Penn State Law

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
JDHopeful

Penn State Law

Postby JDHopeful » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:31 am

How do we feel about the value of a JD/MBA from Penn State-Dickinson?

Is it worth it? What are the job prospects in PA and, more specifically, the Philly area for a Penn State Grad?

Concept

Re: Penn State Law

Postby Concept » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:35 am

JDHopeful wrote:How do we feel about the value of a JD/MBA from Penn State-Dickinson?

Is it worth it? What are the job prospects in PA and, more specifically, the Philly area for a Penn State Grad?

Penn State does have mid-law penetration in the Philadelphia market. Don't let anyone tell you it doesn't. It isn't nearly as good as Villanova or Temple, but there are many Dickinson alumni working in Philly. If you know you want to work in Philly, though, you need to devote all your summers working there to give you the best connections.

However, PSU's main regional pull is in Harrisburg/York/Lancaster, etc.. Temple/Villanova grads dominate Philly.

JDHopeful

Postby JDHopeful » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:42 am

Concept wrote:
JDHopeful wrote:How do we feel about the value of a JD/MBA from Penn State-Dickinson?

Penn State does have mid-law penetration in the Philadelphia market. Don't let anyone tell you it doesn't. It isn't nearly as good as Villanova or Temple, but there are many Dickinson alumni working in Philly. If you know you want to work in Philly, though, you need to devote all your summers working there to give you the best connections.

However, PSU's main regional pull is in Harrisburg/York/Lancaster, etc.. Temple/Villanova grads dominate Philly.

Yea, thats the general consensus I've been hearing. Thanks for the input. I'm still waiting on Temple, Nova, and Rutgers-Camden, so, we'll see how that goes...

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:18 pm

Concept wrote:Temple/Villanova grads dominate Philly.

dr allen pearl

Postby dr allen pearl » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:26 pm

johnnyutah wrote:

is the difference between Nova and Temple that huge? (asking sincerely). From what I've looked at, Temple only has (roughly) 1-2% > share of jobs at nlj250 firms.

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:30 pm

dr allen pearl wrote:
johnnyutah wrote:

is the difference between Nova and Temple that huge? (asking sincerely). From what I've looked at, Temple only has (roughly) 1-2% > share of jobs at nlj250 firms.

Outside of BigLaw Temple owns Philadelphia, and you don't go to Temple, Villanova or Penn State for BigLaw.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:32 pm

johnnyutah wrote:

Section141

Postby Section141 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:39 pm

Is there a specific area of law Temple dominates Nova? My decision will likely come down to Temple and Nova, and I want to go into corporate law of some sorts and stay in Philly, so just curious.

JDHopeful

Postby JDHopeful » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:09 am

Section141 wrote:Is there a specific area of law Temple dominates Nova? My decision will likely come down to Temple and Nova, and I want to go into corporate law of some sorts and stay in Philly, so just curious.

What are your numbers, btw? Have you been accepted to either of the two?

seespotrun

Postby seespotrun » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:15 am

dr allen pearl wrote:
johnnyutah wrote:

There is hardly a noticeable difference between the two. Temple graduates more students every year, but the placement percentages are almost exactly the same across the board. Your decision between the two schools should not be a function of placement differentials.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:47 am

seespotrun wrote:
dr allen pearl wrote:
johnnyutah wrote:

There is hardly a noticeable difference between the two. Temple graduates more students every year, but the placement percentages are almost exactly the same across the board. Your decision between the two schools should not be a function of placement differentials.

Where are these placement numbers? They show placement inside of Philadelphia?

Section141

Postby Section141 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:04 pm

JDHopeful wrote:
Section141 wrote:Is there a specific area of law Temple dominates Nova? My decision will likely come down to Temple and Nova, and I want to go into corporate law of some sorts and stay in Philly, so just curious.

What are your numbers, btw? Have you been accepted to either of the two?

Accepted at both with 162/3.6. Nova gave me 20k/yr with 3.15 GPA req, making cost equal since I'm in-state. I'm leaning toward Nova now.

Sorry to get off topic btw, just realized this is a PSU thread, not a Temple vs Nova one.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:13 pm

Section141 wrote:Accepted at both with 162/3.6. Nova gave me 20k/yr with 3.15 GPA req, making cost equal since I'm in-state. I'm leaning toward Nova now.

Sorry to get off topic btw, just realized this is a PSU thread, not a Temple vs Nova one.

What's the median GPA at nova?

Section141

Postby Section141 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:07 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Section141 wrote:Accepted at both with 162/3.6. Nova gave me 20k/yr with 3.15 GPA req, making cost equal since I'm in-state. I'm leaning toward Nova now.

What's the median GPA at nova?

I believe it's 3.3, but that's without looking. Median LSAT is 162. Seems my scholly is half decent then? I was thrilled to see it in the envelope.

dr allen pearl

Postby dr allen pearl » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:10 pm

medians:
gpa 3.33
lsat 160

Section141

Postby Section141 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:13 pm

dr allen pearl wrote:medians:
gpa 3.33
lsat 160

I was 1 for 2. Oops.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:32 pm

I mean what's the law school GPA so you can figure out the probability of keeping the scholly.

ETA: you should look into it. If you end up not losing it, then Temple would be a much better choice. If they curve to a 3.0 you are going to stress yourself out for keeping the money since it's finals or nothing.

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:57 pm

I'd consider Temple very strongly. If you don't find something at OCI, then networking will be everything, and Temple's alumni network is huge, active and extremely influential in Philadelphia.

Section141

Postby Section141 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:45 pm

johnnyutah wrote:

I'd consider Temple very strongly. If you don't find something at OCI, then networking will be everything, and Temple's alumni network is huge, active and extremely influential in Philadelphia.

Definitely am. My decision is between Nova and Temple. If Temple offered money, it may push it over, and I only say I like Nova better because I live 10 minutes from campus and I feel more comfortable there.

I know Temple has a larger alumni base, but I'd guess Nova's is still pretty big in Philly?

Section141

Postby Section141 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:47 pm

r6_philly wrote:I mean what's the law school GPA so you can figure out the probability of keeping the scholly.

ETA: you should look into it. If you end up not losing it, then Temple would be a much better choice. If they curve to a 3.0 you are going to stress yourself out for keeping the money since it's finals or nothing.

Where would I find this kind of info? The idea of curving to 3.0 scares the *#$% out of me, I'd feel a ton better of Nova made their scholly offer free of contingencies.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:33 am

Our median GPA is a 3.25 here.

tarp

Postby tarp » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:41 pm

This might be slightly off topic, but don't forget to consider Drexel if you want to work in Philly and don't necessarily want to work for a large corporate law firm. I am a 2L at Drexel and our clinical opportunities and professors are fantastic. I have already had the opportunity to represent clients in immigration and criminal appeals. We also have many practical courses taught by adjunct faculty; for example right now I am taking an immigration litigation course taught by one of the top immigration practitioners in Philadelphia, who was recently appointed as an immigration judge. Our administration thinks outside the box and offers courses like "Starting and Managing a Law Practice" which is giving me ideas and direction on how to launch my career as a solo or small firm partner. We also have specialization tracks available in IP and Health Law.

Most of our faculty members have an open door policy and are very helpful by e-mail or in office hours. Our administrators are very approachable and try to work our creative solutions. For example, you can take self-guided study courses in topics not offered by the law school. Our legal writing program is 100% taught and graded by the professors - not by 3Ls. We also have upper level writing requirements that are tied to courses or clinics, rather than generic required upper-level writing courses, a major complaint I hear from people at some other law schools. Trust me, you don't want to spend 4 semesters in Legal Writing class. It's much better when it's tied to something REAL like a clinic or something you care about like a specific area of law you want to study.

The location is also pretty awesome, right on Market Street with a SEPTA subway line right outside the law school and just a couple blocks from the heart of the Penn campus which is very happening with lots of bars, restaurants, etc. You can be in Center City in a few minutes on the SEPTA or a 10-15 minute walk.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:43 pm

tarp wrote:This might be slightly off topic, but don't forget to consider Drexel if you want to work in Philly and don't necessarily want to work for a large corporate law firm. I am a 2L at Drexel and our clinical opportunities and professors are fantastic. I have already had the opportunity to represent clients in immigration and criminal appeals. We also have many practical courses taught by adjunct faculty; for example right now I am taking an immigration litigation course taught by one of the top immigration practitioners in Philadelphia, who was recently appointed as an immigration judge. Our administration thinks outside the box and offers courses like "Starting and Managing a Law Practice" which is giving me ideas and direction on how to launch my career as a solo or small firm partner. We also have specialization tracks available in IP and Health Law.

Most of our faculty members have an open door policy and are very helpful by e-mail or in office hours. Our administrators are very approachable and try to work our creative solutions. For example, you can take self-guided study courses in topics not offered by the law school. Our legal writing program is 100% taught and graded by the professors - not by 3Ls. We also have upper level writing requirements that are tied to courses or clinics, rather than generic required upper-level writing courses, a major complaint I hear from people at some other law schools. Trust me, you don't want to spend 4 semesters in Legal Writing class. It's much better when it's tied to something REAL like a clinic or something you care about like a specific area of law you want to study.

The location is also pretty awesome, right on Market Street with a SEPTA subway line right outside the law school and just a couple blocks from the heart of the Penn campus which is very happening with lots of bars, restaurants, etc. You can be in Center City in a few minutes on the SEPTA or a 10-15 minute walk.

FTFY (sorry for being a douchebag, but I'm right)

kk19131

Postby kk19131 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:49 pm

Drexel?

I hear grads from there can't get jobs...

... they did give me a $32,000 scholarship offer though... :lol:

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:56 pm

kk19131 wrote:Drexel?

I hear grads from there can't get jobs...

... they did give me a $32,000 scholarship offer though... :lol:

I got a full ride, but I opted for Villanova. Very happy with the decision (that might change when we get grades this week though :oops:)

Return to “Choosing a Law School”