Car or no car?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
quidestveritas

Car or no car?

Postby quidestveritas » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:25 pm

Ok so I am getting ahead of myself as I have yet to take the Lsat and I am probably going to grad school first but at which of the following schools would a car be necessary as my current vehicle is an old Volvo that would not make it up there?(I understand I would be mad to have a car at NYC schools)

BU/BC/Northeastern-
Cornell-
U Michigan-
Georgetown/GW-
NU-
??

Aqualibrium

Re: Car or no car?

Postby Aqualibrium » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:35 pm

quidestveritas wrote:Ok so I am getting ahead of myself as I have yet to take the Lsat and I am probably going to grad school first but at which of the following schools would a car be necessary as my current vehicle is an old Volvo that would not make it up there?(I understand I would be mad to have a car at NYC schools)

BU/BC/Northeastern- My Havahd friends always bitch about needing a car in Boston, but they are just New York snobs.
Cornell- I think the Nard Dog has an Xterra for sale
U Michigan- I know people with no car who survive, but I don't know enough about Ann Arbor
Georgetown/GW- No Car
NU- I dunno
??

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:37 pm

You definitely don't need a car for DC.

Metro = Win!

bostonian

Postby bostonian » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:29 pm

I have my car at Northwestern because I go insane if I don't have access to a car. That said, the majority of my classmates don't and you definitely don't need to have one. Transit here is reliable - the L goes everywhere and the two longest lines run 24 hours.

For Boston schools, I'd probably advise against bringing a car. It's not as bad as New York, but it's not a particularly car-friendly city either.

JaLeCa

Postby JaLeCa » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:12 pm

You need your car at any school in the midwest. Yuck. If I lived in-city NYC, I wouldn't bother...any other large metro area I would park it.

bigwillie

Postby bigwillie » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:20 pm

I've lived in Boston and Ithaca. For Boston, you definitely don't need a car. The T can be a pain in the ass, but I would imagine finding parking would be more difficult.
While I was in Ithaca, I had a car, but it probably wasn't necessary. There are buses that run from the Cornell campus down to where the Wegman's and Tops supermarkets are, and most of the essential stuff you would need you can find on the Cornell campus. If you want to live further away from Campus, then a car would probably become more convenient/necessary. A lot of the student apartments in Ithaca are houses that have been converted into apartments, so many of these come with a driveway and a parking space, which makes having a car there pretty easy.

NayBoer

Postby NayBoer » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:20 pm

Go to NU. I sold my car after I drove it here from California. I couldn't afford the parking garage and insurance fees. I don't really need it, though. The grocery store is like a block and a half away. School is a few blocks from here. There are a lot of restaurants in the area. Plus, there are several different bus routes that have stops basically right outside the door.

bostonian

Postby bostonian » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:07 am

JaLeCa wrote:You need your car at any school in the midwest. Yuck.

You clearly don't live in Chicago.

mths

Postby mths » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:11 am

You don't need a car at cornell. A lot of people bring cars and it's really easy to catch rides to grocery stores and such. Otherwise, everything is walking distance and even if you live off-campus, there are buses that go all over campus. It's also super easy to get to NYC by a bus that leaves like 6 times a day and gets to the city in 4.5 hours. Unless you want to make a lot of trips home and you live within driving distance, I wouldn't say a car is in any way necessary.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”