Chicago IP - Indiana, Illinois, Michigan?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
fire_72

Chicago IP - Indiana, Illinois, Michigan?

Postby fire_72 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:27 am

I'm a prospective law student that would like to practice IP law in Chicago (probably patent prosecution - and before anyone asks: Yes, I have the proper background). If I strike out in Chicago, Indianpolis would be my second choice. Here are my options (so far...):

-Indiana (w/ ~0-10k total debt) -
Very happy to get a full tuition scholly here, but I'm worried that it will be tough to break into Chi. I've heard that there are a lot of IP people here and that some Chicacgo IP-only firms attent OCI (can anybody confirm this?).

-Illinois (w/ ~30-45k debt) -
Illinois definitely places well in Chicago (although I havn't heard anything about IP). I definitely like this option, but the question is: is Illinois $30-40k better than Indiana? I might try to use IU to leverage a little more out of UI.

-Michigan (w/ ~120-130k debt)
While most would agree that UM is a step above the other two, it's also much more expensive. I just don't know if I can stomach that much debt. However, if cost wasn't an issue, I'd probably say that UM is my "dream school".

I've been a long time lurker of TLS, and I've always found it interesting that so many people are so willing to go so far into debt to go to a top school. I don't necessary think that is the wrong decision, but I believe debt should be taken seriously and considered carefully. Let me know what you all would do in my situation.

Thanks!

krad

Re: Chicago IP - Indiana, Illinois, Michigan?

Postby krad » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:52 am

fire_72 wrote:I'm a prospective law student that would like to practice IP law in Chicago (probably patent prosecution - and before anyone asks: Yes, I have the proper background). If I strike out in Chicago, Indianpolis would be my second choice. Here are my options (so far...):

Very happy to get a full tuition scholly here, but I'm worried that it will be tough to break into Chi. I've heard that there are a lot of IP people here and that some Chicacgo IP-only firms attent OCI (can anybody confirm this?).

Illinois definitely places well in Chicago (although I havn't heard anything about IP). I definitely like this option, but the question is: is Illinois $30-40k better than Indiana? I might try to use IU to leverage a little more out of UI.

While most would agree that UM is a step above the other two, it's also much more expensive. I just don't know if I can stomach that much debt. However, if cost wasn't an issue, I'd probably say that UM is my "dream school".

I've been a long time lurker of TLS, and I've always found it interesting that so many people are so willing to go so far into debt to go to a top school. I don't necessary think that is the wrong decision, but I believe debt should be taken seriously and considered carefully. Let me know what you all would do in my situation.

Thanks!

I would go to Michigan, hands down. But, that's my dream school, so I'm prettttty biased...

You should definitely try to use IUB to leverage $$$ from UIUC and see what happens.

Edit: M would still give you the best options, IP or not, regardless of debt. But, if you're that debt averse I'd probably vote UIUC for Chi...

FlightoftheEarls

Postby FlightoftheEarls » Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:44 pm

fire_72 wrote:I'm a prospective law student that would like to practice IP law in Chicago (probably patent prosecution - and before anyone asks: Yes, I have the proper background). If I strike out in Chicago, Indianpolis would be my second choice. Here are my options (so far...):

Thanks!

Is it fair to assume that the prices you've quoted above take into account COL for all three schools' total prices as well?

fire_72

Postby fire_72 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:22 am

FlightoftheEarls wrote:

Thanks!

Is it fair to assume that the prices you've quoted above take into account COL for all three schools' total prices as well?

Yes, cost of living is included in those numbers.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:26 am

How are you in at Michigan with scholarship money, and not getting a full ride to UIUC? You sure those debt figures are correct? It seems you have completely left out COL expenses.

Also, Michigan.

hokie

Postby hokie » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:32 am

yea.....Michigan for sure. Michigan's employment prospects outweigh schollys at Indiana and UIUC IMO. However, if you are COMPLETELY debt averse, then go to Indiana for more $$$ because the little advantage you get at UIUC over Indiana isn't worth it.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:33 am

hokie wrote:yea.....Michigan for sure. Michigan's employment prospects outweigh schollys at Indiana and UIUC IMO. However, if you are COMPLETELY debt averse, then go to Indiana for more $$$ because the little advantage you get at UIUC over Indiana isn't worth it.

TITCR

Fark-o-vision

Postby Fark-o-vision » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:42 am

Many people with spouses, or well off parents willing to throw a grand or so a month at their legal education, could graduate from law school if they received a full ride scholarship. Also, if you graduated from a premier university and obtained a degree that gave you useful part time options, then you graduate debt free. I had friend who did copy editing from home and got 25 dollars a page. From what I gather this is actually under market value, but he could do three or four pages in two hours. four nights a week=enough to live at most of the schools mentioned.

czelede

Postby czelede » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:43 am

I actually know somebody in your exact position that took $$ at Illinois over sticker at Michigan for IP Law (and will be summering in CA this summer). Another friend of mine at Illinois had a 1L SA and now has a 2L SA with an IP boutique in Chicago (I think he is ~top 30-40% or so).

I know TLS may jump on me for this, but my general experience with people gunning for and people already in hard IP is that if you have quality work experience and education and are 100% sure that IP is what you want, minimizing debt is a good idea. Take this with the caveat that I *am* a 0L, but coming from an engineering undergrad I have a fair amount of friends that have gone to law school for IP or are currently attending, and this seems to be a general consensus among them and their similarly career-oriented peers.

EDIT: OP, have you considered NU for Chicago?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”