OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT) Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
r6_philly

Diamond

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Post by r6_philly » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:17 pm

firemed wrote:
delusional wrote:
Leira7905 wrote:
What do ya'll think? Does it make you feel uncomfortable to know that some of your classmates will feel this way?
Part of what happened as I aged was that I stopped caring about what people think about me.
I don't know. While I don't care in the sense that I don't take it personally (seriously, I couldn't give a fuck)... I do care in the sense that it changes the interactions I have, the kinds of interactions I have, and the opportunities available to me. Being a firefighter in a house with 4 other guys/gals for 1/3 of my life has seriously shown me firsthand how social interactions can make a huge difference in life quality.
My personal journey taught me the opposite. As long as I can interact with my family and be happy at home, I couldn't care less what happens outside - because I can always go home and be happy. Social interaction is however important to one's career, but I just don't care about it anymore than that context lol

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:21 pm

r6_philly wrote:
firemed wrote:
I don't know. While I don't care in the sense that I don't take it personally (seriously, I couldn't give a fuck)... I do care in the sense that it changes the interactions I have, the kinds of interactions I have, and the opportunities available to me. Being a firefighter in a house with 4 other guys/gals for 1/3 of my life has seriously shown me firsthand how social interactions can make a huge difference in life quality.
My personal journey taught me the opposite. As long as I can interact with my family and be happy at home, I couldn't care less what happens outside - because I can always go home and be happy. Social interaction is however important to one's career, but I just don't care about it anymore than that context lol
But what about at work, where your social interactions affect your career path, promotion opportunities, networking contacts, etc? LS is going to be similar to that.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:27 pm

firemed wrote: But what about at work, where your social interactions affect your career path, promotion opportunities, networking contacts, etc? LS is going to be similar to that.
So far ... I don't get promoted. I was a consultant. I act like Catbert. Minus the pitch fork.

Seriously, I get along with my younger classmates in grad school because I like drinking. As long as you are social and not a weirdo you are fine. Trying to fit in may be worse than just be yourself. I am not saying I won't make friends, I just wouldn't worry about it at all. But I am a fun guy to hang around, so maybe that helps.

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:31 pm

r6_philly wrote:As long as you are ... not a weirdo you are fine.
What if you are a weirdo?

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:31 pm

r6_philly wrote:
firemed wrote: But what about at work, where your social interactions affect your career path, promotion opportunities, networking contacts, etc? LS is going to be similar to that.
So far ... I don't get promoted. I was a consultant. I act like Catbert. Minus the pitch fork.

Seriously, I get along with my younger classmates in grad school because I like drinking. As long as you are social and not a weirdo you are fine. Trying to fit in may be worse than just be yourself. I am not saying I won't make friends, I just wouldn't worry about it at all. But I am a fun guy to hang around, so maybe that helps.
I wish I could be a Catbert.

Seriously though, I guess everyone has their own way of doing things. I am planning on being myself most of the time... but also editing myself sometimes (okay, frequently :twisted: ), and also choosing to attend certain events and say certain things that I don't really feel like doing/saying just because it is important to participate socially for the benefits that brings.

If I want to be totally myself I will do so with my family, who has already demonstrated a willingness to put up with my dumb ass.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:32 pm

ahduth wrote:
r6_philly wrote:As long as you are ... not a weirdo you are fine.
What if you are a weirdo?
Find the other, younger weirdos?

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:35 pm

homestyle28 wrote:Find the other, younger weirdos?
Sounds like life in the big city.

I think the people like non-chalant who seem to be a bit uptight about the age thing are going to be the minority. I wouldn't sweat it.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:56 pm

firemed wrote: my family, who has already demonstrated a willingness to put up with my dumb ass.
Amen. I don't know how they do it.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:56 pm

ahduth wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:Find the other, younger weirdos?
Sounds like life in the big city.

I think the people like non-chalant who seem to be a bit uptight about the age thing are going to be the minority. I wouldn't sweat it.
I have lots of idealistic, opinionated, naive younger classmates. I just chuck my brew and let them have the stage.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:36 am

Some of the younguns were back in the thread from earlier.

At this point all I want to post (though I won't) is: Are all 22 year olds as whiny as y'all? You are this worried about whether you will find enough people your age so that one of them might be your friend? Really? Grow some cajones (or ovaries, whatevs) already.

I understand my early adulthood was kind of weird, and forced some maturity on me early, so maybe I am overreacting? Cuz I don't remember being this concerned about stupid shit at 22.

Well, I mean I was concerned about stupid shit... but not this stupid shit. Like, trying to get laid, sure... and what I wanted to be when I grew up... but not if I could make friends at my new job/school/congregation/whathaveyou....

oldhippie

Silver

Post by oldhippie » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:09 am

wow, the youngster thread was interesting...
i think the bottom line is that these folks just need to get used to the idea of being in a world filled with people who are not like them....and after spending their lives surrounded by people of similar ages and interests in various school settings and it's probably a little scary for them to realize they have to interact with and compete with a huge variety of people with a huge variety of interests and experiences. but i'm preaching to the choir in here, i just don't have the energy to get into a pissing match in the other thread. too much other stuff going on...
but i did want to chime in :)

Iconoclast

Bronze

Post by Iconoclast » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:19 pm

My experience with younger classmates has been pretty different from what has been demonstrated in "the youngster thread" :)

Sure, there are some who simply need to grow the hell up. They are thankfully few.

Sure, most of them lack the perspective that is gained by living through a range of experiences, but it's kind of silly to blame the young for.. well... being young. They will gain experience and perspective, just like we have.

My overall impression is that many of my younger classmates are quite mature and have a broad range of talents. Some of them are pretty damned amazing people who will go on to be among the leaders of the next generation.

Us old folks should avoid being the mirror image of the young guy in the other thread who only wants to associate with people his own age. Sure, we have family and other obligations that will make it natural for us to choose to go home (or back to work, or whatever) rather than participate in many of the social outings... but it would be a mistake to not get to know your younger classmates. I guarantee they will surprise you if you give them a chance.

sidhesadie

Bronze

Post by sidhesadie » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:30 pm

I'm still in UG, and I agree with Iconoclast. Some of my younger classmates are idiots, and some of them are interesting, intelligent people that I enjoy talking to and spending time with. Pretty much the same as all the 30 and 40somethings I know, who are also a mixed bag of idiotic and interesting/intelligent. There are stupid, obnoxious people in every age group. It does amaze me sometimes how much hand-holding some of the early 20somethings in my classes seem to need (what? I'm supposed to actually read the syllabus and do things on the schedule without you reminding me 80 times before it's due?) but then I think about some of the 30 somethings I know who have gotten divorced and acted like they are incapable of doing things like arranging their own car insurance, and I remember that learned helplessness is not an age-related issue. Some of these kids will grow out of this as they get out on their own and don't have Mommy to do their laundry anymore. Some of them won't, and they will be that person at the office who drives everyone else nuts.

It's not an age issue, it's an intelligence/self-motivation/character issue.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

canuckofchicago

New

Post by canuckofchicago » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:57 pm

Hey everyone,

I was wondering do law schools actually have official social groups for mature and older students - something similar to this one but face to face? If not it would be something to setup, especially there are schools that have part-time studies and students that are older and work.

Just a thought.

Richard

oldhippie

Silver

Post by oldhippie » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:05 pm

i am actually really excited about the chance to socialize with younger folks. i'm plenty immature and still value play a lot, and i know that being around young people keeps you young, so i will definitely not be limiting myself to other older students. actually, as an unmarried, childless person i have as much in common with them as with people my age! :D

bedefan

Bronze

Post by bedefan » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:05 pm

Anybody around here about to attempt 1L with young kids? Or better yet, have attempted it with young kids? My daughters will be 3 and 1 when I start... Wife will be staying at home with them.

I'm 29 (I know I know, I'm crashing the thread, sorry sorry) but I've never had a "real job." I'm a writer and have always found work that provided/demanded tons of flexibility. (E.g. right now I'm teaching writing at a state university; I've also run a small homeless shelter; have supplemented my income with freelance work, grants, etc. etc.)

I admit to being a little worried about what the 1L schedule will do to me/us.

Thoughts on scheduling? Anybody attempt 9-5ing it (or 9-7ing it) and keeping the weekends free? Did it work?

I'm sure we'll figure out what works best for our family, but hearing some other perspectives would be nice.

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:12 pm

bedefan wrote:Anybody around here about to attempt 1L with young kids? Or better yet, have attempted it with young kids? My daughters will be 3 and 1 when I start... Wife will be staying at home with them.

I'm 29 (I know I know, I'm crashing the thread, sorry sorry) but I've never had a "real job." I'm a writer and have always found work that provided/demanded tons of flexibility. (E.g. right now I'm teaching writing at a state university; I've also run a small homeless shelter; have supplemented my income with freelance work, grants, etc. etc.)

I admit to being a little worried about what the 1L schedule will do to me/us.

Thoughts on scheduling? Anybody attempt 9-5ing it (or 9-7ing it) and keeping the weekends free? Did it work?

I'm sure we'll figure out what works best for our family, but hearing some other perspectives would be nice.
I'll be attempting it with a 1 year old (5.5 months now). I imagine I'll try to keep it between 8-6, with maybe some 9-10pm thrown in and some saturday mornings too. I've heard that if you can focus on it like a job, actually doing work during the day, it's pretty doable, just can't be on facebook, google, and TLS all day.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:16 pm

homestyle28 wrote:
I'll be attempting it with a 1 year old (5.5 months now). I imagine I'll try to keep it between 8-6, with maybe some 9-10pm thrown in and some saturday mornings too. I've heard that if you can focus on it like a job, actually doing work during the day, it's pretty doable, just can't be on facebook, google, and TLS all day.
Hey hey hey I work a couple hours short of full-time, taking full-time grad load, and have a 19 month-old. :lol: I don't sleep, that's all, but find enough time for facebook, google, cnn, and TLS.

Seriously we are planning for another one soon as I start LS. We really only have time to talk/interact between 9:30-12, and half a day on weekends (I have school). I think it may actually be easier in LS since I won't be working, that's 30+ hours I can reclaim.

Iconoclast

Bronze

Post by Iconoclast » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:33 pm

canuckofchicago wrote:Hey everyone,

I was wondering do law schools actually have official social groups for mature and older students - something similar to this one but face to face? If not it would be something to setup, especially there are schools that have part-time studies and students that are older and work.

Just a thought.

Richard
Mine has a group called OWLS (Older Wiser law Students). Of course, we welcome the young 'uns in if they want to hang out with the cool kids people. :)

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:35 pm

Iconoclast wrote: Mine has a group called OWLS (Older Wiser law Students). Of course, we welcome the young 'uns in if they want to hang out with the cool kids people. :)
Why did you pick OWLS? To make it easier to be picked on?

orangefanta

New

Post by orangefanta » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:47 pm

r6_philly wrote:Why did you pick OWLS? To make it easier to be picked on?
You stop giving a hoot after a while.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

orangefanta

New

Post by orangefanta » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:51 pm

Leira7905 wrote:Eh. The joke is on them. They'll not be young forever.
This. I remember when I was in my early 20s, I never quite processed I'd be in my 30s one day. Won't happen to me! I still haven't processed it to some extent...
delusional wrote:Part of what happened as I aged was that I stopped caring about what people think about me.
This, too.

too old for this sh*

Bronze

Post by too old for this sh* » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:54 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Iconoclast wrote: Mine has a group called OWLS (Older Wiser law Students). Of course, we welcome the young 'uns in if they want to hang out with the cool kids people. :)
Why did you pick OWLS? To make it easier to be picked on?
Curious as well...especially considering that my circles have always recognized an OWL to be an Older Wiser Lesbian ;)

KMaine

Silver

Post by KMaine » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:55 pm

orangefanta wrote:
Nice!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:00 pm

KMaine wrote:
orangefanta wrote:
Nice!
Thumbs up, thumbs up

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”