Not sure if I'm applying to the right schools Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
maggiejeter

New

Not sure if I'm applying to the right schools

Post by maggiejeter » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:10 am

Hi everyone,
I'm really new to the whole law school application process, as I just decided I wanted to go through with applying in October. I took the December LSAT and am still waiting for my score. I had scored a 162 on a practice test, but I left a bunch blank because I wanted to see how I did without guessing. Unfortunately, I was very rushed and challenged by the December LSAT, so I am unsure of how well I was able to do. I have applied to a bunch of schools already even though my file has not been sent because of the missing scores. I wanted to make sure to get the apps in asap because I will not be able to attend most schools without a significant scholarship. I am hoping to receive a merit scholarship covering most of my expenses, so I applied to schools all over the spectrum to cover my bases in case my LSAT score is not as high as I am hoping. I have always been a good test taker, but I am very worried. I have a 3.95 GPA. If anyone can tell me what my chances might be at merit money at some of the schools I have applied to, or suggestions for schools that give a lot of aid, I would really appreciate it. Here is my list so far. I really have no idea where I want to live or practice law, so my list is kind of all over the place.

U Buffalo, Syracuse, UVA, Lewis & Clark, Cardozo, Stetson, Temple, Brooklyn, Hofstra, USD

gbpackerbacker

Silver

Re: Not sure if I'm applying to the right schools

Post by gbpackerbacker » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:18 am

maggiejeter wrote:Hi everyone,
I'm really new to the whole law school application process, as I just decided I wanted to go through with applying in October. I took the December LSAT and am still waiting for my score. I had scored a 162 on a practice test, but I left a bunch blank because I wanted to see how I did without guessing. Unfortunately, I was very rushed and challenged by the December LSAT, so I am unsure of how well I was able to do. I have applied to a bunch of schools already even though my file has not been sent because of the missing scores. I wanted to make sure to get the apps in asap because I will not be able to attend most schools without a significant scholarship. I am hoping to receive a merit scholarship covering most of my expenses, so I applied to schools all over the spectrum to cover my bases in case my LSAT score is not as high as I am hoping. I have always been a good test taker, but I am very worried. I have a 3.95 GPA. If anyone can tell me what my chances might be at merit money at some of the schools I have applied to, or suggestions for schools that give a lot of aid, I would really appreciate it. Here is my list so far. I really have no idea where I want to live or practice law, so my list is kind of all over the place.

U Buffalo, Syracuse, UVA, Lewis & Clark, Cardozo, Stetson, Temple, Brooklyn, Hofstra, USD
Update this with your score in the next few days and we can give you some real advice....

StateSchoolSplitter

Bronze

Post by StateSchoolSplitter » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:46 am

Serious question: why are you going to law school?

maggiejeter

New

Post by maggiejeter » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:59 am

Because I want to be a lawyer... I thought that was the reason to go.

I'm just not sure where/what type of law I want to practice. I'm interested in a lot of things and want to keep my options open.

StateSchoolSplitter

Bronze

Post by StateSchoolSplitter » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:01 pm

maggiejeter wrote:Because I want to be a lawyer... I thought that was the reason to go.

I'm just not sure where/what type of law I want to practice. I'm interested in a lot of things and want to keep my options open.
You might be best served re-taking.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:04 pm

maggiejeter wrote:Hi everyone,
I'm really new to the whole law school application process, as I just decided I wanted to go through with applying in October. I took the December LSAT and am still waiting for my score. I had scored a 162 on a practice test
How many practice tests did you take? How much did you study?

Lets know when you get your score.

Fresh

Silver

Post by Fresh » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:04 pm

Hopefully you did well on your LSAT, but if you didn't, maybe you should consider waiting a year and reapplying. A 3.95 GPA is outstanding, and I'm sure that if you prepared more effectively for the LSAT you would be more confident taking it and do better. Your GPA + a solid LSAT would give you a strong chance at admission anywhere in the country. Since you decided to apply to law school this October, it can't be inconceivable for you to sit out a year before attending law school. I'm sure the thoughts have crossed your mind before. Good luck

ran12

Silver

Post by ran12 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:27 pm

Retake the test in June and reapply next year. If you're not confident you did well on the Dec test, you most likely did not do well. Also, most of the schools you listed are not worth going to at their cost and are stingy with money.

maggiejeter

New

Post by maggiejeter » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:33 pm

Thank you for all your help. Still waiting on my score, but I am leaning toward retaking it in Feb- if I do significantly better then after more preparation, do you think it would be too late to affect my scholarship/acceptance offers at those schools? I am not very concerned with attending the most prestigious law school I can; I would just like a law degree that can get me a job and will not leave me with lots of debt.

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:53 pm

maggiejeter wrote: I am not very concerned with attending the most prestigious law school I can; I would just like a law degree that can get me a job and will not leave me with lots of debt.
These may be mutually exclusive.

Please read

http://abovethelaw.com/2010/07/nalp-giv ... er-salary/

Then take a look at tuition costs.

Your GPA is outstanding. You can and should be targeting T14 schools, probably even T6. To do that effectively you need a 170+ LSAT score. With that and your GPA you could look forward to a hefty scholarship at one of the country's top schools. Without a good LSAT you're looking at a six figure debt and little chance of a job that will allow you to repay it.

If you don't get a top score, retake in June. Apply early next cycle and reap the rewards.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”