Moving to a new city

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
JaLeCa

Moving to a new city

Postby JaLeCa » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:26 pm

Jumping the gun a little, but I have questions during all this waiting...

If you are moving out of state to a school, when is the best time to go search for apartments and how long should you spend in that city? Anyone have a moving experience- I know finding an apartment is way different than moving into a dorm.

patrickd139

Re: Moving to a new city

Postby patrickd139 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:31 pm

JaLeCa wrote:Removed. OP is moving to a new city.

This depends entirely on (most importantly) which city you're moving to, how much of your life you're taking with you, how much time you have to move, and how much money you have to spend on the move.

Edited to remove OP quote.

JaLeCa

Postby JaLeCa » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:34 pm

not close. Most of the prospects are approx 600-700 miles. I didn't know if it was a good idea to move blindly without checking out a place in person, or looking at options physically in town.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:36 pm

JaLeCa wrote:not close. Most of the prospects are approx 600-700 miles. I didn't know if it was a good idea to move blindly without checking out a place in person, or looking at options physically in town.

Still didn't answer the most important question. Moving to NYC is much different from moving to Lubbock.

Also, generally not a good idea to move without looking at a place in person. Generally.

JaLeCa

Postby JaLeCa » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:37 pm

I know I really want to be in DC/Maryland. If that's where I get in, that's where I'll be. I'm expecting a lowly 2-3k for the move from ATL.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:12 am

JaLeCa wrote:I know I really want to be in DC/Maryland. If that's where I get in, that's where I'll be. I'm expecting a lowly 2-3k for the move from ATL.

$2-3k probably won't pay for professional movers, so I'll assume you'll be trucking it. Moving to DC and moving to MD are also pretty dissimilar, but I'd highly recommend against committing and moving to a place without seeing it first. That's just general advice wherever you move.

As for DC, I didn't end up moving there, but did spend quite a bit of time looking at the housing market this summer when considering transferring. First, housing is either really expensive, or really far away from where you want to go. Start with craigslist and go from there, but I'd say you should at least make the trek up and see how far you're willing to commute to get the right price point and amenities. This is usually an incredibly personal decision. I was perfectly willing to pay $1800/mo to live in the district and not have to commute to GULC. Some people aren't so willing to "throw away money."

I know nothing about MD, so I won't pretend like I do.

Hope this helps a little.

northwood

Postby northwood » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:21 am

When I first moved to another city, I spend a week in my new city searching for apartments, researching the area, where the shops are, the sites are, seeing the residents of the areas as well as doing some basic exploring. I will be re locating to another city for law school, so I will be planning another weeklong trip in may at the latest, and starting the search. The nice thing about this, is I have a resource in the school ( to be determined) about finding an apartment. As for the actual move in, Im planning on moving in one week before orientation to get all settled in, and to explore the place before school starts. If you are just moving yourself, you can either pack your car and get a furnished apt ( or get basic furniture in town and pack your car) or make multiple trips ( depending on distance, however). If you are moving cross country, i would suggest selling as much as possible, and purchasing what you need in town to keep the costs down.

Just make sure to check out the apartment in person as well as the neighborhood. You want to live in a safe place, with a reputable landlord/ agency.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:39 am

DEFINITELY go in person to check out apartments. My cousin got scammed on craigslist for an apartment because he did it all through email without actually going to check it out in person. He got to a whole new city with all of his stuff and his key to the apartment didn't even work. Got his money back after but still, go in person and save yourself the trouble.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:03 am

Moved to a new city for law school. Had been there only once for ASW and didn't remember anything. Rented an apt. from a reputable company without looking at it first. There wasn't enough time. I looked up what amenities were close by on the 'net and did some cursory research via the nets and talking to people I knew at school. Just loaded up the pickup and went.

HTH

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:46 pm

i just found a realtor through craigslist and had him locate apartments for me. i ended up with a place i (sort of) liked. definitely check things out first hand if you can, but if you're in a bind, it's not the end of the world.

krad

Postby krad » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:52 pm

To mirror the sentiment ITT: I've moved for work a few times, once to a new city without any visits. I went with a reputable apt complex like RadLaw and was fine with it. My friend used an apartment finding company when she moved coast to coast for grad school and they found her a great NYC apartment with a steal deal in a safe area 5 blocks from her school. Many people have to move without really having a chance to figure everything out beforehand and it works out.

Edit: woah grammar failz today

JaLeCa

Postby JaLeCa » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:05 pm

Thanks for all the input guys. Never considered pro movers ($$$). If I can take a week to stay in city before I move there, that would be awesome.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”