.

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
reversejinx
Posts: 101
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:25 pm

.

Postby reversejinx » Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:33 pm

.
Last edited by reversejinx on Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:33 am, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Pure Prestige

Postby Grizz » Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:40 pm

reversejinx wrote:Which degree, in 50 years, when I'm an old man, will make the biggest impact when I tell some random person where I went to law school?


http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=141975

What you really want is this thread or the over 9000 like it all over the forum.

User avatar
megaTTTron
Posts: 980
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:26 pm

Re: Pure Prestige

Postby megaTTTron » Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:41 pm

reversejinx wrote:Quick poll. Leaving out YHS, because they're too obvious, and giving no consideration to location, practice specification (i.e. biglaw, PI, etc.), or price ITE. Just pure prestige. Which degree, in 50 years, when I'm an old man, will make the biggest impact when I tell some random person where I went to law school? (You have three votes, so please select the top three.)


So you mean lay prestige.

EDIT: damn, missed it by one!

reversejinx
Posts: 101
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:25 pm

Re: Pure Prestige

Postby reversejinx » Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:46 pm

.
Last edited by reversejinx on Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: Pure Prestige

Postby rayiner » Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:48 pm

None of them.

Everyone knows what H/Y are. The majority of lay persons have never heard of Columbia.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Pure Prestige

Postby r6_philly » Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:49 pm

rayiner wrote:None of them.

Everyone knows what H/Y are. The majority of lay persons have never heard of Columbia.


OP said leaving HYS out.

If you tell people Columbia the Ivy they will know the prestige. You just have to qualify that. Same as Penn. So I voted for the 3 Ivies.

User avatar
johnnyutah
Posts: 1709
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:00 pm

Re: Pure Prestige

Postby johnnyutah » Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:50 pm

I picked Duke and Georgetown, since they have basketball teams that win things.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Pure Prestige

Postby Grizz » Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:51 pm

I picked Cornell because of Andy Bernard.

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: Pure Prestige

Postby rayiner » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:25 pm

r6_philly wrote:
rayiner wrote:None of them.

Everyone knows what H/Y are. The majority of lay persons have never heard of Columbia.


OP said leaving HYS out.

If you tell people Columbia the Ivy they will know the prestige. You just have to qualify that. Same as Penn. So I voted for the 3 Ivies.


Yeah but you have to tell them that Columbia is an Ivy. Then it's only prestigious only by proxy - being put in the same group as H/Y.

User avatar
$1.99
Posts: 684
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:49 am

Re: Pure Prestige

Postby $1.99 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:29 pm

it is definitely not columbia, i have been around and no one knows what school that is. it is definitely berkeley, duke, and cornell.

User avatar
2Serious4Numbers
Posts: 340
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:14 pm

Re: Pure Prestige

Postby 2Serious4Numbers » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:32 pm

$1.99 wrote:it is definitely not columbia, i have been around and no one knows what school that is. it is definitely berkeley, duke, and cornell.


have to give the edge to duke with the nationally recognizable basketball team

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Pure Prestige

Postby r6_philly » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:32 pm

rayiner wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
rayiner wrote:None of them.

Everyone knows what H/Y are. The majority of lay persons have never heard of Columbia.


OP said leaving HYS out.

If you tell people Columbia the Ivy they will know the prestige. You just have to qualify that. Same as Penn. So I voted for the 3 Ivies.


Yeah but you have to tell them that Columbia is an Ivy. Then it's only prestigious only by proxy - being put in the same group as H/Y.


True, but at least you can legitimately apply prestige by proxy. Others on the list can't even be placed in the same league/level as HYP.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Pure Prestige

Postby r6_philly » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:32 pm

2Serious4Numbers wrote:
$1.99 wrote:it is definitely not columbia, i have been around and no one knows what school that is. it is definitely berkeley, duke, and cornell.


have to give the edge to duke with the nationally recognizable basketball team


UNC.

reversejinx
Posts: 101
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:25 pm

Re: Pure Prestige

Postby reversejinx » Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:00 pm

.
Last edited by reversejinx on Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Pure Prestige

Postby romothesavior » Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:14 pm

Columbia, Duke, Cornell. In the midwest, Northwestern.

User avatar
mrmangs
Posts: 674
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:28 pm

Re: Pure Prestige

Postby mrmangs » Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:14 pm

I don't get why people would think Cornell is prestigious (or, at least, moreso than, say, Columbia). Most in the know consider it to be low on the Ivy totem pole, if a "real" Ivy at all (if you're going to be an Ivy prestige douche, at least be going to HYP). Most not in the know don't even recognize the name (at least, not anymore than they do Columbia's... and really, if you have to rely on "Ivy proxy prestige" with a lay person in either case, they will be ascribed the same amount of prestige). Maybe "the Office" has changed the game?

FWIW, I put Columbia, Duke, and Berkeley.

User avatar
Lawquacious
Posts: 2037
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:36 am

Re: Pure Prestige

Postby Lawquacious » Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:23 pm

rayiner wrote:None of them.

Everyone knows what H/Y are. The majority of lay persons have never heard of Columbia.



? I think Columbia has a lot of lay prestige and that tons of people know its an Ivy, but certainly not in the way that H/Y/S are known.

In terms of law school lay prestige (and not general name prestige) I'm sure there are tons of people out there who don't even know Yale has a law school. The same person would prob know that Yale is generally one of the best schools though, and thus be impressed if someone told them they were going to Yale Law. I guess my point is that in gauging lay prestige you're dealing with (hypothetical) people who aren't fully informed yet about the nuances of law schools (what is the value of that really?).
Last edited by Lawquacious on Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
mrmangs
Posts: 674
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:28 pm

Re: Pure Prestige

Postby mrmangs » Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:25 pm

Lawquacious wrote:I guess my point is that in gauging lay prestige the whole point is that youre dealing with people who aren't fully informed yet about the nuances of law schools (what is the value of that really?).


I think there is some value to it. Yeah, it won't help you with hiring partners at law firms, because they obviously know what's up, but it might help you interacting with clients and business people (the latter esp if you go transactional).

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Pure Prestige

Postby r6_philly » Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:28 pm

mrmangs wrote:
Lawquacious wrote:I guess my point is that in gauging lay prestige the whole point is that youre dealing with people who aren't fully informed yet about the nuances of law schools (what is the value of that really?).


I think there is some value to it. Yeah, it won't help you with hiring partners at law firms, because they obviously know what's up, but it might help you interacting with clients and business people (the latter esp if you go transactional).


I came across quite a few Cooley grads as partners in Philly when I was doing my firm research this week. Just saying.

User avatar
johnnyutah
Posts: 1709
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:00 pm

Re: Pure Prestige

Postby johnnyutah » Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:32 pm

r6_philly wrote:I came across quite a few Cooley grads as partners in Philly when I was doing my firm research this week. Just saying.

Hahah, what firms?

User avatar
Lawquacious
Posts: 2037
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:36 am

Re: Pure Prestige

Postby Lawquacious » Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:33 pm

mrmangs wrote:
Lawquacious wrote:I guess my point is that in gauging lay prestige the whole point is that youre dealing with people who aren't fully informed yet about the nuances of law schools (what is the value of that really?).


I think there is some value to it. Yeah, it won't help you with hiring partners at law firms, because they obviously know what's up, but it might help you interacting with clients and business people (the latter esp if you go transactional).


Yeah, that's true- name prestige can carry some weight. I don't really think considering these things is pointless. However, I think the U.S. legal field is probably way too caught up in the issue of prestige (including myself), and that there are some negative consequences of focusing on prestige (e.g. it can become difficult to be open to objective information that may not be consistent with the prestige value given to an institution).

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Pure Prestige

Postby kalvano » Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:33 pm

Any time I see someone on TV going to a law school, it's always Georgetown.

reversejinx
Posts: 101
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:25 pm

Re: Pure Prestige

Postby reversejinx » Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:33 pm

.
Last edited by reversejinx on Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: Pure Prestige

Postby Bildungsroman » Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:35 pm

This thread is familiar.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Pure Prestige

Postby r6_philly » Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:35 pm

johnnyutah wrote:
r6_philly wrote:I came across quite a few Cooley grads as partners in Philly when I was doing my firm research this week. Just saying.

Hahah, what firms?


What you want me to dig them back up? I wasn't writing names down. There were also quite a few WCU (my UG) -> Widener partners. So what's wrong with T4? :D

I browsed firms on this list and a few others:

http://www.averyindex.com/philadelphia.php




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: TheSpanishMain and 3 guests