apply and would be happy relocated to. =) What got me was, she set my standards higher than I did. Telling me to apply to Berkeley, Duke, U of Chicago... Trying to convince her that I'm probably not going to get higher than a 165 on the LSAT was like talking to a brick wall. Her response, study harder then. :D Gotta love tough love!

Off topic, how long have you been a smoke eater?

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Sun May 22, 2011 4:08 pm

DB1 wrote:

That's funny you mentioned that Firemed, as the wife and I just sat down over breakfast and made of list schools she'd like to see me apply and would be happy relocated to. =) What got me was, she set my standards higher than I did. Telling me to apply to Berkeley, Duke, U of Chicago... Trying to convince her that I'm probably not going to get higher than a 165 on the LSAT was like talking to a brick wall. Her response, study harder then. :D Gotta love tough love!

Off topic, how long have you been a smoke eater?
10 years in EMS, 6 or so of those as a paramedic. Approximately 3 years since I entered the Fire Academy and about 2.5 years since I got my Firefighter II.

And, FYI, the LSAT is learnable. What was your cold diagnostic score? And where are your weaknesses?

Also, with a 170 you could go to Northwestern pretty easily assuming you have a 3.0 or above.

ElvisAaron

Bronze

Post by ElvisAaron » Mon May 23, 2011 2:49 pm

Anyone in this thread going to BU?

rupret1

Bronze

Post by rupret1 » Mon May 23, 2011 4:24 pm

sarahh wrote:
rupret1 wrote:
sarahh wrote:I don't think we will have a problem renting out our place, but we have been trying to deal with water seeping in the concrete floor in one of bedrooms when it rains. The fixes have not worked so far. My husband just submitted his first job application today, and we are leaving in two weeks to search for an apartment. I hope we find something - this is our only opportunity to look since we currently live on the other side of the country from the law school.
We had the same problem with water seeping in when we first moved into our house. We put in a French drain along that side and never had a problem since. It was a relatively cheap fix as we did it ourselves. You just dig a trench along the length of the house and out into the back yard about 8-10 feet. Then you lay drain pipe covered in mesh into the hole and cover with gravel. It took a while to dig the ditch, but beyond that it was easy. It did tear up the landscaping on that side, but we just covered over with mulch to hide it.
Thanks for the advice, but we are above the parking garage and have a concrete patio outside. We just have to keep on bugging the HOA to fix it. They think it may be coming from the roof, but no one is really sure what is going on. What am I paying $300 a month in HOA dues for?
In my experience HOA dues don't get you much besides holy hell if your yard isn't mowed quick enough for their liking.

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Mon May 23, 2011 6:04 pm

rupret1 wrote:
sarahh wrote:
Thanks for the advice, but we are above the parking garage and have a concrete patio outside. We just have to keep on bugging the HOA to fix it. They think it may be coming from the roof, but no one is really sure what is going on. What am I paying $300 a month in HOA dues for?
In my experience HOA dues don't get you much besides holy hell if your yard isn't mowed quick enough for their liking.
I hate my HOA. Sure, my front yard looks nice. But all they really do is harass me about my trash can placement, the lattice in my garden, the color of the bricks I added to a wall, the fact that my blinds were broken once, etc. etc. etc....

I wish I could ritually murder them legally somehow.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

haus

Gold

Post by haus » Mon May 23, 2011 8:00 pm

firemed wrote: I wish I could ritually murder them legally somehow.
Now, if law school offered a course on how to deal with HOA's in this manner law school would be even more popular.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Mon May 23, 2011 8:59 pm

firemed wrote:
rupret1 wrote:
sarahh wrote:
I hate my HOA. Sure, my front yard looks nice. But all they really do is harass me about my trash can placement, the lattice in my garden, the color of the bricks I added to a wall, the fact that my blinds were broken once, etc. etc. etc....

I wish I could ritually murder them legally somehow.
My condo's HOA rules state that we can't put potted plants on our patio railings. We can hang them (I don't WANT hanging baskets, I like my cute pots!) or we can set them on the ground, taking up precious square footage on our tiny 10x5 patios. What are patio railings FOR, if not to put plants on?

And I got so sick of waiting for them to do some (ANY) landscaping near my unit that I ended up just planting a bunch of shit myself.

DB1

New

Post by DB1 » Wed May 25, 2011 6:49 pm

Has everyone on here taken the LSAT already? I'm taking it for the first time in October, and my first practice exam tonight. Just curious... :)

CinnamonRose

New

Post by CinnamonRose » Wed May 25, 2011 7:50 pm

I can't believe I just found this thread yesterday and skimmed thru the many topics of interest to me.

I am not only over 30 non-trad, I read with interest the posts on combining kids and law school because I faced that same decision myself with a non-(emotionally) supportive spouse who worked 70 hrs a week and would not relocate away from Chicago - and whose income meant only merit aid.
I spoke to others and of all the people I knew who were married and then a few years later went to law school, to a one they got divorced. With or without kids.

I decided to do the job I loved then - parenting/volunteer/teaching/not-for-profit and finally I am going to law school - which makes all you 30 somethings babes in the woods! I have no doubt I will be the oldest in any class I enter but hey - I am too old to party and my kids are too old to need sitters...I am free to study study study.

I was accepted at DePaul and Denver ($20K scholarships) and just was moved off the wait list to Tulane ($10K) so I am facing a big decision here myself - the very common debate - is the higher rank worth the extra cost. I was told by atty friends in 5 years, no one cares where you went, only your professional track record.
Pretty much decided no to DePaul because the Chicago winters are awful.

Still....I welcome any free advice (until we all can bill for it, anyways)...
Relocation is not an issue at all - I was ready to move anyways and was looking into options when that old idea popped up of law school.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Thu May 26, 2011 1:02 am

DB1 wrote:Has everyone on here taken the LSAT already? I'm taking it for the first time in October, and my first practice exam tonight. Just curious... :)
I think there is one or two others ITT that haven't.

Welcome and good luck in October!

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Thu May 26, 2011 1:04 am

CinnamonRose wrote:I can't believe I just found this thread yesterday and skimmed thru the many topics of interest to me.

I am not only over 30 non-trad, I read with interest the posts on combining kids and law school because I faced that same decision myself with a non-(emotionally) supportive spouse who worked 70 hrs a week and would not relocate away from Chicago - and whose income meant only merit aid.
I spoke to others and of all the people I knew who were married and then a few years later went to law school, to a one they got divorced. With or without kids.

I decided to do the job I loved then - parenting/volunteer/teaching/not-for-profit and finally I am going to law school - which makes all you 30 somethings babes in the woods! I have no doubt I will be the oldest in any class I enter but hey - I am too old to party and my kids are too old to need sitters...I am free to study study study.

I was accepted at DePaul and Denver ($20K scholarships) and just was moved off the wait list to Tulane ($10K) so I am facing a big decision here myself - the very common debate - is the higher rank worth the extra cost. I was told by atty friends in 5 years, no one cares where you went, only your professional track record.
Pretty much decided no to DePaul because the Chicago winters are awful.

Still....I welcome any free advice (until we all can bill for it, anyways)...
Relocation is not an issue at all - I was ready to move anyways and was looking into options when that old idea popped up of law school.
I have several friends who went to Tulane who were able to get good jobs. And I have heard bad things about DePaul's placement lately. Personally I would rather live in New Orleans than Chicago anyway... but Tulane turned me down... so whatever.

In any case, welcome! Glad you finally made the choice to go to law school!

CinnamonRose

New

Post by CinnamonRose » Thu May 26, 2011 12:10 pm

Thanks, firemed.

I have been in Chicago area for decades and its time for a change so it is Denver or Tulane.
I have no interest in biglaw and they won't have much in me so I figure small and private practice.

I am leaning to Tulane but there is less scholarship there than Denver and rent seems higher there as well.
Denver's other big draw: my daughter is at UC Boulder (I was waitlisted there).

But she warns me she is too young to know where she will wind up "forever" so she would like me close but "don't make your plans around me"
smart kid

As for those selling houses - PM me for advice if you want - I am a Realtor...

DB1

New

Post by DB1 » Thu May 26, 2011 12:24 pm

ElvisAaron wrote:Anyone in this thread going to BU?

Im trying to... Would love to live in Boston again. BTW, nice ink!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Thu May 26, 2011 12:58 pm

DB1 wrote:

My advice is also to apply to other places in the same general ranking as the georgia schools... you can use any scholly offers to negotiate for $$$ at the schools in state. And what the heck, you might even find a great offer out of state that would make it worth it to move.

Yeah, apply to the top schools no matter where they are. If you can get into Chicago, just call up any school in Georgia and say, "I'll go to your school if I don't have to pay a dime for anything for the next three years." They'll figure some way to help you out.

delusional

Silver

Post by delusional » Sun May 29, 2011 9:21 pm

DB1 wrote:
ElvisAaron wrote:Anyone in this thread going to BU?

Im trying to... Would love to live in Boston again. BTW, nice ink!
Not I, but I will live pretty close. Just got an apartment in Brighton! Started packing today!

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:04 am

For people concerned about their decision to go to law school, fear not.

Once you get out of the stupid classroom hypotheticals and into the real world, this law stuff is actually super interesting. People can make some amazingly bad decisions, and while frustrating, trying to untangle them is interesting as well.

oldhippie

Silver

Post by oldhippie » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:50 am

i have to admit, i'm reading GTM and it's making more excited about law school. i think there is something wrong with me :D

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:19 am

kalvano wrote:For people concerned about their decision to go to law school, fear not.

Once you get out of the stupid classroom hypotheticals and into the real world, this law stuff is actually super interesting. People can make some amazingly bad decisions, and while frustrating, trying to untangle them is interesting as well.
Thanks for this kalvano... I might need this reminder once school starts!

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:27 am

oldhippie wrote:i have to admit, i'm reading GTM and it's making more excited about law school. i think there is something wrong with me :D

SAME HERE!!!! This is one of those days where I just cannot wait to go to school! :oops:

oldhippie

Silver

Post by oldhippie » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:31 am

firemed wrote:
oldhippie wrote:i have to admit, i'm reading GTM and it's making more excited about law school. i think there is something wrong with me :D

SAME HERE!!!! This is one of those days where I just cannot wait to go to school! :oops:
yay for enthusiasm twins!!! :D

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:00 pm

oldhippie wrote:
firemed wrote:

yay for enthusiasm twins!!! :D

triplets??? IM ready to get roaring to go!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

oldhippie

Silver

Post by oldhippie » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:04 pm

triplets it is :mrgreen:

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:10 pm

oldhippie wrote:triplets it is :mrgreen:
As soon as I get my home buying/selling situation squared away I will happily make for an enthusiastic quad...maybe we can get our own show on TLC!

oldhippie

Silver

Post by oldhippie » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:22 pm

homestyle28 wrote:
As soon as I get my home buying/selling situation squared away I will happily make for an enthusiastic quad...maybe we can get our own show on TLC!
"Quadruplets who found each other after age 30" i like it!

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:45 pm

oldhippie wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:
"Quadruplets who found each other after age 30" i like it!
I'd watch, especially if we can involve some of the other TLC staples:
1) cake
2) little people
3) flipping houses

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”