To Practice in Dallas....

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
ZSR10

To Practice in Dallas....

Postby ZSR10 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:38 pm

Alright so I have put in all of my application and am waiting to hear back. So far I have been accepted to Baylor and expect about a half-ride to be offered in the next month or so in addition to a scholarship from one of their donating families, unofficial acceptance and full ride to Texas Tech, (Dean is a friend of the family and really wants me there), expecting acceptance from SMU but only got my app in about 3 weeks ago, and am really hoping (though it is a reach) for acceptance to Texas and William and Mary.
(sorry, wall of text with awful grammar)

William and Mary has always been my dream school due to its size, the happiness of the student body, etc. however I do not want to practice anywhere other than Texas and really want to stay in the Dallas/Fort Worth area.

Any suggestions on where I go if I want to wind up in Dallas? (I realize that Baylor law is pretty well hated around here but I went to undergrad at Baylor so Waco does not bother me)

RVP11

Re: To Practice in Dallas....

Postby RVP11 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:44 pm

ZSR10 wrote:Alright so I have put in all of my application and am waiting to hear back. So far I have been accepted to Baylor and expect about a half-ride to be offered in the next month or so in addition to a scholarship from one of their donating families, unofficial acceptance and full ride to Texas Tech, (Dean is a friend of the family and really wants me there), expecting acceptance from SMU but only got my app in about 3 weeks ago, and am really hoping (though it is a reach) for acceptance to Texas and William and Mary.
(sorry, wall of text with awful grammar)

William and Mary has always been my dream school due to its size, the happiness of the student body, etc. however I do not want to practice anywhere other than Texas and really want to stay in the Dallas/Fort Worth area.

Any suggestions on where I go if I want to wind up in Dallas? (I realize that Baylor law is pretty well hated around here but I went to undergrad at Baylor so Waco does not bother me)

Are you from the DFW area? If so, W&M could be a better choice than anything else you have (provided you don't get into SMU or UT), even for returning to TX.

Also, are you looking for BigLaw?

ZSR10

Postby ZSR10 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:51 pm

Yes I am from DFW and have a large networking base here. If by Biglaw you mean a large firm then yes I would like to get into one of the bigger firms. I have pretty good connections at Jackson Walker as well as at Vincent and Elkins and Kelly Hart and Hallman. That said I would be willing to go to a smaller firm or go to work for a corp. if the money is right. I wanna do oil and gas/real estate law at this point, hence the wanting to stay in Dallas. Yes I know Houston is the place for oil and gas but I hate Houston with a passion and could never live there.

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:12 pm

Your numbers are presumably on the cusp between SMU and UT.

SMU should be your go to school. Attending William and Mary will not hurt your chances of coming back to Texas - HOWEVER - your ability to intern during the academic year in Dallas is worth more than any school between SMU and UT (with the exception of Vanderbilt).

Thus, if you don't get into UT or Vanderbilt, the credited response is SMU.

If, by some stretch of the imagination, you don't get into SMU, sit out a year and do what it takes to ensure that you get accepted to SMU/UT/Vanderbilt next cycle.

Postby 20160810 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:39 pm

W&M is better than SMU by a small margin, I guess, but not by enough that it makes sense to go there if you want to work in Dallas.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:59 pm

UT or SMU should be your target school.

TT09

Postby TT09 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:07 pm

kalvano wrote:UT or SMU should be your target school.

+1. Wouldn't even mess with W&M.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:27 pm

SMU or Texas.

flyhigh_

Postby flyhigh_ » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:32 pm

Don't neglect Houston law but since you want to say in Dallas it should be SMU.

ZSR10

Postby ZSR10 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:04 pm

Why do you guys say Vanderbuilt?

HowdyYall

Postby HowdyYall » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:11 pm

ZSR10 wrote:Why do you guys say Vanderbuilt?

lolz

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:13 pm

Vandy seems to place surprisingly well in DFW. Not sure why, but, anecdotally, I ran into lots of Vandy law students when interviewing in Dallas this past semester.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:15 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:Your numbers are presumably on the cusp between SMU and UT.

SMU should be your go to school. Attending William and Mary will not hurt your chances of coming back to Texas - HOWEVER - your ability to intern during the academic year in Dallas is worth more than any school between SMU and UT (with the exception of Vanderbilt).

Thus, if you don't get into UT or Vanderbilt, the credited response is SMU.

If, by some stretch of the imagination, you don't get into SMU, sit out a year and do what it takes to ensure that you get accepted to SMU/UT/Vanderbilt next cycle.

+1

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:15 pm

HowdyYall wrote:

lolz

ZSR10

Postby ZSR10 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:17 pm

other than spelling is there a reason this is funny?

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:18 pm

ZSR10 wrote:other than spelling is there a reason this is funny?

Dude, you have connections. Just milk those, and everything else is gravy. hth

HowdyYall

Postby HowdyYall » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:21 pm

ZSR10 wrote:other than spelling is there a reason this is funny?

naw, just wanted to make sure everyone here knows I am superior because I know how to spell the name of a random school and you dont. Carry on

Return to “Choosing a Law School”