GULC buyers remorse? AKA how bad are employment prospects

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
nealric

Re: GULC buyers remorse? AKA how bad are employment prospects

Postby nealric » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:33 pm

Care to talk about how your job search went?

Got biglaw from OCI. Can't be more specific than that.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:40 pm

nealric wrote:
Care to talk about how your job search went?

Got biglaw from OCI. Can't be more specific than that.

What! People actually get jobs out of law school :shock:

Oh wait... no... that is only the TLS pessimism that has lodged in my brain.

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:45 pm

Clearly anyone in the bottom of the class at GULC can get biglaw if only they interview well, amirite?

Marionberry

Postby Marionberry » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:05 pm

MrAnon wrote:Clearly anyone in the bottom of the class at GULC can get biglaw if only they interview well, amirite?

None of your points are particularly compelling or well reasoned. Thanks for your input, though.

seatown12

Postby seatown12 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:09 am

DAisaka09 wrote:I'm definitely not dead set on big law but the idea of taking 180k in loans and not making 100k (this is an arbitrary number) does intimidate me. I'm from the Seattle area so I'd like to come back home eventually somewhere down the line and work for a mid sized firm but clearly that debt needs to get paid down somehow preferably sooner rather then later. Does anyone have any experience with GULC's LRAP? I am interested in PI and an ADA position sounds good to me but once again its hard to stomach when you are staring down all that debt.

If you don't care about BigLaw but are debt adverse you should try to get a massive scholarship from UW or even Seattle U. Don't spend a ton of cash on GULC if what you really wanna do is be a Seattle ADA/midlaw. Being in the market and available for networking/easy interviewing will more than outweigh any GULC name recognition effect, and you won't have the debt.

I wish I did this to be honest.

megaTTTron

Postby megaTTTron » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:23 am

seatown12 wrote:
DAisaka09 wrote:I'm definitely not dead set on big law but the idea of taking 180k in loans and not making 100k (this is an arbitrary number) does intimidate me. I'm from the Seattle area so I'd like to come back home eventually somewhere down the line and work for a mid sized firm but clearly that debt needs to get paid down somehow preferably sooner rather then later. Does anyone have any experience with GULC's LRAP? I am interested in PI and an ADA position sounds good to me but once again its hard to stomach when you are staring down all that debt.

If you don't care about BigLaw but are debt adverse you should try to get a massive scholarship from UW or even Seattle U. Don't spend a ton of cash on GULC if what you really wanna do is be a Seattle ADA/midlaw. Being in the market and available for networking/easy interviewing will more than outweigh any GULC name recognition effect, and you won't have the debt.

+1, but only if you're completely okay with working in Seattle/ Washington.

DAisaka09

Postby DAisaka09 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:38 am

Last edited by DAisaka09 on Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

DAisaka09

Postby DAisaka09 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:44 am

Last edited by DAisaka09 on Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:20 am

OP's numbers probably would not have landed a better school RD (maybe UVA ED?) and wouldn't be a guarantee at UWash either. GULC seems like a pretty good choice in this situation.

Postby 005618502 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:43 am

Im confused. People have said to sit a year out, re-apply next cycle and worse case go to GULC??? Isnt their ED binding? To apply to other schools next year he would have to withdraw or decline his acceptance this cycle, and have no chance in hell of them accepting him again after that.....am i in the dark about something?

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:45 am

With your GPA and LSAT I think you did well with G-town- I'd enjoy it. No one can say how exactly things will work out for you coming out of any school obv. More of the class from G-town will get big law than from 15-25 schools as a general rule, but then it is also true that the prospects haven't been great and you will face more competitive peers. With your numbers I think you'd get acceptances at a bunch of T25 schools (obviously) but I would question how large of schollys you will get. Half or less scholly at T20-T25 school isn't as good as G-town full price IMO (and I doubt you would get half-scholly or more at even that range).

Anyway, sounds to me like you did good for yourself, but if you are big law or bust there will be some financial risk involved wherever you go.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:47 am

megaTTTron

Postby megaTTTron » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:05 pm

DAisaka09 wrote:
megaTTTron wrote:
seatown12 wrote:

+1, but only if you're completely okay with working in Seattle/ Washington.

That's the thing, plans can change and I don't want to box myself in unnecessarily.

This is important to consider. If you get scholly money you've got to ask at what point no debt outweighs vs mobility. Plus, full tuition does not cover COL. It's a tough call. I'd go mobility over small debt if I wasn't sure.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:59 pm

FWIW I had a GULC 3L tell me that only about 20% of her classmates got Big Law offers from OCI. This person also struck out, but was able to get one of those elusive 80-100k jobs back home.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:13 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:FWIW I had a GULC 3L tell me that only about 20% of her classmates got Big Law offers from OCI. This person also struck out, but was able to get one of those elusive 80-100k jobs back home.

This anecdotal estimate seems considerably lower than actual stats I recall (NALP I think). Just because someone who goes to a school quotes a certain guesstimate doesn't mean it is close to accurate. I'm looking for data to link for this. Also, in addition to the fact that I think the actual stats were considerably better than your friend's estimate, remember that the 3Ls at G-town currently were in OCI during the very depths of the economy.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:39 pm

Lawquacious wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:FWIW I had a GULC 3L tell me that only about 20% of her classmates got Big Law offers from OCI. This person also struck out, but was able to get one of those elusive 80-100k jobs back home.

This anecdotal estimate seems considerably lower than actual stats I recall (NALP I think). Just because someone who goes to a school quotes a certain guesstimate doesn't mean it is close to accurate. I'm looking for data to link for this. Also, in addition to the fact that I think the actual stats were considerably better than your friend's estimate, remember that the 3Ls at G-town currently were in OCI during the very depths of the economy.

I agree with everything you said, hence the FWIW tag. That quote is probably only a good indicator of the "sky is falling" "woe is me" attitude that some portions of the gulc student body have. I'm not sure you could find a sane person at the school to tell you that it's worth sticker plus col and expenses to go to GULC. That isn't a knock on GULC, that's just reality.

nealric

Postby nealric » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:36 pm

I'm not sure you could find a sane person at the school to tell you that it's worth sticker plus col and expenses to go to GULC. That isn't a knock on GULC, that's just reality.

Call me insane, but I think it is worth sticker for certain people. I paid sticker, but there were other circumstances that kept my loans below six figures. I also think classes of 2011/2012 got the absolute worst of the recession. While we aren't seeing robust growth, firms aren't in "sky is falling" mode like they were in late 2008-2009. That, coupled with the deferment backlog means it's unlikely that incoming students will have it as bad as classes of 2011/12 had it.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:14 pm

nealric wrote:
I'm not sure you could find a sane person at the school to tell you that it's worth sticker plus col and expenses to go to GULC. That isn't a knock on GULC, that's just reality.

Call me insane, but I think it is worth sticker for certain people. I paid sticker, but there were other circumstances that kept my loans below six figures. I also think classes of 2011/2012 got the absolute worst of the recession. While we aren't seeing robust growth, firms aren't in "sky is falling" mode like they were in late 2008-2009. That, coupled with the deferment backlog means it's unlikely that incoming students will have it as bad as classes of 2011/12 had it.

I'm not sure less than six figures is considered paying sticker, but i feel ya

Knottsingham

Postby Knottsingham » Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:07 am

Lawquacious wrote:

What actual stats on NALP? Since when did schools' most recent employment info show up on NALP? Only 20% getting biglaw from Georgetown doesn't seem that unbelievable when other anecdotes said it was around 30%.

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:27 pm

This forever search to prove that the GULC employment stats are better than certain anecdotes suggest they are is as old as the sands of time. Why won't the school simply release full statistics or make a clean statement about the situation that is not open to interpretation or massaging?

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:09 pm

"A number of law schools hire their own graduates, some in hourly temp jobs that, as it turns out, coincide with the magical date. Last year, for instance, Georgetown Law sent an e-mail to alums who were “still seeking employment.” It announced three newly created jobs in admissions, paying $20 an hour. The jobs just happened to start on Feb. 1 and lasted six weeks.

A spokeswoman for the school said that none of these grads were counted as “employed” as a result of these hourly jobs. In a lengthy exchange of e-mails and calls, several different explanations were offered, the oddest of which came from Gihan Fernando, the assistant dean of career services. He said in an interview that Georgetown Law had “lost track” of two of the three alums, even though they were working at the very institution that was looking for them."

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/09/business/09law.html

HAHAHHAHHA. GULC is a JOKE.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:14 pm

MrAnon wrote:"A number of law schools hire their own graduates, some in hourly temp jobs that, as it turns out, coincide with the magical date. Last year, for instance, Georgetown Law sent an e-mail to alums who were “still seeking employment.” It announced three newly created jobs in admissions, paying $20 an hour. The jobs just happened to start on Feb. 1 and lasted six weeks.

A spokeswoman for the school said that none of these grads were counted as “employed” as a result of these hourly jobs. In a lengthy exchange of e-mails and calls, several different explanations were offered, the oddest of which came from Gihan Fernando, the assistant dean of career services. He said in an interview that Georgetown Law had “lost track” of two of the three alums, even though they were working at the very institution that was looking for them."

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/09/business/09law.html

HAHAHHAHHA. GULC is a JOKE.

If that's the case, so are schools like NU and every other school that is confirmed to do things like this.

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:07 pm

Agreed. But this is a very vivid example. Confirmed in the national newspaper of record.

123xalady

Postby 123xalady » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:41 pm

MrAnon wrote:Agreed. But this is a very vivid example. Confirmed in the national newspaper of record.

omg stopppp you're horrifyinggg--"the national newspaper of record"???? seriously?? The TImes is not god--they do their fair share of distortion/subtle editorializing.

Also--i bet columbia is NOT happy with their brief mention

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:34 am

MrAnon wrote:HAHAHHAHHA. GULC is a JOKE.

Has that line ever gotten you laid?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”