Stanford v. UVA Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
swfangirl

Bronze

Re: Stanford v. UVA

Post by swfangirl » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:03 pm

I think it really comes down to how much you value the relationship (and relationships in general) at this point in your life versus future/career prospects. Career prospects out of Stanford are better than UVa. As I said up there, at my age, at this point in my life, I wouldn't trade---if the relationship ended, it'd feel like a pretty awful sacrifice to make. That being said, long distance, your odds of it ending increase even more drastically. So it's a risk that the OP has to make with your own knowledge of your relationship and whether that's worth the gamble.

kak5n

Bronze

Post by kak5n » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:09 pm

swfangirl wrote:I think it really comes down to how much you value the relationship (and relationships in general) at this point in your life versus future/career prospects. Career prospects out of Stanford are better than UVa. As I said up there, at my age, at this point in my life, I wouldn't trade---if the relationship ended, it'd feel like a pretty awful sacrifice to make. That being said, long distance, your odds of it ending increase even more drastically. So it's a risk that the OP has to make with your own knowledge of your relationship and whether that's worth the gamble.
I have discussed it with my SO and we both feel that we can make it through... the only thing we were thinking about was how much it would suck to be so far away for three years, not necessarily any fear that it wouldn't last. There is also the timing issue of his being in school for another year after I start working, not to mention the whole headache of matching to residencies... we have a lot of thinking to do in the next couple of months!

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:19 pm

TheTallOne0602 wrote:Is it that high? That is ridiculously high. A .35 correlation would be a spectacular success for the people who write LSATs. I mean, I suppose this would not shock me, but that does seem amazingly high...
That's for the LSAT and GPA combined. And that's not nearly as high as people are making it out to be. People on here talk as if it's border line 1.0 or something--as if you can just give up on trying at NYU if you got a 160 LSAT--and like you're guaranteed to be top 10 percent if you got a 175.

Something to keep in mind about choosing UVA over Stanford to preserve your relationship. The difference between the 2 is something like getting a federal district clerkship vs. not; or working at Covington DC vs. working at Steptoe Johnson DC. In other words, you're not going to be screwed either way--but there's definitely a difference. If you love someone, the difference between working at a firm like Covington vs. one like Steptoe is definitely worth sacrificing.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:04 am

quakeroats wrote:a stronger IP program than UVA,
LOL that you think this should make a difference.
quakeroats wrote:and better employment and clerkship prospects
Uh, no.

Only someone who trolls for Duke as hard as you would insert them into a conversation when someone is clearly deciding between two schools that make a lot more sense for them.

swfangirl

Bronze

Post by swfangirl » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:05 am

kak5n wrote:
swfangirl wrote:I think it really comes down to how much you value the relationship (and relationships in general) at this point in your life versus future/career prospects. Career prospects out of Stanford are better than UVa. As I said up there, at my age, at this point in my life, I wouldn't trade---if the relationship ended, it'd feel like a pretty awful sacrifice to make. That being said, long distance, your odds of it ending increase even more drastically. So it's a risk that the OP has to make with your own knowledge of your relationship and whether that's worth the gamble.
I have discussed it with my SO and we both feel that we can make it through... the only thing we were thinking about was how much it would suck to be so far away for three years, not necessarily any fear that it wouldn't last. There is also the timing issue of his being in school for another year after I start working, not to mention the whole headache of matching to residencies... we have a lot of thinking to do in the next couple of months!
I think this is beyond the opinion of people in the interwebs, whose advice is coloured by personal experience. I've never been in love, so I find it difficult to ever think about making a life-changing career-changing decision based on a romantic relationship.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TheTallOne0602

New

Post by TheTallOne0602 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:24 am

BruceWayne wrote:
TheTallOne0602 wrote:Is it that high? That is ridiculously high. A .35 correlation would be a spectacular success for the people who write LSATs. I mean, I suppose this would not shock me, but that does seem amazingly high...
That's for the LSAT and GPA combined. And that's not nearly as high as people are making it out to be. People on here talk as if it's border line 1.0 or something--as if you can just give up on trying at NYU if you got a 160 LSAT--and like you're guaranteed to be top 10 percent if you got a 175.
Ah, it includes GPA. Well that makes more sense.

Still, .35 is very high. (Just curious, is that number across students within schools? Because if it is only within schools it would probably be an underestimate, but I'm not sure how you could measure it across schools...)

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:52 am

Wow, this thread, i didnt expect it to go this far and in so many directions lol

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:43 am

Anyways OP let us know what you decide down the road!

kak5n

Bronze

Post by kak5n » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:26 pm

Haha I most certainly did not expect this thread to go where it did either. I will let you all know when I have more info about financial aid and make my decision!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

FlightoftheEarls

Silver

Post by FlightoftheEarls » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:55 pm

RVP11 wrote:
Uh, no.

Only someone who trolls for Duke as hard as you would insert them into a conversation when someone is clearly deciding between two schools that make a lot more sense for them.
Edit: Harsh

But seriously, QO - trolling when unwarranted really does not make people more likely to go to Duke. You seem somewhat incapable of picking up on social cues, but I think your style may turn more people off to Duke than attract potential students.

imbored25

Bronze

Post by imbored25 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:54 pm

--ImageRemoved--

quakeroats

Silver

Post by quakeroats » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:32 pm

FlightoftheEarls wrote:
RVP11 wrote:
Uh, no.

But seriously, QO - trolling when unwarranted really does not make people more likely to go to Duke. You seem somewhat incapable of picking up on social cues, but I think your style may turn more people off to Duke than attract potential students.
To be fair, I'm not really tailoring this to you, or anyone else but the OP. I've posted lots of data to back up my assertions. Review my prior posts if you think otherwise. I've listed a number of reasons for the OP to consider Duke in deciding where to go, but the typical responses both here and in other treads ignore the arguments and data I post and jump straight to attacking me. I think a reasonable reader can determine who has the better argument.

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:02 pm

To be fair, I'm not really tailoring this to you, or anyone else but the OP. I've posted lots of data to back up my assertions. Review my prior posts if you think otherwise. I've listed a number of reasons for the OP to consider Duke in deciding where to go, but the typical responses both here and in other treads ignore the arguments and data I post and jump straight to attacking me. I think a reasonable reader can determine who has the better argument.
Ill be the reasonable reader.... yea your argument sucks.

cya

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

notanumber

Bronze

Post by notanumber » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:05 pm

quakeroats wrote: I think a reasonable reader can determine who has the better argument.
Nothing against Duke, but...
imbored25 wrote:--ImageRemoved--

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:20 pm

quakeroats wrote:
FlightoftheEarls wrote:
RVP11 wrote:
Uh, no.

Your data that you've posted in the past is bullshit. And it certainly isn't tailored to the OP's situation - your advice for the OP was: have you SO go to Duke Medicine instead of UVA medicine. That wasn't an option. So, with the choice between going to UVA and being with the SO or going to Stanford, the OP is left with a tough choice. But, your wading in here with your incessant trolling for Duke was a waste of breath.

As a married person, my advice to the OP is this - if you are committed to the relationship and willing to risk some opportunity cost, then go to UVA. But, if you're not sure about the relationship (especially since you're so young) or you think you can handle a very stressful long distance relationship, I'd strongly consider Stanford. UVA is a great school, but Stanford is better. That said, finish in the top 5% at both and you'll have the same opportunities. But, I'd much rather be median at Stanford than UVA.

Reedie

Bronze

Post by Reedie » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:27 pm

If medical apps are still going on UCSF is as good as just about anything, so Stanford could be made to work. Doesn't sound like that's an issue though.

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:29 pm

Reedie wrote:If medical apps are still going on UCSF is as good as just about anything, so Stanford could be made to work. Doesn't sound like that's an issue though.
UCSF is like the best med school in the country. Someone choosing UVA law probably doesnt have a chance at UCSF

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:49 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:
Reedie wrote:If medical apps are still going on UCSF is as good as just about anything, so Stanford could be made to work. Doesn't sound like that's an issue though.
UCSF is like the best med school in the country. Someone choosing UVA law probably doesnt have a chance at UCSF
UVA medicine is an awesome med school.

But, I doubt if OP's SO has much of an ability to apply to more schools at this point.

(1) It's late in the med school application cycle; and,

(2) It's expensive to apply to a lot of schools (paying airfare / travel expenses for everywhere you get interviews adds up quickly)

(3) Just getting into med school is difficult, let alone a very well respected program like UVA.

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:53 pm

AreJay711 wrote:
AssumptionRequired wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:How significant is your significant other ? The first year of both medical & law school is quite stressful for most students which can result in seeking comfort. Will you be there for each other ? Do you care ? Really comes down to how significant your significant other is to you.
This
And if it is pretty significant get a ring on someone's finger quickly.
In my experience, strong couples survive the distance. Less-than-strong couples don't survive, regardless of the proximity.

Absent children factor, OP should go to a school that's best for her and allow the relationship chips to fall where they may. Given the IP factor, that school is likely Stanford.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:03 pm

If you have the numbers to get into Stanford AND have an IP background, its a pretty good bet that you'll be able to swing biglaw out of UVA. Since thats the case, is the possibility of going to a more prestigious firm really worth spending 3 years away from your SO?

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:05 pm

Veyron wrote:If you have the numbers to get into Stanford AND have an IP background, its a pretty good bet that you'll be able to swing biglaw out of UVA. Since thats the case, is the possibility of going to a more prestigious firm really worth spending 3 years away from your SO?
If you notice OP everyone who has been giving good advice has included this in their answers; what it comes down to is how you feel about your SO. No message board can answer that question for you.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:47 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
Veyron wrote:If you have the numbers to get into Stanford AND have an IP background, its a pretty good bet that you'll be able to swing biglaw out of UVA. Since thats the case, is the possibility of going to a more prestigious firm really worth spending 3 years away from your SO?
If you notice OP everyone who has been giving good advice has included this in their answers; what it comes down to is how you feel about your SO. No message board can answer that question for you.
I really don't see how it comes down to that. To put it that way is to imply that OP's choice of SLS would signify she doesn't care about her SO as much. I don't think that's a fair way of phrasing her dilemma..

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:16 pm

People talk to much about getting into a prestegious firm. If you go to UVA and graduate top 15% (i know you might not), but if you do you could get multiple V10 offers. I know, not wachtell, but many others. This should not be THAT big of a consideration. Jones Day is a V20 and hires more from UVA then any other school.

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:19 pm

If this cycle, UVA for sure.

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:25 pm

Knock wrote:If this cycle, UVA for sure.
Why? to open a spot for you?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”