OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT) Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
homestyle28

Gold

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Post by homestyle28 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:28 am

tblackpcb wrote:Just wanted to finally check in. I will be 40 soon and am beginning the application process. The hardest thing for me so far is that the only school within a reasonable distance is not at ALL reputable yet there is some difficulty in managing a different school with a family. Any advice?
There's a pretty limited set of circumstances where I'd say going to a school like FL coastal makes any sense. Would a JD further your current career? Do you have an established network such that you KNOW you'll have a job on graduation? If not then you have to consider taking the lumps and moving to a better school, especially if law school is a means to a career change.

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:27 pm

tblackpcb wrote:It is Florida Coastal.
Don't do it. Find a way to go to a better law school (there's like 2 decent and 2 barely acceptable choices in your state alone, because apparently Florida needs like 5,000,000,000,000 law schools for some fucking reason).

tennactitans

New

Post by tennactitans » Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:02 pm

spleenworship wrote:
tblackpcb wrote:It is Florida Coastal.
Don't do it. Find a way to go to a better law school (there's like 2 decent and 2 barely acceptable choices in your state alone, because apparently Florida needs like 5,000,000,000,000 law schools for some fucking reason).
Two decent: UF and FSU? Which are the barely acceptable? Miami and....

navykev

Bronze

Post by navykev » Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:18 pm

Checking in! 39 -- retiring after 20 years in the Navy -- headed to law school in 2015.

Accepted to WUSTL, UGA, Miami and Baylor so far. Originally from St. Louis -- so WUSTL is my top choice at the moment -- all though UGA seems like a really great place as well.

tennactitans

New

Post by tennactitans » Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:25 pm

navykev wrote:Checking in! 39 -- retiring after 20 years in the Navy -- headed to law school in 2015.

Accepted to WUSTL, UGA, Miami and Baylor so far. Originally from St. Louis -- so WUSTL is my top choice at the moment -- all though UGA seems like a really great place as well.
Head down south, Master Chief. Time to relax.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

elterrible78

Silver

Post by elterrible78 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:25 pm

navykev wrote:Checking in! 39 -- retiring after 20 years in the Navy -- headed to law school in 2015.

Congrats, and good luck! What are you looking at doing with the degree?

hous

Bronze

Post by hous » Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:27 pm

I think going to law school is a pretty bad decision for 75% of those that go. I think its got to be a terrible mistake for 95% of those over 30. Its not worth the insane tuition and miserable job prospects (LOL jobs...). Whats worse than raising a family on 50k a year? Raising a family on 45k a year, working 70 hours a week, and being 200k in debt.

patogordo

Gold

Post by patogordo » Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:28 pm

tennactitans wrote:

seriously. start a consulting firm, cop some set-aside contracts, and enjoy some golf.

navykev

Bronze

Post by navykev » Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:29 pm

tennactitans wrote:

I do enjoy the weather!!!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:32 pm

hous wrote:I think going to law school is a pretty bad decision for 75% of those that go. I think its got to be a terrible mistake for 95% of those over 30. Its not worth the insane tuition and miserable job prospects (LOL jobs...). Whats worse than raising a family on 50k a year? Raising a family on 45k a year, working 70 hours a week, and being 200k in debt.
Eh, I think it's a little unfair to say this unless you're actually over 30.

patogordo

Gold

Post by patogordo » Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:33 pm

yea it kinda does suck though.

elterrible78

Silver

Post by elterrible78 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:35 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
hous wrote:I think going to law school is a pretty bad decision for 75% of those that go. I think its got to be a terrible mistake for 95% of those over 30. Its not worth the insane tuition and miserable job prospects (LOL jobs...). Whats worse than raising a family on 50k a year? Raising a family on 45k a year, working 70 hours a week, and being 200k in debt.
And if it's in response to the 39-year-old retired Navy poster, there are probably a half dozen or so factors that Hous didn't even consider when posting this. In the most general sense, I agree with him, but sometimes the one-size-fits-all naysaying that goes on in here is a little much.

navykev

Bronze

Post by navykev » Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:36 pm

patogordo wrote:
tennactitans wrote:

seriously. start a consulting firm, cop some set-aside contracts, and enjoy some golf.
Nah that'd be too easy -- I'd get bored after about a week! I can work for free -- so I get to chase all those pipe dream legal careers that people want to do but can't because they are impossible to get or don't pay anything!!!! If I can't find a job in a legal field I love, helping people -- I'll just make one! My military career was on the military's terms -- my legal career is on my terms! :)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:38 pm

Meh. 80% of the over 30s in my class got jobs, many starting at well over 45k. Did better on average than the 26 year olds did, on average.

patogordo

Gold

Post by patogordo » Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:39 pm

160k/yr with 200k debt still kinda blows though

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:42 pm

patogordo wrote:160k/yr with 200k debt still kinda blows though
This is true.

Personally, I still only recommend going if you actually really want to be a lawyer.

navykev

Bronze

Post by navykev » Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:47 pm

elterrible78 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
And if it's in response to the 39-year-old retired Navy poster, there are probably a half dozen or so factors that Hous didn't even consider when posting this. In the most general sense, I agree with him, but sometimes the one-size-fits-all naysaying that goes on in here is a little much.
Yeah if it was directed at me -- he clearly didn't do his research! Us military folks -- go to law school for free.

I'm being condescending above not to be a jerk but to prove a point -- most advice on here is decent and should be considered -- but each of us have our reasons and own circumstance. I hope no one is ever convinced by this board alone not to go to law school. Especially the ones on this thread that have a little more life experience behind us.
Last edited by navykev on Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

tennactitans

New

Post by tennactitans » Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:50 pm

You guys are missing his point. A retired E9 doesn't have to worry about getting a high paying job. He's going to go to a comfortable school, graduate cum laude (because he knows what work is) then put in whatever amount of effort he feels like. _ _CM- I say you get the degree then bail to the islands.

navykev

Bronze

Post by navykev » Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:59 pm

elterrible78 wrote:

Congrats, and good luck! What are you looking at doing with the degree?

Thanks -- humanitarian/human rights type stuff -- I'll work for free if I have to in order to do something I am passionate about. I am very fortunate to be financially secure -- money is not an issue for me. I just want to have a challenging and intellectually stimulating law school experience and then go do something I am passionate about until I die. I'll never retire -- I get bored to easily!
Last edited by navykev on Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:59 pm

I never said it was a great idea, just not any worse for 30+s than for under-30s.

patogordo

Gold

Post by patogordo » Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:00 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
I never said it was a great idea, just not any worse for 30+s than for under-30s.
i think id be marginally less depressed if i were under 30

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:03 pm

patogordo wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
grass is always greener.

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:03 pm

patogordo wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Don't lie to yourself. You'd probably be more depressed because you would have nothing real or shitty to compare this shittyness to.

navykev

Bronze

Post by navykev » Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:10 pm

spleenworship wrote:
patogordo wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Don't lie to yourself. You'd probably be more depressed because you would have nothing real or shitty to compare this shittyness to.
I do have to admit -- that amount of debt is crazy!
Last edited by navykev on Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

patogordo

Gold

Post by patogordo » Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:11 pm

lol i'm a veteran

definitely killing myself now

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”