UIUC -- employments prospects for DC

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
LeParadisTerrestre

UIUC -- employments prospects for DC

Postby LeParadisTerrestre » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:16 pm

The free application is tempting -- I'm thinking of applying to U. Illinois - Urbana Champaign next year. I've never been to the Midwest, and in case I'd rather return east after graduation, I was wondering whether BigLaw in DC would be a possibility? Or, with a UIUC J.D., would that only be possible in Chicago?

ksimon2007

Re: UIUC -- employments prospects for DC

Postby ksimon2007 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:33 pm

To break markets like D.C. for biglaw I think it makes sense to go to the best law school you get into though I if you're in the 20 range I would think you shoot for GW over non D.C. schools

ran12

Postby ran12 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:40 pm

LeParadisTerrestre wrote:The free application is tempting -- I'm thinking of applying to U. Illinois - Urbana Champaign next year. I've never been to the Midwest, and in case I'd rather return east after graduation, I was wondering whether BigLaw in DC would be a possibility? Or, with a UIUC J.D., would that only be possible in Chicago?

There's always a possibility. There's prob at least a few firms that recruit at Illinois but if you want to go to DC, you'll have to do the grunt work yourself. It's all about networking with people early and building those relationships to get a door into an interview.

LeParadisTerrestre

Postby LeParadisTerrestre » Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:03 pm

ksimon, until December scores are released I don't know what my range is for certain, but I've got a 3.76 GPA right now (junior) and am expecting a 167~169 LSAT, with the option of retaking in June. I figure I need to apply to some schools beneath the revered T14. Thanks for the GW suggestion.

ran12, thanks for being so positive :) I'll work on my networking skills.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:18 pm

You have a great GPA and (based on your expected score range) a good handle on the LSAT. If you're looking for DC, there's no reason to settle for Illinois; set your sights on the T14+GW. If your LSAT isn't where you need it to be this time around, retake in June.

ksimon2007

Postby ksimon2007 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:39 pm

beachbum wrote:You have a great GPA and (based on your expected score range) a good handle on the LSAT. If you're looking for DC, there's no reason to settle for Illinois; set your sights on the T14+GW. If your LSAT isn't where you need it to be this time around, retake in June.

+1

LeParadisTerrestre

Postby LeParadisTerrestre » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:00 pm

Thank you for the encouragement :oops: I was getting the impression that without a 170 the T14 are all reaches. I'll probably apply to Michigan, Duke, Cornell, Boalt, GTown, UVA (in-state), Vandy, GW and Wash U. And maybe still UIUC since the fee is waived.

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:42 pm

The top cities Illinois places into are Chicago, DC, LA. There are a number of firms from DC that recruit at Illinois. It makes some sense to consider GW because of its location, but the schools are nearly identical in all other facets: If Illinois is significantly cheaper (and I suspect due to COL it will be), it might represent a better choice.

Indeed, Illinois has higher LSAT/GPA medians than does GW for this year's class. What this means for rankings this year is, of course, still unknown.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:34 pm

blurbz wrote:The top cities Illinois places into are Chicago, DC, LA. There are a number of firms from DC that recruit at Illinois. It makes some sense to consider GW because of its location, but the schools are nearly identical in all other facets: If Illinois is significantly cheaper (and I suspect due to COL it will be), it might represent a better choice.

Indeed, Illinois has higher LSAT/GPA medians than does GW for this year's class. What this means for rankings this year is, of course, still unknown.

LOL at UIUC over GW for DC. UIUC barely places in Illinois ite.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”