Underrated T2 Schools

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
PDaddy
Posts: 2073
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:40 am

Re: Underrated T2 Schools

Postby PDaddy » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:18 am

Who, on this board, is really qualified to speak of a law school's "quality"? As much as we all talk about these schools, we really know very little about any of them other than what others (the so-called "experts") write. We have never attended these schools or spent much time around any of them.

As far as I am concerned, there are too many great law schools in this country to mention. We have our favorites because of personal biases, but wanting certain schools to be considered "underrated" will not make it so. Besides, virtually any school in the T2 - or TTT for that matter - can be considered underrated just by virtue of being stationed in such an arbitrary and meaningless category.

Note: my sexy favs are Miami, Temple, Brooklyn, Cardozo, San Diego, Florida St., Houston, Pepperdine, Loyola, (CA), Loyola (IL), Chicago-Kent, San Francisco, Lewis & Clark, Oregon, Villanova, Pittsburgh, Seattle-U, Suffolk, Santa Clara, Chapman.

Lots of students with high grades and LSAT's don't know their elbows from their asses when it comes to being law students or lawyers, so it's really fruitless to say that a school with high grading/scoring students is better than another. Harvard, Columbia, Penn, etc. all have their share of idiots.

On what do I base my list? Mostly hearsay, conjecture, pretty pictures, location(s), and short visits...just like everyone else.

User avatar
Lokomani
Posts: 67
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:54 am

Re: Underrated T2 Schools

Postby Lokomani » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:40 am

PDaddy wrote:Who, on this board, is really qualified to speak of a law school's "quality"? As much as we all talk about these schools, we really know very little about any of them other than what others (the so-called "experts") write. We have never attended these schools or spent much time around any of them....

On what do I base my list? Mostly hearsay, conjecture, pretty pictures, location(s), and short visits...just like everyone else.


Welcome to the internet. It appears you are late to the party. Possibly because of your 56k hookup.

jblev1
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:55 am

Re: Underrated T2 Schools

Postby jblev1 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:08 am

Any T2 located in a state where it is the best school is underrated, because the big jobs in the state will be available to it's students.

User avatar
Stringer Bell
Posts: 1923
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:43 pm

Re: Underrated T2 Schools

Postby Stringer Bell » Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:18 am

Aqualibrium wrote:
That's a really shitty way to make the point you were attempting to make. If you want to work in Washington, you pick UW over Ohio State, Fordham, Iowa, etc... If you get scholarship money and you want to work in Washington, you pick Gonzaga over Oklahoma, St. John's, PSU, Brooklyn, etc...

Not sure how the expected employment outcome plays into it at all. Fordham is unlikely to get you a job in Washington. If you don't want to work in New York, don't go to Fordham.

And if you end up with Fordham and Gonzaga as your only choices, you should be shot for not applying wisely.

Also, don't get all angry and try to e-fight me. The example you chose wasn't a good one to make the point you attempted to make. It's not that big a deal.


I'm not angry nor is this an attempt to "e-fight". I was just using a bit of hyperbole to demonstate the overuse of the "go where you want to work" mantra. If that that were how most people chose their school, the University of San Diego would probably be at the top of alot more people's list of schools they were considering. Employment outcomes are likely more important than specific geography for most people. If you can't find a legal job, living in a city you really like is still going to suck.

User avatar
lolschool2011
Posts: 269
Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:14 pm

Re: Underrated T2 Schools

Postby lolschool2011 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:35 am

rad law wrote:
RFBUG wrote:
profizzle wrote:GULC


This is a totally pointless post. GULC is a tier 1 school and T14, and regarded as one of the best schools in the US... Totally misplaced


Bro you're bad at jokes.


Or, really good at them? If he added a layer of sarcasm to sarcasm that might have been pretty funny....

gwlaw2012
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:58 pm

Re: Underrated T2 Schools

Postby gwlaw2012 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:26 am

Concept wrote:What are some the most underrated schools ranked #50-#100? Which T2 schools deserve to be in the T1?

Interested in seeing the schools this thread brings up.



San Diego, Pepperdine, Lewis&Clark, and Brooklyn
(edit: underrated in terms of their national recognition, as others have said, they're all good schools, especially locally)

User avatar
Lokomani
Posts: 67
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:54 am

Re: Underrated T2 Schools

Postby Lokomani » Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:52 am

Stringer Bell wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:
That's a really shitty way to make the point you were attempting to make. If you want to work in Washington, you pick UW over Ohio State, Fordham, Iowa, etc... If you get scholarship money and you want to work in Washington, you pick Gonzaga over Oklahoma, St. John's, PSU, Brooklyn, etc...

Not sure how the expected employment outcome plays into it at all. Fordham is unlikely to get you a job in Washington. If you don't want to work in New York, don't go to Fordham.

And if you end up with Fordham and Gonzaga as your only choices, you should be shot for not applying wisely.

Also, don't get all angry and try to e-fight me. The example you chose wasn't a good one to make the point you attempted to make. It's not that big a deal.


I'm not angry nor is this an attempt to "e-fight". I was just using a bit of hyperbole to demonstate the overuse of the "go where you want to work" mantra. If that that were how most people chose their school, the University of San Diego would probably be at the top of alot more people's list of schools they were considering. Employment outcomes are likely more important than specific geography for most people. If you can't find a legal job, living in a city you really like is still going to suck.



The last part of your argument is true of any law school. Of course if you can't find a job you're not in a good position. What you seem to fail to realize is that everyone is having trouble right now. Less than 50% of 2009 grads actually got a full-time job. If you expect to have a job spoon fed through OCI/Career Services (LOL), you have another thing coming. Going to a higher-ranked school is costly and not a smart decision for many people. This holds doubly true if one goes to school in a completely different region from where you want to work just to go to a school higher on the (arbitrary) rankings list.

I know JD's and have friends in law school, they primarily chose a law school because of where they wanted to work. Because some of them networked at schools such as Georgia State and St. Johns, they managed to get jobs. This is probably the most commonly used because it's the smartest piece of advice you can get about law school. T-14 or bust is a foolish mantra for most (IRL, not on the internets). If you are already in the ideal location, all that need be done is getting off your ass and working like you want it.



P.S. All law schools teach the same curriculum (per ABA regulations).

P.P.S. You dumb stringer bell, you dumb.

User avatar
Stringer Bell
Posts: 1923
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:43 pm

Re: Underrated T2 Schools

Postby Stringer Bell » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:48 pm

Lokomani wrote:
The last part of your argument is true of any law school. Of course if you can't find a job you're not in a good position. What you seem to fail to realize is that everyone is having trouble right now. Less than 50% of 2009 grads actually got a full-time job. If you expect to have a job spoon fed through OCI/Career Services (LOL), you have another thing coming. Going to a higher-ranked school is costly and not a smart decision for many people. This holds doubly true if one goes to school in a completely different region from where you want to work just to go to a school higher on the (arbitrary) rankings list.

I know JD's and have friends in law school, they primarily chose a law school because of where they wanted to work. Because some of them networked at schools such as Georgia State and St. Johns, they managed to get jobs. This is probably the most commonly used because it's the smartest piece of advice you can get about law school. T-14 or bust is a foolish mantra for most (IRL, not on the internets). If you are already in the ideal location, all that need be done is getting off your ass and working like you want it.



P.S. All law schools teach the same curriculum (per ABA regulations).

P.P.S. You dumb stringer bell, you dumb.


WTF are you even trying to say? Going to school somewhere that you already have a professional network is different from someone that lives in Florida going to USD because "they want to work there". And the fact that some people from every school wind up unemployed means you should treat all schools the same? If 70% of the grads at one school get jobs and 30% at another do, you shouldn't worry about the difference because there's a chance you are going to be unemployed coming from either? You don't think worrying about how many legal grads a market can absorb and the potential growth of that market are more important factors than rather or not you would rather live there than somewhere else?

People have been moving for career opportunities in this country for centuries. My family moved because there were better professional opportunities for my parents in the city they moved to. My dad didn't say "I'm moving to Jackson Hole because I'd like to live there".

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: Underrated T2 Schools

Postby JazzOne » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:59 pm

Stringer Bell wrote:WTF are you even trying to say?

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Underrated T2 Schools

Postby Grizz » Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:50 pm

gwlaw2012 wrote:
Concept wrote:What are some the most underrated schools ranked #50-#100? Which T2 schools deserve to be in the T1?

Interested in seeing the schools this thread brings up.



San Diego, Pepperdine, Lewis&Clark, and Brooklyn
(edit: underrated in terms of their national recognition, as others have said, they're all good schools, especially locally)


Brooklyn?

lolololololololololololololololololololololololol

User avatar
20160810
Posts: 19648
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Re: Underrated T2 Schools

Postby 20160810 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:00 pm

The only even OK ones are public schools with reasonable tuition and access to their own markets. Houston, UNM, Kansas, Oregon, etc.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests