T-14 LRW Graded/Ungraded & Other Rankings

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: T-14 LRW Graded/Ungraded

Postby keg411 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:42 am

Bronte wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:I think your counterarguments are far stronger than your regular arguments.


Okay, 0Ls, another nugget of TLS wisdom for you: Schools with graded legal writing classes are significantly tougher than schools without it. The grading structure for legal writing should be a controlling factor in deciding between schools. Good luck!

(Please note: One dissenting poster did note that he went to a T14 with a nongraded legal writing course, and it was a living hell. Most people were maxing out their study time.)


You are a 0L, which is your first indication that you have no clue about first semester legal writing classes. LAWR does not make your life hell unless you let it or overstress about it. There is more than enough time to set aside for it if you are organized. Finals memos in LAWR do NOT at all affect your ability to study for exams. If you set yourself up to hate legal writing, you will hate it -- which is a poor attitude to have since lawyers have to write a lot.

User avatar
Bronte
Posts: 2128
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:44 pm

Re: T-14 LRW Graded/Ungraded

Postby Bronte » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:56 pm

keg411 wrote:
Bronte wrote:Okay, 0Ls, another nugget of TLS wisdom for you: Schools with graded legal writing classes are significantly tougher than schools without it. The grading structure for legal writing should be a controlling factor in deciding between schools. Good luck!

(Please note: One dissenting poster did note that he went to a T14 with a nongraded legal writing course, and it was a living hell. Most people were maxing out their study time.)


You are a 0L, which is your first indication that you have no clue about first semester legal writing classes. LAWR does not make your life hell unless you let it or overstress about it. There is more than enough time to set aside for it if you are organized. Finals memos in LAWR do NOT at all affect your ability to study for exams. If you set yourself up to hate legal writing, you will hate it -- which is a poor attitude to have since lawyers have to write a lot.


(1) I'm not an 0L. (2) You're not arguing against my position. My position is not that legal writing makes your life hell. My position is that whether legal writing is graded should not be a controlling factor in deciding between schools.

Edit: Maybe your confusion arises out of the fact that the post you quoted is entirely sarcastic and only makes sense within the context of a discussion I was having with another poster.

cornellbeez
Posts: 301
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:43 am

Re: T-14 LRW Graded/Ungraded

Postby cornellbeez » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:27 pm

I attend a T-14 with ungraded legal writing. FTW. I don't recall my classmates "maxing out" study time either, we just didn't have to give a shit about going over our essays 50+ times. I'm also glad I attend a school with only 3 doctrinal courses, rather than 4, in a semester.

User avatar
Bronte
Posts: 2128
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:44 pm

Re: T-14 LRW Graded/Ungraded

Postby Bronte » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:43 pm

cornellbeez wrote:I attend a T-14 with ungraded legal writing. FTW. I don't recall my classmates "maxing out" study time either, we just didn't have to give a shit about going over our essays 50+ times. I'm also glad I attend a school with only 3 doctrinal courses, rather than 4, in a semester.


If you go to Cornell, nobody believes you about maxing out. (Jk, but are we really arguing all of a sudden that people don't study their asses off in law school?) Seriously though, would you recommend making this issue a significant factor in deciding between schools? I've stipulated that I'd rather have ungraded (and I'm glad I do). I just don't think it should be the new deciding factor in choosing a school.
Last edited by Bronte on Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cornellbeez
Posts: 301
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:43 am

Re: T-14 LRW Graded/Ungraded

Postby cornellbeez » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:43 pm

Bronte wrote:
cornellbeez wrote:I attend a T-14 with ungraded legal writing. FTW. I don't recall my classmates "maxing out" study time either, we just didn't have to give a shit about going over our essays 50+ times. I'm also glad I attend a school with only 3 doctrinal courses, rather than 4, in a semester.


If you go to Cornell, nobody believes you about maxing out. (Jk, but are we really arguing all of a sudden that people don't study their asses of in law school?) Seriously though, would you recommend making this issue a significant factor in deciding between schools? I've stipulated that I'd rather have ungraded (and I'm glad I do). I just don't think it should be the new deciding factor in choosing a school.


I went to Cornell undergrad. I go to MVP, am a 2L, and am really glad that I didn't have to waste my time doing graded LRW. (I say waste, because whatever you didn't learn in LRW, you can learn with a federal judge during 1L summer, plus far more.)

User avatar
Bronte
Posts: 2128
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:44 pm

Re: T-14 LRW Graded/Ungraded

Postby Bronte » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:45 pm

cornellbeez wrote:
Bronte wrote:
cornellbeez wrote:I attend a T-14 with ungraded legal writing. FTW. I don't recall my classmates "maxing out" study time either, we just didn't have to give a shit about going over our essays 50+ times. I'm also glad I attend a school with only 3 doctrinal courses, rather than 4, in a semester.


If you go to Cornell, nobody believes you about maxing out. (Jk, but are we really arguing all of a sudden that people don't study their asses of in law school?) Seriously though, would you recommend making this issue a significant factor in deciding between schools? I've stipulated that I'd rather have ungraded (and I'm glad I do). I just don't think it should be the new deciding factor in choosing a school.


I went to Cornell undergrad. I go to MVP.


Cool, that part was a joke anyway. What about my real question?

cornellbeez
Posts: 301
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:43 am

Re: T-14 LRW Graded/Ungraded

Postby cornellbeez » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:46 pm

Bronte wrote:
cornellbeez wrote:
Bronte wrote:
cornellbeez wrote:I attend a T-14 with ungraded legal writing. FTW. I don't recall my classmates "maxing out" study time either, we just didn't have to give a shit about going over our essays 50+ times. I'm also glad I attend a school with only 3 doctrinal courses, rather than 4, in a semester.


If you go to Cornell, nobody believes you about maxing out. (Jk, but are we really arguing all of a sudden that people don't study their asses of in law school?) Seriously though, would you recommend making this issue a significant factor in deciding between schools? I've stipulated that I'd rather have ungraded (and I'm glad I do). I just don't think it should be the new deciding factor in choosing a school.


I went to Cornell undergrad. I go to MVP.


Cool, that part was a joke anyway. What about my real question?


Well, if the schools have similar prospects, I think scholarship money is more important. If the schools have similar prospects and similar costs, I'd go with ungraded. If similar prospects and costs, I'd also attend the school with 3 doctrinal courses, rather than 4, in a semester.

User avatar
Bronte
Posts: 2128
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:44 pm

Re: T-14 LRW Graded/Ungraded

Postby Bronte » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:48 pm

cornellbeez wrote:If the schools had similar prospects and similar costs, I'd go with ungraded. I'd also attend the school with 3 doctrinal courses, rather than 4, in a semester.


Yeah I'll agree that all else equal you go with ungraded. I just think it's pretty rare that you won't have something more important controlling the decision (costs, preference for the location, etc.).

User avatar
Hannibal
Posts: 2213
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:00 pm

Re: T-14 LRW Graded/Ungraded

Postby Hannibal » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:37 pm

I'd like to see this expanded for all of T1.

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: T-14 LRW Graded/Ungraded

Postby Knock » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:19 pm

Hannibal wrote:I'd like to see this expanded for all of T1.


Sure thing. I'll work on getting that done.

BeachandRun23
Posts: 328
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:20 am

Re: T-14 LRW Graded/Ungraded

Postby BeachandRun23 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:18 am

Knock wrote:
Hannibal wrote:I'd like to see this expanded for all of T1.


Sure thing. I'll work on getting that done.


Yeah that would be sweet....atleast the top 30 or so. Thanks!

User avatar
BioEBear2010
Posts: 745
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:05 pm

Re: T-14 LRW Graded/Ungraded & Class/Section Size Ranking

Postby BioEBear2010 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:24 am

I believe that SLS has 180 students/class, making 6 30-person sized sections and 10 18-person federal litigation sections.

User avatar
UnitarySpace
Posts: 197
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:18 am

Re: T-14 LRW Graded/Ungraded & Class/Section Size Ranking

Postby UnitarySpace » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:27 am

columbia's LPW is actually HP/P/LP/F

User avatar
vamedic03
Posts: 1579
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:50 am

Re: T-14 LRW Graded/Ungraded & Class/Section Size Ranking

Postby vamedic03 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:16 am

Knock wrote:Top 14 by first year section size:
1. Yale 58
2. Stanford 60
3. Northwestern 65
4. Duke 68
5. Virginia 72
6. Harvard 80
7. Penn 85
8. NYU 89
9. UCal-Berkeley 90
10. Michigan 91
11. Chicago 93
12. Columbia 95
13. Cornell 100
14. Georgetown 117


Not quite sure where you're getting this section size data. UVA's sections are 30 students. Every section takes LRW together and has one other class that's just the section. The other 3 substantive classes are 2-3 sections combined. In the spring semester, LRW remains single section and the 2 required classes are 2 sections combined. There are also two electives in the spring semester.

CyLaw
Posts: 1557
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:59 pm

Re: T-14 LRW Graded/Ungraded & Class/Section Size Ranking

Postby CyLaw » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:20 am

vamedic03 wrote:
Knock wrote:Top 14 by first year section size:
1. Yale 58
2. Stanford 60
3. Northwestern 65
4. Duke 68
5. Virginia 72
6. Harvard 80
7. Penn 85
8. NYU 89
9. UCal-Berkeley 90
10. Michigan 91
11. Chicago 93
12. Columbia 95
13. Cornell 100
14. Georgetown 117


Not quite sure where you're getting this section size data. UVA's sections are 30 students. Every section takes LRW together and has one other class that's just the section. The other 3 substantive classes are 2-3 sections combined. In the spring semester, LRW remains single section and the 2 required classes are 2 sections combined. There are also two electives in the spring semester.


Similar structure for Cornell. ~35 people per section. LRW is only your section. One substantive class with only your section. 2 classes with another section. Remaining classes with 3 sections total.

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: T-14 LRW Graded/Ungraded & Class Size Ranking

Postby Knock » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:24 pm

Okay, i'll take the section data out until I have compiled an accurate list.

User avatar
UnitarySpace
Posts: 197
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:18 am

Re: T-14 LRW Graded/Ungraded & Class/Section Size Ranking

Postby UnitarySpace » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:13 pm

scratch what i said earlier about cls. we have hp/p/lp/f but its not factored into gpa.

User avatar
Bosque
Posts: 1585
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:14 pm

Re: T-14 LRW Graded/Ungraded & Class Size Ranking

Postby Bosque » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:31 pm

Knock wrote:Okay, i'll take the section data out until I have compiled an accurate list.


I think that list is accurate, but only if you are talking about average class size for the combined section 1L classes, not the actual sections themselves. Which is what really matters, since you are going to be taking most of your classes with another section.

cornellbeez
Posts: 301
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:43 am

Re: T-14 LRW Graded/Ungraded & Class Size Ranking

Postby cornellbeez » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:46 pm

Bosque wrote:
Knock wrote:Okay, i'll take the section data out until I have compiled an accurate list.


I think that list is accurate, but only if you are talking about average class size for the combined section 1L classes, not the actual sections themselves. Which is what really matters, since you are going to be taking most of your classes with another section.


List is dubious, considering the "averages" include a 93/91. Wtf?

At Mich, your section = 22 people. On average in a 1L semester, you take 2 1L doctrinal courses with ~90 people, then 1 1L course with ~45, and LRW is about ~22.

There are technically "4 sections" within a 90 person class. In other words, your actual section is your LRW section of 22.

User avatar
acrossthelake
Posts: 4432
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: T-14 LRW Graded/Ungraded & Class/Section Size Ranking

Postby acrossthelake » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:49 pm

Knock wrote:From smallest to biggest class sizes:
1. Stanford University 170
2. University of Chicago 191
3. Cornell University 205
4. Yale University 214
5. Duke University 228
6. University of Pennsylvania 255
7. Northwestern University 271
8. University of California – Berkeley 292
9. University of Virginia 368
10. University of Michigan 371
11. Columbia University 397
12. New York University 450
13. Georgetown University 463
14. Harvard University 559


Harvard is obviousy TTT.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: T-14 LRW Graded/Ungraded & Class/Section Size Ranking

Postby 09042014 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:50 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
Knock wrote:From smallest to biggest class sizes:
1. Stanford University 170
2. University of Chicago 191
3. Cornell University 205
4. Yale University 214
5. Duke University 228
6. University of Pennsylvania 255
7. Northwestern University 271
8. University of California – Berkeley 292
9. University of Virginia 368
10. University of Michigan 371
11. Columbia University 397
12. New York University 450
13. Georgetown University 463
14. Harvard University 559


Harvard is obviousy TTT.


The huge class size does dilute it's placement power, especially at the bottom of the class.

BeachandRun23
Posts: 328
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:20 am

Re: T-14 LRW Graded/Ungraded & Class/Section Size Ranking

Postby BeachandRun23 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:51 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:
Knock wrote:From smallest to biggest class sizes:
1. Stanford University 170
2. University of Chicago 191
3. Cornell University 205
4. Yale University 214
5. Duke University 228
6. University of Pennsylvania 255
7. Northwestern University 271
8. University of California – Berkeley 292
9. University of Virginia 368
10. University of Michigan 371
11. Columbia University 397
12. New York University 450
13. Georgetown University 463
14. Harvard University 559


Harvard is obviousy TTT.


The huge class size does dilute it's placement power, especially at the bottom of the class.


Yes, but i dont think harvard law grads have trouble finding jobs. It may not be the job they wanted, and it may not be in the most prestigous firm, but im sure they can still find a job paying something reasonable.

But you're right, due to sheer size, HLS grads will never be recruited like YLS. Yale has like 1/3 the class size.

le_taon
Posts: 29
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:25 pm

Re: T-14 LRW Graded/Ungraded & Class/Section Size Ranking

Postby le_taon » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:10 am

I just want to say that I think the criticisms being lobbied at Chicago's LRW in this thread are beyond inane.

First of all, Chicago's LRW (the Bigelow program) is NOT graded on the same curve as other classes. The default, "I actually put in a modicum of effort" grade (178) is ABOVE the median for other classes (177). And unlike those other classes, as I understand it, there's no requirement that for every upward deviation into the A range there be a downward deviation into the C range.

Thus LRW is most definitely a way to raise one's GPA, not lower it.

Nor, frankly, is LRW a particularly difficult burden on most students. One writing assignment per quarter -- three total over the course of an entire year (plus perhaps some really minor assignments in between, at the discretion of each section's instructor) -- is simply not that bad as these things go.

My point is, not choosing Chicago because of the LRW would be an exceptionally questionable idea.

Also FYI: Chicago c/o 2013 is about 205 b/c we leaped above NYU and so the yield went up. Oh the hazards of UNSWR.

User avatar
JollyGreenGiant
Posts: 995
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:12 pm

Re: T-14 LRW Graded/Ungraded & Class/Section Size Ranking

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:16 pm

le_taon wrote:I just want to say that I think the criticisms being lobbied at Chicago's LRW in this thread are beyond inane.

First of all, Chicago's LRW (the Bigelow program) is NOT graded on the same curve as other classes. The default, "I actually put in a modicum of effort" grade (178) is ABOVE the median for other classes (177). And unlike those other classes, as I understand it, there's no requirement that for every upward deviation into the A range there be a downward deviation into the C range.

Thus LRW is most definitely a way to raise one's GPA, not lower it.

Nor, frankly, is LRW a particularly difficult burden on most students. One writing assignment per quarter -- three total over the course of an entire year (plus perhaps some really minor assignments in between, at the discretion of each section's instructor) -- is simply not that bad as these things go.

My point is, not choosing Chicago because of the LRW would be an exceptionally questionable idea.

Also FYI: Chicago c/o 2013 is about 205 b/c we leaped above NYU and so the yield went up. Oh the hazards of UNSWR.


+1 to this whole post. Choosing a different school over Chicago is fine, but LRW should have no impact on your decision.

User avatar
BruceWayne
Posts: 2032
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:36 pm

Re: T-14 LRW Graded/Ungraded & Class/Section Size Ranking

Postby BruceWayne » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:21 pm

JollyGreenGiant wrote:
le_taon wrote:I just want to say that I think the criticisms being lobbied at Chicago's LRW in this thread are beyond inane.

First of all, Chicago's LRW (the Bigelow program) is NOT graded on the same curve as other classes. The default, "I actually put in a modicum of effort" grade (178) is ABOVE the median for other classes (177). And unlike those other classes, as I understand it, there's no requirement that for every upward deviation into the A range there be a downward deviation into the C range.

Thus LRW is most definitely a way to raise one's GPA, not lower it.

Nor, frankly, is LRW a particularly difficult burden on most students. One writing assignment per quarter -- three total over the course of an entire year (plus perhaps some really minor assignments in between, at the discretion of each section's instructor) -- is simply not that bad as these things go.

My point is, not choosing Chicago because of the LRW would be an exceptionally questionable idea.

Also FYI: Chicago c/o 2013 is about 205 b/c we leaped above NYU and so the yield went up. Oh the hazards of UNSWR.


+1 to this whole post. Choosing a different school over Chicago is fine, but LRW should have no impact on your decision.


Why not? It's always better to be safe than sorry. While Chicago's LRW may not be as rough as the doctrinal classes curve, you could still do poorly in it. That could preclude you from jobs. If you have the option of going to a school with a similar rep but an ungraded LRW you have one less thing to worry about. There's enough ranking and competition as it is in law school; contrary to popular law school belief you don't need to be ranked/compared at every damn thing.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests