Fordham (full sticker) vs. Cardozo (full ride)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
sampras13
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:47 pm

Fordham (full sticker) vs. Cardozo (full ride)

Postby sampras13 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:52 pm

I am not exactly sure what I want to do after I graduate but i have not ruled out big law and feel confident that I could find something even if I go to fordham (not so sure about Cardozo). Either way, what do you guys think?

Aqualibrium
Posts: 2011
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:57 am

Re: Fordham (full sticker) vs. Cardozo (full ride)

Postby Aqualibrium » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:58 pm

Standard advice in this situation: Fordham is not what it once was as a result of ITE. Going into high six figure debt is probably not worth the approximately 20 or so percent increase in big law prospects you'll get by going to Fordham at sticker over Dozo with a full ride.

That said, I suppose it's a personal decision. You have to weigh the likelihood that you'll lose that Dozo scholarship and end up paying sticker there for two years. What's the stipulation?

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18422
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Fordham (full sticker) vs. Cardozo (full ride)

Postby bk1 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:02 pm

I'd say probably Cardozo if you can get the stips removed from your scholly.

sampras13
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:47 pm

Re: Fordham (full sticker) vs. Cardozo (full ride)

Postby sampras13 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:04 pm

I dont know, I just listened to a message on my phone and they didnt say anything about stipulations.

User avatar
Lawquacious
Posts: 2037
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:36 am

Re: Fordham (full sticker) vs. Cardozo (full ride)

Postby Lawquacious » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:06 pm

Cardozo.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18422
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Fordham (full sticker) vs. Cardozo (full ride)

Postby bk1 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:07 pm

sampras13 wrote:I dont know, I just listened to a message on my phone and they didnt say anything about stipulations.


There probably are. Either ask them or wait until the mail packet arrives.

dakatz
Posts: 2460
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:19 pm

Re: Fordham (full sticker) vs. Cardozo (full ride)

Postby dakatz » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:13 pm

bk1 wrote:
sampras13 wrote:I dont know, I just listened to a message on my phone and they didnt say anything about stipulations.


There probably are. Either ask them or wait until the mail packet arrives.


Cardozo gave me full scholarship last year when I applied. There was a tiered system for keeping the scholarship with various threshold figures. I don't remember what they were, but they gave a figure that allowed you to keep 100% scholly, 75%, 50%, etc.

User avatar
reasonable_man
Posts: 2200
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:41 pm

Re: Fordham (full sticker) vs. Cardozo (full ride)

Postby reasonable_man » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:15 pm

Try to leverage a schollarship out of Fordham using the money from Carshmozo. If that doesn't work, go to schmozo. Fordham is not that much better; its not worth it to turn down full tuition at Schmozo.

concurrent fork
Posts: 669
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:40 am

Re: Fordham (full sticker) vs. Cardozo (full ride)

Postby concurrent fork » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:16 pm

Take the full ride. Oh, and retake.

dakatz
Posts: 2460
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:19 pm

Re: Fordham (full sticker) vs. Cardozo (full ride)

Postby dakatz » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:17 pm

Personally, I don't think the schools are so monumentally different to warrant the additional 120K+ or so in additional money you would be paying.

IsleMet
Posts: 162
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:06 pm

Re: Fordham (full sticker) vs. Cardozo (full ride)

Postby IsleMet » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:06 pm

I'm in the exact same situation. I'm still waiting on a bunch of schools, but I do want to be in NYC ultimately.

My logic:
200k of debt at Fordham = Paying back $835 monthly for 20 years. I'm not sure I can stomach that because I want to practice in the Public Interest sector.

But, another part of me wants to go to the best school that I get into.

Very hard decision, but I think I'm capable of being in the top 10% of my class, so this would make me lean towards Cardozo because I would still have job opportunities (not that I have anyway of knowing for sure how I'll do, but I plan on working my butt off).

Aqualibrium
Posts: 2011
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:57 am

Re: Fordham (full sticker) vs. Cardozo (full ride)

Postby Aqualibrium » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:09 pm

IsleMet wrote:But, another part of me wants to go to the best school that I get into.

Very hard decision, but I think I'm capable of being in the top 10% of my class.


Must be the foolhardy/naive part of you that said both of these things.

And hey hey hey! Calm down! (Just doing that in advance, people on the internet get so riled up)
You've got a lot of stuff still coming in like you said, but IMO, under no circumstance is it a sensible decision to take Fordham at sticker over a full ride at Dozo (well I shouldnt say that, if your parents or your job are paying, have a field day...).

IsleMet
Posts: 162
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:06 pm

Re: Fordham (full sticker) vs. Cardozo (full ride)

Postby IsleMet » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:23 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:
IsleMet wrote:But, another part of me wants to go to the best school that I get into.

Very hard decision, but I think I'm capable of being in the top 10% of my class.


Must be the foolhardy/naive part of you that said both of these things.

And hey hey hey! Calm down! (Just doing that in advance, people on the internet get so riled up)
You've got a lot of stuff still coming in like you said, but IMO, under no circumstance is it a sensible decision to take Fordham at sticker over a full ride at Dozo (well I shouldnt say that, if your parents or your job are paying, have a field day...).


Shut up stupid!!! just kidding... :)

I did say "I think" and that I really "have no way of knowing" in order to tone down what I was saying.

I agree, full ride vs. sticker...no way I'd pay sticker. I'm crossing my fingers for need based aid or possibly negotiating some sort of scholarship from Fordham. I guess I'll have to wait until March/April before I need to make any real decisions.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18422
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Fordham (full sticker) vs. Cardozo (full ride)

Postby bk1 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:24 pm

IsleMet wrote:I'm crossing my fingers for need based.


Thankfully you're not holding your breath, otherwise you'd be dead long before you ever entered law school.

User avatar
MrPapagiorgio
Posts: 1747
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:36 am

Re: Fordham (full sticker) vs. Cardozo (full ride)

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:32 pm

reasonable_man wrote:Try to leverage a schollarship out of Fordham using the money from Carshmozo. If that doesn't work, go to schmozo. Fordham is not that much better; its not worth it to turn down full tuition at Schmozo.


This.

sampras13
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:47 pm

Re: Fordham (full sticker) vs. Cardozo (full ride)

Postby sampras13 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:34 pm

and how exactly does one go about doing this?

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18422
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Fordham (full sticker) vs. Cardozo (full ride)

Postby bk1 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:35 pm

sampras13 wrote:and how exactly does one go about doing this?

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=79373

IsleMet
Posts: 162
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:06 pm

Re: Fordham (full sticker) vs. Cardozo (full ride)

Postby IsleMet » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:36 pm

bk1 wrote:
IsleMet wrote:I'm crossing my fingers for need based.


Thankfully you're not holding your breath, otherwise you'd be dead long before you ever entered law school.



Haha, so I've been told. I'm hoping my expected family contribution of 0 and undergrad debt nets me something. Maybe they'll be willing to negotiate scholarship :) ...I'm trying to be optimistic here!




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest