LL.M. Choices

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
RFBUG

LL.M. Choices

Postby RFBUG » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:11 pm

Hi Guys,

Hope I'm not to much off topic with this LL.M. question?

I'm a Belgian Law student and I am applying for an LL.M. program in the US.

My main goals are: Having a great education, having a wonderful year, having great job prospects in Europe (Biglaw) and maybe work in the US for ever or for a Year (Definitely Biglaw)

So far I have been accepted in GULC and Duke.

I do need to add that I want to specialize in capital markets and that my GULC admissions contains an adm. to the LL.M. in financial and securities regulation, which is great for me of course.

Though I still await decisions from UofC, Columbia, NYU, Harvard and Upenn.

SO guys, in regards to Duke GULC, what would You do?

And have You got more insights and or advice for me?

Thanks a million already!

BeautifulSW

Re: LL.M. Choices

Postby BeautifulSW » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:47 pm

There are a good many foreign-trained lawyers seeking bar admission in the U.S. and they have created a number of web fora for the exchange of notes and impressions. It's done and done frequently but, as I understand it, it's USUALLY done in the context of an existing employment with a multi-national firm.

In short, get your Belgian BigLaw job and talk to the firm about your international aspirations.

If you absolutely insist on doing a U.S. LL.M. on your own nickel, you should know that there are a couple dozen U.S. law schools willing, nay anxious, to take your money. But be careful to select a program that actually gives you the credits you need to take the Bar exam in one or another of the U.S. states that allow such a thing. A specialized LL.M. in, say, finance, might not meet these requirements. You should check, first, with the listings at http://www.americanbar.org under "legal education" and then with the Bar authority in whichever state you intend to target, (usually New York).

Frankly, if you are confident of BigLaw in Belgium, I'd tell you to stick with that. The market here is brutal.

RFBUG

Postby RFBUG » Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:48 am

BeautifulSW wrote:There are a good many foreign-trained lawyers seeking bar admission in the U.S. and they have created a number of web fora for the exchange of notes and impressions. It's done and done frequently but, as I understand it, it's USUALLY done in the context of an existing employment with a multi-national firm.

In short, get your Belgian BigLaw job and talk to the firm about your international aspirations.

If you absolutely insist on doing a U.S. LL.M. on your own nickel, you should know that there are a couple dozen U.S. law schools willing, nay anxious, to take your money. But be careful to select a program that actually gives you the credits you need to take the Bar exam in one or another of the U.S. states that allow such a thing. A specialized LL.M. in, say, finance, might not meet these requirements. You should check, first, with the listings at http://www.americanbar.org under "legal education" and then with the Bar authority in whichever state you intend to target, (usually New York).

Frankly, if you are confident of BigLaw in Belgium, I'd tell you to stick with that. The market here is brutal.

Thanks,
anyone else?

flyhigh_

Postby flyhigh_ » Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:13 am

I would attend the highest ranked school.

You should also be wary of the market in those areas which is pretty much saturated not only with US law school graduates but also with redundancies. Popular areas such as capital markets is, as you know, extremely competitive so I go for the best school you can.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”