Is Cardozo significantly better than Brooklyn....

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Robespierre

Re: Is Cardozo significantly better than Brooklyn....

Postby Robespierre » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:32 am

Out of Dozo and Brooklyn, or St. John's or Hofstra for that matter, go to the one that offers you the best combination of scholarship and stipulations. There's not a dramatic difference in quality or job prospects among them.

The tough market actually makes this choice easier. In the glory days, you could argue that Dozo gave you a marginally better chance at high-paying law firm work, with Brooklyn just behind and the other two another step behind. Now, you'll be a long shot from any of them if you're not at the very top of the class. So just follow the money.

phonepro

Postby phonepro » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:36 am

Although this is produced by the school, there is no saying it isn't reliable. You can go to the firm's websites and find the hires. 20.4% of the 2009 graduating class was hired a top firms. So graduate in the top 20% and go to BLS. :)

List of 2009 BLS students hired at top firms: http://wwy.brooklaw.edu/site/images/BLS ... ent3-2.pdf

Post on BLS website: http://www.brooklaw.edu/Admissions/news ... tnews.aspx

SupraVln180

Postby SupraVln180 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:40 am

Brooklyn has a better alumni network, Cardozo is "up and coming" (for like fifteen years now!). I wouldn't recommend going to either. Seriously, retake.

Stringer6

Postby Stringer6 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:49 am

http://wwy.brooklaw.edu/site/images/BLS-09_Large_Firm_Employment3-2.pdf

how can this be true?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:42 pm

Stringer6 wrote:

how can this be true?

Because the class that graduated in 2009 did OCI back in 2007 before the crash.

If only 20% were getting biglaw pre-ITE, I shudder to imagine how many are getting it now.

thexfactor

Postby thexfactor » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:52 pm

bk1 wrote:
Stringer6 wrote:

how can this be true?

Because the class that graduated in 2009 did OCI back in 2007 before the crash.

If only 20% were getting biglaw pre-ITE, I shudder to imagine how many are getting it now.

sigh... i don't even know why i bother warning people about attending T1/T2 law schools.

It s basically like talking to a wall. They only take in the information they want to hear.

Stringer6

Postby Stringer6 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:55 pm

sigh... i don't even know why i bother warning people about attending T1/T2 law schools.

i give you permission to stop. you are officially off duty.

androstan

Postby androstan » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:00 pm

Brooklyn's actually better, being ranked 10 spots higher. http://www.cooley.edu/rankings/overall2010.html

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:41 pm

thexfactor wrote:sigh... i don't even know why i bother warning people about attending T1/T2 law schools.

It s basically like talking to a wall. They only take in the information they want to hear.

As someone who actually heeded the warning (I almost went to a T2), I am thankful for people who warn others in spite of the fact that they won't listen 99% of the time.

Keep fighting the good fight.

phonepro

Postby phonepro » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:48 pm

i go to brooklyn and i have a 1l summer associate position at a ny firm. bye!

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:51 pm

phonepro wrote:i go to brooklyn and i have a 1l summer associate position at a ny firm. bye!

I hear this one guy won the lottery. Considering that, I think I am going to go buy myself a lotto ticket. Bye!

jjlaw

Postby jjlaw » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:14 pm

A friend of mine from college is a 2L and recently secured a summer assoc position with a V30 firm through BLS's OCI. I don't know about his class rank. We also went to a notable school in NYC, so that might have helped. Just food for thought.

blsingindisguise

Postby blsingindisguise » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:01 am

jjlaw wrote:A friend of mine from college is a 2L and recently secured a summer assoc position with a V30 firm through BLS's OCI. I don't know about his class rank. We also went to a notable school in NYC, so that might have helped. Just food for thought.

There will always be some students in any given year at BLS who secure V100, V50, even V5 firms. According to what was posted above, at its peak it might have been 20% of the class, but remember that was the peak of a massive financial bubble. It subsequently shrank to 10% and then 5%. Perhaps it will eventually get back to 10%. Not exactly great odds.

Stringer6

Postby Stringer6 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:59 am

It subsequently shrank to 10% and then 5%.

i saw the data (in the link above) that supports 20% in boom times. can you please link me to the data that supports 5%?

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:11 am

TTH wrote:Rutgers.

This.

jjlaw wrote:A friend of mine from college is a 2L and recently secured a summer assoc position with a V30 firm through BLS's OCI. I don't know about his class rank. We also went to a notable school in NYC, so that might have helped. Just food for thought.

Oy.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:23 am

It might not be down to 5%, but it's probably closer to 5% than 15% that is for sure.

blsingindisguise

Postby blsingindisguise » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:25 am

Stringer6 wrote:
It subsequently shrank to 10% and then 5%.

i saw the data (in the link above) that supports 20% in boom times. can you please link me to the data that supports 5%?

I'm basing this on what I know of my own class. There is no such data released yet. I can tell you that I based my estimate on speaking with numerous people who were in the top 10% but not the top 5% who did not get biglaw summer associateships, as well as the high number of Law Review students without biglaw, and the career center's own estimate that only 20% of the class will be employed AT ALL on graduation.

Stringer6

Postby Stringer6 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:56 am

the career center's own estimate that only 20% of the class will be employed AT ALL on graduation.

i was admitted to brooklyn this year. probably won't be attending. but if i call the career center and ask if they said this to the current graduating class, they will say yes?

I'm basing this on what I know of my own class. There is no such data released yet. I can tell you that I based my estimate on speaking with numerous people who were in the top 10% but not the top 5% who did not get biglaw summer associateships, as well as the high number of Law Review students without biglaw

i'm curious about the numbers.

blsingindisguise

Postby blsingindisguise » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:52 am

The 20% figure came from a single career counselor, so I don't think it's an official line. But i would be curious to see what the center says if you call and ask. If you do it let me know.

I can't give you exact numbers on what I'm describing because they're from estimates I did a while back based on law review lists of where people were doing their summer associateships. I can tell you that I've talked to people from prior class years who said that someone with my class rank and law review would have been basically guaranteed a large firm summer associate position in prior years, and that meanwhile I and a lot of other high ranked students with law review did not get them this year. I can also tell you that almost everyone I know does not have a job lined up, especially the people who aren't on law review.

It's not brooklyn-specific. You're going to find the same thing at virtually any lower T1/T2 right now.

abeswick

Postby abeswick » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:10 pm

I've never posted on this site, but as a Cardozo student, I wanted to provide my insight on Cardozo's alumni network. I secured a job at a large NY law firm for my upcoming 2L summer. I am not top 10% or on law review, but was able to get a great job using Cardozo's enthusiastic alumni network. Because the school is so young and it continues to do better and better, the alumni are extremely excited - and really want to help out current student. I obviously cannot speak to the alumni at other schools, but in my experience, the alumni network at Cardozo is incredible - they are really pushing for the school and go above and beyond to help students.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:32 pm

abeswick wrote:I've never posted on this site, but as a Cardozo student, I wanted to provide my insight on Cardozo's alumni network. I secured a job at a large NY law firm for my upcoming 2L summer. I am not top 10% or on law review, but was able to get a great job using Cardozo's enthusiastic alumni network. Because the school is so young and it continues to do better and better, the alumni are extremely excited - and really want to help out current student. I obviously cannot speak to the alumni at other schools, but in my experience, the alumni network at Cardozo is incredible - they are really pushing for the school and go above and beyond to help students.

Outted as 'Dozo admissions employee.

blsingindisguise

Postby blsingindisguise » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:34 pm

Seriously. No explanation of how this vague "alumni network" led to a job or what kind of firm it was.

YourCaptain

Postby YourCaptain » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:39 pm

abeswick wrote:I've never posted on this site, but as a Cardozo student, I wanted to provide my insight on Cardozo's alumni network. I secured a job at a large NY law firm for my upcoming 2L summer. I am not top 10% or on law review, but was able to get a great job using Cardozo's enthusiastic alumni network. Because the school is so young and it continues to do better and better, the alumni are extremely excited - and really want to help out current student. I obviously cannot speak to the alumni at other schools, but in my experience, the alumni network at Cardozo is incredible - they are really pushing for the school and go above and beyond to help students.

My goodness Cardozo CSO, you must have quite a bit of free time!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”