Read Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
thegor1987

Bronze

Re: Read

Post by thegor1987 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:46 am

romothesavior wrote:
rman1201 wrote: This site does over-exaggerate at times though.
Not as often as you'd like to make yourself believe.

In fact, as far as law school related forums on the internet, TLS is probably the most pro-law school one you'll find.
I find JD Underground to be the most optimistic regarding the choice to go to law school

Lokomani

New

Post by Lokomani » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:02 am

Regardless of where this thread goes, enough people have read by now to make it worth it. If even one person found some more information, more power to you.

That's the biggest issue here underneath the argument, whether and to what degree people are able to collect all the relevant information.

thegor1987

Bronze

Post by thegor1987 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:39 pm

Lokomani wrote:Not really rman. It gives absolutely no indication of what types of jobs the schools are counting as "employed," nor does it specify the breakdowns of the salaries on the low end. 42% under 65k sounds bad enough, but imagine 15-20% under 40k because they're doing temp work or part-time bullshit for the law school. Also, even the article admits that these figures were during a more favorable job market.

These are just more half-truths from the ABA, take with a grain or 2 of salt.

Here is a more comprehensive article on the matter:
http://www.cwsl.edu/content/journals/Dolin.pdf

This article from Cornell law explains WHY law schools have gotten away with this heinous inflation of the cost of an education, as well as other factors which contributed to the bubble:
http://www.lawschool.cornell.edu/resear ... aham-2.pdf

How do I REACH THESE KEEDZ?
I don't think these articles apply to your average student. Most people are going to carefully consider what they can afford. If you took out 200k for TTT, your dad is likely CEO with 1 million dollar salary who will cover in case of emergency. There are scholarships, schools with in state tuition and low cost of living that can make repaying the debt completely reasonable without a glamorous salary. You can also choose to pursue 'safer' fields such as IP. You can choose to work full time while going to school part time. There are many smart options that everyone should consider.

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:54 pm

thegor1987 wrote:
Lokomani wrote:Not really rman. It gives absolutely no indication of what types of jobs the schools are counting as "employed," nor does it specify the breakdowns of the salaries on the low end. 42% under 65k sounds bad enough, but imagine 15-20% under 40k because they're doing temp work or part-time bullshit for the law school. Also, even the article admits that these figures were during a more favorable job market.

This article from Cornell law explains WHY law schools have gotten away with this heinous inflation of the cost of an education, as well as other factors which contributed to the bubble:

I don't think these articles apply to your average student. Most people are going to carefully consider what they can afford. If you took out 200k for TTT, your dad is likely CEO with 1 million dollar salary who will cover in case of emergency. There are scholarships, schools with in state tuition and low cost of living that can make repaying the debt completely reasonable without a glamorous salary. You can also choose to pursue 'safer' fields such as IP. You can choose to work full time while going to school part time. There are many smart options that everyone should consider.
This isn't true of education at all. People have it in their head that higher education = cushier lifestyle. I'd wager that MOST of the law school applicants have no idea what it's really like, or have heard, and are ignoring it. This may not be true at the top schools, but there are a lot more TTT shitholes than there are top schools.

thegor1987

Bronze

Post by thegor1987 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:28 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
thegor1987 wrote:

This isn't true of education at all. People have it in their head that higher education = cushier lifestyle. I'd wager that MOST of the law school applicants have no idea what it's really like, or have heard, and are ignoring it. This may not be true at the top schools, but there are a lot more TTT shitholes than there are top schools.
Well let's not even consider the TTT, what's really scary is having to consider a school like WUSTL at sticker. I mean you hear about poor employment prospects out of such selective schools that you are going to be more likely to ignore the information. Lot of people don't want to believe this can be true at such competitive schools. This is where it really gets tricky

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

emhellmer

Bronze

Post by emhellmer » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:57 pm

How dissapointing! I honestly expected that a degree would automatically entitle me to $100K+ a year at a job that was exciting, despite my lack of people skills and work experience. What sort of career can I pursue that is A) easy, B) high-paying, and C) requires little effort to find a job? Please keep in mind that I am good at school but not much else. I think I deserve a Mercedes for that.

It is heartening to see so many posts frantically urging students to avoid law school, especially from people who are taking time away from their current job search. I'm even more touched by the numerous posts from others who froth at the mouth at the idea of more and more young people entering law school and then a job market such as this. Those unemployed law school grads who spend so much time urging others to avoid a legal education truly contradict the old stereotype of a uber-competitive, manipulative lawyer who will do and say whatever it takes to get ahead.

Thank you for your altruism, and consider every dissuaded prospective student a feather in your cap (as I'm sure the thought of less competition in a field known for exceptionally unreasonable salary expectations had nothing to do with inspiring you to educate us against a legal education).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”