UNew Mexico

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
BeautifulSW

Re: UNew Mexico

Postby BeautifulSW » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:46 pm

Nope, correct on all points. NM State legal jobs are HEAVILY dominated by UNM grads. It's almost a closed shop. Not that great, though, since a new state lawyer starts in the low to mid $40,000s. If you went to UNM Law as a resident, you can probably just afford to take one of these jobs but if you owe six figures? Well, that's a different story.

The federal government in New Mexico doesn't seem to have any preference for UNM and it pays pretty well but the jobs are few and usually go to experienced lawyers. Someone just about has to die for a federal law job to open up.

On top of all that, UNM Law is surprisingly hard to get into unless you are a resident. Even then, competition is fairly stiff and getting worse every year.

There ARE jobs here and there is room for new small law firms in the more rural areas outside of Albuquerque and Santa Fe, but that means scrambling for a living as a more-or-less generalist. Not the stuff of BigLaw dreams, I'm afraid. Anyone deciding to go that route would do well to take lots of crim law classes and clinics.

OTOH, there aren't very many involuntarily unemployed New Mexico lawyers. Come pass our Bar exam and be flexible about where and with whom you start out, and you will find some sort of attorney job.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:53 pm

BeautifulSW wrote:Nope, correct on all points. NM State legal jobs are HEAVILY dominated by UNM grads. It's almost a closed shop. Not that great, though, since a new state lawyer starts in the low to mid $40,000s. If you went to UNM Law as a resident, you can probably just afford to take one of these jobs but if you owe six figures? Well, that's a different story.

The federal government in New Mexico doesn't seem to have any preference for UNM and it pays pretty well but the jobs are few and usually go to experienced lawyers. Someone just about has to die for a federal law job to open up.

On top of all that, UNM Law is surprisingly hard to get into unless you are a resident. Even then, competition is fairly stiff and getting worse every year.

There ARE jobs here and there is room for new small law firms in the more rural areas outside of Albuquerque and Santa Fe, but that means scrambling for a living as a more-or-less generalist. Not the stuff of BigLaw dreams, I'm afraid. Anyone deciding to go that route would do well to take lots of crim law classes and clinics.

OTOH, there aren't very many involuntarily unemployed New Mexico lawyers. Come pass our Bar exam and be flexible about where and with whom you start out, and you will find some sort of attorney job.

What about non-natives?

BeautifulSW

Postby BeautifulSW » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:36 pm

Even non-natives who are sufficiently flexible will probably find something. But the low pay might hurt pretty bad. And not all of the state is what you'd call "scenic".

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:40 pm

BeautifulSW wrote:Even non-natives who are sufficiently flexible will probably find something. But the low pay might hurt pretty bad. And not all of the state is what you'd call "scenic".

Well, it depends, we have a pretty legit LRAP. Would "something" include government or PI work or is "something" more like DUIs in Taos?

Bosque

Postby Bosque » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:43 pm

Veyron wrote:
BeautifulSW wrote:Even non-natives who are sufficiently flexible will probably find something. But the low pay might hurt pretty bad. And not all of the state is what you'd call "scenic".

Well, it depends, we have a pretty legit LRAP. Would "something" include government or PI work or is "something" more like DUIs in Taos?

What public interest work?

DUIs in Taos.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:51 pm

Bosque wrote:
Veyron wrote:

DUIs in Taos.

I thought so.

Bosque

Postby Bosque » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:01 pm

Veyron wrote:
Bosque wrote:
Veyron wrote:

DUIs in Taos.

I thought so.

That said, DUIs in Taos is the extreme example. There are other niches that you could be working in that are slightly more satisfying.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:08 pm

[/quote]

Well, it depends, we have a pretty legit LRAP. Would "something" include government or PI work or is "something" more like DUIs in Taos?[/quote]

DUIs in Taos.[/quote]

I thought so.[/quote]

That said, DUIs in Taos is the extreme example. There are other niches that you could be working in that are slightly more satisfying.[/quote]

Such as?

Bosque

Postby Bosque » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:15 pm

Veyron wrote:
Bosque wrote:
Veyron wrote:
Bosque wrote:

DUIs in Taos.

I thought so.

That said, DUIs in Taos is the extreme example. There are other niches that you could be working in that are slightly more satisfying.

Such as?

I dunno, basic estate planning, small business advisement work, basic criminal defense work, employment discrimination cases (on the plaintiffs side likely), stuff like that.

Postby 20160810 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:44 pm

Let's be clear about something: DUIs in Taos >>>>>>> DUIs in Gallup

Bosque

Postby Bosque » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:55 pm

SBL wrote:Let's be clear about something: DUIs in Taos >>>>>>> DUIs in Gallup

HELL yes. +180

Postby 20160810 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:16 pm

Bosque wrote:
SBL wrote:Let's be clear about something: DUIs in Taos >>>>>>> DUIs in Gallup

HELL yes. +180

Gallup is where joy goes to die.

BeautifulSW

Postby BeautifulSW » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:30 pm

By "something" I meant "something". A law job. No guarantees about location, workload, pay, or benefits. Might be okay, might be less than okay, might be pretty awful. Some ADA jobs advertise starting salaries as low as $34,000 and mid-grade ADA jobs seem to run $50-$70,000. Legal Aid jobs pay even less.

And DWI (that's what we call DUI) in Gallup or Taos would differ only as to climate. I loathe doing DWI defense.

Bosque

Postby Bosque » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:47 pm

BeautifulSW wrote:By "something" I meant "something". A law job. No guarantees about location, workload, pay, or benefits. Might be okay, might be less than okay, might be pretty awful. Some ADA jobs advertise starting salaries as low as $34,000 and mid-grade ADA jobs seem to run $50-$70,000. Legal Aid jobs pay even less.

And DWI (that's what we call DUI) in Gallup or Taos would differ only as to climate. I loathe doing DWI defense.

But SBL has a point, that difference in climate is substantial.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:16 pm

Bosque wrote:
BeautifulSW wrote:By "something" I meant "something". A law job. No guarantees about location, workload, pay, or benefits. Might be okay, might be less than okay, might be pretty awful. Some ADA jobs advertise starting salaries as low as $34,000 and mid-grade ADA jobs seem to run $50-$70,000. Legal Aid jobs pay even less.

But SBL has a point, that difference in climate is substantial.

Just Wikid Gallup, looks like you've got a point.

Can't imagine that 50k is terrible in NM with LRAP

BeautifulSW

Postby BeautifulSW » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:28 pm

Well, if anyone is interested enough to check it out, surf on over to http://www.nmbar.org and look in the classified section of the Bar Bulletin. Almost all public sector law jobs get advertised there. The only ones that don't are exempt governor appointees and maybe some of the attorney general's staff.

New Mexico has reciprocity with no one. We will give you a temporary limited license if you are admitted in another state and go to work for a state agency or (I believe) legal aid.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:20 pm

BeautifulSW wrote:Well, if anyone is interested enough to check it out, surf on over to http://www.nmbar.org and look in the classified section of the Bar Bulletin. Almost all public sector law jobs get advertised there. The only ones that don't are exempt governor appointees and maybe some of the attorney general's staff.

New Mexico has reciprocity with no one. We will give you a temporary limited license if you are admitted in another state and go to work for a state agency or (I believe) legal aid.

TY. I love the southwest. Its good to know what options are available in the region. Also, I imagine that the AZ legal market is at least somewhat similar.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”