If I want to practice in LA I should go to...

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
NorCalBruin

If I want to practice in LA I should go to...

Postby NorCalBruin » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:12 pm

So, I think I want to practice in LA after law schools. I do have ties there, namely that I went to UCLA undergrad, worked in LA for a year after school, and have an aunt and uncle in OC.

That said, here are my options so far:

--Duke
--Cornell
--U. of Texas

Schools I have yet to hear from:

--Berkeley (probably Out)
--UCLA (wl/out)
--USC (prob. In)
--Loyola (prob in with $$)
--Chapman (prob in with $$$)

Thoughts? If I don't get into Ucla, then what is the best option? Would duke be as good of an option as UCLA if I have ties in LA?

Kcoolthnxbye

2Serious4Numbers

Re: If I want to practice in LA I should go to...

Postby 2Serious4Numbers » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:15 pm

USC is one of the better choices obviously, but i can't put a definite "best" on any of them

The Gentleman

Postby The Gentleman » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:24 pm

Why are you expecting a wl/ding from UCLA? If your numbers are good enough for Duke, then they are certainly good enough for UCLA.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:31 pm

The Gentleman wrote:Why are you expecting a wl/ding from UCLA? If your numbers are good enough for Duke, then they are certainly good enough for UCLA.

+1 is this a ucla troll?

I think UCLA is credited for LA area if you're sure you want to end up there.

NorCalBruin

Postby NorCalBruin » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:55 pm

I'm 167 / 3.8 --- so getting into duke and Cornell were reaches. So far I am out performing my numbers, but I don't expect to do that at ucla or Berkeley as well.

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:57 pm

The Gentleman wrote:Why are you expecting a wl/ding from UCLA? If your numbers are good enough for Duke, then they are certainly good enough for UCLA.

I got in a Penn, Mich, NU and Cornell and was dinged at UCLA a few years ago. They are bitches.

OP, go to USC. It's impossible to overstate the value of physically being where you want to practice as far as networking and making connections goes.

Shaggier1

Postby Shaggier1 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:16 pm

Why are you expecting a wl/ding from UCLA? If your numbers are good enough for Duke, then they are certainly good enough for UCLA.

This.

Anyway, w/r/t your question, I personally would not attend Duke/Cornell/Texas over USC if I knew with 100% certainty that I wanted to be in LA.

Spend some time looking at LA firms that interest your. Read the bios of the most recently hired associates. See where they went to school.

Good luck.

reverendt

Postby reverendt » Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:26 pm

johnnyutah wrote:OP, go to USC. It's impossible to overstate the value of physically being where you want to practice as far as networking and making connections goes.

This.
Unless you're at a top 10 school, you want UCLA or USC for LA.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:28 pm

reverendt wrote:
johnnyutah wrote:OP, go to USC. It's impossible to overstate the value of physically being where you want to practice as far as networking and making connections goes.

This.
Unless you're at a top 10 school, you want UCLA or USC for LA.

So tied for 10-11-12 isn't good enough???

ETA: so you really mean top 9 school?

Shaggier1

Postby Shaggier1 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:13 pm

Dude you are going to annoy so many people in law school. Just stop.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:13 pm

Shaggier1 wrote:

Dude you are going to annoy so many people in law school. Just stop.

You are annoying me, would you stop?

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:21 pm

You have ties in LA, so go to the best school you can: Duke.

Reedie

Postby Reedie » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:22 pm

I went to Duke despite California being my primary market. I got a scholarship and the cost of living in Durham is way less than LA. I actually didn't apply to UCLA because I was in graduate school there and really didn't want to be in the same place (nothing against UCLA itself which rocks). It's perfectly possible to go back west from Duke, so long as you have ties to the region. With that said UCLA is a great law school and being in the area will allow you to network and have access to more firms.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:23 pm

reverendt wrote:Unless you're at a top 10 school, you want UCLA or USC for LA.

Let me guess, you're a 0L?

"Top 10" is a stupid distinction. If you already have LA ties then Duke and Northwestern are better choices than UCLA/USC. Are below-median people from UCLA/USC getting any callbacks in LA BigLaw?

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:29 pm

Hands down Duke--it's not even close. You have very strong ties to LA and Duke is an elite school that will set you apart from the tons of USC/UCLA applicants. In addition, they'll hire you with lower grades from Duke than they would from UCLA/USC. Duke does pretty well in California.

And like RVP alluded to, I wouldn't be surprised if it's close to impossible to get a job at an LA firm as a below median USC/UCLA student.

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:34 pm

johnnyutah wrote:

I got in a Penn, Mich, NU and Cornell and was dinged at UCLA a few years ago. They are bitches.

OP, go to USC. It's impossible to overstate the value of physically being where you want to practice as far as networking and making connections goes.

Was your GPA on the low side? That would explain the bitch factor. As a side note, I was dinged at USC- after receiving their Rothman invite too. UCLA let me in with money as did other higher ranked schools. Meh.

I agree w/r/t location, but OP had better be getting money if he goes to USC.

BeachandRun23

Postby BeachandRun23 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:57 pm

UCLA. If no UCLA, id take duke. If you go to USC, show them those duke and cornell acceptances and try and get mucho $$$$ out of them.

lakerfanimal

Postby lakerfanimal » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:01 pm

BruceWayne wrote:Hands down Duke--it's not even close. You have very strong ties to LA and Duke is an elite school that will set you apart from the tons of USC/UCLA applicants. In addition, they'll hire you with lower grades from Duke than they would from UCLA/USC. Duke does pretty well in California.

And like RVP alluded to, I wouldn't be surprised if it's close to impossible to get a job at an LA firm as a below median USC/UCLA student.

That's awesome to hear. I don't doubt you, but was wondering why you think Duke places pretty well in CA?

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:28 pm

lakerfanimal wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:Hands down Duke--it's not even close. You have very strong ties to LA and Duke is an elite school that will set you apart from the tons of USC/UCLA applicants. In addition, they'll hire you with lower grades from Duke than they would from UCLA/USC. Duke does pretty well in California.

That's awesome to hear. I don't doubt you, but was wondering why you think Duke places pretty well in CA?

Assuming Duke does as well as UVA then it does fine in CA.

FlightoftheEarls

Postby FlightoftheEarls » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:37 pm

RVP11 wrote:You have ties in LA, so go to the best school you can: Duke.

Agreed. There will be significant value in being within a smaller crowd from a better school aiming for the LA market. I would much rather be median at Duke aiming for LA along with another 10-15 students as opposed to top 1/3 at UCLA aiming at LA along with ~200+ students (100 of which are higher ranked than I am).

UCLA is a great school, but Duke does just fine in California and with equal money would definitely be my choice in OP's situation.

Reedie

Postby Reedie » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:53 pm

Incidentally Duke places about as many students in California as North Carolina. NALP lists 53 California employers interviewing at Duke (146 at UCLA). Duke students hit a pretty wide cross section of markets, with no one market carrying a majority. From 2004-2009 the numbers are

NYC: 284
DC: 209
NC: 141
Cali: 118

Cali has been slightly trending upward at Duke.

Edit: I should add, that it's a little surprising how few Atlanta recruiters make the trip to Duke. Duke sends way more students in the NE corridor (NYC+DC) than to the New South.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:07 pm

Reedie wrote:Incidentally Duke places about as many students in California as North Carolina. NALP lists 53 California employers interviewing at Duke (146 at UCLA). Duke students hit a pretty wide cross section of markets, with no one market carrying a majority. From 2004-2009 the numbers are

NYC: 284
DC: 209
NC: 141
Cali: 118

Cali has been slightly trending upward at Duke.

Edit: I should add, that it's a little surprising how few Atlanta recruiters make the trip to Duke. Duke sends way more students in the NE corridor (NYC+DC) than to the New South.

Almost every big ATL firm I know of interviews at Duke (the exception is apparently McKenna). NALP shows 10 Atlanta firms going to Duke OCI - that's a lot. At any east coast school you can't expect more than about ten or twelve firms to come from each non-NYC/DC market.

Postby 005618502 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:12 pm

Duke, and like others have said, its not even close. Going to USC over Duke would be a mistake even if you want LA. I would say UCLA is also way below Duke. The only school on your list that would be better is Berkeley. And your not getting in with that GPA.

Go to Duke, do well, and use your ties to get back to LA.

Reedie

Postby Reedie » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:13 pm

RVP11 wrote:Almost every big ATL firm I know of interviews at Duke (the exception is apparently McKenna). NALP shows 10 Atlanta firms going to Duke OCI - that's a lot. At any east coast school you can't expect more than about ten or twelve firms to come from each non-NYC/DC market.

Yes, that's not what I meant. I didn't mean that Atlanta firms don't interview at Duke. I meant that it's interesting how much NY+DC still dominate hiring. The New South still doesn't have a big enough legal market (or an attractive enough one) to come in and grab big numbers of students from Duke and Virginia (and maybe even Vandy, I don't know their numbers).

Postby 005618502 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:16 pm

Reedie wrote:
RVP11 wrote:Almost every big ATL firm I know of interviews at Duke (the exception is apparently McKenna). NALP shows 10 Atlanta firms going to Duke OCI - that's a lot. At any east coast school you can't expect more than about ten or twelve firms to come from each non-NYC/DC market.

Yes, that's not what I meant. I didn't mean that Atlanta firms don't interview at Duke. I meant that it's interesting how much NY+DC still dominate hiring. The New South still doesn't have a big enough legal market (or an attractive enough one) to come in and grab big numbers of students from Duke and Virginia (and maybe even Vandy, I don't know their numbers).

Thats because the south as a whole is not very attractive. The coasts is where its at. Or i guess Texas for some people

Return to “Choosing a Law School”