Mention HYS acceptances when asking schools for more $$?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Plan2008
Posts: 71
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:18 am

Re: Mention HYS acceptances when asking schools for more $$?

Postby Plan2008 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:56 am

dbrddr wrote:Sorry if this is in the wrong forum. My numbers are 172/4.0, and I've been accepted to two of HYS. Most people I've talked to think I'd be crazy to attend another school for anything less than a full ride, but my fiancée's applying to PhD programs (i.e. I won't be able to attend Harvard or Yale if she's not accepted to a school in the area), and with my LSAT it's extremely unlikely that I'll be competitive for a Darrow at Michigan (no invite yet, so no invite), a Rubenstein at Chicago, a Hamilton at Columbia, a Mordecai at Duke, or a Furman at NYU. I'd have no real problem attending any school I've applied to, but having no choice but to take 54K at Michigan or 60K at Duke wouldn't be ideal.

I'm thinking about negotiating soon after I get an initial offer from some of these schools. Is there a tasteful way to suggest that they should bump, say, a half-tuition offer up to something close to a full ride just because I've been accepted to Harvard and Yale? I don't mean to sound arrogant, but it seems like most schools below HYS would be flattered that a Yale admit's still considering them. I don't want to do this if might hurt my chances, though--virtually zero Yale admits end up attending non-HYS schools, so I'd hate for schools to think a full-ride offer would be wasted on me despite my profession of continued interest. I think I almost have to mention the fact that I'm applying along with my fiancée in order for schools to take me seriously when I say I really might attend if given a higher offer, but I don't want them to think that I'd be bitter about "having" to attend their school or calculate that I probably wouldn't attend in any case, given that it's extremely difficult for the average PhD applicant to get into any one school.

It's true that I've got nothing to lose once I receive an initial financial offer, but I know it would feel and seem awfully presumptuous of me to ask for a Darrow invite/Mordecai nomination (this is essentially what I'd be doing, though not in so many words), especially since named-scholarship recipients typically have way higher LSATs than I do.

Thoughts? (Please don't steer the conversation to whether I should live apart from my bride-to-be for 3 years to attend Yale. My mind's entirely made up on that point.)
Last edited by Plan2008 on Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Plan2008
Posts: 71
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:18 am

Re: Mention HYS acceptances when asking schools for more $$?

Postby Plan2008 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:03 am

CanadianWolf wrote:If you do decide to negotiate, then it may harm your negotiating strength if you mention your SO--which would give that law school an advantage. Your advantage is your acceptances to Yale & Harvard (not that your SO cannot pursue her PhD studies at Yale or Harvard).

P.S. Another method of negotiating would be to ask for an extension of time in which to accept or reject a law school's offer because you have been accepted to Yale/Harvard & need more time to decide. This requires the law school to make the next move.


CW, you sly dog! u b correct.

User avatar
dbrddr
Posts: 287
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:24 pm

Re: Mention HYS acceptances when asking schools for more $$?

Postby dbrddr » Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:18 am

Enough of you are lecturing me without much knowledge of my situation (reconsider who you're marrying if she won't let you attend Yale, you'd go to a NYC school but not Yale?!?) or projecting your own pomposity onto me (Dear X school, I may consider you as a last resort, but only if you recognize my awesomeness and hand over a full ride in a fit of jealousy!) that this thread is no longer useful. Thanks to the few of you who respectfully responded to the question I raised in the thread's title.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Mention HYS acceptances when asking schools for more $$?

Postby 09042014 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:57 pm

dbrddr wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Your numbers give you a shot at getting a fullride from Northwestern


Still in undergrad (no shot, no thanks)


They sometimes give fullrides to straight from undergrads if they defer a year.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: aaron1621 and 3 guests