Why, or why not, Wash U.?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Why, or why not, Wash U.?

Postby StateSchoolSplitter » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:58 pm

Numbers suggest $ (as opposed to $$+); best school I'm in to; I don't care about the market but I dream of mid-BIGLAW or BIGGOV. However, to have this thread endure for posterity, why should Wustl be considered by anyone? What are the pros and cons of attending? What's student life like...what is life like for graduates?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Why, or why not, Wash U.?

Postby MrAnon » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:35 pm

Career success is a struggle for anyone outside the top 10 of 15 students in a given graduating class. The reputation has never caught up with the ranking and never will. The fortunate thing is that many students think Wash U is a national school so they come from far and wide for the law school experience. The chances that you will have to compete with them for a job after graduation is slim because they will return to their home and you will return to yours and look for employment after graduation. So it is not like Fordham where everyone just piles out into manhattan and looks for work. On the other hand outside of Missouri most people will think you went to law school in washington state. I would go to the best school near the place you want to work rather than move across the country for wash u.

Re: Why, or why not, Wash U.?

Postby romothesavior » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:51 pm

MrAnon wrote:Career success is a struggle for anyone outside the top 10 of 15 students in a given graduating class.

This is outrageously stupid. So only the top 3-5% of the class are going to have a good career? Even if you mean top 10-15%, that is also ridiculous.

Okay, with that said... OP, I believe that WUSTL is a good school all around. The faculty are great, the students are laid back but very bright, the campus is gorgeous, and St. Louis can be a fun place to spend a few years. I have enjoyed it a lot so far.

But is it worth the kind of money you are looking to spend on it? For me, I'd say probably no. This is a personal choice and I can't tell you what is best for you, but if you're only looking at a few thousand in scholly money and you have no interest in the midwest or in St. Louis, then you would likely be better served going elsewhere. I chose Wash U because I want to be in St. Louis (or the midwest generally) and I got a sizeable scholarship.

You will have to be in the top 1/3 to have any shot at big law, and probably more like top 25% to have a realistic shot (absent some sort of stellar background or something). While I certainly think Mr. Anon is waaaaay off base (only 15 students having a decent career? lolwut), I do think things drop off significantly for those outside of the top 1/3, and being sub-median will create a real struggle for you. I think most WUSTL students do find legal jobs, but underemployment is a real concern. I'd rather settle for a 40k per year job with little to no debt in the market I want to be in than settle for a job like that with tons of debt in a market I have no interest in.

Just some stuff to chew on. Feel free to PM me or post a question in the WUSTL 1L Taking Questions thread.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”