OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT) Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
PoopyPants

Bronze

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Post by PoopyPants » Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:40 am

thriller1122 wrote:Checking in... I'm 28, not 30, but I'm married, have two daughters (6 and 7) and have spent enough time enlisted to feel like I'm in my 40s... does that count? Anyways, I'm basically down to deciding between UF and BC. GI bill means tuition shouldn't be a problem (especially at Florida where I know for a fact I'd be going for free). However, I'm super worried about COL. Sure, my wife can work but she has been a stay at home mom for a while and just recently started workin (read: entry level salary while Im in school). I'd really love BC and it is clearly the better school but I do like Florida (the state) much more and it would be easier on the old pocket book. Idealy, I'm not financing anything for the next three years. What are you guys doing with regards to COL?
My wife is a pediatric oncology nurse. She is going to work while I'm in school. GI Bill means I will get some BAH, but she will be our primary breadwinner. Of course, if I get picked up for this IPP FLEP, they will pay my active duty salary the whole time I'm in law school, so we are kind of praying for that.

OLitch

Bronze

Post by OLitch » Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:44 am

thriller1122 wrote:
Capitol_Idea wrote:My wife's the breadwinner while I'm in school (I helped a bit when she was in grad school, and now she's helping a LOT now that it's my turn) - even with her very good salaries from multiple jobs and consulting AND having a good support network for childcare AND having me in school part-time so I could work and help raise the kids, we've had to budget intelligently to make it all work. Maybe COL is vastly different in FL as compared to DC where I am (obviously it is), but it is definitely a challenge.

Not having the tuition debt is nice, though - if your post-graduation career plans make it worth it, then going slightly into debt to cover living expenses might be OK.
That's kind of what I'm realizing. I'm north of dc right now and col is rough in this area. GI bill would give me 2100 a month in Boston or 1300 a month in Florida. I figure my wife would need to pull 40k with benefits to make Boston feasible without debt. Though the job prospects would certainly justify 40 grand in debt. Especially if other students are paying 40k a year just to be there
Are you aware that you can pay for benefits through the LS?

There are so many things that you can do to save money. With a little research you or your spouse can learn how to extreme coupon which can save thousands of dollars. Once you are good at it, you only spend about 15 minutes extra each day. You can turn a hobby (or learn a new one) into a money making side business. Many temp agencies hire for one time gigs. The Internet is full of great ideas for saving and making money when you are frugle.

thriller1122

Bronze

Post by thriller1122 » Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:55 am

OLitch wrote:
thriller1122 wrote:
Capitol_Idea wrote:My wife's the breadwinner while I'm in school (I helped a bit when she was in grad school, and now she's helping a LOT now that it's my turn) - even with her very good salaries from multiple jobs and consulting AND having a good support network for childcare AND having me in school part-time so I could work and help raise the kids, we've had to budget intelligently to make it all work. Maybe COL is vastly different in FL as compared to DC where I am (obviously it is), but it is definitely a challenge.

Not having the tuition debt is nice, though - if your post-graduation career plans make it worth it, then going slightly into debt to cover living expenses might be OK.
That's kind of what I'm realizing. I'm north of dc right now and col is rough in this area. GI bill would give me 2100 a month in Boston or 1300 a month in Florida. I figure my wife would need to pull 40k with benefits to make Boston feasible without debt. Though the job prospects would certainly justify 40 grand in debt. Especially if other students are paying 40k a year just to be there
Are you aware that you can pay for benefits through the LS?

There are so many things that you can do to save money. With a little research you or your spouse can learn how to extreme coupon which can save thousands of dollars. Once you are good at it, you only spend about 15 minutes extra each day. You can turn a hobby (or learn a new one) into a money making side business. Many temp agencies hire for one time gigs. The Internet is full of great ideas for saving and making money when you are frugle.
Thats some really good advice. I never thought about one-time jobs. I know that we can get benefits through the law school but Id rather have them taken care of. If that doesnt happen is the LS package worth it? Also, I always hear about couponing but never really got into it. Ill use them ocasionally and my wife is more dilligent with that than me. Looks like its time to start investing in learning the ways of the coupon? Also, I bought a shitload of lottery tickets (sarcasm)... hoping it pans out :wink:

kcdc1

Silver

Post by kcdc1 » Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:59 am

For those concerned about financing child care during LS, I'd add that my school has a partnership with a nearby daycare center where the school offers to pay a portion of the daycare expense dependent on family income. My wife earns a pretty decent salary, so my school only covers about 1/4 of the bill, but it helps. I don't know for sure that other LS's have programs like this, but I'd imagine it's something you could ask about when deciding between schools.

thetravelinglawyer

New

Post by thetravelinglawyer » Fri Dec 25, 2015 3:43 pm

Thanks for everyone who chimed in! I am keeping law school a secret until I make a final decision so I don't have anyone but my spouse to talk to about these things, so it is nice to have people who are in a similar place in their lives who get it! I did some soul searching after reading y'all's responses and decided to go for it. I know so many people who had kids in their 40s and they are having a blast, so I just need to get over my fear of it. Plus I know if I don't do it then I will always regret giving up. Plus I asked myself what kind of example I want to set for my future children, going to law school or skipping my dreams to have kids early.. And that is a pretty clear answer. So I am doing it!! I already got my acceptance to my top choice so I am putting down a seat deposit after the new year. Woohoo!! Thanks for the kick in the pants :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

PoopyPants

Bronze

Post by PoopyPants » Fri Dec 25, 2015 8:14 pm

thetravelinglawyer wrote:Thanks for everyone who chimed in! I am keeping law school a secret until I make a final decision so I don't have anyone but my spouse to talk to about these things, so it is nice to have people who are in a similar place in their lives who get it! I did some soul searching after reading y'all's responses and decided to go for it. I know so many people who had kids in their 40s and they are having a blast, so I just need to get over my fear of it. Plus I know if I don't do it then I will always regret giving up. Plus I asked myself what kind of example I want to set for my future children, going to law school or skipping my dreams to have kids early.. And that is a pretty clear answer. So I am doing it!! I already got my acceptance to my top choice so I am putting down a seat deposit after the new year. Woohoo!! Thanks for the kick in the pants :)
Congrats and good luck.

Sonar80

Bronze

Post by Sonar80 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:28 pm

It's really encouraging to read all your posts regarding going to LS with kids. I have a 5 yr old, and I was very nervous that I would alienate him or not have enough time to spend with him. Reading your posts, I feel much, much better.

I have a wife who will be working and paying for my bills. I'll have some money saved up, but she'll do the heavy lifting.

PINDENTO

New

Post by PINDENTO » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:55 am

30 seems like just yesterday, but I'm closer to 50

Before getting into any "Why would you ... ?" questions, I'm curious about opinions on whether T14/T1 law school adcom decisions are affected by applicant age when it comes to admissions/merit?

My recalc'd GPA is 3.7 after a repeated course and an NC - if I'd only known the impact back in the day!! :) ... and prepping for LSAT in June - I tend to test well, but not getting ahead of myself.

If 30 is "old" ... is T14 a no-go regardless of LSAT prep at my advanced age? or are they truly just looking for LSAT/GPA? I do have very solid softs, so to speak !

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:54 am

No, age doesn't make a difference for admissions - the focus on numbers is so strong that that's mostly what matters. I do think that an applicant gets more unusual (whether age or other things), other factors can play a bigger role, but your GPA is decent so you don't really need to worry about that. If your GPA is from a degree you earned at a traditional age, your LSAT may get greater scrutiny as a more accurate indication of your current abilities, but your admission is still primarily going to be about your numbers.

I think that you might be approaching an age that would give biglaw employers pause - I should add that I don't think biglaw employers have a problem with what looks "old" to someone who's 22 or 23, but you might get a bit of side-eye starting at/close to 50. You might not - it probably depends on whether the firm has hired non-trads in the past; some firms seem to like the shiny new K-JDs who are "energetic" and malleable, but if there are other non-trads/career-changers in a firm they'll likely be more open (assuming you have the other requirements for biglaw (grades/school pedigree)).

But of course you may not want biglaw, in which case I think age isn't really an issue in employment, either.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

elterrible78

Silver

Post by elterrible78 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:25 am

PINDENTO wrote:30 seems like just yesterday, but I'm closer to 50

Before getting into any "Why would you ... ?" questions, I'm curious about opinions on whether T14/T1 law school adcom decisions are affected by applicant age when it comes to admissions/merit?

My recalc'd GPA is 3.7 after a repeated course and an NC - if I'd only known the impact back in the day!! :) ... and prepping for LSAT in June - I tend to test well, but not getting ahead of myself.

If 30 is "old" ... is T14 a no-go regardless of LSAT prep at my advanced age? or are they truly just looking for LSAT/GPA? I do have very solid softs, so to speak !
At 37, I'm the oldest person in my class by three years, but when I was a 1L, there was a 3L in his mid 40s who landed just fine after school. I don't think T14 is a no-go at all. Also, I echo what A. Nony Mouse said...she's always on the money.

Sonar80

Bronze

Post by Sonar80 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:28 am

PINDENTO wrote:30 seems like just yesterday, but I'm closer to 50

Smash the LSAT and your odds of T14 go way up regardless of age. Also, from everything that I've read and heard, non-trads tend to do better in law school. At the end of the day Adcomms want someone who is going to succeed in school and continue to succeed afterwards. If the older crowd tends to do better statistically, then I think it may even give you a little bump.

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:34 am

There's at least one 1L here at GULC in the full-time program (and perhaps more in the PT program, but I never see those folks) who looks like he's in his 50s; he served in the military for several decades prior to law school

Nolachicken

Bronze

Post by Nolachicken » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:16 pm

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

PINDENTO

New

Post by PINDENTO » Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:06 pm

Hey folks ... thanks for the feedback. That's very encouraging.

I have another questions that should probably be posted elsewhere, but taking a shot here just in case.

Finally received the last of my transcripts to ensure no additional GPA recalculation surprises ... and there is one item that I'm just not 100% certain about. I'm being conservative and banking on it having a negative impact. I reached out to LSAC assigned advisor at UG but he seemed like he had no idea what I was talking about :). Wondering if there is something I can do/lobby to improve my chances before or after sending transcripts to LSAC

It's for a 3 credit CR/NC internship my final semester in college and being an old timer, I've long since missed the chance to petition a transcript change at my UG school.

Short story, an Acctg department internship I was hoping to land at my employer during that semester didn't end up happening. Was suggested not to sweat it (not officially, of course) since it wouldn't impact GPA and just to take any old summer course to finalize my BA requirements.

School transcript lists as a grade of NC (No Credit) and a footnote of O (Incomplete Grade Converted (Unfinished Course)), which sounds a lot like credit attempted but unearned.

I'm seeing cyclical logic on the LSAC web-site in the "Grades Excluded From Conversion" and "Failing Grades" sections. Any suggestions? Too bad/so sad? or is there hope not to average in an f'n F into my GPA calculation?

ouais_ouais

New

Post by ouais_ouais » Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:50 pm

Checking in...currently 31 but will be 32 when I attend. Shooting for 2016 but may delay if the $$$ isn't there. No kids and don't want them. Basically, came from a relatively poor background and wanted to pay off undergrad debt before considering anything else. Anyone else interested in PI?

njkga

Bronze

Post by njkga » Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:57 pm

Hey folks, checking in here and wanted to introduce myself/say hello.

I'm 37 and plan on (hopefully) entering law school this coming year.

I went to college right after high school but didn't graduate. Joined the army for nine years, then went back to school earning a bachelors in English and a masters in teacher. Since then, I've been a public school teacher for the past three years.

When I was young I always wanted to go to law school but sort of wrote it off after my horrible first college experience. Always wanted to get back on that track but wasn't really too sure of the likely-hood. On top of that, I wanted something that I finish before the GI bill ran out, and I knew I couldn't finish my undergrad and law school on the GI bill, so I took a "shorter" route at first so I could have some sort of financial security before heading back to another degree.

I don't know where I'll be attending yet since I only got my applications in this week, but I'm hopefully that my veteran status and work experiences give me a boost since even though my recent college grades were fantastic, my early (90's) grades were enough to keep my LSAC gpa solidly in the "mediocre" range.

Sonar80

Bronze

Post by Sonar80 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:02 am

PINDENTO wrote:Hey folks ... thanks for the feedback. That's very encouraging.

I have another questions that should probably be posted elsewhere, but taking a shot here just in case.

Finally received the last of my transcripts to ensure no additional GPA recalculation surprises ... and there is one item that I'm just not 100% certain about. I'm being conservative and banking on it having a negative impact. I reached out to LSAC assigned advisor at UG but he seemed like he had no idea what I was talking about :). Wondering if there is something I can do/lobby to improve my chances before or after sending transcripts to LSAC

It's for a 3 credit CR/NC internship my final semester in college and being an old timer, I've long since missed the chance to petition a transcript change at my UG school.

Short story, an Acctg department internship I was hoping to land at my employer during that semester didn't end up happening. Was suggested not to sweat it (not officially, of course) since it wouldn't impact GPA and just to take any old summer course to finalize my BA requirements.

School transcript lists as a grade of NC (No Credit) and a footnote of O (Incomplete Grade Converted (Unfinished Course)), which sounds a lot like credit attempted but unearned.

I'm seeing cyclical logic on the LSAC web-site in the "Grades Excluded From Conversion" and "Failing Grades" sections. Any suggestions? Too bad/so sad? or is there hope not to average in an f'n F into my GPA calculation?
I think if it was a non-credit class it doesn't count from what I've read around. I do not have a citation to back that up, however. You could call/email LSAC directly and ask them.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Sonar80

Bronze

Post by Sonar80 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:03 am

njkga wrote:Hey folks, checking in here and wanted to introduce myself/say hello.

I went to college right after high school but didn't graduate. Joined the army for nine years, then went back to school earning a bachelors in English and a masters in teacher. Since then, I've been a public school teacher for the past three years.

When I was young I always wanted to go to law school but sort of wrote it off after my horrible first college experience. Always wanted to get back on that track but wasn't really too sure of the likely-hood. On top of that, I wanted something that I finish before the GI bill ran out, and I knew I couldn't finish my undergrad and law school on the GI bill, so I took a "shorter" route at first so I could have some sort of financial security before heading back to another degree.

I don't know where I'll be attending yet since I only got my applications in this week, but I'm hopefully that my veteran status and work experiences give me a boost since even though my recent college grades were fantastic, my early (90's) grades were enough to keep my LSAC gpa solidly in the "mediocre" range.
Hey, if you haven't already, plug your numbers into Mylsn.info and it'll give you a REALLY good idea of where you're most likely to be accepted. It sort of removes a lot of mystery from the equation.

njkga

Bronze

Post by njkga » Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:32 pm

Sonar80 wrote:
njkga wrote:Hey folks, checking in here and wanted to introduce myself/say hello.

Hey, if you haven't already, plug your numbers into Mylsn.info and it'll give you a REALLY good idea of where you're most likely to be accepted. It sort of removes a lot of mystery from the equation.
I've done that, so I have a pretty good idea where my numbers alone can get me into - but I've heard mixed reports about the effect that my veterans status can have on the likelyhood of admissions/$$$.

Sonar80

Bronze

Post by Sonar80 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:38 am

njkga wrote:
Sonar80 wrote:

I've done that, so I have a pretty good idea where my numbers alone can get me into - but I've heard mixed reports about the effect that my veterans status can have on the likelyhood of admissions/$$$.

I too am curious about that, while I'm not a vet, I wonder if you guys/gals are getting a bump. Also, there has been quite a bit of discussion about turning the GI Bill into a living stipend by making it the first payer and then keeping what's left of your scholarship to live on. Have you had any luck with that?

thriller1122

Bronze

Post by thriller1122 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:41 am

Sonar80 wrote:
njkga wrote:
Sonar80 wrote:

I too am curious about that, while I'm not a vet, I wonder if you guys/gals are getting a bump. Also, there has been quite a bit of discussion about turning the GI Bill into a living stipend by making it the first payer and then keeping what's left of your scholarship to live on. Have you had any luck with that?
I got in at Florida and got 50%. I talked to financial aid and admissions and was able to get them to change it to a living stipend. You have to ask because initially the scholarship is tuition only. It depends on which school but it never hurts to ask.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

toomanymornings

New

Post by toomanymornings » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:47 am

Hey all. Is anyone headed to Cornell in the fall?

I'm 31 and, while I'm really excited about law school, I went to admitted students' day at Cornell and I felt pretty old.

TheProdigal

Silver

Post by TheProdigal » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:01 am

toomanymornings wrote:Hey all. Is anyone headed to Cornell in the fall?

I'm 31 and, while I'm really excited about law school, I went to admitted students' day at Cornell and I felt pretty old.
I'm 31 and on reserve at Cornell. Heading up there soon for a visit, maybe they give me good news.

toomanymornings

New

Post by toomanymornings » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:03 am

TheProdigal wrote:
toomanymornings wrote:Hey all. Is anyone headed to Cornell in the fall?

I'm 31 and on reserve at Cornell. Heading up there soon for a visit, maybe they give me good news.
Cool. Enjoy the visit, it's a beautiful campus. Good luck!

Eternalsunshine

New

Post by Eternalsunshine » Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:31 pm

Checking in! I'm a 33 y/o veteran, spouse, and parent, starting 1L in the fall. I feel old sometimes, and worry a bit about finding a good school/family balance, but I'm looking forward to school. Very glad to come across this thread!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”